THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe  (Read 248347 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe
« Reply #200 on: 29 Apr 2014, 16:33 »

Re: Coulson - they showed what he was up to during the movie's events on AoS.

Re: "Avengers Assemble", I still can't believe they called it that in England. That is just an awful title.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #201 on: 29 Apr 2014, 16:44 »

Re: Coulson, I don't know if you've been watching Agents of SHIELD, but they said in Avengers that the whole team is better off thinking Coulson is dead. Because of the show, I do believe that he won't be making appearances in the movies.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #202 on: 29 Apr 2014, 16:46 »

Re: "Avengers Assemble", I still can't believe they called it that in England. That is just an awful title.

Well it's because there's another Avengers over here, although that Avengers is so old now I really don't see how much of a threat it was to the brand.

I don't see the issue with 'Avengers Assemble' as a title, though - I mean... they say that. A lot. Not in the movie, but in the comics (those are some I have read, at least).

As for Coulson, did AoS suddenly stop being filmed in the 1990s and get good? Because it was boring me to tears for the first half of the season and I stopped watching.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #203 on: 29 Apr 2014, 16:47 »

It really did. I'm glad I stuck with it, it's been really, really good the past month or so.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #204 on: 29 Apr 2014, 18:49 »

I think a lot of issues with Agents of Shield is that they've been doing a lot of time just treading water. Between setting up world building and having to drag their feet to tie into events of Thor Dark World and especially Winter Soldier they had a lot of episodes that were just chaff. When you have that on top of the 'new cast, getting to know each other and the crew' it lead to a lot of headshakingly bad moments. Now that the Hydra is out of the bag though, it's really taken off. There are still two episodes left to make or break it... We'll see if they go in for a second season. Clearly it's not been big enough to sign them up halfway through the first... But they also probably want to keep Joss Whedon busy working for them.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #205 on: 30 Apr 2014, 03:57 »

Also, I forgot to mention.
(click to show/hide)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #206 on: 30 Apr 2014, 04:20 »

Except it didn't suck?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #207 on: 30 Apr 2014, 04:44 »

Skyfall was awesome.

I, like Gareth cannot wait for the MCU box sets.

Idea: Release Box sets chronologically tied to the Avengers movie they're centered around. So MCU box set one has Two Iron Man movies, Thor, Captain America (Fuck Yeah), etc capped off by the Avengers.

MCU 2 will have Thor The Dark World, Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man III, and possibly Hawk Eye/Black Widow/Dr. Strange if they get to those before Avengers 2

and so forth.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #208 on: 30 Apr 2014, 04:50 »

I had so many problems with Skyfall. Quantum was a quality drop from CR, but Skyfall was a further drop, and what sucks is that everyone liked it more. But this isn't the right thread for that, so I'll move on.

I can't see Hawkeye getting his own movie. BW...maybe, but after tWS it seems unlikely.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #209 on: 30 Apr 2014, 05:37 »

Widow isn't interesting enough to have her own movie for my money.

Has it ever been addressed why she has an American accent when she's a former KGB agent?

Also, head on over to the movie thread if you fancy ranting about Skiffle.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #210 on: 30 Apr 2014, 06:57 »

Black Widow and Doctor Strange movies are on the table, I think as possible Phase 3 movies. That doesn't mean they will happen of course. Right now they are in the 'rolling around, see if we can make them work/make a lot of money off of them'. I think that a lot of it will depend on how well Guardians of the Galaxy works out. As much as they love to talk about how the Avengers are supposed to be the 'lesser known characters of the Marvel Universe' compared to the X-Men, Spiderman or the Fantastic Four... they aren't. They really aren't. The Avengers as a group, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and the Hulk are some of Marvel's biggest named characters.

Less popular Avengers like Black Widow, Hawkeye or any of the Captain Marvels would be riskier to have run with. Right now Guardians is in that big risk category for them. They've used their big name star power to build brand credit... Will that credit be enough to pack people in to see less well known characters? And will they produce another movie that's fun to watch on it's own, while at the same time adding more to the shared universe?

