THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe  (Read 248296 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe
« Reply #1050 on: 18 Mar 2017, 13:39 »

Dear Deadpool

You really have to be a Kryptonian capable of moving as Super Speed for that to work properly

;D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1051 on: 18 Mar 2017, 15:33 »

To me, that scene just reminds us how much of a dork, a geek and a nerd Wade Wilson is and always will be.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1052 on: 19 Mar 2017, 17:44 »

I saw it in theaters and sadly they use a shorter version without stan lee or a phone call

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1053 on: 19 Mar 2017, 18:33 »

Saw Logan today, didn't realize this version was different so I watched it. Paused the text at the end, it's a description of The Old Man and the Sea.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1054 on: 22 Mar 2017, 19:32 »

So I just finished Iron Fist. Overall, I liked it, but probably the weakest of the shows. Definitely doesn't deserve the hate it's been getting, though.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1055 on: 25 Mar 2017, 15:22 »

I'm about halfway through Iron Fist and, although I'm enjoying it more than Luke Cage, I just can't get over the sloppy execution.

80% of the actors are mediocre or outright bad. Characterization of several of the main characters is extremely clumsy, both due to poor writing as well as poor acting (this is esp. true of Danny and Colleen--see eg. Colleen's ridiculous and out-of-character smiles and giggles). Jessica Stroup's acting reminds me of Kristen Stewart and Keanu Reeves but lacks their range and depth and sincerity. As with JJ and LC, the secondary antagonists are far more compelling than the protagonists. Both Ward and "Frank" make the most of their occasionally comically villainous dialogue. Even minor characters like the people at Birch, Joy's assistant, Frank's computer-guy etc. outdo eg. Danny and Joy. I enjoyed seeing Hogarth again. Claire, not so much.

Danny starts off being exactly as annoying as you'd expect a home-schooled, bullied, idealistic 15-y-o kid to be after years of abuse, thousands of concussions and the guidance of others who've suffered thousands of concussions. I was kinda okay with that, the homeless hipster thing sorta worked. I could even stomach the extremely lazy writing during the boardroom scenes. Like everything else in the show it was a bit on the nose, but it felt like a comic book thing. What I'm having a lot more difficulty with is that, behind Danny's character, I'm sensing the wish-fulfillment of an army of dumb millennial slackers with motivational problems and "unrealized potential". Or perhaps the very noticeable self-insertion of just one such dummy. This may partly be due to his dumb face. His character lacks cohesion. The weird clueless adolescent hipster monk schtick works for him. When he's the 15-y-o traumatized and abused orphan trying to connect, it works. But then they try to make him intense, mysterious, sexy, smart, dangerous, funny, righteous and every other conceivable awesome or cool adjective known to man and it turns into a mess. Every time they have him acting superior to eg. Colleen or Joy it makes me retch.

I've been kinda disappointed with the fight-scenes so far. Movements are slow and strikes don't seem to connect properly. The choreography is uninteresting. There's no real tension in Danny's fights, several of which look and feel like watching amateur interpretive dance with wires, or the shameful kung-fu training re-enactments of a teenage boy, performed in secret in his room in front of a mirror. Compared to DD and Arrow, these scenes are embarrassing, and I hope they improve as the show progresses.

With all that said, I've actually been positively surprised by the show so far. I didn't expect to be able to get through the first episode, but I've found every episode reasonably compelling. There isn't as much filler or quite as many scenes as in LC that you just want to skip. They really should have embraced the martial arts genre as well as added more humor--it would have made some of the show's greatest deficiencies less noticeable. Anyway, er, you should totally watch it.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1056 on: 10 Apr 2017, 07:15 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #1057 on: 10 Apr 2017, 07:29 »

