THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Gunsmithing (no politics)  (Read 143461 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: Gunsmithing (no politics)
« Reply #100 on: 23 Mar 2014, 09:28 »

Tacticooling doesn't necessarily mean accessories that don't detract from the overall function or appearance of the weapon.
I was saying tacticooling meant accessories that DO detract.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #101 on: 23 Mar 2014, 09:52 »

Well technically a foregrip and a shitty scope don't detract from functionality. They're still useless though.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #102 on: 27 Mar 2014, 11:31 »

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/california-lawmaker-faces-gun-corruption-charges

This industry is a rough one when those who make the law undermine it. Especially when those people are closing the noose on the necks of legit businessmen and law abiding citizens while apparently supporting the worst kind of criminal scum.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #103 on: 27 Mar 2014, 15:04 »

Er... No politics?

I dropped in here to ask a question. What is the generic term for a holster on the same side as the drawing hand? I mean the opposite of a "cross draw". The question came up in an RPG context, and I realised that I had no idea.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #104 on: 27 Mar 2014, 15:50 »

There's nothing law based or political about that, it is important industry news though.

To answer your question it's "strong side"

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #105 on: 27 Apr 2014, 07:38 »

I'm looking to get into recreational distance shooting when I get home. Do any of y'all have recommendations for platform to start off with? I'm currently split pretty equally between the classic Remington 700, or going with a Savage 110. My only real requirement is that the action be left-handed, and .338 LaPua Magnum for caliber. My overall goal is to work up to surpassing Corporal Craig Harrison's 2707m confirmed shot in Afghanistan a few years back. Would it be worth the extra pennies to spring for a bull barrel? How much do you think the barrel harmonics would be affected if I had it tapped and drilled for a compensator?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #106 on: 27 Apr 2014, 08:16 »

Go with the 700. Out of the box you're getting significantly better accuracy. You also want the heavy barrel for sure. I'd also get the following upgrades immediately:

Timany trigger (Really do some research on a trigger upgrade, Timany's good, but you can probably find even better towards what you want)
Leupold Scope (Invest this cash up front, it'll be worth it and save you buying a better scope down the road)
Harris Bipod

Future upgrades:
Stock swap for something more competition grade Accuracy International is the best of the best
If you don't want to shell out for an AI stock, find something similar and make sure it's professionally installed, you want it pillared and glass bedded, especially if you stick with wood.

Good luck!

Nikolai

« Reply #107 on: 27 Apr 2014, 12:05 »

I'm trading my current finished AR lower for a mil-spec Leo my armorer "acquired", and I "found" a Harris bipod during a mass weapons cleaning event that was a favor to a sister Company a couple months back.

The reason I was considering the Savage is a while back, The Firearm Blog posted a video of a fellow landing rounds on-target at 2500m using a 110 BA. Someone posted this in the comment section:

My original intent was 2000m, but I'd really like to push a rifle/round out as far as I can get it.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #108 on: 15 May 2014, 00:02 »

You want the Remington at the very least for 2000m plus. I like Savage, but...

In other news, some pretty interesting Q&A stuff courtesy of the ATF recently:
http://imgur.com/a/vt2Qz

and for you lovely motherfuckers like me who want to own lots and lots of class III toys:
http://blog.princelaw.com/2014/05/14/did-atfs-determination-on-nics-checks-open-the-door-for-manufacture-of-new-machineguns-for-trusts/

[singing]Do you wanna build a Browning?
ATF says we can go out and play
Gatling guns and more
Just open the door
Form a trust and we're away
F-Troop used to be real Nazis
but now they're starting to slip
get your tools
Do you wanna build a Browning?
It doesn't have to be a Browning.[/singing]

Nikolai

« Reply #109 on: 15 May 2014, 01:21 »

Compromise: Savage in a smaller, less expensive caliber to ease into the learning curve, and Remington further down the road once I know what I'm doing. Because all my long distance shots to date have been pulling triggers on a 120mm smoothbore.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #110 on: 15 May 2014, 04:54 »

If that's the route you wanna go. I'd go with .308 if it's distance shooting you eventually want and you don't want to go with the Lapua right off the bat.

