THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Gunsmithing (no politics)  (Read 143351 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Gunsmithing (no politics)
« Reply #250 on: 31 Aug 2014, 17:46 »

Most of your questions have involved mechanics of firearms or their operation, everything outside of that you've PMed about to my knowledge, like when you asked me about military HUDs in fighters. So I'd deem them on topic, especially given the knowledge base in this thread.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Noxx

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #251 on: 31 Aug 2014, 19:00 »

Also, firearms realism counseling for authors of fiction is something I live for.  Feel free to ask me questions any time, if you can tolerate my long-winded thoroughly detailed answers.
More generally, what is the feeling of the members here about my silly questions? They are not strictly about gunsmithing, after all.

Not to worry, folks like us are reservoirs of esoteric knowledge we rarely get to share. We're thrilled.
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #252 on: 31 Aug 2014, 22:31 »

Noxx don't tell her that out right... we lose cool points that way!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
  • This avatar shall remain in perpetuity after all.
    • My Twitter or whatever.
« Reply #253 on: 31 Aug 2014, 23:56 »

You are asking technical questions that are not political.

This...

Not to worry, folks like us are reservoirs of esoteric knowledge we rarely get to share. We're thrilled.

...and also this.

Noxx don't tell her that out right... we lose cool points that way!

I'm pretty sure I didn't have any to begin with.

Most of your questions have involved mechanics of firearms or their operation, everything outside of that you've PMed about to my knowledge, like when you asked me about military HUDs in fighters.

How come you get these questions and I don't?    :-\
Other than that I have no opinion.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #254 on: 01 Sep 2014, 05:42 »

Because I've used said equipment in a real world setting and was thus the most obvious person to ask would be my guess.

Noxx

« Reply #255 on: 01 Sep 2014, 08:24 »

The day someone walks up to me IRL and says "I'm genuinely interested, could you explain the difference between recoil and blowback actions?", I will literally soil myself with glee.
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #256 on: 01 Sep 2014, 11:00 »

well, that explains why you wear Depends to NRA conventions.....

:D LuLz :D
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #257 on: 01 Sep 2014, 15:44 »

paintball marker
What's the deal with people calling them paintball markers instead of paintball guns? Is this a relatively new thing?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Noxx

« Reply #258 on: 01 Sep 2014, 17:02 »

paintball marker
What's the deal with people calling them paintball markers instead of paintball guns? Is this a relatively new thing?

Been that way for twenty years AFAIK

Grognard

« Reply #259 on: 01 Sep 2014, 18:29 »

I'll still trip and call 'em paint gunz, but it is VERY frowned upon in the sport.
I've a Paintball magazine from 1991-2? that emphasizes the usage of Marker v. Gun to users.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #260 on: 02 Sep 2014, 15:14 »

Wait, it is? Why?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #261 on: 02 Sep 2014, 15:47 »

I was told, at a corporate team-building paintball session I attended, that "markers" is the preferred term because back in the 1970's the first marker guns and pellets were designed and produced for marking trees and cattle in the forestry and ranching industries.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #262 on: 02 Sep 2014, 16:05 »

Right, but that's not what they're used for in paintball...they're used for shooting people.

Am I missing something?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Grognard

« Reply #263 on: 02 Sep 2014, 18:05 »

guns are firearms/air rifles intended for target shooting and destroying things.

paintball markers are made for sport (and industrial usage)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #264 on: 02 Sep 2014, 18:11 »

You still shoot with them, do you not?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Grognard

« Reply #265 on: 02 Sep 2014, 18:23 »

Yes. we do shoot them.
admittedly, the differentiation is emphasized to lessen negative connotations for the sport.
it is political.

*Subject Change*

so GM: what do you recommend for a Scope mount on a STEVENS Model 67 ?

Noxx

« Reply #266 on: 02 Sep 2014, 21:18 »

I was told, at a corporate team-building paintball session I attended, that "markers" is the preferred term because back in the 1970's the first marker guns and pellets were designed and produced for marking trees and cattle in the forestry and ranching industries.

