THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 03:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 483987 times)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2600 on: 19 Mar 2022, 18:12 »

Finally watched No Way Home now that it's on digital and I enjoyed it. Sucks that I couldn't rent and now own it, but what're you gonna do.

It was a pretty solid Spider-Man movie and definitely the best Tom Holland one so far. I cried like a little baby,
(click to show/hide)

It's interesting that
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2022, 18:38 by Blue Kitty »

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #2601 on: 27 Apr 2022, 14:03 »

Watched Matrix 4 on the plane and honestly I thought it wasn't that bad at all. Quite enjoyable even and an interesting continuation of what happened in the prior 3 movies. Thought it was better than Matrix 3 for sure, possibly also Matrix 2.

Also saw the Big Sick, which I thought was awesome.

Lastly, also saw No Way Home, which was a little underwhelming. Perhaps I went in with too high expectations based on the generally rave reviews of it. Enjoyable, sure, but by no means one that stood out to me. Plus the premise of the ending seems fundamentally flawed to me, but that's probably just me.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #2602 on: 06 May 2022, 05:15 »

Finally watched Pacific Rim: Uprising

It was an okay movie, and nowhere near as bad as some people tried to make it out to be. Some of the plot points were actually interesting and new(ish). Though, the sticking point for me was [major character from 1st movie]'s death was wholly unnecessary and contributed nothing to the plot.

It was also nice hearing 'aim for the eyes' in a monster movie for once.
[I literally titled my tumblr blog that and made that complaint my 3rd post back in 2011.]
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

oddtail

« Reply #2603 on: 06 May 2022, 05:31 »

Watched the new Batman recently.

Best live-action Batman in my subjective opinion. It's dark, but compelling, and it's not dark in the sense of being depressing. It's still a comic book movie. I personally prefer it to any movie from the Nolan trilogy, including the second one (which I consider the only really good movie in that trilogy, even though I have a soft spot for "Dark Knight Rises" as well).

Visually, the movie is very interesting. It's dark but not undecipherable. The shot compositions are evocative of comic book panels for most of the runtime, but the film is not pretentious and doesn't draw too much attention to its visual style. The casting is honestly near-perfect for almost every role. The dialogue is well-written, the pacing is handled *extremely* well, the movie feels so much shorter than its actual runtime.

It's also a good detective story, which is rare for non-animated Batman movies.

I have some minor nitpicks about the last few scenes, but honestly this movie is as close to a perfect superhero movie as they come, at least in it wants to achieve. It's probably in my top 10 best superhero movies ever, and probably my single favourite superhero movie that goes for an unapologetic dark tone (I don't usually like those that much).

I highly recommend it. Even to people who, like me, are mostly sick and tired of superhero films. 10/10, almost no complaints.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2604 on: 20 May 2022, 18:07 »

I didn't just watch this, but Margaret Pomeranz did, and this kind of review is just one reason why I love her so much.

Margaret Pomeranz reviews Byron Baes, on Netflix.

Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #2605 on: 30 May 2022, 18:06 »

Just watched Sonic 2.

SO MANY EASTER EGGS!!!!

It's wonderful seeing fans of a franchise being the ones making it.
From the buzzbombers to the Labyrinth Zone to Colleen O'Shaughnessey straight up voicing Tails (she's voice acted him in the games for some time) to even references to Sonic Heroes, it was a great! And the plot and writing was pretty decent too.
a real-ass gaddam sword

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2606 on: 03 Jul 2022, 21:09 »

I watched "Turning Red" tonight with my wife and kids. The first half of the movie is pretty cringey at times, but the later half was awesome. I mean, I have met, witnessed, and known many a helicopter pilot parent from many different backgrounds, but the mom in the first half really takes the cake. Like I could see her doing those things in private or taking the kid into a private room to say or do all those things, but she does them IN PUBLIC without hesitation and its surprising. Special shout out to Miriam for being an awesome best friend, Malik for being a great school security guard (the subtle "hide and Seek/Sikh joke), Abby's energy, and Tyler coming around by the end.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2607 on: 07 Jul 2022, 03:34 »

From the trailers I love Priya's lack of energy, but in the movie I love Abby's energy all the way through. Just coldclocking her friend right in the face

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2608 on: 13 Jul 2022, 14:12 »

I watched Akira for the first time recently - it's the kind of movie that simultaneously makes me think 'I'm pretty sure this is a masterpiece' and 'what's happening exactly?'