I also admit I question the Savage action. A lot. but that is absolutely personal bias because I just think of their rifles as being cheap.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #111 on: 15 May 2014, 05:58 »

Because all my long distance shots to date have been pulling triggers on a 120mm smoothbore.

:-D When you care enough to send the very best: "On the Way"!  :-D

Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #112 on: 15 May 2014, 06:34 »

Load Heat! Up! On the way!

Nikolai

« Reply #113 on: 16 May 2014, 12:37 »

Oh jeebuz what I would give to get an "expend all ammunition".

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #114 on: 21 May 2014, 19:31 »

So I've been planning out my three big projects for gunsmithing school.

Project rifle 1: .456 Win Mag, Mauser Action, heavy barrel, wood stock, iron sights, tapped and drilled to take a scope. Internal magazine... probably will get three or four rounds in there if I'm lucky. This is set up as a dangerous game rifle. .456 Win Mag means I can take game just about any where in the world, and the Mauser action is a great one as a bolt gun for fast follow up shots and clearing malfunctions. I chose this as my first project rifle because it MUST be a traditional American bolt gun, and a big game rifle is not something I would purchase of my own accord.

Project 2: RIA+ Program - Not a full project so to speak, I have a couple hundred hours of gunsmithing (approximately 100 guns worth) of "actual" gunsmithing to do before I can start my final project weapon, I can however work on my own weapons which will include taking my RIA 1911A1 and upgrading it with some VERY sexy parts from Wilson Combat to include a WC Match trigger, combat extended safety, skeletonized hammer, match grade barrel AND most importantly dovetail high vis sights to replace the old school blade sights my baby has on there now.

Project 3: This is my final project and I have plenty of freedom in how it gets done. To that end it's going to be a Cooper style scout rifle in .308 based on the Rem 700 short action with a timany trigger (assuming I can find one), a mod so I can feed my .308 magazines, iron sights with a relief scope mounted forward of the action, and a wooden stock I'm going to carve in the Dragunov style. Receiver will be pillared and glass bedded. If I do it right the rifle will be less than 1 meter in length, and less than 3 kilograms in weight. That restriction may make me switch to a "plastic" stock, but I think the wood cutouts for the Dragunov style stock should save enough weight in theory.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #115 on: 22 May 2014, 08:17 »

I grew up in rural Oklahoma, and ours was a hunting family, so we had lots of guns in the house.  I'm not really an enthusiast myself, but I respect the craft and art that goes into gunsmithing.

My cousin, however, is a different story.  My younger cousin Brian is the head gunsmith at the gun shop on the animal planet show, Wild Alaska.  I've only ever seen one episode, and he and I aren't close, but yeah - we're related.

It's kind of funny, he was always pretending to be on television shows when we were kids, and now he is.  I guess it was meant to be.

His claim is that there's not a gun he can't make - and from his reputation, I guess it's true.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #116 on: 06 Jun 2014, 13:15 »

Any one know what this beauty is?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #117 on: 06 Jun 2014, 13:19 »

A work of art, that's for sure.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Grognard

« Reply #118 on: 06 Jun 2014, 19:45 »

got to be some specialty safari gun.
lessee here.
a 7mm rifle,
over two .450 ? Express
over a 20 ga.
:?:
talk about your All-In-One.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #119 on: 06 Jun 2014, 20:34 »

Yeah... that was what I was thinking. Some rich hunter only wanted to buy one gun for literally fucking everything.

