THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Gunsmithing (no politics)  (Read 143359 times)

Noxx

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
Re: Gunsmithing (no politics)
« Reply #300 on: 24 Sep 2014, 20:19 »

my photobucket is having issues, but I tweeted this for y'all enjoyment..
https://twitter.com/redgrognard/status/514774735730012160

M-N M91/30s, some with hex receivers. 
found manufacture dates of 1920,1921 and '22.
as well as 1934, '36, '38 and '40.
also available are some M44s.

prices running from $159 - $249

Om nom nom.

You know I have a Tula arsenal Mark tattoo right?
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #301 on: 24 Sep 2014, 20:52 »

I want a whole case :D
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #302 on: 25 Sep 2014, 03:58 »

I want a whole case :D

considering I'm good friends with the gun shop owner, and he does have two...
we could probably work something reasonable out.  :D
but my 'finders fee' is gonna be a customized M-N.....
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #303 on: 25 Sep 2014, 06:13 »

So much I can do with nuggets. I want one to completely refinish, an all matching M44, a Finnish M30 and then, finally a mix master to turn into an Obrez pistol
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #304 on: 25 Sep 2014, 08:15 »

Oh and a Sniper, all matching original scope.

In other news I am making a choke tube wrench. It is highly aggravating

Noxx

« Reply #305 on: 25 Sep 2014, 20:22 »

Found a gas trap M1. Guy wants too much. It's heartbreaking.
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

Grognard

« Reply #306 on: 26 Sep 2014, 20:33 »

found another 5 cases of Mosies at another gun shop about 18 miles away.  Turns out the two owners worked a deal and bought mass quantities.

oh. and a bitching whine: Archangel stocks DONT come with the thumb operated M-N safety.  and they're still $200 for  the stock alone.  the fucking stock is more expensive than the original full rifle.... whine.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Noxx

« Reply #307 on: 26 Sep 2014, 21:26 »

found another 5 cases of Mosies at another gun shop about 18 miles away.  Turns out the two owners worked a deal and bought mass quantities.

oh. and a bitching whine: Archangel stocks DONT come with the thumb operated M-N safety.  and they're still $200 for  the stock alone.  the fucking stock is more expensive than the original full rifle.... whine.

Drop a timney trigger in a Mosin, keep the original stock, you get a better trigger, AND safety.

How much they want for a case of them things.

Grognard

« Reply #308 on: 27 Sep 2014, 19:43 »

Drop a timney trigger in a Mosin, keep the original stock, you get a better trigger, AND safety.

How much they want for a case of them things.

TIMNEY trigger!  So that is the magical missing piece I've wanted.... $103.  ow.

I'll ask Darell if he would sell by the case.

Noxx

« Reply #309 on: 27 Sep 2014, 20:04 »

Don't bother, blew my toy money today on a Smith 25, a pacific theatre remington 11

Grognard

« Reply #310 on: 27 Sep 2014, 22:25 »

my question is this: with a budget of $500, what type of quality semiauto rifle can I get?
...not including AK or SKS or .22s: a real meat getting rifle.
I've searched gun broker but not found much.
I use the $500 because to trick out a M-N with a Timney trigger and an Archangel stock would cost about that.

Noxx

« Reply #311 on: 28 Sep 2014, 07:51 »

my question is this: with a budget of $500, what type of quality semiauto rifle can I get?
...not including AK or SKS or .22s: a real meat getting rifle.
I've searched gun broker but not found much.
I use the $500 because to trick out a M-N with a Timney trigger and an Archangel stock would cost about that.

I am curious about the semi-auto qualification? It drives pricing up quite a bit, but when you say "meat getting", I think of hunting and it's associated ammo capacity regulations. Most people looking at a deer rifle are by default heading towards bolties. Is this a recoil issue?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #312 on: 28 Sep 2014, 10:53 »

http://www.luckygunner.com/12ga-3-uranium-drone-load-tacnition-5-rounds

Hmmm I know what I want for Christmas.

Groggie I'd suggest poking around on Armslist and buying second hand.