Correct

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #267 on: 02 Sep 2014, 21:21 »

Model 67's a pump shotgun right? Depends. What are you putting on there? Tapping, drilling and putting a small sight rail down isn't too hard if you want options, but if you're going to just have one scope, you can do it old school and just mount the rings to it. I'd need to see how it ejects before I really say anything more and start looking at positioning. The nice thing about putting a full length rail on the receiver is you'll be able to adjust your scope or red dot to suit your eye relief.  The key is making sure it doesn't interfere in the order of operations or weaken the receiver.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #268 on: 05 Sep 2014, 16:59 »

Mauser update. Heresy or hot?

And look what I got today!

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #269 on: 05 Sep 2014, 17:02 »

You know, GM, if you gave that Mauser a shorter barrel it would look a lot like a 40k bolt pistol, ignoring the disproportional "heroic scaling" thing that Games Workshop does.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #270 on: 05 Sep 2014, 17:44 »

Little bit yeah. Bit low caliber for a 40k Bolt pistol as evidenced by that tiny magazine.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #271 on: 05 Sep 2014, 18:11 »

Well, bolt pistols fire micro-rockets, so I guess the tiny rocket engines would make for very long cartridges. 

Grognard

« Reply #272 on: 05 Sep 2014, 21:29 »

Not Heresy!

I want one!

source! source!
... even tho I can't afford it....

y' think.... 10mm Hydrashock in +P ?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #273 on: 05 Sep 2014, 23:19 »

I can't find the source. Or I'd be buying one on credit or some shit.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #274 on: 07 Sep 2014, 19:14 »

Zhu Xijuan wants one! For the Emperor Party! Death to Heretics Landlords! <=== W1.949K!  :wink:

Our people produced a Broomhandle clone in .45 after all, the Shanxi Type 17. Nostalgia in China for a weapon that featured so prominently in the Civil War and our national liberation struggle against Japan, might explain why the top image-search hits I got for this were all Chinese web sites (or Google is filtering my results for obvious reasons).

As for rocket-guns there was Gyrojet:

They had a rather fascinatingly elegant mechanism. The internal hammer struck the rocket projectile on the nose, driving it back against a fixed firing-pin, which ignited the solid propellant. Then, as the rocket fired, it pushed the hammer down and forward to reengage with the sear. The barrel is smooth-bore; the rocket was spun by its angled exhaust jets, hence "gyro-jet". Did I read this up in connection with combat in low gravity? Maaaybe...

On trigger-mechanisms, here's one from the Han Dynasy (206BC–220AD). Note the clever use of leverage to ensure a light, clean release for a powerful bow.

Edit: I should point out, since it is important, but not obvious from the drawings above, that the trigger and the tumbler (the hook that actually holds the bow-string) share the same pivot pin, but move independently. The elevation scale protruding above the stock is part of the tumbler, not the trigger.

Edit: Fixed or removed broken image links.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2020, 22:22 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
  • This avatar shall remain in perpetuity after all.
    • My Twitter or whatever.
« Reply #275 on: 08 Sep 2014, 01:21 »

The Gyrojet never caught on as a weapon due to very poor muzzle energy (on principle) and poor accuracy (because of badly-made rockets,)* but there was a Gyrojet flare gun used by US forces in Vietnam.  The sustained propulsion of the projectile meant it could punch through and climb out of jungle canopy better than a ballistic flare.  I want one, but then I should probably not be allowed to have one considering my track record with flare guns.

*Emoroffle would like me to add that one of the other reasons the Gyrojet never caught on was because of a lack of Mister Torgue pitching the product.
Other than that I have no opinion.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #276 on: 08 Sep 2014, 03:38 »

Zhu Xijuan wants one! For the Emperor Party! Death to Heretics Landlords! <=== W1.949K!  :wink:

Our people produced a Broomhandle clone in .45 after all, the Shanxi Type 17. Nostalgia in China for a weapon that featured so prominently in the Civil War and our national liberation struggle against Japan, might explain why the top image-search hits I got for this were all Chinese web sites (or Google is filtering my results for obvious reasons).