Trailer Reaction:
(click to show/hide)
~~~~

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1058 on: 10 Apr 2017, 10:44 »

Trailer Reaction:
(click to show/hide)

r/nocontext, where are you?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1059 on: 10 Apr 2017, 12:24 »

This Hela is on point
(click to show/hide)

AND MOTHERFUCKING SKURGE
(click to show/hide)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1060 on: 10 Apr 2017, 15:08 »

(click to show/hide)

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1061 on: 10 Apr 2017, 16:15 »

THAT'S WHAT I'M AFRAID OF

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1062 on: 10 Apr 2017, 17:33 »

I know, its going to be great!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1063 on: 10 Apr 2017, 20:16 »

Holy shit, Thor's reaction about ninety seconds in is the most adorable thing I've ever seen.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1064 on: 13 Apr 2017, 20:26 »

"He's a friend from work!"
 :-D :-D :-D

But....Meowmow... :cry:
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1065 on: 13 Apr 2017, 21:11 »

Eh, Mewmew is the godly weapon version of Kenny from South Park, every couple of years it gets broken and fixed soon after. It's been damaged as often as Cap Amercia's shield has been shattered.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1066 on: 29 Jun 2017, 07:49 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1067 on: 29 Jun 2017, 13:17 »

This Hela is on point
(click to show/hide)

AND MOTHERFUCKING SKURGE
(click to show/hide)
As a woman of half Icelandic descent, Hel is kinda my jam. I'm interested in seeing an interpretation of her on screen
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1068 on: 06 Jul 2017, 15:35 »

Saw Spider-Man: Homecoming

Yeah, they kinda nailed this one. Everyone in the audience had a great time. Holland delivered on the promise from Civil War and Keaton's Vulture/Toomes made for pretty much the only compelling villain in the current MCU, combining the best aspects of Norman Osborne and Otto Octavius from the first trilogy, avoiding their flaws and adding a unique flair all his own that made this version of his character more interesting than most of his comic-book and cartoon incarnations. The supporting cast was solid and made the most of their few lines of dialogue.

Unlike the previous Spidey-movies, which were all fatally flawed in one way or another (with the possible exception of Spider-Man 2), Homecoming had, IMO, no major deal-breakers. There were a few rough edges--kinda lame theme track, two-dimensional supporting characters, painfully bad Gargan, etc--but nothing that really risked ruining the movie as a whole. Excellent pacing and use of tension throughout. Only a little melodrama that was almost always reined in at just the right moment. Fight sequences were decent and the CGI actually added to the experience without being distracting (much like it was in Winter Soldier).

Forgoing another retelling of the origin story was a very good decision, except in one respect: the movie doesn't really do justice to Peter's constant struggle with his own sense of duty and the conflicting demands that places on him in his various roles as student, friend, kin, hero etc.

The only major criticisms I have are that there was too much slapstick comedy in the first act (given Parker's performance in Civil War) and that we didn't really get a feel for what a huge mega-brainy nerd Parker really is. That said, this movie captures the essence of Spidey's formative years--the dorky, hopeless, teen-aged friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man coming into his own in a huge and terrifying universe full of seemingly insurmountable obstacles and villains with unimaginable power--in a way no other movie has done, so far. I'm very satisfied and looking forward to the sequel, although I hope said sequel won't feature Gargan too heavily. It wasn't a cinematic masterpiece but it was a very enjoyable movie, esp. for people who love Spidey :o

There are two extra scenes and I recommend staying for both. They've also posted an extra scene that didn't make it into the final cut:

Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1070 on: 11 Jul 2017, 17:29 »

Milana Vayntrub = Squirrel Girl

That.
Is.
Perfect.
Casting
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1071 on: 12 Jul 2017, 18:14 »

In case anyone didn't know, this is the new Squirrel Girl.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1072 on: 13 Jul 2017, 00:41 »

Your data caps and pricing over there never cease to amaze me.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1073 on: 13 Jul 2017, 08:21 »

"The free market will take care of itself". That's the fallacy of letting capitalism run free. Companies do whatever they can to maximize their profits, usually at the expense of other people.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1074 on: 13 Jul 2017, 15:46 »

Your data caps and pricing over there never cease to amaze me.
I've had a smartphone since 2008, and I've never not had unlimited data. Grandfathered with AT&T until 2014, then I switched to T-Mobile when AT&T started throttling. Now they all offer unlimited again.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1075 on: 24 Jul 2017, 20:30 »

Whoever is in charge of the music for the Thor Ragnarock trailers is on fire!
Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song for the first trailer and now an awesome remix of Magic Sword's In The Face of Evil?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1076 on: 24 Jul 2017, 21:05 »

Captain Marvel movie is going to be set during the early 90s with Carol fighting the Skrulls and Nick Fury will have both eyes.

So yeah, there's that too.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1077 on: 24 Jul 2017, 21:33 »

Wait, an MCU movie that doesn't take place the year it came out? Interesting. Even The First Avenger ended in 2011.

Edit: Ahh, it's gonna come out between Avengers 3 and 4, so I guess that makes sense.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1078 on: 24 Jul 2017, 21:57 »

Wait, an MCU movie that doesn't take place the year it came out? Interesting. Even The First Avenger ended in 2011.

Edit: Ahh, it's gonna come out between Avengers 3 and 4, so I guess that makes sense.

It's not the first time, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 was set in 2014, taking place just a couple of months after the first.

Doctor Strange takes place over a couple of years.

It's the cinematic version of comic book time.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #1079 on: 24 Jul 2017, 23:20 »

Captain Marvel movie is going to be set during the early 90s with Carol fighting the Skrulls and Nick Fury will have both eyes.

That in itself creates a problem for the script-writers to resolve. If Carol has had her powers since the 1990s (meaning she became active at about the same time as Tony Stark became Iron Man), then why was she not involved with hunting down The Hulk or repulsing the Chitauri?

One obvious explanation I can come up with is that they're going to go down the 'Jessica Jones' route and have her retire and effectively go into hiding for some reason. Given what I remember about the character, that could be either personal tragedy or the fight against alcoholism that was a major part of the character for a while in the 1990s.

Alternately, as the good Captain got her powers from some kind of Kree technology, she may have been off-world with her sponsors for some reason and not know anything about recent events until Thanos trashes the place looking for the Infinity Gems. She may initially turn up in the main plot thread in pursuit of the Guardians to enforce a speeding ticket that they picked up at some point.
~~~~

