THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 22:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe  (Read 245958 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe
« Reply #101 on: 16 Feb 2014, 21:24 »

I just enjoy seeing him

Oh lord that Rocket Raccoon mask is creepy

« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2014, 21:30 by Blue Kitty »

K1dmor

• Beyoncé
« Reply #102 on: 18 Feb 2014, 09:29 »

Full trailer will be up tonight  :-).

-----------
 The trailer is here   :-D :

« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2014, 04:22 by K1dmor »

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #103 on: 19 Feb 2014, 05:47 »

Just saw it, looks pretty fun! But will the self-irony be too much? I dunno, really looking forward to this regardless tho! :D
I dunno..

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #104 on: 19 Feb 2014, 05:58 »

I'll probably watch that on DVD simply because Batista's in it and everything he does will be hilarious to me personally.

It does look quite good, though.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #105 on: 19 Feb 2014, 09:34 »

K1dmor

• Beyoncé
« Reply #106 on: 20 Feb 2014, 12:29 »

Just to see a little bit more of Rocket Racoon, and him talking:

I was expecting something more like his voice in UMVC3, but then again he just said six words.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #107 on: 20 Feb 2014, 20:56 »

Say hello to the new Fantastic Four

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #108 on: 20 Feb 2014, 22:05 »

Into it.

Though I think Ben Grimm/Thing would be better if he was a bit heavier but hey, could be real good.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #109 on: 20 Feb 2014, 22:14 »

Wait, the douchey kid from Project X is Mr. Fantastic? That's...that's kind of awesome, he was by far the best part of that movie.

Edit: Oh wait, never mind, he was in that movie, but only as a minor character. I was thinking of Oliver Cooper apparently, who has been in little since, which is kind of a shame.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #110 on: 21 Feb 2014, 01:57 »

He is, however, the douchey kid from 21 And Over, which his an amusing Hangover ripoff without being anywhere near as mean spirited.

The Thing, however, is Billy Elliott.

H'OKAY DEN

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #111 on: 21 Feb 2014, 07:25 »

Say hello to the new Fantastic Four

¨

Kinda odd casting..

btw, this isn't actually MCU stuff, this is Fox Marvel :]
I dunno..

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #112 on: 21 Feb 2014, 08:22 »

Though considering this is supposedly going to cross over with X-Men at some point, it's still technically a Marvel Cinematic Universe... I do get what you mean and had the same thoughts though, Edguy.  :-D

I'm interested in seeing how this pans out. The cast is not what I would expect, but that could be a good thing in a reboot.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #113 on: 21 Feb 2014, 09:32 »

this movie looks awesome! Chris Pratt is my spirit animal.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #114 on: 21 Feb 2014, 09:55 »

As long as he's a douchebag Mr. Fantastic will be okay.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #115 on: 21 Feb 2014, 12:56 »

Wait

What?

So the Storms were an interracial couple??!

Nothing against that, but ummmmmm  .........

Are we looking at a "Fuck Canon" situation here?

Oh!  It's Fox!!!

Never mind.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #116 on: 21 Feb 2014, 13:30 »

I'm just curious how they will explain how the siblings are black and white. Plenty of options there... Adoption, remarriage with existing children. Sure, in the comics Sue and Johnny are full blood siblings from white parents... But hey, whoever works best for the role. Stranger things happen in comics. So long as they give some kind of explanation in this case, I'm satisfied. I didn't think any explanation was needed for Nick Fury or Heimdal, but if the Storms remain related... It makes me curious how that worked out. Of course, the internet has blown up about it, predictably.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #117 on: 21 Feb 2014, 14:23 »

Because the internet is full of racists.

From what I've heard they're going with adoption which is a good, solid explanation that doesn't really cause any extraneous storyline issues. Also given that the FF get their powers externally it doesn't matter, they don't need to be genetically related.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #118 on: 21 Feb 2014, 14:59 »

Kate Mara is in it? I'll skip it.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #119 on: 21 Feb 2014, 18:28 »

Who's Kate Mara and why is she a problem?

Also honestly I don't care what they do with FF, can't be worse then the last movies.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #120 on: 21 Feb 2014, 19:01 »

From what I've heard they're going with adoption which is a good, solid explanation that doesn't really cause any extraneous storyline issues. Also given that the FF get their powers externally it doesn't matter, they don't need to be genetically related.

