THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 22:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe  (Read 245959 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe
« Reply #1150 on: 28 May 2019, 12:37 »

MCU US Government: The avengers are too dangerous to stop major threats because of collateral damage

Also MCU US Government: Lets nuke NYC to stop Loki
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #1151 on: 28 May 2019, 18:33 »

It was actually the World Security Council that was going to nuke New York. So it was the secret, shadowy world government.
Quis pater tibi est?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1152 on: 20 Jun 2019, 09:05 »

Why Thor ISN’T Immune to Electricity

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1153 on: 20 Jun 2019, 09:16 »

Disney are making a final push to make Endgame the highest grossing film of all time. They're doing this by rereleasing Endgame in selected theatres with a deleted scene after the credits. Considering they're 30 million dollars off, they might just do it.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1154 on: 20 Jun 2019, 15:36 »

Well Avatar re-released too so its par for the course.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #1155 on: 20 Jun 2019, 18:37 »

Disney are making a final push to make Endgame the highest grossing film of all time. They're doing this by rereleasing Endgame in selected theatres with a deleted scene after the credits. Considering they're 30 million dollars off, they might just do it.

That is a kind of marketing genius, but they could take this a lot further.

They ought to have, say, three different “deleted” scenes, and show just one of them after the credits of each screening so you need multiple viewings to see them all.

And one of them should be rare.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1156 on: 20 Jun 2019, 23:20 »

A bit like the ending of Clue, you mean?
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1157 on: 21 Jun 2019, 00:15 »

Yeah, except not with the crucial metaphorical "whodunnit" scene, just a bonus scene.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1158 on: 21 Jun 2019, 00:42 »

That is a kind of marketing genius, but they could take this a lot further.

They ought to have, say, three different “deleted” scenes, and show just one of them after the credits of each screening so you need multiple viewings to see them all.

And one of them should be rare.

Haha, I can see someone trying that. But the truth is that Endgame is nearing the end of its cinematic run and Disney are looking to start pushing Toy Story 4 now. It certainly would have been a feather in Disney's cap if they could have made it the highest grossing film in history, but they'll have to settle with it being the most successful film they've ever done instead.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1159 on: 21 Jun 2019, 21:05 »

Something always bugged me about the end of Ragnarok and how the Asgardians fare at the beginning of Endgame.
(click to show/hide)

Its a nitpick to be sure, its just something that stood out to me.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1160 on: 22 Jun 2019, 03:29 »

Its to do with Thor's mental state.
(click to show/hide)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1161 on: 12 Jul 2019, 21:04 »

I really liked Far From Home. Saw it last weekend.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1162 on: 14 Jul 2019, 18:34 »

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1163 on: 15 Jul 2019, 00:58 »

@LeeC,

Yeah, I start to get confused too.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #1164 on: 15 Jul 2019, 06:49 »

stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

dutchrvl

« Reply #1165 on: 15 Jul 2019, 09:38 »

The Room was definitely an underappreciated solo adventure of the winter soldier

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1166 on: 17 Jul 2019, 14:34 »

Ha ha, The Room may have been many things, but I sincerely doubt that underappreciated is one of them.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1167 on: 20 Aug 2019, 14:29 »

Disney and Sony have failed to reach an agreement, so guess who is no longer going to be in the MCU. I'll give you a clue, his name rhymes with Hider-nan.

Instead Sony are going to go for a 3rd reboot...

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #1168 on: 20 Aug 2019, 15:22 »

This is going to be very awkward for the MCU because Spider-Man: Far From Home explicitly set Spider-Man up as the new Earth-based primary character of the MCU.
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1169 on: 20 Aug 2019, 17:41 »

They will work something out, I'm sure. They are extraordinarily good at this. I doubt they would have walked away without a plan B.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1170 on: 21 Aug 2019, 02:20 »

Either way, if Tom doesn't keep the role of YFNS-M then it'll be a bloody shame.