The scene where the scientist asks the general whether he believes what the little girl's premonotion says, and the general says he's a soldier, his job is not to believe or disbelieve but to act. This struck me really hard - I have an ex-military friend (not Erik, although he is also my friend even if we haven't spoken in years. If any of the old crew read this and still have contact with him, tell him I said hello) who often has a lot to say about the depiction of military personnel in movies. That general's line felt to me like one of the truest depictions of a soldier I had ever seen, and I wanted to check in with him to make sure - and he said he has a very short list of things he would cite as having remotely faithful depictions of soldiers and that Akira was one of them, and basically he was delighted I brought it up.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2609 on: 13 Jul 2022, 16:28 »

Akira is a wonderful film.  The manga is also worth reading - it's quite large format, and has an interesting history (it was published in the US flipped, and a version was made of that which was fully coloured - a recent fancy box edition was the first unflipped US edition, but is the original uncoloured version).  As so often, with series and even films, the film was made before the manga was finished, so there's additional material there.  But (as in the similar case of Nausicaa) the film is entirely satisfactory as it stands.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2610 on: 14 Jul 2022, 20:37 »

I just watched Ghost in the Shell (96) and I am kind of left dumbfounded. I appreciate the atmosphere, setting, technology, and how other movies and video games have done homage to it, but I can't help but feel like the story is kind of clunky with an abrupt ending. Its not a bad movie by any stretch, but I feel like it barley touched on topics or kind of just brought them up without really exploring them. I don't know. Maybe its something that requires multiple viewings or maybe because its just fresh in my mind after my first viewing (literally finished like 5-10 minutes ago) and I just need to chew on it a bit more. Maybe I'm just tired and and I'm just not being receptive or thinking the right way. Again it wasn't a bad movie, it was definitely an experience, but I can help but feel like I was on a date and the date just gave me superficial answers to my questions. I'm sure they could have expounded a bit more, given more context on how everyone was feeling, or even how Kusanagi actually felt about the proposition at the end before it just kind of happened. Kusanagi didn't have much agency at the end there, it kind of seemed like she was forced into it and the result is happy with the decision but is it really herself that's happy with it?

(click to show/hide)

Again, maybe I was just too fatigued to sit down and watch it and I am just missing bits of information that I'd get on a second viewing after some more rest.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2611 on: 14 Jul 2022, 21:34 »

It’s highly abridged from the Manga.  My take (from the film alone) is that she wasn’t necessarily deeply wanting it, but chose it in order to answer some existential questions.  Given how dissociated she is through the film, though, I don’t know how much she was feeling deep desires in anything.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2612 on: 15 Jul 2022, 11:58 »

I just watched Johnny Mnemonic and wow. That was...something. I don't know what that something was but it exists. I liked the premise. A data courier encrypts and stores data in their brain to be extracted and decrypt when they reach their destination. This way it is under lock and key until delivered. Cool sounding Cyberpunk Corpo espionage set up. But then it goes off the rails and out of the theme park. Like half the movie seemed like it was made by the guys that made the Stallone Judge Dredd movie and the other half seemed like it was an early 90s made for TV sci-fi movie. If MST3K hasn't covered this movie they REALLLY should.  Some of the production designs seemed Hollywood and some seemed like a low budget college film movie. Random stuff just happens too. Like there was no real build up to any romance and then the female lead just kind of leans in for a kiss when Johnny woke up. Honestly Keanu Reeves is best part of this movie, everyone else is really hamming it up at a ridiculous level. I was shouting "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MOVIE!" a dozen times especially near the end. I know Hollywood has been in a habit to remake movies and if there was ever a movie that needs it, this is the one. Keep the premise but change the story and make it a blockbuster.