Noxx

« Reply #313 on: 28 Sep 2014, 16:55 »

One  of yesterdays acquisitions, a late 1956 production of the Smith M25 target (model 25) heavy barrel in 45 ACP / Auto Rim. I am doing some Smith research, difficulty as the company is very heavy on tribal knowledge, to determine if the target grips may be an original option, any data you guys could provide in this area would be great. With the compensator removed, it cleaned up quite nicely, and will most likely become a permanent part of my collection.

Grognard

« Reply #314 on: 28 Sep 2014, 18:21 »

GM: I haven't found much of anything on Armslist.

NOXX: nice find of the M25.

*I spoke with my gun shop owner: a case of Tula's finest would run "$2800 and change."

yes, I am becoming a bit recoil averse.  "Uncle Winston" beats me up with every trigger pull. 
AND .303 ammo is become very rare and dear.
I'm thinking of a Ruger Ranch Rifle in 5.56, but those are $700+
I was wondering about the 6.8SPC and .270 Winchester ?

then again, I'm not in a hurry: tax returns don't get here until February.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #315 on: 28 Sep 2014, 20:06 »

Gorram, Noxx, that is a sexy gun.

Noxx

Gunsmithing (no politics)
« Reply #316 on: 28 Sep 2014, 20:28 »

Good ammo is always dear, but a $25 lee loader and a hammer cures a lot of those ills.

I can't think of anything under $500 that won't be milsurp based

Grognard

« Reply #317 on: 28 Sep 2014, 20:44 »

I have no problem with MilSurp.

where do you think I got this laptop?  :D

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #318 on: 29 Sep 2014, 06:08 »

Noxx I haaaaaaaaate you for that find. If it was in .357 Mag I probably wouldn't be speaking to you for a few days.

GM wants a nice S&W Trooper or something...

Noxx

« Reply #319 on: 29 Sep 2014, 17:11 »

Noxx I haaaaaaaaate you for that find. If it was in .357 Mag I probably wouldn't be speaking to you for a few days.

GM wants a nice S&W Trooper or something...

Then you'd be livid over the pacific theater remington 11

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #320 on: 29 Sep 2014, 21:53 »

Less so. Still jelly

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #321 on: 30 Sep 2014, 16:39 »

Just found a S&W M19-3 (1967 Production, and the earlier with Smiths, the better they are for the most part). It's finish is completely and utterly fucked. In every sense of the word. However it seems mechanically sound, so I'm thinking I might buy it as a project handgun. A little polishing and rebluing and it should be fine.

Dragonsreach

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #322 on: 01 Oct 2014, 06:04 »

Mauser update. Heresy or hot?
I'm sorry to have to back date to quote this, BUT that is one seriously tasty update to a classic weapon.

I was granted the opportunity, by my father, to fire a Mauser 9mm 'way back in the early 70'S and found it really strange at first.
Then once I got used to the additional height of the frame I found it was a remarkably accurate weapon at 50 Yards range.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #323 on: 01 Oct 2014, 08:02 »

I want the update. I also desperately want a Chinese Type 17. I blame Akima for this.

Noxx

« Reply #324 on: 01 Oct 2014, 09:38 »

I have no qualms about hacking on a broomhandle because it was a piece of crap to start with, you can only make it better.

Regarding the old Smith, consider sending it back to smith for refinishing. Their prices are reasonable, and nobody can ever put a blue finish on a revolver like they can.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #325 on: 01 Oct 2014, 10:42 »

Noxx... I'm an apprentice gunsmith.

I am buying this poor old model 19 specifically to clean her up myself.