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
  • This avatar shall remain in perpetuity after all.
    • My Twitter or whatever.
« Reply #120 on: 08 Jun 2014, 12:10 »

It's a drilling - a three or four barrel combo gun for... basically what you stated.  They're more popular as hunting weapons in Europe, and that's where most of them are made, by specialty gunsmiths that don't do anything else.  Who made this one I can't say but I'd venture a guess that it's German.
Other than that I have no opinion.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #121 on: 08 Jun 2014, 16:48 »

I suppose that would make sense in countries where firearms are difficult or expensive to acquire. There's also the fact that that weapon probably cost more than a mid grade sports car.

Grognard

« Reply #122 on: 08 Jun 2014, 20:41 »

I don't know who made it where, or what all is chambered,
but I think it is a beautiful piece of art.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #123 on: 09 Jun 2014, 04:00 »

« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2014, 06:52 by GarandMarine »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #124 on: 14 Jun 2014, 07:45 »

Meanwhile in the People's Republic of China, confiscated revolver shotguns.

Local made too.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #125 on: 14 Jun 2014, 08:29 »

Before I saw the picture, I was imagining a giant handgun that somehow shot shotgun shells. I know that doesn't make sense at all, but I'm still disappointed.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #126 on: 14 Jun 2014, 10:49 »

Dude. Look at it. You REALLY aren't far off there.

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #127 on: 14 Jun 2014, 11:08 »

Oh man that's cool.  I wonder how they made the cylinder-advance mechanism work.  They're apparently pump-action and I doubt they would have gone to the trouble of adding the slide if you still had to rotate the cylinder by hand, but there's no cam track on the outside of the cylinder and it doesn't seem like there's quite enough room for a traditional ratchet-and-pawl mechanism.  Or maybe a Striker-style clockwork spring, I don't know.  In any case I'd love to get my hands on one and take it apart.

ETA: That's also one hell of an industrious operation if these are all clandestine-manufacture.  Most situations like this, the builders settle for STEN-style tube guns for the sake of simplicity.  This took dedication.

Also as cool as these are I would not want to light one off with a 12ga stockless shotgun with a grip like that.  That's gotta hurt.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #128 on: 14 Jun 2014, 11:38 »

The triads don't fuck around

Grognard

« Reply #129 on: 14 Jun 2014, 21:13 »

I thought they were pump style paintball markers at first.....

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #130 on: 17 Jun 2014, 07:50 »

Reading the Chinese characters ( 刑事警察局 or Criminal Investigation Bureau) on the sheets, and looking at the logo printed underneath (which includes the badge of the Taiwanese National Police Agency, I think that photograph was taken in Taiwan, not the PRC. I remember reading that a man had been arrested there some time ago (2005?), I think, for running an "underground arsenal" making those things for criminal gangs. I recall the reports saying that the cylinder was rotated by hand, and the "pump action" simply served to cock the hammer.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #131 on: 17 Jun 2014, 08:26 »

Crude. But effective.

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #132 on: 17 Jun 2014, 12:26 »

Adding a pump slide to recock the hammer/striker (can't tell which it is) seems like a grossly inefficient use of shop time and materials when you still have to rotate the cylinder by hand.

Grognard

« Reply #133 on: 17 Jun 2014, 15:13 »

agreed.

I think the recoil would be VICIOUS with any shot over 20 ga.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #134 on: 17 Jun 2014, 16:35 »

What is the difference between a hammer and a striker?

As for the "pump action", I am guessing it is rational from a safety/ergonomic point of view. I don't think you'd want to carry something like that around cocked, since I'm sure it has no sort of safety-catch. Without the pump thing, the firer would have to take a hand off the pistol-grip or fore-grip, of a rather unbalanced weapon, to pull back the hammer/striker. With the pump, the firer would be able to keep both hands in their proper position while readying the gun to fire. It does seem odd though that the maker didn't include some kind of stud-and-cam type arrangement, having already done a substantial part of the work, but perhaps that required more sophisticated machining than he was equipped to do.

