THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Gunsmithing (no politics)  (Read 143383 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Gunsmithing (no politics)
« Reply #150 on: 29 Jul 2014, 15:31 »

She's in pristine condition, no Cosmo even. The gun counter guy was mad cause if he'd seen it first he would have snagged her.

And now...

EVERY SURPLUS RIFLE WITH BOLT ACTION IS CHEAP SOME TIME IN HISTORY. MOSIN NAGANT RIFLE IS MOST NUMEROUS OF ALL INFANTRY RIFLE. IT IS RIFLE THAT WINS OCTOBER REVOLUTION. IT IS RIFLE THAT CARRIES INFANTRY OF ALLIED FORCES IN EUROPE THROUGH GREAT PATRIOTIC WAR. MOSIN NAGANT RIFLE SERVES FOR MORE THAN CENTURY, OLD STOLEN RUSSIAN RECEIVER IS STILL USE BY SNIPER OF FINNISH ARMY.

YOU CAN BE HAPPY WITH 40,000 ROUBLE RIFLE WITH NO HISTORY AND PLASTIC STOCK WHO KILLS PAPER TARGET AND DEER WITH NO WEAPON OR FIGHTING HEART.

I CAN BE HAPPY WITH 2,000 ROUBLE RIFLE THAT IS ARTIFACT OF MILITARY HISTORY AND KILLS TSARIST AND NAZI ALIKE.

JOY OF HAVING MOSIN NAGANT RIFLE IS JOY THAT MONEY CANNOT AFFORD.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Noxx

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #151 on: 29 Jul 2014, 19:36 »

Well if this is your first one, I strongly suggest you get a cheap and simple Lee Classic Loader kit (like $30) so you can drum up some handloads. All you need is a desk and a hammer. People mock the Mosin, but with decent loads instead of surplus steelies, I can take a 91/30 with Mojo sights to 600 yards any day, and 800 on a nice quiet day. Just remember that unless it's a finnish hex, it'll probably want .311 bullets and not the standard 30 cal .308.
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #152 on: 29 Jul 2014, 21:08 »

I'll never mock the Mosin, the ghosts of Simo Hayha, Vasily Zaytsev and Lauri Turni would kill me in the night.

Speaking of, a fair and 100% balanced comparison between the glorious Nugget, the AR 15 and the AK.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2014, 22:42 by GarandMarine »
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Noxx

« Reply #153 on: 31 Jul 2014, 11:00 »

Now that you're a disciple of the 54R, it's time to set up a cookie jar fund towards the big SVT
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #154 on: 31 Jul 2014, 11:40 »

My next 54R is a PSL :P

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #155 on: 31 Jul 2014, 20:53 »

my change jar is dedicated to obtaining a proper scope mount and scope for my .303 British Lee Enfield.

*preferably the version that doesn't require extensive grinding on the receiver.*

whatever is left might buy some ammo.  But I've got 500 rounds, so I'm good for a while
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Noxx

« Reply #156 on: 31 Jul 2014, 21:10 »

FWIW, you can use the same 174gr .311 SMK's in loading for the .303 that you would use to handload for a Mosin. I've had suprisingly good results out past 600 with them.

Grognard

« Reply #157 on: 31 Jul 2014, 21:16 »