The IT guy part of me found it funny how 160GB of space seemed like a lot and 320GB was considered huge (but then again Johnny didn't get the suggested upgrade). The ticking clock was a cool idea but his 24 hours to get the data out of his head before meltdown seemed to be more of a suggestion than a hard time. I was kind of surprised by some of the celebraty cameos/roles in here. Like Dolph Lungren as a killer Jesus assassin (Jesus Time! had me rolling) and Ice-T as the leader of the LoTek underground. Just a bizarre movie.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2022, 16:29 by LeeC »

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2613 on: 10 Aug 2022, 16:35 »

"The IT guy part of me found it funny how 160GB of space seemed like a lot and 320GB was considered huge"

In the last ten or twenty or so years I just glaze over all of that. My first computer had 640 kilobytes of RAM. The current one? I could care less.
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

Tova

• coprophage
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2615 on: 20 Sep 2022, 04:04 »

I watched Lupin the III: Lupin the First and it was like going back to a fond memory. The voices were a little off to the animation, but not enough to make it terrible. Now I just wanna watch more Lupin

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2616 on: 25 Sep 2022, 00:25 »

Finally watched Everything Everywhere All At Once and it was as great as I'd hoped.

oddtail

« Reply #2617 on: 02 Oct 2022, 07:48 »

I watched "Spider-Man: No Way Home". I am profoundly disappointed.

The movie leans HEAVILY into fanservice, the story is only so-so, the action is passable,  there's a lot of weak moments in the story and plot holes (and not just incidental nitpicky details, I mean things like motivation of main characters being thrown out of the window).

Also, the movie is borderline incompetent with its pacing. The whole thing has like SIX endings. Come on.

I don't understand the movie being the highest-rated from the Holland trilogy. It's by far the weakest for me. It's a less successful version of Into the Spider-Verse.

I hesitate to call it outright bad, because I was entertained overall, but it's weaker than other Holland movies, doesn't even come CLOSE to the first two Maguire movies, and overall left a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm not sure I'm happy I watched it.

Gyrre

« Reply #2618 on: 03 Oct 2022, 23:48 »

I watched "Spider-Man: No Way Home". I am profoundly disappointed.

The movie leans HEAVILY into fanservice, the story is only so-so, the action is passable,  there's a lot of weak moments in the story and plot holes (and not just incidental nitpicky details, I mean things like motivation of main characters being thrown out of the window).

Also, the movie is borderline incompetent with its pacing. The whole thing has like SIX endings. Come on.

I don't understand the movie being the highest-rated from the Holland trilogy. It's by far the weakest for me. It's a less successful version of Into the Spider-Verse.

I hesitate to call it outright bad, because I was entertained overall, but it's weaker than other Holland movies, doesn't even come CLOSE to the first two Maguire movies, and overall left a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm not sure I'm happy I watched it.

As I understand it, much of the praise is because 'they fix' Tom Holland's Spiderman in that movie (ie no longer getting a boost from Tony Stark and having to start over again and 'do everything' himself).
a real-ass gaddam sword

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2619 on: 08 Oct 2022, 13:52 »

I really enjoyed that movie specifically because it felt like fan service, a proper crossover like.those movies haven't felt like since Avengers 1.

However, I fins it to be very fun fan service bullshit for sure. The plot depends entirely on truly idiotic decisions being made, not decisions that stupid characters make, bad writing stupid decisions. Including by the alleged Sorcerer supreme. You don't ask Peter for specific parameters before casting a spell that wipes the memory of everyone on Earth? Also isn't that monstrously unethical?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53]   Go Up