I googled "cam stud operated revolver", and found this. Of course, as an avid fan of the Ghost In The Shell universe, I was aware of semi-automatic revolvers since Togusa carries one in the manga and anime, but this looks like something straight out of a steampunk comic.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #135 on: 17 Jun 2014, 17:12 »

Ah yes, the Webley-Fosbery Self-Cocking Automatic Revolver. Interesting piece. No where near my beloved Mateba Unica 6 (an affection I share with Togusa-san as it happens) but an interesting modification of the classic Webley service revolver. The two guns that really sealed the Webley's fate were Browning's 1911 and of course the Luger. Semi-Automatic pistols, especially combat reliable ones, were more then enough to put even neat tech revolvers the the Webley-Fosbery out of practice.

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #136 on: 17 Jun 2014, 23:55 »

What is the difference between a hammer and a striker?

A hammer is a rotating body mounted on an axle that is usually (but not always) separate from the firing pin.  A striker is a linear-sliding body that usually (but not always) has the firing pin mounted directly to its front.  Basically just a heavy firing pin that's driven by the mainspring directly.  (ETA: The mainspring being named so because, whether driving a striker or hammer, it's the spring that actually makes the gun fire.)  Illustrated example.  Many if not most recent semiauto pistols (including the Glock) and the overwhelming majority of bolt-action rifle designs all use strikers instead of hammers.

The thing on the upper-rear of those clandestine shotguns could be the top of a hammer, but it reminds me more of the striker cocking handles on the sides of various 37mm flare guns.  It's also mounted kind of high to be a hammer, it would be at a mechanical disadvantage to driving the firing pin fast enough in that position.

It does seem odd though that the maker didn't include some kind of stud-and-cam type arrangement, having already done a substantial part of the work, but perhaps that required more sophisticated machining than he was equipped to do.
<snip>
I googled "cam stud operated revolver", and found this.

Yeah, English Webley-Fosbery, like GM said.  That's exactly what I was talking about when I said...

. . .but there's no cam track on the outside of the cylinder. . .

Another and, in this case, even more relevant example is the Pancor Jackhammer, an aborted prototype area denial weapon fully-automatic auto-revolver shotgun.

As for Ghost in the Shell, I've never read the manga, but in the first movie I don't remember it ever being stated definitively that Togusa's revolver was an auto-revolver per se, and to me it looked more like a MATEBA 2006M - which was a conventional double-action, rather than an auto-revolver, with the 6 o'clock barrel.  Sadly never made available in the states.  I don't remember what his gun looked like in the series.  Of course I don't think GitS did as good a job with guns in general as Cowboy Bebop (although fridge logic makes me wonder why the Bebop world has had almost no new gun designs in 70 years, I mean we've hit a technological plateau but not that badly,) but then, I didn't watch it for the guns, I watched it for the writing.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2014, 02:54 by Caspian Sea Monster »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #137 on: 24 Jun 2014, 14:45 »

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/06/daniel-zimmerman/p320-entry-gun-fetish/

Well. I can't argue. I am also very likely feeding my fetish with a brand new FAL before I head home in late July.

I will also be getting L1A1 style wood grips for her to pretty her up. I was going to do them myself... but I'm lazy.

http://www.silvercrescentindustries.com/product.php?line=FAL-L1A1

Torture testing an FAL
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2014, 08:00 by GarandMarine »

Noxx

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #138 on: 03 Jul 2014, 10:32 »

Tagging this thread for myself, as a new forum user I'm also a collector of pre-1960 American and Russian arms.
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #139 on: 03 Jul 2014, 11:33 »

Pics or shens new friend

In other news the guy selling the FAL is being a poopy head. Fucker got the check yesterday is cash in it today and says he'll try to ship on Saturday my only issue with that is it supposed to fucking money order so it's not like I can withdraw the funds into as good as cash ship my shit dick bag

Noxx

Gunsmithing (no politics)
« Reply #140 on: 03 Jul 2014, 12:44 »