He's not been the most *true to actual comic* realisation of the character, but he has certainly been the most likeable/realistic 'kid thrown into a world of superherodom'.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1171 on: 23 Aug 2019, 20:33 »

Well with Spider-man still up in the air, might as well pass on some news from the Disney expo.

- There's going to be a She-Hulk series on Disney+, along with Ms. Marvel and Moonknight getting their own series.
- John Walker, aka USAgent will be in the Falcon and Winter Soldier series, played by Wyatt Russell.
- The "What If" series will have 23 episodes, one episode per film in the MCU.
- The episode for Captain America: the First Avenger is likely to be "What If...Peggy Carter became Captain Britain?", after two images were shown, one of Peggy in the Vita Ray pod and another of her charging ahead with a shield that had the Union Jack on it.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1172 on: 25 Aug 2019, 16:45 »

Don't forget this

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1173 on: 25 Aug 2019, 17:21 »

Didn't forget.
Didn't know it was happening.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #1174 on: 25 Aug 2019, 23:02 »

I know Kamala Khan is going to appear, either in an animated form or in a live-action show. However, I really, really want it to be a Miss Marvel/Squirrel Girl team-up.
~~~~

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1175 on: 26 Aug 2019, 06:41 »

Don't forget this

True story: a few months ago I picked up the first couple volumes of Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and no sooner do I say "OMFG this is the BEST THING EVER" than I discover Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, falsifying my previous statement.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1176 on: 26 Aug 2019, 09:07 »

I know Kamala Khan is going to appear, either in an animated form or in a live-action show. However, I really, really want it to be a Miss Marvel/Squirrel Girl team-up.

They did that! I liked it

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1177 on: 04 Sep 2019, 16:12 »

Regarding Endgame.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2019, 16:18 by LTK »
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1178 on: 04 Sep 2019, 16:31 »

To be fair, the writers of Endgame discuss this.

(click to show/hide)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1179 on: 04 Sep 2019, 20:12 »

Yeah, they could have had a female character upstage the males. The fans would have stopped overlooking the film’s flaws real quick.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #1180 on: 04 Sep 2019, 23:27 »

The thing to remember is that the Stark-Pym time-travel system seems to have the assumption that all connected decision paths in any given universe are connected on a quantum level. So, using the system, you're not only going to certain time and space coordinates but also choosing between connected time-lines too.

(click to show/hide)

This 'connected multiverse' concept seems to be key to several aspects of MCU Phase 4. So long as the time-lines have a common origin point (probably by way of the use of the Stark-Pym system), you can travel 'sideways' between them. Basically a fifth direction of motion that is only accessible via the Quantum Realm.
~~~~

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1181 on: 05 Sep 2019, 02:23 »

That's still very spoilery, Ben. Surprisingly, this aspect was the one thing that didn't get spoiled for me.

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1182 on: 05 Sep 2019, 06:27 »

You know what's worrying?

These writers are paid so much money it's criminal...

But are we meant to believe that they wrote Infinity War and Endgame at different times?
And if so... HOW could they be ALLOWED to write themselves into a bloody corner?
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1183 on: 27 Sep 2019, 11:12 »

Sony and Disney have reached a deal to allow Tom Holland to play Spider-man for at least two additional films. So that's going to cover the third Homecoming film and a future Marvel Studios film. My guess will be it's going to be an ensemble film.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #1184 on: 27 Sep 2019, 12:21 »

FWIW, the MCU Spider-Man is young enough that the ensemble film could be the rumoured Young Avengers.