"174gr .311 SMK's "  um. what?

~~~ bullet. 174 grain .311 caliber. (in a 303?)  ?SMK?

translate a bit please.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Noxx

« Reply #158 on: 31 Jul 2014, 21:25 »

Sorry, "Sierra Match King". It is a pretty common higher quality bullet for reloading, that carries a larger bearing surface than modern match load ammo, meaning it will stabilize well in the slower twist barrels of yesteryear. Because it is a slightly shorter bullet than long nosed, long tailed rounds, the same overall cartridge length will lend a slightly lower chamber pressure with a shorter 174gr bullet. This is handy to bear in mind as most enfield rifles should be kept under 42k, while modern .308 chambers run much higher in pressure.

The nomenclature for bullet diameter can be a little misleading, because of it's development over different centuries, in different countries. The .303 British, and the 7.62x54RR are both "30 caliber", but carry an actual diameter of .311 inches, compared to the modern 7.62x51 Nato and other 30 cals that use a more standardized .308 inch bullet.

Finnish barreled russians usually need to have their barrels slugged to determine diameter, as they range from actual .308 to .310

...and then if you really want to get ridiculous, we can start reloading for japanese wartime pistols :P

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #159 on: 31 Jul 2014, 21:40 »

That would imply a desire to FIRE Japanese war time pistols, and I can't imagine why you'd want to do such a thing.

Noxx

« Reply #160 on: 31 Jul 2014, 21:42 »

That would imply a desire to FIRE Japanese war time pistols, and I can't imagine why you'd want to do such a thing.

I certainly never have, and over the years I've owned two Nambu's, along with custom formed ammo for em. Guess I never felt that lucky, I think they do their best work on the wall.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #161 on: 02 Aug 2014, 10:04 »

So I got a nice big pile of ammo in from Cheaper Then Dirt today, I do hate the company with a passion, but they ship fast I'll give them that. Any one know where I can acquire PKM parts kits? I have the uncontrollable desire to make a 54R belt fed for the Motherland.

In more patriotic news, I really want this:
http://www.armslist.com/posts/3299099/denver-colorado-rifles-for-sale--browning-1919-israeli-parts--new-gun--free-shipping

Noxx

« Reply #162 on: 02 Aug 2014, 11:19 »

Dunno who to go to for a PKM anymore. Last time I checked tho, some vendors were offering M1919 kits in 54R

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #163 on: 02 Aug 2014, 11:48 »

I actually like that EVEN BETTER then a PKM. Sorta. Hmm. Both!

You know, when I have a couple grand laying around.

The new rifle I just got my hands on is in the spoiler, I think it's in excellent condition. Considering it was probably last used circa 1945...
(click to show/hide)

Grognard

« Reply #164 on: 02 Aug 2014, 21:06 »

:D  Greasy. Commie.  :D

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #165 on: 03 Aug 2014, 04:44 »

$200. Battle rifle. Buying the best item for the best price is the heart of capitalism.

Some home gunsmithing videos for the Mosin Nagant:
Nagant Trigger job:

Making your Mosin Rock and Roll (aka solving that sticky action problem:

Glass Bedding an M91/30

Noxx

« Reply #166 on: 03 Aug 2014, 07:56 »

$200?? Man times have really changed

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #167 on: 03 Aug 2014, 11:01 »

Yep, still affordable, but they aren't $80 any more.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #168 on: 14 Aug 2014, 01:59 »

So I've been working on some design notes for a fully functioning (and by functioning I mean useable, not just actually fires) gun blade. First I've identified the ideal place style as the Celtic Falcata, this is a single edged, machete like combat weapon that is short and designed to be wielded with a single hand.

As you can see here the blade in this type of sword  curves after a certain point, this drop, while providing a brutal and efficent slashing weapon, also clears the barrel of any potential weapon mounted along the spine of the blade. The real issue as I see it is keeping both weapons comfortably functional within their own rights from  a care and maintenance stand point. A revolver based gun blade I see as being impractical, welding or merging the barrel of the firearm with the blade itself would A. impact accuracy by placing pressure on the barrel and B. make a barrel change a nightmare.