Removed.
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2014, 13:08 by Noxx »
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #141 on: 03 Jul 2014, 14:19 »

my only issue with that is it supposed to fucking money order so it's not like I can withdraw the funds into as good as cash ship my shit dick bag
I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #142 on: 03 Jul 2014, 14:21 »

A postal money order in the United States is literally as good as cash. I sent the guy who is selling me this rifle a postal money order so if he has it is literally the same as if he had cash in hand and it is guaranteed by the United States government. The fucker is depositing it in the Bank today text and will try to get shipped by Saturday I supposed to shipping it today when he got cash in hand after cob yesterday and that is complete bullshit

Nikolai

« Reply #143 on: 03 Jul 2014, 17:54 »

Had my first range day (civilian) last weekend, splurged on a pair of new pistols; Springfield XDS-45 3.3, and a Beretta U22 Neos, 6in barrel.

Thoughts so far: The XDS kicks like a mule, but that was to be expected with a...what would this be considered? A micro-compact? It's literally the size and thickness of my hand. I haven't run any serious accuracy tests on it, just sort of breaking it in for now. It'll hit a 2in steel target at 15m reasonably well (I'm going to blame most of it on shooter error). The only thing I'm not super keen on is the slide release is quite stiff, and rather small. I'll see how it fares through the next couple hundred rounds, and be looking into an aftermarket replacement in the meantime.

The Beretta U22 is quite a joy to shoot. The 6in barrel makes it a tack-driver; I was scoring hits at 15m on my steel rolling target with the plate face nearly perpendicular to me. The slide operates similar to the Desert Eagle in that only the back half recoils. This allows the pistol to chew through even the lowest grade .22lr ammunition with minimal ejection issues. About 400 rounds in, American Eagle rounds were starting to not fully clear the port, I'm sure due to the combination of quality and build-up of carbon on the extractor. I'm debating going out and getting my Patriot on tomorrow, if it happens I'll take some pictures and let y'all know my further thoughts.

Noxx

« Reply #144 on: 26 Jul 2014, 07:58 »

I may sell my Johnson to finance a custom battle rifle build, but I'm on the fence, because it's irreplaceable if I do.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #145 on: 26 Jul 2014, 08:15 »

I'd say save up for the custom build instead of selling the Johnson to finance it. You can ALWAYS get a battle rifle to your specs, rare arms that you will 100% never see again? Not so much.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #146 on: 26 Jul 2014, 20:25 »

I may sell my Johnson
Phrasing

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Noxx

« Reply #147 on: 28 Jul 2014, 22:05 »

Got a mess of Polymer 80% lowers in today, Planning on getting most of them milled out this week if it's not too hot in the garage. My biggest concern at the moment is sourcing lower parts kits that are inexpensive, but still contain a halfway decent trigger. I've never built "on the cheap" before, so I don't have any personal experience with units from places like Palmetto and DPMS

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #148 on: 29 Jul 2014, 07:19 »

I use a Palmetto lower parts kit on my AR and it's fantastic. I'd personally recommend them. Trigger is comparable to the ones I used in the service, so they aren't the best, but they'll do work for you.

Don't buy ANYTHING from DPMS if you can avoid it. I like Russian/Eastern Block guns so I appreciate a cheap weapon, but DPMS is a little too cheap for me if you get my meaning.

In other news I'm in the process of picking up a Mosin Nagant M91/30 from those fine people over at Cabela's. She's a 1941 issue Soviet rifle and is 100% matching.

Noxx

« Reply #149 on: 29 Jul 2014, 08:06 »

Thanks for the feedback GM. I've got a closet full of Mosins, I love anything in 54R.

Make sure you cook out all the dead Cosmo, check pin protusion, and pull the bolt apart for cleaning before you take her out. I've seen out of battery kabooms more than once from damaged / stuck firing pins. Buddy of mine has a hell of a scar.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up