(click to show/hide)
~~~~

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #1185 on: 24 Aug 2020, 06:06 »

It occurs to me... seriously: Why not use Miles Morales if Tom Holland becomes unavailable to play Peter Parker for whatever reason?

But are we meant to believe that they wrote Infinity War and Endgame at different times?
And if so... HOW could they be ALLOWED to write themselves into a bloody corner?

We know this isn't true. Endgame was originally in pre-production as Infinity War Part II. I can't believe that the broad strokes of the film's story weren't in place before Infinity War wrapped. FWIW, I liked the use of time travel and, most importantly, I think that the hinted drawbacks/side effects are ensuring that it cannot turn into an easy reset button...

At least it isn't initially written that way but never underestimate what a poor hack writer may do some time in the future. Genies out of bottles and all that.
~~~~

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1186 on: 11 Sep 2020, 17:48 »

(click to show/hide)
We can't 100% know that. I'm not saying I like the idea, but it's been my interpretation from the start and it's at least possible.
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2020, 06:42 by Method of Madness »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1187 on: 14 Sep 2020, 14:32 »

Meth I cannot believe that was your comeback post
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1188 on: 18 Sep 2020, 06:43 »

Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1189 on: 04 Oct 2020, 02:13 »

They did at the end of GotG 2, but IDK if the James Gunn thing caused problems with that.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1190 on: 04 Oct 2020, 02:16 »

To be fair, the writers of Endgame discuss this.

(click to show/hide)
Wrote themselves into a corner my left asscheek. Thanatos has gotten the Infinity Stones at least twice in the comics . They had 30+ years of comics history to pick, choose, and improve from.

Any talk of writing themselves into a corner is just BS excuses for them being pretentious asshats and trying to keep fans from guessing what they were doing. I can't tell you how many excited posts I saw for people brining up Adam Warlock or Secret Wars or some other thing I've only got ancillary knowledge of. And these writers wanted to keep the fans from guessing. Good writing should be somewhat predictable. Especially when it comes to subjects the viewer has intimate knowledge on.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1191 on: 20 Apr 2021, 01:28 »

Shang Chi trailer just dropped

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1192 on: 03 May 2021, 12:19 »

So... the next Marvel phase is here...

Fantastic. Four-got about a lot of these coming out but I am intrigued.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #1193 on: 03 May 2021, 14:08 »

I'd better start saving up my money for movie tickets.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #1194 on: 03 May 2021, 23:18 »

MCU is in trouble and Marvel know it. It shows in the captions in the trailer-thing.

COVID19 could not have come at a worse time, with Endgame, the biggest challenge facing the franchise was to maintain its momentum and convince audiences that the story wasn't over; that there was still reason to continue to follow the series. So much more momentum has been lost and you can see in the trailer that Marvel are deliberately referencing the excitement of phases 1-3, claiming that, no matter how different it is, you'll still get the same positive buzz from the experience.

Post-COVID entertainment marketing is going to be weird, isn't it?
~~~~

dutchrvl

« Reply #1195 on: 04 May 2021, 10:31 »

Somehow I think Marvel will be just fine. Maybe phase 4 won't be quite as massive as what came before, but what could be, really?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1196 on: 05 May 2021, 04:53 »

Yeah, that trailer struck me as the polar opposite of a property in trouble.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #1197 on: 05 May 2021, 08:21 »

Really? It struck me as: "Hey, do you remember us? Do you remember that you liked us? Well, we're coming back and we want you to see that you should still like us!"
~~~~

dutchrvl

« Reply #1198 on: 05 May 2021, 17:45 »

Well, I suppose everybody will interpret things differently, but I think you’re reading way too much into this. If there is one franchise that does not need to worry about people coming to see their movies, it’s marvel, and people are yearning to start going to theaters again.
The beginning of this trailer to me is simply strong marketing by reminding people even more of what strong emotions movie-watching can bring. Most of it is more about the cinema experience itself than marvel anyway (even though they obviously would always be using clips from their own movies to make that point).

But hey, that’s just how I watched it.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #1199 on: 23 Aug 2021, 23:06 »

This is not a franchise that is struggling. This is a franchise that knows it is strong enough to throw the weirdest shit in its arsenal at the wall and make it stick.
Quis pater tibi est?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25   Go Up