The internet blew up over a rumor that Donald Glover might be Spider-man, they're having a shit storm with this

I really want to see the Rock as Namor some time.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #121 on: 22 Feb 2014, 00:42 »

Except that Donald Glover would be an awesome Spider-man. He doesn't even have to be Peter Parker because they actually have a black Spidey in the fucking comics.

Fuck off internet racists.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #122 on: 22 Feb 2014, 04:26 »

Who's Kate Mara and why is she a problem?

The girl pictured under Sue Storm. She was in the first season of American Horror Story and House of Cards and I find her exceedingly annoying. I also don't think she's that good of an actress.

Also since the last FF movie/s were so blah, I'd rather see Glover as Spiderman.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #123 on: 22 Feb 2014, 06:26 »

Please don't jinx another Spidey reboot, the last one finally made up for the STAIN of the McGuire era films.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #124 on: 22 Feb 2014, 08:33 »

I don't think racism has anything to do with people not wanting unnecessary changes to characters they follow.. The big question is why? Do they have some imaginative creative vision that requires Johnny to be adopted? Sure, then I'm all for it. Sadly, though, I think this is just a publicity stunt, to create controversy and discussion, as well as appealing to larger demographics and "filling diversity quotas". I'd be happy to be proven wrong, tho!
I dunno..

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #125 on: 22 Feb 2014, 11:20 »

As a side note since Heimdall came up, if any one bitches to you about him being black in the movie, without also bitching about Thor being blonde and best bros with Sif instead of married and Loki's adopted brother instead of his blood nephew... well they've already proven they're ignorant shitheads, but they're also ignorant shitheads without a leg to stand on. Hit them with something heavy in the name of Asgard.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #126 on: 22 Feb 2014, 13:09 »

To be fair, there IS a valid complaint, but only that they wasted Idris Elba on a relatively minor role. (Thankfully less minor in Thor 2)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #127 on: 22 Feb 2014, 15:56 »

As a side note since Heimdall came up, if any one bitches to you about him being black in the movie, without also bitching about Thor being blonde..

Are you implying Thor's hair isn't blonde..?
I dunno..

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #128 on: 22 Feb 2014, 16:19 »

I suspect Garand is referring to real Thor not comic Thor. Possibly to deliberately confuse the issue.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #129 on: 22 Feb 2014, 16:41 »

Well, if so, I might address that Thor, the movie character, is based on a comic book character, who again is inspired by the Norse god Tor.

Just saying :)

(Also, is there stated somewhere that Tor, the Norse god, doesn't have blonde hair?)
I dunno..

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #130 on: 22 Feb 2014, 17:29 »

In Norse mythology, largely recorded in Iceland from traditional material stemming from Scandinavia, numerous tales and information about Thor are provided. In these sources, Thor bears at least fourteen names, is the husband of the golden-haired goddess Sif, is the lover of the jötunn Járnsaxa, and is generally described as fierce-eyed, red-haired and red-bearded.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #131 on: 22 Feb 2014, 17:35 »

Fair enough!
I dunno..

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #132 on: 22 Feb 2014, 19:39 »

Not to sound snotty or anything here, but I like to think I know and have sources for the actual descriptions of my own deities.

Thor's red locks are the origin of the phrase "Let Red Haired thunder see to that!" which is apparently a common curse in certain parts of Scandinavia, and is common amongst some modern heathen communities as a "god dammnit" equivalent.

As to what Method said I'm not trying to confuse or muddy the waters, just making a point about canon

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #133 on: 22 Feb 2014, 19:58 »

As to what Method said I'm not trying to confuse or muddy the waters, just making a point about canon

Well, the canon of Norse mythology isn't really relevant to the movie based of a comic book character, just sayin' :]
I dunno..

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #134 on: 23 Feb 2014, 04:42 »

Sure, hitting the copy paste command on a culture's myths and an active religion's faith then changing a few, very minor details, while nit exactly creative is a valid form of creation (even Thor's role as the guardian of Midgard is a direct lift from historical sources.

Which again is my point, canon is treated like some permanent thing encased in steel never to be moved, but changes and evolves over time as new people create, visualize or otherwise generate/regenerate that character's universe.