Polish, blue, timing and trigger job.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #326 on: 01 Oct 2014, 11:49 »

Revolver get, they took my opening of $300 with a little hemming and hawing. Pics tonight when I pick her up

Noxx

« Reply #327 on: 01 Oct 2014, 20:16 »

Well you set yourself a hard row. I wouldn't want a revolver to be my first refinish job.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #328 on: 02 Oct 2014, 00:57 »

It's not. I've already refinished a barrel to a matchless/mirror finish with excellent marks from my instructors, and I start doing a total refinish and reblue on a rifle tomorrow, before I'll get to refinishing this handgun I have a couple more refinishing jobs to do, as well as polishing and bluing the .338-06

Not the best pics ever, but she's in pretty good shape all told. Mechanically perfect, and the surface rust fell off with a little scotchbrite. Going to need to deblue weapon before I can see exactly what's pitting and what's just fucked up bluing, However I think there's enough little spots here and there that I probably won't be able to get the finish back up to a factory finish without jeopardizing structural integrity or things like the proof mark and serial numbers. Going to consult with my trademasters before I go full tilt at her.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #329 on: 02 Oct 2014, 08:24 »

Is that a gun resting on a MC jacket?  Are you more badass than I previously suspected?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #330 on: 02 Oct 2014, 15:33 »

Sons of Odin: Midgard.

So yes, yes he is.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #331 on: 02 Oct 2014, 16:49 »

It's hard to get more bad ass then me.

Started working on my first gun today, refinishing the rifle I learned to shoot on, the first gun I ever fired, thousands of dollars of guns and ammo go started, a Marlin Model 81-DL tube fed bolt action rifle from roughly 1950. The stock looks better then I've ever seen it already, and the butt plate actually fits now, and I'm slowly working on the barrel and other metal pieces slowly.
However in the process of forcing the parts that hold the mag tube in place (the mag tube on a 81-DL is held in by two dove tailed rings) I snapped one of the rings. Thankfully the part's available and already on it's way, but I'm kinda relieved. Broke my first part. Now that's out of the way and I can get to fixing this thing.

Desired endstate is a 400 grit finish for barrel and receiver, the stock will be taken to a 400 grit, stained and finished with Tru Oil. Currently thinking a nice dark red stain, which will be further darkened by the oil finish.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #332 on: 03 Oct 2014, 16:37 »

Range report: New Model 19 shoots straight and didn't explode on me.

Noxx

« Reply #333 on: 08 Oct 2014, 13:52 »

I have waffled on this rifle for weeks. Finally I couldn't stand it anymore. Outside of my budget, but if I let it go I'll never see another, and it'll haunt me. HAUNT. Seriously.

Korean war arsenal issue, unfired in original bag. Easily the most beautiful M1 I've seen in my life.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #334 on: 08 Oct 2014, 15:51 »

Whoa.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #335 on: 08 Oct 2014, 16:36 »

I kinda hate you. But in a good way <3

This is how I spent my day:

These are the tanks for a caustic hot salt bluing process.

Bluing is a common finish for firearms and steel parts. Being able to polish and blue well is a cornerstone of gunsmithing skill, especially for firearms restoration work. Basically its a controlled oxidization to create a thin layer of black rust on a steel surface. This rust proofs the steel and provides a rather appealing aesthetic look.

Noxx

« Reply #336 on: 08 Oct 2014, 16:52 »

Bluing and case hardening are the most attractive finishes available in my opinion.

Be careful workin around them dip tanks, you will find out about every tiny nick on your hands you didn't know you had.

Grognard

« Reply #337 on: 08 Oct 2014, 19:54 »

@Noxx...
whoa. gorgeous find.  Sooooo much envy.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #338 on: 09 Oct 2014, 06:15 »

Noxx because the caustic salts we use will EAT you, we wear full length aprons, shoulder length gloves and face shields. No fucking around is permitted with chemicals that eat your skin.

Noxx

« Reply #339 on: 09 Oct 2014, 07:15 »

Noxx because the caustic salts we use will EAT you, we wear full length aprons, shoulder length gloves and face shields. No fucking around is permitted with chemicals that eat your skin.

Nice. I wish the various electroplating shops I used to do service for had the same level of caution. I'll never work around that stuff again.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #340 on: 09 Oct 2014, 15:13 »

Yeah fuck that. Again. These chemicals will FUCKING EAT YOUR FUCKING FLESH OFF THE BONE! Then eat the bone. Like they will seriously destroy you. 100%. Nothing will be left. Playing games with things that destroy you = No fucking go.