I then considering semi-automatic firearms. With the technical consideration that a longer barrel is likely better in this application and  that the receiver of the pistol is going to have to be married to the frame, most likely via welding, I think the logical choice is a long slide 1911 in .45 ACP, To retain ease of take down and accessability, "rails" and a slightly fuller on the back of the blade, as well as a groove to let the barrel bushing turn will be required, but they shouldn't affect performance or the bladed part of the weapon. If there's a fouling concern, a small metal insert could be made to bolt in covering the bushing fuller (I'd use small screws here, like pistol sight small)

Attachment of the blade to the reciever is a bit of a bug bear as it needs to be both functional, and look attractive, there isn't much "play" in a 1911 receiver, so except for a small on through the trigger guard, bolts aren't an option, which leaves some very careful and tricky welding. I'm not sure that will be enough to stand up to regular heavy use. With a normal hilt (on a well made sword) the tang of the blade extends well into the hilt providing it strength. With the attachment points so close to the "surface" I'd find certain types of impact on the blade worrying.

Keeping the blade light enough that the pistol still swings easily enough for one handed use is another point that can be countered with fullers (improperly refered to as blood grooves) and just generally keeping everything properly balanced to start with, though excessive fullering of the blade WILL weaken it.

This is just my initial thoughts on the matter, but I think these technical issues are all pretty simple to overcome with some applied research and maybe a few test shots and consulting with local swordsmiths.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #169 on: 14 Aug 2014, 03:21 »

Not gonna lie, that sounds like a pretty fricking cool project.

Now, not that I at all have any knowledge in this field (I fold crepes', not Damascus steel), it seems to my untrained mind that you'd want to forge the barrel and the blade as one piece to prevent as much barrel shift as you can.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Grognard

« Reply #170 on: 14 Aug 2014, 06:05 »

any recommendations for a shotgun scope/reflex sight for deer hunting?

Noxx

« Reply #171 on: 14 Aug 2014, 06:58 »

Comes down to $$. If you're hunting deer in a shotgun state you already know 99% of your opportunities are gonna be inside 75yds. Any "quality" reflex will do.

My rule of thumb is that if it's under a hundred bucks it's crap, if it's over a thousand bucks it's Trijicon, and most things in the middle will do alright by you.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #172 on: 14 Aug 2014, 08:57 »

Actually its almost the exact other way around! One of the easier ways to improve a rifle or pistol's accuracy is to free float the barrel. Anything exerting pressure or force can throw it off even slightly.

A lot of pistol barrels also move as part of their design, this could lead to issues with functionality in semi autos, and depending on how else the blade is mounted make take down (vital for maintenance) next to impossible.

The one design that would work for, a revolver, presents its own issues, especially when considering heavy use. The potential for the barrel to weaken the blade's back, the aforementioned accuracy issue, making a barrel change next to impossible, as well as the technical bug bear where I'm not sure how I could heat and forge the blade without warping the barrel in the first place... Theoretically I could forge the back edge of the blade with a curve and thickness appropriated that I could actually cut the barrel into the blade it self with  a barrel lathe... But I think that would have its own issues as well as being a massive amount of labor. Like all my exotic designs I want to make these saleable on a reasonable scale

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
  • This avatar shall remain in perpetuity after all.
    • My Twitter or whatever.
« Reply #173 on: 14 Aug 2014, 16:50 »

I would say you could just forge a blade and bore it out as a Dan Wesson barrel facade and mount it to a Super Redhawk, but I don't want to give the impression that I at all condone this train of thought.
Other than that I have no opinion.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #174 on: 14 Aug 2014, 20:00 »

For a red dot I'd go with a Vortex SPARC, or anything from them. Great scopes, I have one on my AR.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #175 on: 15 Aug 2014, 17:30 »

Huh. Well I'll be damned. That is a thing that exists.

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #176 on: 15 Aug 2014, 18:47 »

