THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 22:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe  (Read 245966 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe
« Reply #50 on: 04 Nov 2013, 14:28 »

I know, I know, but I still think it's shitty not to.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #51 on: 04 Nov 2013, 14:37 »

Also: DVD regions.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #52 on: 04 Nov 2013, 14:41 »

Now those are asking for piracy. "Oh, I like something enough to order it and pay for it to be shipped halfway around the world! But even if I do so, it won't work without a specialized DVD player."

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #53 on: 04 Nov 2013, 14:45 »

Who the hell downloads cam recordings anyways?

I have once (and I bought the BD on the day of release in Japan, so they lost nothing there).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #54 on: 04 Nov 2013, 17:08 »

Probably the main problem I had with this one is Jane Foster being a pretty boring damsel in distress. Given that she's also meant to be a physicist with several degrees, she's played kind of dumb throughout and I feel like Portman kind of phoned this one in. Given that she apparently only wanted to do the first one to work with Kenneth Branagh I can kind of see the lack of enthusiasm in her performance. Otherwise, very good.

:-\ I already felt this way about her in the first one. Shame that seems to continue to be the case.  Glad it's good otherwise though! Got plans to see it on the 15th with some friends!

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #55 on: 04 Nov 2013, 20:33 »

Just watched the most recent episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and one thing that ties directly into the universe post-Avengers is the underlaying season story arc.
(click to show/hide)

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #56 on: 05 Nov 2013, 03:12 »

Actually with the first Thor film it's a similar problem but I didn't read Foster as a damsel in distress in that one. I mean yeah her stuff gets taken by SHIELD but for the most part she is not actually at risk. In the first one she kind of gets swept up in Thor's story but isn't really hugely important aside from teaching Thor some humility (but really she didn't even need to be there which is a different problem). In the Dark World, Foster becomes a plot point which at least makes her important but really again, it could have been anyone.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #57 on: 05 Nov 2013, 05:46 »

Actually with the first Thor film it's a similar problem but I didn't read Foster as a damsel in distress in that one. I mean yeah her stuff gets taken by SHIELD but for the most part she is not actually at risk. In the first one she kind of gets swept up in Thor's story but isn't really hugely important aside from teaching Thor some humility (but really she didn't even need to be there which is a different problem). In the Dark World, Foster becomes a plot point which at least makes her important but really again, it could have been anyone.
I agree with this, but the film didn't take it's own plot seriously for me to ever care much about plot elements etc. :) It, like The Avengers, walked a fine line between dramatic and silly.
I dunno..

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #59 on: 07 Nov 2013, 12:52 »

Netflix signed a deal with Marvel to bring online several new shows based on mutiple properties, such as The Defenders, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Daredevil. This should expand the universe even more with these other underrated characters who either haven't gotten any exposure, only got exposure through the Disney XD TV shows, or have a bad movie hanging over their heads....

There was also a report that Marvel's most famous character, whose rights are currently under contract with Sony, could join the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the future- Maybe in time for Avengers 3!!!!!  :-o

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #60 on: 07 Nov 2013, 14:33 »

...Not going to say who that is then?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #61 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:10 »

Spider-Man.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #62 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:31 »

Didn't realize I didn't say who it was...my apologies.

It would fit in with the way things are going with the movies, the Amazing Spider-Man franchise should be done by 2018 with him being free to be used in Avengers 3.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #63 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:32 »

Oh for fuck's sake that means another Spiderman reboot that I don't want to watch.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #64 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:37 »

Oh for fuck's sake that means another Spiderman reboot that I don't want to watch.

It's actually aready started, last year's Amazing Spider-Man was the first installmen and Amazing Spider-Man 2 is being released next year.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #65 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:44 »

:lol:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #66 on: 07 Nov 2013, 16:49 »

Maybe not, they just might use this one

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Azumas_Revenge

• Plantmonster
  • It's probably the booze talking.
« Reply #67 on: 08 Nov 2013, 07:01 »

Certain characters do not belong in an Avengers movie this early in the continuity. Spider-man is one of them.

I'd sooner like to see some reference to Swordsman, Wonderman, perhaps even the Vision.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #68 on: 08 Nov 2013, 09:49 »

It would fit in with the way things are going with the movies, the Amazing Spider-Man franchise should be done by 2018 with him being free to be used in Avengers 3.

I can picture it, Sony being all like: "Oh, yeah, we finished up the planned quadrology by now, so we'll just give you back this multi-billion IP now, because we're such good guys :)"
I dunno..

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #69 on: 08 Nov 2013, 09:54 »

*tetralogy

Also less "because we're such good guys" and more "because we're getting a share of the profits".