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1080 on: 25 Jul 2017, 04:42 »

That in itself creates a problem for the script-writers to resolve. If Carol has had her powers since the 1990s (meaning she became active at about the same time as Tony Stark became Iron Man), then why was she not involved with hunting down The Hulk or repulsing the Chitauri?

Carol Danvers, although a major heroine on Earth, is technically one of Marvel's Cosmic stable. Presumably because she is part Kree in the comics, I'm guessing that by the end of her film Carol will end up in some form of suspended animation. Either that or she's in deep space on a mission or imprisoned, either by the Skrull or the Kree.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1081 on: 25 Jul 2017, 05:59 »

She's also spent extended time out in the greater galaxy. Including stretches of time spent with the Guardians of the Galaxy and the Starjammers. Since she would be SHIELD's resident alien expert during the time the Avengers were being formed there are two likely explanations. She was already out in space somewhere fighting the Chitauri or trying to find out more about them and missed the battle for New York. Or during the time she was long out of touch, possibly presumed dead. We'll probably get the answer at the end of her movie, with a post credits scene explaining what she's being doing the last two decades in space and returning to warn SHIELD about Thanos coming for the Infinity Gems.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1082 on: 25 Jul 2017, 06:44 »

Neko pretty much hit the nail on the head. Let's not forget that War Machine wasn't there for the Battle of New York. Neither was Hank Pam. Even if you have supersonic speed, it still takes a while to travel across a continent. So really, the most likely reasons why Carol wasn't fighting was either she's in space and has been for several years, or she's gone Binary and it's taking her time to return.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2017, 07:24 by TheEvilDog »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1083 on: 25 Jul 2017, 10:42 »

War Machine wasn't around at that time, was he? I forget when Iron Man 2 came out right now. Ant Man was a different story... Maybe SHIELD didn't know he was Hank Pym, though that seems unlikely. Maybe they knew he was retired and not fit for super heroing anymore.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1084 on: 25 Jul 2017, 10:48 »

Iron Man 2 was the third film in the MCU, 2 movies before Avengers Assemble.

And the MCU version of Hank Pym was a founding member of SHIELD (or a very early agent). My point was that there will be plenty of heroes or assets who were operating at the time of the Battle of New York that simply couldn't make it to New York in time.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1085 on: 14 Aug 2017, 21:42 »

Meanwhile ....

In the City of Townsville ..............

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1086 on: 19 Aug 2017, 19:23 »

So...anyone else watch The Defenders yet?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #1087 on: 20 Aug 2017, 23:07 »