In gunsmithing news today, my fucking Model 81-DL was being a massive pain in the ass all day. Massive issues with EVERY FUCKING FACET of the gun. One of the roll pins for the sear won't stay in, the cocking sear's face was completely fucked, there were some marks in my bluing I quickly cleaned up with some cold blue... I had to re blue some of my parts, and then two of the screws  scratched AGAIN when I installed them. Fuck me running. So a little touch up here and there with cold blue. Oh well. I think I have everything working, and I'm just waiting for a part for the mag tube and the rifle's ready to go except for the stock, which has MANY coats of tru-oil left, but is looking sexy.

Noxx

« Reply #341 on: 09 Oct 2014, 21:11 »

Only the mag tube? Shit I've been trying to find a replacement mag tube for my old winchester for years

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #342 on: 09 Oct 2014, 23:03 »

It's the forward ring to hold the mag tube in place.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #343 on: 09 Oct 2014, 23:11 »

Oh and the other issue with the model 81? The trigger and sear are arranged on a pillar that extends down from the receiver. This is a simple stupid set up which only requires two pins and two springs to make everything work right.

However at some point during the disassembly and restoration that bad boy BENT. So that put pressure on the parts, which means trigger no work. Got everything bent back into place though.

Also had a bear of a time on reassembly because I couldn't remember where everything went, and how it went, moral of the story take a fuck load of pictures when you're disassembling a firearm

Noxx

« Reply #344 on: 09 Oct 2014, 23:41 »

I love that tho.

One of the most interesting things about restoring vintage american arms is the wild disconnect in tech between "real rifles", and "boys rifles", or "gallery guns".

The small frame 22 rifles that made up the bulk of youth sales pre 1965 are amazing in their primitiveness, and present some really novel mechanical arrangements in search of simplicity

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #345 on: 10 Oct 2014, 07:23 »

The system the 81 uses to load rounds is awesome and weird. I'll take some pics with some snap caps while I still have the stock off once I get the mag tube back on.

Noxx

« Reply #346 on: 10 Oct 2014, 08:05 »

The system the 81 uses to load rounds is awesome and weird. I'll take some pics with some snap caps while I still have the stock off once I get the mag tube back on.

I may have to get one. I am not a Marlin fan, but I do collect american youth rifles from 1890-1965.

Speaking of which, I have a project you'd love to see, it's in a friends garage atm, I'll have to retrieve it. A single shot 22 short boys rifle, made so cheaply as a giveaway item, the it actually has a rolled steel barrel LOL.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #347 on: 10 Oct 2014, 08:30 »

....I have to see that.

Also not sure the 81 counts as a boy's rifle. Stock is sized for an adult.

Noxx

« Reply #348 on: 10 Oct 2014, 08:59 »

....I have to see that.

Also not sure the 81 counts as a boy's rifle. Stock is sized for an adult.

It doesn't. It postdates (or hugs the end of) the primary era for such rifles, but the defining characteristic of a bolt action "boys" or "youth" model from midcentury America, is usually a separate cocking mechanism independent of the bolt, similar to the Win 67 and similar Sears / HR rifles. These models not cocked by bolt action were considered "double safety" and "training" rifles, and were often adopted by the BSA.

Attached is  a photo of the straight pull cocking knob on a 67, that must be operated independently of bolt action. Internet sourced photo, but I have a couple of these rifles, and they demonstrate the ethos of the rural youth firearm, redundant safeties, inexpensive to manufacture, and simple reliable mechanisms.

Noxx

« Reply #349 on: 10 Oct 2014, 09:04 »

Ah, here is a link to an article on the Hamilton rifles. The model 27 shown is identical to my own. The low quality of the hardware is astounding, these were giveaway rifles for sales incentives, etc. They do reflect however, a very specific time and place in american social history.

http://www.nrvoutdoors.com/HAMILTON/HAMILTON%2027.htm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up