If we do get a Black Widow movie, I hope that it will be co-starring Hawkeye. Spy thriller with super heroes will work, so was shown by Winter Soldier. And they are shown to have worked well together in the past, and like each other. Also importantly to trust each other enough to work together post SHIELD and outside the Avengers. So it make sense.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #211 on: 04 May 2014, 09:51 »

Widow has an American accent because she's a super-spy :o I really can't stand Renner so, as much as I'd like to see a Black Widow movie, maybe I'm better off without one.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #212 on: 04 May 2014, 10:18 »

Renner was great in The Hurt Locker and has been decent enough in everything since, but he still hasn't run out of good will from tHL, so I'll see pretty much* anything he's in.

*I never got around to seeing Hansel and Gretel. I may one of these days but it's not a priority.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #213 on: 04 May 2014, 12:19 »

I just watched Amazing Spider-man 2 and I thought it was ok. I still enjoy the second Spider-man movie the most, but I definitely put it above Spider-man 3. It did suffer a little from too many villains, but it it used them a lot more conservatively then Spider-man 3 did. I mean:
(click to show/hide)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #214 on: 04 May 2014, 17:45 »

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #215 on: 04 May 2014, 19:06 »

Really? Cause I enjoy Andrew Garfield as Spider-man. He isn't the best Peter Parker, Tobey McGuire beats him there, but he's an amazing Spider-man. I mean just look at the sarcasm in this:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #216 on: 04 May 2014, 19:08 »

Well to be fair, pretty much everything I heard was "it's bad". And I enjoyed it a lot, so...yeah, really. I really enjoyed

(click to show/hide)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #217 on: 04 May 2014, 19:36 »

Really? Cause I enjoy Andrew Garfield as Spider-man. He isn't the best Peter Parker, Tobey McGuire beats him there, but he's an amazing Spider-man. I mean just look at the sarcasm in this:

I prefer Andrew Garfield as both Parker and Spiderman, and the Garfield films over the Parker movies (which I have conveniently forgotten exist) by a wide margin.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #218 on: 08 May 2014, 07:16 »

Saw Capt. America 2 last night....sooo many questions. I really liked it!  Very clever story what with the plot being social commentary. Think I'll check out the TV show.  :-D

Admittedly I was distracted as I was paying attention to where in DC they were in scenes, since I work/live here
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #220 on: 10 May 2014, 07:45 »

Skyfall was awesome.

Idea: Release Box sets chronologically tied to the Avengers movie they're centered around. So MCU box set one has Two Iron Man movies, Thor, Captain America (Fuck Yeah), etc capped off by the Avengers.

MCU 2 will have Thor The Dark World, Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man III, and possibly Hawk Eye/Black Widow/Dr. Strange if they get to those before Avengers 2

and so forth.

Uh, you know that's a thing that exists, right?

I have it. It's great. Can't wait for Phase 2 (which should be Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Cap 2, Guardians, possibly Ant-Man? and Avengers 2).
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #221 on: 10 May 2014, 08:22 »

I was thinking all along that Ant-Man (holy crap, there's a hyphen! How have I never noticed that???) was going to be phase three since I knew the next Avengers Movie was 2015 and I've yet to hear of a release date for Ant-Man. Apparently Ant-Man is planned for around July 17th, 2015 (in the US), which is around 2.5 months after Avengers 2. I wouldn't expect it to be good enough pacing-wise to be the end cap to phase 2, but I'm waiting to be proven wrong!

Also, yes, I have that collector's edition as well. Still need to actually force my boyfriend to marathon those movies with me. He somehow missed seeing the Thors and he needs to know how much of an improvement 2 is over 1.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #222 on: 10 May 2014, 08:48 »

Argh, that looks awesome, but I already own a few of those movies and even if I didn't, $219 is just...no. I can't.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #223 on: 10 May 2014, 12:25 »

hope hulk shows up again in a movie.  I rather liked the Edward Norton one.  Which also kicked off the avenger's movies.  Is the one with Eric Bana not considered part of this cinematic universe's continuity?