I've started watching it this week. It has all the problems of a crossover in that it has to re-introduce four already-introduced characters but the first episode does that well, just telling four stories (five actually, but the details of that are a spoiler) that have no obvious link. We'll see how they handle meshing them together, especially Jessica 'Self-Hating Misanthrope' Jones.
~~~~

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1088 on: 22 Aug 2017, 17:50 »

So...anyone else watch The Defenders yet?
Not as of yet.  I had not watched "Iron Fist" yet because of some of the reviews, but am starting it now.  I will go on to "The Defenders" when I finish.  (The first episode so far isn't bad, but it's not anywhere near as gripping as Daredevil S1, Jessica Jones, or Luke Cage were.)

Edit:
Okay, watching The Defenders now, on ep 6, although I'll have to re-watch eps 3-6 again since I was busy setting up a Slack for my local LUG on the other display and made the mistake of mentioning it on the group's IRC channel (and dealing with that).
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2017, 16:59 by hedgie »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1089 on: 24 Aug 2017, 18:41 »

Currently known list of characters for Infinity War:
(click to show/hide)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1090 on: 25 Aug 2017, 10:21 »

No Brie Larsen?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1091 on: 25 Aug 2017, 11:36 »

Nope, Brie Larson will be making her debut in the MCU in 2019's Captain Marvel movie. She won't be in Infinity Wars until the second film.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1092 on: 06 Nov 2017, 15:21 »

I saw Thor: Ragnarok over the weekend and it was a fantastic movie. All the returning characters gave great performances and Cate Blanchett absolutely killed it as Hela. My biggest gripe in the movie was I wanted more scenes with her. I want an entire movie around her. Scourge was sadly, poorly used here. His primary role was to give Hela someone to talk to when we needed plot exposition from her. The storyline makes some rather large departures from both actual Norse myth and Marvel's version of Asgard. I wouldn't say it spoiled my enjoyment of the film, but I did spend a lot of time thinking 'wait, what?'.

Fight scenes, quite epic. People talking and bantering was often times funny, sometimes moving. There was a lot of humor in a movie about the destruction of Asgard... There was a lot of character growth for Thor obviously and a fair bit for Loki. Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie was great too.. though again, she is literally nothing like Brunhylde the Valkyrie from the Marvel books. I don't even think it was supposed to be her, but rather another Valkyrie.

If you're a fan of the MCU, I recommend seeing, as if you weren't going to anyway. If you aren't a fan and have no idea what this is on about... It's still a good movie, but I think a lot of stuff just won't make any sense. We're getting to a point where people watching are just assumed to know when characters, events and places are name dropped. If anyone were to start watching mid way at this point it would at best be mildly confusing that they keep talking about stuff that happened, but that's the price of an ongoing story like this.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1093 on: 06 Nov 2017, 15:58 »

Disney reportedly in talks to buy 21st Century Fox:
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/11/06/disney-buys-21st-century-fox/

This would bring the Fantastic Four, and all associated with them, and the X-Men, and all associated with them, back to Marvel. The only thing outside of Marvel control then would be Spider-Man and his ancillary characters and villains.

Additionally, this would clear up some outstanding rights issues relating to the original Star Wars trilogy, and probably pave the way for a fully restored/remastered Blu-Ray release of the unedited films.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1094 on: 06 Nov 2017, 16:33 »

Technically the Hulk is also out of Marvel's control. The Incredible Hulk was a special deal between Universal and Marvel, Universal own the rights to individual Hulk movies, but allows the character to be used in ensemble films.

But a couple of sources have said that the two companies aren't currently in talks. There have been some discussions, in particular about streaming services between Fox and Disney. In August it was reported that Disney might be pulling its material from Netflix as it looks to start its own streaming service.

Still, we'll have to see what comes about.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #1095 on: 06 Nov 2017, 19:13 »

Another interesting bit is that, if this deal were to include everything not fox news and fox sports, it would give Disney a controlling interest in Hulu (Disney currently has 27% and Fox has 27 or 28%). Additionally it would bring other IPs like Alien, Predator, Terminator, Planet of the Apes and Avatar. That's a lot of IPs with franchise potential when under Disney supervision. They wouldn't just be printing money, they would be 3D printing the machines that print the money.
Quis pater tibi est?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1096 on: 06 Nov 2017, 19:35 »

Which is another point. Disney already owns the ABC Network, they can't legally own Fox without getting into antitrust issues.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #1097 on: 06 Nov 2017, 23:27 »

Disney are only interested in buying parts of 20th Century Fox. I think that a lot of questions would be answered if we knew which parts. I'm betting it's their back-catalogue and lots of their licenses.
~~~~

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1098 on: 07 Nov 2017, 18:44 »

Let's be honest, this is a pretty good administration for a merger that would normally be blocked.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1099 on: 08 Nov 2017, 04:27 »

Getting the X-Men in there would probably be one of the only things that would get me properly engaged with the universe again. There'd still be way too many characters, even more so, as a matter of fact, but getting the X-Men involved in some of the big arcs would be something I'd really like to see.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Up