I have been actively looking for a Shanxi Type 17 since you first mentioned them to me. Shockingly they're kinda rare in the U.S. I've been able to ascertain a lot of about 350 were imported at one point, and one of those surfaced on a website with an asking price of just shy of $6000. While I wouldn't mind owning a rare historical piece, if I'm dropping that kind of money on a gun I need to get my Mateba Unica 6 first.

Once I have my manufacturing permit a "Modern" Mauser, a classic Mauser and a Type 17 clone would probably be worthy projects that might even manage to make me a little money if I can get the costs vaguely reasonable. (Probably not, but I can investigate at least)

Noxx

« Reply #277 on: 08 Sep 2014, 09:55 »

If you've got 6K to blow on a war collectors piece and you don't get a Johnson I will send a courier to deliver an express gibbslap.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #278 on: 08 Sep 2014, 16:00 »

I wish I had 6k to blow on anything.

While I'm at school I qualify for a pro discount (22% better then a dealer discount) on Springfield Armory weapons. I can buy one of each type of XD series, one 1911, and one M1A. A fully loaded M1A with walnut stock clocks in at 1190. Roughly $800 less then retail. A 1911 Range Officer (which is SA's "race gun" 1911 with all the bells and whistles you could fantasize about) will just you about $570 vs. $960 retail.

Soooooo. I'mma buy me some guns.

Some more guns any way. I also had my hand forced on my caliber debate for my project rifle. The school is no longer letting us do .375 H&H Magnum, So .458 Win Mag it is!

Noxx

« Reply #279 on: 10 Sep 2014, 08:15 »

Nice, I got my M1A through the same program, makes it a lot more reasonable.

Just found a "white bag" Garand, unfired since it's Korean War era restoration, as issued in its white canvas bag.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #280 on: 10 Sep 2014, 15:46 »

Holy fuck. That's a cool find Noxx!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #281 on: 11 Sep 2014, 12:49 »

Huh. It seems like I'll be getting my father's Röhm RG96, a blank replica of the H&amp;K USP. Probably the closest to a real gun I'll ever hold in my hands. As my interest is mainly in the technical aspects, I don't mind that it doesn't propel bullets.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #282 on: 12 Sep 2014, 08:18 »

That's pretty cool actually. What... is it for? If you don't mind me asking.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #283 on: 12 Sep 2014, 10:51 »

Well, the purpose they're sold for is self defense. Having a blank fired in your face is supposed to be very disorienting. Also it looking like a real firearm might scare somebody off.
I'm sceptical about that.
What most people use them for is fireworks on new years eve. That is the only day of the year where you're allowed to light fireworks, and if you're on private property then using a blank firing pistol is allowed as well. Blank firing pistols actually come with a launching cup for signalling ammunition over here.
They're also of interest for collectors, as owning a real firearm is very strictly regulated.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Grognard

« Reply #284 on: 12 Sep 2014, 20:41 »

off to the sight in range tomorrow.
bringing the inventory, sans the handguns and .22
* I hope I don't get pulled over.  but if you hear about somebody arrested on I-95 with an arsenal.........

here is a serious question: will having holes tapped to mount slings affect my shotgun's accuracy?
I really don't think so, but the Son asked.  I've never had slings done before: what do y'all think?

Noxx

« Reply #285 on: 15 Sep 2014, 21:14 »

Picked up an absolutely beautiful Remington manufactured 1903A3 from 1942 at a yard sale, $200

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #286 on: 15 Sep 2014, 23:55 »

here is a serious question: will having holes tapped to mount slings affect my shotgun's accuracy?
I really don't think so, but the Son asked.  I've never had slings done before: what do y'all think?