I still need to see Iron man 3 (and the eric bana hulk movie if it is cannon).  Other than that I would now be all caught up.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #224 on: 10 May 2014, 12:50 »

Ant-Man is not part of phase 2 (which obviously ends with Avengers 2), and so kicks off phase 3 :)

hope hulk shows up again in a movie.  I rather liked the Edward Norton one.  Which also kicked off the avenger's movies.  Is the one with Eric Bana not considered part of this cinematic universe's continuity?

Hulk (2003) is not part of the cinematic universe. When Marvel made Marvel Studios, and with that Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, they had ideas about a shared universe, but no concrete plans. All depended on how well the films did. Because of that, The Incredible Hulk was sort of a soft reboot, since it's not another origin, and in many ways could function as very different looking sequel. However, Iron Man was a huge hit and the MCU became a concrete thing, meaning the two films by definition are unconnected. And that's today's class in geek culture & history, kids!
« Last Edit: 10 May 2014, 12:58 by Edguy »
I dunno..

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #225 on: 10 May 2014, 13:24 »

Skyfall was awesome.

and so forth.

Uh, you know that's a thing that exists, right?

I have it. It's great. Can't wait for Phase 2 (which should be Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Cap 2, Guardians, possibly Ant-Man? and Avengers 2).

I really wish I had roughly $200 to spare.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #226 on: 11 May 2014, 06:47 »

It's so worth it.

The Avengers Marathon I did was amazing.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #227 on: 11 May 2014, 07:42 »

I got it when it first came out for about $140, so it was quite a bit easier to swallow then. So look early if you can spare something to that amount and are interested in the phase 2 version. My boyfriend joked that they would do an Ultron chasis and stick everything in there for it. XD If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll probably post an amazon link or something on here.

As for Ant-Man, I find it odd that phase 3 starts so quickly after phase 2. I'd have thought it'd be about another year, but you won't find me complaining!  I'm not a big fan of Wasp or any of the Ant-Men, but I like Paul Rudd and ultimately anything marvel will potentially make me happy (can't wait for that phase 8 Squirrel Girl movie!).

Also, ugh... Eric Bana Hulk was okay, but it felt like it took an hour before he Hulked out. It's a big reason why I feel the Ed Norton one was so much better.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #228 on: 11 May 2014, 13:27 »

I already have Iron Man 1/2 and the Avengers on Bluray. I don't really care that much about Thor, I care even less about the Incredible Hulk (especially since they cast a better Bruce Banner for the Avengers, no disrespect towards Edward Norton but Ruffalo is without a doubt a better Banner). So I'd basically be spending $200+ for Captain America and a cool case.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #229 on: 14 May 2014, 18:16 »

Channing Tatum will play Gambit in an upcoming movie

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #230 on: 15 May 2014, 06:29 »

Oh please be real

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #231 on: 15 May 2014, 06:34 »

Oh fuck yes. Please. Fuck yes Pleaaaaaaaaaaase. <3

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #232 on: 15 May 2014, 09:01 »

By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth, yes please!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #233 on: 15 May 2014, 11:57 »

Everything you all just said.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #234 on: 16 May 2014, 11:02 »

Oh please be real

I bet that's an editing troll, haven't seen any rumors/news of a Dr. Strange casting anywhere else. That said, I'm pretty sure Dr. Strange will be one of the movies in phase 3. So far we haven Ant-Man and Captain America 3 confirmed. I don't think Thor 3 is confirmed, but it's pretty likely. With that, we have two sequels, two new IPs and Avengers 3. Sounds reasonable. Other possibilities, if Thor 3 isn't a thing, would be Black Panther. That would make a lot of people happy!