...So I just traded my Springfield XDm .40 and $160 for this.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #177 on: 15 Aug 2014, 19:41 »

Get that rifle a little therapy and a nice new wood stock and it'll be perfect! Maybe reattach the frog sticker too

Grognard

« Reply #178 on: 15 Aug 2014, 21:19 »

?wait?what?

You traded a .40 XDM and chipped in $160 to get a SKS in a Norinco sporter stock?

I highly recommend GUNBROKER next time: http://www.gunbroker.com/

oh. and never mind.  I hadn't realized how much the price difference is now days.   :psyduck: :-o

Noxx

« Reply #179 on: 16 Aug 2014, 00:58 »

You gotta be kiddin, I've never paid over 200 for an sks.

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #180 on: 16 Aug 2014, 14:46 »

I think I paid $250 for my as-issued 1977 Type 56 back in... 2001?  That was my first centerfire rifle.  I miss it.   :cry:

Noxx

« Reply #181 on: 16 Aug 2014, 18:25 »

I think I paid $250 for my as-issued 1977 Type 56 back in... 2001?  That was my first centerfire rifle.  I miss it.   :cry:

My first centerfire was an old Enfield, mkiii I think. Bought it from a dude named Beer in 1991 for $65.

Grognard

« Reply #182 on: 16 Aug 2014, 21:18 »

so I went to GREEN TOP sporting goods today: http://www.greentophuntfish.com/

Found a Mosin that had been restocked into one of those lovely ARCHANGEL AA9130 stocks.
http://www.archangelmanufacturing.com/2014/05/14/archangel-opfor-precision-rifle-stock-for-mosin-nagant-m1891-and-variants/

TRUST me, it is as beautiful and functional stock upgrade as you would EVER want.
JUST AWESOME.  Even had the 10 rd magazine + scope mounted + bayonet.
If I had the $450 they were asking... I would have brought it home today.

I wish they made Archangel stocks for my old Brit .303

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #183 on: 16 Aug 2014, 22:26 »

My first centerfire was an old Enfield, mkiii I think. Bought it from a dude named Beer in 1991 for $65.

My first centerfire was a junker WASR AK some ass had put in Tapco furniture. It was crappy even for a WASR, but I loved that piece of junk. Sold her during the great panic and used the proceeds to buy a M1 Garand from the CMP.

Noxx

« Reply #184 on: 16 Aug 2014, 22:35 »

I love me a garand. I can admire the feed mechanism endlessly. What beautiful engineering solution

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #185 on: 20 Aug 2014, 15:35 »

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/dumoulin-mauser-action.aspx

Looks like I have my Mauser actions for my Dangerous Game (.458 Win Mag) and Scout Rifle (.308) projects for school over the next year.

As previously mentioned the .458 is going to be a in a traditional walnut stock, prepared for that trip to Africa I'm never going to take, and moose and kodiaks in the meantime. I'm still figuring out a stock for the scout, I might carve a custom Dragunov style stock or just use a Hogue overmold drop in. The key is keeping it light, a proper scout rifle is under seven pounds, and ideally should be about 3 kilos (6.6 lbs) unloaded, with accessories, with a maximum possible weight of 3.5 kilos, a short barrel helps with that, but using the AI floor plate and magazine system to convert it to a magazine feed is going to add some of that back. Colonel Cooper also specified synthetic stocks in his original scout design, so the Hogue overmold may be the real winner here if I'm doing a "traditional" scout vs. a psuedoscout. I'm going to move the scope back a little bit as well, I'm not a big fan of the forward mounted look and it's just not as functional for me personally, I find putting too much weight forward of the action is a real down side for easy snap and movement.

Considering an M1A style receiver mount to keep the iron sights clear and the action clear.Maybe a red dot with a 2x magnifier built in mounted just forward of the action in a position to cowitness the iron sights.

Noxx

« Reply #186 on: 21 Aug 2014, 09:52 »

Ruger did a pretty decent job with Coopers specifications when they built the Gunsite Scout. I have one, and I'm far more impressed with it than one would imagine for a Ruger.

What made you decide to go with .458 as your dangerous game cartridge?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #187 on: 21 Aug 2014, 10:17 »

I refuse to buy things from Ruger that AREN'T SAA clones, and even then I'd rather get an Uberti.

I went with .458 Win Mag because it's the biggest cartridge I can build a rifle on at my school, and if I'm going to make an Africa rifle, I am going to make THE Africa rifle.

Grognard

« Reply #188 on: 21 Aug 2014, 15:38 »

ahem.

big fan of RUGER here.