Holes tapped where exactly? You can get a forward sling swivel that bolts between the barrel and the tube that works pretty sell if you want to save some machining.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #287 on: 16 Sep 2014, 14:33 »

Picked up an absolutely beautiful Remington manufactured 1903A3 from 1942 at a yard sale, $200
You can buy guns at a yard sale?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #288 on: 16 Sep 2014, 16:36 »

No politics? That is a question likely to provoke a gun-rights/gun-laws good/bad debate. As a matter of fact, plainly you can.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #289 on: 16 Sep 2014, 16:38 »

I wasn't asking if he should be able to, I just didn't know it was allowed. It being legal isn't "matter of fact", and if it isn't, I would rather it not be talked about on the forum.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Grognard

« Reply #290 on: 16 Sep 2014, 16:50 »

private sales between adult citizens are fully legal.
If I were to make such a sale, I'd only ask for ID if there was a question of age.

I'm looking at needing to drill a hole in the underside of the stock, and the H&R only has a tap hole at the end of the tube.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #291 on: 16 Sep 2014, 16:50 »

Thanks, that's all I needed to hear.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #292 on: 16 Sep 2014, 19:16 »

So I have been denied the ability to make my dinosaur hunting gun. Technical reason: Head instructor doesn't want me investing the time required to open the bolt face up to a .458 Win Mag. It's doable, but again time and effort required aren't worth it in his mind. So I can select any round that fits a "standard" bolt face (vs. say a magnum bolt face). So since the bolt came set up for a .30-06 I'm doing a .338-06. A .338-06 is a necked up .30-06 cartridge that now rolls deep with a .338 round. It has INCREDIBLE ballistics, it's hit point at 300 yards is LITERALLY a straight line from point of origin. That's fucking insane.

My day as a gunsmith was fucking painful otherwise. 7.5 hours polishing this barrel and it's STILL fucked up. Whatever. I don't care about project time any more. I want to get it right, not necessarily get it done fast.

Noxx

« Reply #293 on: 17 Sep 2014, 07:50 »

If I were to make such a sale, I'd only ask for ID if there was a question of age.

I'm looking at needing to drill a hole in the underside of the stock, and the H&R only has a tap hole at the end of the tube.

No this will not have any effect on function or accuracy. If you wish to avoid damage the stock for other reasons, it is usually possible to use a traditional leather strap around the stock, with a D ring for fast sling attachment

Noxx

« Reply #294 on: 17 Sep 2014, 07:53 »

I am looking forward to seeing your 338-06 project. I've always been a big fan of the ought six wildcats in all their weird glory, as the 30-06 is pretty well the definitive "american game cartridge", and America is a nation of tinkerers.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #295 on: 20 Sep 2014, 00:17 »

I'll be sure to let you know. It's gonna be awhile till I get it done. Basics class lasts for about three months, and the project rifle honestly lasts into D&F (Design and Function) which is basically the last part of the class.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #296 on: 22 Sep 2014, 15:54 »

Got a 3.3 on my refinishing and bluing project :D

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #297 on: 22 Sep 2014, 16:10 »

I can't help but notice that you're in the same class as (James?) Bond! :roll:

(Congrats, though! That's out of 4, right?)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #298 on: 22 Sep 2014, 16:50 »

Yes. To give you an idea in the era of the current grading system TWO students have gotten 3.8s for a course GPA. So grading is kinda brutal. And yes one of my classmates is Mr. Bond. He's a fellow Marine and a machinegunner.

Grognard

« Reply #299 on: 24 Sep 2014, 17:17 »

my photobucket is having issues, but I tweeted this for y'all enjoyment..
https://twitter.com/redgrognard/status/514774735730012160

M-N M91/30s, some with hex receivers. 
found manufacture dates of 1920,1921 and '22.
as well as 1934, '36, '38 and '40.
also available are some M44s.

prices running from $159 - $249
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up