EDIT: Quote from Kevin Feige regarding Dr. Strange (he was mentioned briefly in The Winter Soldier, when Sitwell talks about the algorithm that seeks out preemptive threats, if you missed it):
... The whole thing, what Sitwell’s saying is, this algorithm is going to predict if you’re going to become a problem for Hydra or not. So you don’t have to just be Tony Stark, actively plotting to save the world. You could be a kid whose SAT scores and whose essays have indicated that you’re going to be a problem one day. So is Stephen Strange the Sorcerer Supreme? Probably not at that point. Is he an unbelievably talented neurosurgeon who’s opinionated and kind of arrogant? Probably. That might put him on the list.
Source: http://www.craveonline.com/film/interviews/670837-kevin-feige-interview-captain-america-the-avengers-2-and-dr-strange

No talk about a film or any casting tho.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2014, 11:25 by Edguy »
I dunno..

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #236 on: 17 May 2014, 22:37 »

A trailer for a trailer? Wtf.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #237 on: 18 May 2014, 02:37 »

This is quite helpful.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #238 on: 19 May 2014, 16:22 »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #239 on: 19 May 2014, 20:08 »

It helps if you cast BURT MACKLIN, FBI.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #240 on: 20 May 2014, 07:35 »

I don't normally say this sort of thing... but in this case it really is easy. Make interesting, fun films and people will watch them. It doesn't matter if it's a big name character or someone made up for the movie. If it's good, people will watch. Sadly, to many in the entertainment industry want to play to percentages it seems. They keep re-using characters that are shown popular in other media or other movies, thinking that's the key. A well known character may draw people in opening week... But if the film itself is a dull, lifeless vehicle then it is going to get rightfully slammed. See criticisms over the latest Spider Man film.

The MCU films have worked so far because they have been interesting and fun in and of their own right. Not because the Avengers are in them. And Guardians will succeed if it turns out to be as fun as the previews are making it look. And this is why Agents of Shield has stumbled this first season... The pacing was bad to make it tie in with Winter Soldier, which lead to a lot of weak, dull episodes and gaps in the showing order. Fortunately it ended stronger. Characters seemed to gel together near the end of the season, and those interesting hooks that have been dangling in the first half set up got yanked on. But it could have just as easily fallen flat if the second half hadn't come together.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #241 on: 20 May 2014, 08:55 »

I know this is entirely anecdotal, but I am pretty much die-hard DC, and in the choice between the DCCU and the MCU, I take the MCU all the way, because the Marvel films have just been better overall.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #242 on: 20 May 2014, 15:18 »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #243 on: 20 May 2014, 19:19 »

I love that clip from the previews SO much.

Also re: Agents of SHIELD, I quite liked the finale. Coulson got in so many of his awesome quips and I loved it. Also I am really interested to see what happens based on:

(click to show/hide)

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #244 on: 20 May 2014, 19:33 »

I'm so hyped for the movie it's ridiculous

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #245 on: 21 May 2014, 10:26 »

LOVED the AoS finale, esp. "let me show you", "we're a team" and "Guys! I found it!" and oh yeah "because you slept with her" :D

(click to show/hide)
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #246 on: 23 May 2014, 17:48 »

Uh-oh
Edgar Wright, the director of Shaun of the Dead and other wonderful Simon Pegg-Nick Frost films, is no longer directing Marvel's Ant-Man. Wright has been tied to the film since 2006, and it's due out on November 6, 2015 – the director change won't impact the launch date, Marvel says.

Wright and Marvel are splitting "due to differences in their vision of the film," a statement reads. Marvel says it will announce a new director shortly, but we find it hard to believe that anyone could adequately replace Wright's wild, manic, witty style. We'll pour one out for Wright's Ant-Man tonight.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #247 on: 23 May 2014, 20:00 »

Odin damn it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #248 on: 24 May 2014, 02:53 »

I didn't think Wright was a fit for the MCU anyway and wasn't really arsed about this film anyway.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #249 on: 24 May 2014, 06:03 »

Bad news, tho Gareth might be right. It always seemed like Wright's plans for the movie fell a little far away from the rest of the MCU. Wonder if this changes the script in major ways, like making Henry Pym the main character again. (The plans were, that I gathered, that it would feature both Hank Pym and Scott Lang, but Pym would be just an old scientist, and Scott be the one to actually utilize Pym's technology to become Ant-Man)
I dunno..
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25   Go Up