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #70 on: 08 Nov 2013, 14:28 »

I can picture it, Sony being all like: "Oh, yeah, we finished up the planned quadrology by now, so we'll just give you back this multi-billion IP now, because we're such good guys :)"

Depends on how their contract is set up...Marvel was going to do it with Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch with them possibly being used in both the X-Men franchise and the Avengers franchise.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #71 on: 08 Nov 2013, 18:54 »

Yeah, but the thing with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver is that they're both heavily connected to the X-Men and The Avengers. Thus the contract they worked out goes such that Fox can use them, but not make any mention their of affiliation with The Avengers, while Marvel can use them, but not make any mention of their mutant background, their connection to the X-Men, or Magneto (their father).

Thaid said, it's obviously not impossible that Marvel/Disney and Sony could make a deal to do a crossover, or possibly even merge their franchises; it would most likely be very profitable. I just don't think it's remotely likely. Even though there's profit in it for them both, I can't imagine they could ever negotiate a deal that both parties would be happy about. Besides, to make things fit together, they'd might have to reboot or retcon Spider-Man again, and that wouldn't be very popular or smart.. :laugh:                 
I dunno..

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #72 on: 08 Nov 2013, 19:27 »

Yeah, but the thing with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver is that they're both heavily connected to the X-Men and The Avengers. Thus the contract they worked out goes such that Fox can use them, but not make any mention their of affiliation with The Avengers, while Marvel can use them, but not make any mention of their mutant background, their connection to the X-Men, or Magneto (their father).

Thaid said, it's obviously not impossible that Marvel/Disney and Sony could make a deal to do a crossover, or possibly even merge their franchises; it would most likely be very profitable. I just don't think it's remotely likely. Even though there's profit in it for them both, I can't imagine they could ever negotiate a deal that both parties would be happy about. Besides, to make things fit together, they'd might have to reboot or retcon Spider-Man again, and that wouldn't be very popular or smart.. :laugh:               

There is something else that I found out searching into the Marvel/Sony contract- Sony is in trouble financially. They could be forced to renegotiate their contract with Disney/Marvel for the rights to Spider-Man allowing him to join into the movie universe, and still retain their rights to him.  There is also the possibility that they might be forced to simply end the contract, severing ties after the current deal ends after the planned fourth movie in 2018, which would mean the rights would revert to Marvel/Disney and allowing him to be used in the third Avengers movie.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #73 on: 08 Nov 2013, 20:29 »

I haven't looked much into the financhial details, but if something like that were to happen, that would be awesome! How would they handle it though? Would they reboot the character all again? And with that, they'd probably need an own film dedicated to his origin story, considering how major a character he is, and the fact that he's so yound and his origin is a big part of his identity. They could focus and Avengers movie around him, but I don't see that happening. 2018+ is a long time from now, but a third itteration of the same character could be very confusing and off-putting for the general audience. Or they could use the same character? That would cause a lot of continuity problems though, as well as the fact that Andrew Garfield will be the late 30s by then. Not to mention legal problems of using Sony's franchise etc.

Conclusion; I see a lot of problems integrating the web-slinger into the MCU.. :-\
I dunno..

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #74 on: 08 Nov 2013, 21:19 »

So I just saw Thor 2. I enjoyed it.

(click to show/hide)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #75 on: 08 Nov 2013, 21:54 »

I haven't looked much into the financhial details, but if something like that were to happen, that would be awesome! How would they handle it though? Would they reboot the character all again? And with that, they'd probably need an own film dedicated to his origin story, considering how major a character he is, and the fact that he's so yound and his origin is a big part of his identity. They could focus and Avengers movie around him, but I don't see that happening. 2018+ is a long time from now, but a third itteration of the same character could be very confusing and off-putting for the general audience. Or they could use the same character? That would cause a lot of continuity problems though, as well as the fact that Andrew Garfield will be the late 30s by then. Not to mention legal problems of using Sony's franchise etc.

Conclusion; I see a lot of problems integrating the web-slinger into the MCU.. :-\

The way I see it is that they have him set up as a street-level hero. He isn't the big theatrical hero or S.H.I.E.L.D. agent like the others, he is in his own place going at it from his own neighborhoods while the other events are happening away from where he operates.  Keep the mixing of locaitons to a minimum and don't destroy major places.

And the age thing doesn't seem to be a problem with Sony since that's when they are running the seires through to, the character would only have to age two or three years putting him in college with the third and fourth movie if he isn't already in it in the second.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #76 on: 09 Nov 2013, 15:04 »

So I just saw Thor 2. I enjoyed it.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
I dunno..

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #77 on: 09 Nov 2013, 19:31 »

I enjoyed it, but I was kind of confused on why they wrote Hogun out of most of the movie. The Warriors 3 had a pretty big part to play and he wasn't there. Though I did like his new facial hair. I also loved that Darcy called Mjolnir, "Meow-meow," again.