That said it would be nice if the Christians got around to screwing with their own mythology instead of messing with everyone else's. Do you think marvel would support Jesus as a character if he was on a quest to defeat the 13 generals of Satan's army and the immortal lich King Solomon? He could totally team up with Dr. Strange

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #135 on: 23 Feb 2014, 06:10 »

That said it would be nice if the Christians got around to screwing with their own mythology instead of messing with everyone else's. Do you think marvel would support Jesus as a character if he was on a quest to defeat the 13 generals of Satan's army and the immortal lich King Solomon? He could totally team up with Dr. Strange

Well, DC does have their very own Jesus/Moses (sources disagree) adaptation :)
I dunno..

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #136 on: 23 Feb 2014, 06:15 »

See a bunch of non christian dominated areas for that sort of thing, GM. Misinterpreting christian mythology is a pretty standard thing in in manga and anime. And even US artist and comic writers borrow heavily from christian sources. Dawn, Constantine, dozens at least movies involving god, angels, demons. And that's not even counting the many, many times Satan is used in stories, as both a villain or hero.. sometimes both. Whether used by name or by very clear allusions to him.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #137 on: 23 Feb 2014, 11:40 »

And that's not even counting the many, many times Satan is used in stories, as both a villain or hero.. sometimes both. Whether used by name or by very clear allusions to him.

MovieBob did a double episode on that particular subject, just recently! Quite interesting actually:
The Devil You Know part I
The Devil You Know part II
I dunno..

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #138 on: 23 Feb 2014, 11:45 »

Well, the canon of Norse mythology isn't really relevant to the movie based of a comic book character, just sayin' :]
Also what I was saying was just complimenting the actor, not so much a comment on the plot/character.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #139 on: 23 Feb 2014, 14:11 »

See a bunch of non christian dominated areas for that sort of thing, GM. Misinterpreting christian mythology is a pretty standard thing in in manga and anime. And even US artist and comic writers borrow heavily from christian sources. Dawn, Constantine, dozens at least movies involving god, angels, demons. And that's not even counting the many, many times Satan is used in stories, as both a villain or hero.. sometimes both. Whether used by name or by very clear allusions to him.

I was being facetious. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #140 on: 02 Mar 2014, 07:03 »

Sure, hitting the copy paste command on a culture's myths and an active religion's faith then changing a few, very minor details

Humanoid aliens with super-advanced technology evoking Stargate rather than any of the traditional stories :o

The new trailer has made me look forward to the Guardians of the Galaxy movie :) even though I'm no fan of Saldana.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #141 on: 21 Mar 2014, 21:19 »

Because Stargate wasn't a whole sale expy of multiple culture's religious beliefs/mythology pasted over a "Hey! Ancient Aliens!" conspiracy theory website's central manifesto, which they then proceeded to add MacGyver too? I mean fuck yeah it was brilliant, I have probably watched more SG-1 then I have Star Trek, but it all goes back to appropriation, which Akima's spoken on far more eloquently then I ever will be able to.

Watching Thor: The Dark World finally. Pretty good.

"I have this completely under control!"
"Is that why everything's on fire?"

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #142 on: 01 Apr 2014, 15:37 »

So, anyone seen Winter Soldier yet? My friends and I are planning to see it soon, but don't mind waiting a little for the traffic to wind down. It's actually gotten really good critique so far (93% on RT, 63/100 on Mc), so I'm really excited to see it!
I dunno..

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #143 on: 01 Apr 2014, 15:39 »

It doesn't come out until Friday.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #144 on: 01 Apr 2014, 16:26 »

Though it's been out in Europe for a month I believe

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #145 on: 01 Apr 2014, 16:28 »

Oy, what the fuck? What manner of bullshit is that?

And please, nobody respond with "it's a common practice". Just because it happens all the time doesn't make it less bullshit.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #146 on: 01 Apr 2014, 18:38 »

Though it's been out in Europe for a month I believe

More like a week actually, but yes.
I dunno..

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #147 on: 02 Apr 2014, 00:09 »

Oy, what the fuck? What manner of bullshit is that?

The opposite of the usual bullshit that has it the other way round.  Also, the reason for the existence of DVD and BD region coding.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #148 on: 02 Apr 2014, 01:59 »

Region coding is also bullshit.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #149 on: 02 Apr 2014, 02:31 »

so Captain AMERICA debuted in europe before it did in america then. huh.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25   Go Up