Ruger P89DC, 10/22, Security Six,  Redhawk and Mk II.
sadly, the Sec6, Redhawk and Mk II were liquidated over the years to pay bills.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #189 on: 21 Aug 2014, 17:15 »

Whoops, I need to amend myself, the 10/22 is a sweet little gun.

I also just kinda don't like the gunsight scout in general... it is worth noting that the Gunsight Scout ISN'T a real scout, it's over the Colonel's original weight limits. Not by much, but still.

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #190 on: 21 Aug 2014, 22:30 »

The GP100 family is superior to anything S&W has ever built and I will defend that statement to the death.  I really want a Bowen GP-44 in .45 Colt with a 4" barrel.  The P-series is really nice too, I loved shooting the P89.

Noxx

« Reply #191 on: 22 Aug 2014, 00:49 »

The GP100 family is superior to anything S&W has ever built and I will defend that statement to the death.  I really want a Bowen GP-44 in .45 Colt with a 4" barrel.  The P-series is really nice too, I loved shooting the P89.

You have clearly suffered a blow to the head. The Smith 686 is the finest revolver ever made by man.

Noxx

« Reply #192 on: 22 Aug 2014, 00:50 »

I refuse to buy things from Ruger that AREN'T SAA clones, and even then I'd rather get an Uberti.

I went with .458 Win Mag because it's the biggest cartridge I can build a rifle on at my school, and if I'm going to make an Africa rifle, I am going to make THE Africa rifle.

I'm always interested to hear folks choices, I am sort of a student of the African cartridges. I have gravitated to the .375H&H over the years myself.

Noxx

« Reply #193 on: 22 Aug 2014, 00:57 »

The 10/22 is certainly the iconic american 22. It's gotten pretty junky over the last ten years, I dunno if you guys have seen the newest ones with the plastic triggers and peel-away latex paint all over the receiver.

The thing that really keeps them going is that they were so popular, for so long, the aftermarket is insane. You can improve literally every part of that rifle, and in fact a couple companies make clone receivers to start from.

I put a Kidd trigger and bolt in mine, threaded the barrel into the receiver, and topped it with an old eotech 512. Absolutely the most fun you can have for the money.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #194 on: 22 Aug 2014, 01:03 »

Noxx I admit I haven't done a ton of research into Africa rifles, I just like the sheer amount of hurt the .458 is putting out, and there's also the fact that it's an artillery shell. I also have a friend who has one, and she talked it up enough to get it stuck in my head haha.

Noxx

Gunsmithing (no politics)
« Reply #195 on: 22 Aug 2014, 01:22 »

It's a hell of a round, and definitely the big kid on the block among the classics. I can't shoot it well offhand, it gives me a vicious flinch. None of the big game rifles are a picnic, but that and the 505 Gibbs are just brutal.

Edit- forgot to add 460 weatherby to that list. Shot it once in college in NM. F that rifle. Right in the neck.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #196 on: 22 Aug 2014, 02:50 »

I'm probably going to fit my .458 with a muzzle break eventually. That should help with felt recoil a little bit. The key is doing the break up in such a way so as to not brutalize the rifle's aesthetic.

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #197 on: 22 Aug 2014, 08:46 »

You have clearly suffered a blow to the head. The Smith 686 is the finest revolver ever made by man.

I will possibly consider conceding this point the second Smith & Wesson brings back the Triple-Lock mechanism.  Maybe.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #198 on: 22 Aug 2014, 11:07 »

Actions purchased. Level up!

Mauser + 2

Soon shall come the forging, and the riddle of steel.

Edit:

Been considering a caliber change, I'm not set into this yet so it's not a big deal if I decide on a different cartridge. The .375 H&H Magnum seems pretty desirable with a nice stat line, even if it's "adequate" for most African dangerous game. Larry Potterfield over at Midway makes a pretty compelling argument about the round. Noxx, any wisdom you want to share on the round?
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2014, 12:21 by GarandMarine »

Grognard

« Reply #199 on: 22 Aug 2014, 19:32 »

you are clearly going senile.
the RUGER Sec6 is clearly one of the top three revolvers ever made.
The S&W 65 is superior in smooth trigger pull, but lacks in robustness.
and the RUGER GP100 is (im told) a perfect hybrid of the two.

but I'd put the S&W 686 in the top 5.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up