Also, that pre-credit ending. 
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2013, 12:02 by Blue Kitty »

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #78 on: 11 Nov 2013, 07:02 »

Quote from: Gingerhaze
help I saw Thor 2 and I think I got on the wrong ship

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #79 on: 11 Nov 2013, 11:45 »

Doesn't this whole Netflix thing endanger the universe/franchise becoming huge and impassable for anyone who hasn't seen everything that came before?

The first Avengers avoided this by being an all round accessible film. But do sequels put people off? The mythology could end up being it's own undoing.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #80 on: 11 Nov 2013, 15:56 »

People who don't care enough to check out TV-series and all the movies probably don't care if they don't get all the minor plot elements and easter eggs in the Avengers movies :)

EDIT; MovieBob's review is out.
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2013, 08:49 by Edguy »
I dunno..

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #81 on: 22 Nov 2013, 02:17 »

just saw the dark world tonight, and it didn't blow my socks off or anything, but it was quite good nonetheless. fixed all the major problems from the first one, with the exception of portman's character being entirely uninteresting. and it brought enough new ideas to the table to hold my interest between the action sequences.

probably the best thing about it was that loki got to be an actual character again, rather than the cardboard-villain they flattened him into for the avengers.

the other thing is that i really liked the visual look of the film. i just love how pompously ostentatious they made asgard & everything in it.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #82 on: 31 Dec 2013, 15:20 »

Ladies and gentlebutts. May I present to you: The guardians.

DC: "Wonder Woman is a difficult character to work out on the big screen." Marvel: "Our next movie has a talking raccoon."
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #83 on: 31 Dec 2013, 15:51 »

Fear not, Planet Earth. Burt Macklin is on the case.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #84 on: 31 Dec 2013, 16:28 »

oh god I thought the same thing!

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #85 on: 02 Jan 2014, 05:13 »

Ladies and gentlebutts. May I present to you: The guardians.

DC: "Wonder Woman is a difficult character to work out on the big screen." Marvel: "Our next movie has a talking raccoon."

I'm really looking forward to this, if they can make it work, it can be some seriously entertaining shit!
I dunno..

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #86 on: 13 Jan 2014, 13:17 »

Michael Douglas has been cast in the upcoming Ant-Man movie as the original Ant-Man, Hank Pym. This should hopefully mean Douglas has a cameo in Avengers 2 since his character created Ultron, the villain of the movie.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #87 on: 15 Jan 2014, 16:25 »

Michael Douglas has been cast in the upcoming Ant-Man movie as the original Ant-Man, Hank Pym. This should hopefully mean Douglas has a cameo in Avengers 2 since his character created Ultron, the villain of the movie.

The talk is that Ultron won't be a creation of Hank Pym, but that he instead will be a corruption of Tony Stark's AI, Jarvis..
I dunno..

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #88 on: 15 Jan 2014, 19:33 »

The talk is that Ultron won't be a creation of Hank Pym, but that he instead will be a corruption of Tony Stark's AI, Jarvis..

Interesting idea, but why hire someone else to play the part of Ultron when Paul Bettany could have done it in person? It sounds very fishy as a plot twist, especially when Jarvis as a character is essential to the Avengers not to mention Iron Man as a whole...
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2014, 21:45 by LookingIn »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #89 on: 15 Jan 2014, 20:52 »

Nooo, not Jarvis! :(

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #91 on: 24 Jan 2014, 08:22 »

Stan Lee won't make his traditional cameo appearance in a Marvel movie in Guardians of the Galaxy. It is the first non-Blade or Punisher Marvel movie released where he has not had direct involvement in the original works, the other movies involved characters either had a hand in developing, co-created, or wrote for.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #92 on: 24 Jan 2014, 08:31 »

It's a dark day

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #93 on: 14 Feb 2014, 12:26 »

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #94 on: 16 Feb 2014, 18:53 »

Where is that from? :o
I dunno..

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #95 on: 16 Feb 2014, 19:28 »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

K1dmor

• Beyoncé
« Reply #96 on: 16 Feb 2014, 19:33 »

It's a dark day
What happened?

Stan Lee won't make his traditional cameo appearance in a Marvel movie
?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #97 on: 16 Feb 2014, 19:35 »

the other movies involved characters either had a hand in developing, co-created, or wrote for.
Yeah, but considering this, wouldn't his not making a cameo make sense?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #98 on: 16 Feb 2014, 20:06 »

Where is that from? :o

Click the picture, I linked it to the article

It's a dark day
What happened?

Stan Lee won't make his traditional cameo appearance in a Marvel movie in Guardians of the Galaxy. It is the first non-Blade or Punisher Marvel movie released where he has not had direct involvement in the original works, the other movies involved characters either had a hand in developing, co-created, or wrote for.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #99 on: 16 Feb 2014, 20:13 »

Yeah, I didn't realize that's what you were referring to, but...
the other movies involved characters either had a hand in developing, co-created, or wrote for.
Yeah, but considering this, wouldn't his not making a cameo make sense?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25   Go Up