THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe  (Read 248195 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe
« Reply #1200 on: 23 Aug 2021, 23:39 »

Speak for yourself. I was enjoying the teaser up to about half-way and then I was suddenly reminded of One More Day, the disastrous arc when Marvel basically soft rebooted Spider-Man, taking away everything good in his life (because "no-one relates to a happily-married Spider-Man with a family) that only made the title worse. Another universe's Doc Ock turning up at the end just confirmed to me that this is Marvel desperately throwing whatever they've got in the bottom of the vegetable crisper at the wall, hoping that something sticks.

I know that interdimensional hijinx is the MCU's idea of what can keep the franchise going after the story ended in Endgame. However, it just leaves me cold right now.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2021, 23:55 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #1201 on: 23 Aug 2021, 23:47 »

There is a world of difference between saying "MCU is in trouble and Marvel know it" and "... it leaves me cold, personally." Just saying.

P.S. It feels weird to be defending Marvel in a way. So much of what they do leaves me cold.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2021, 23:55 by Tova »
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #1202 on: 24 Aug 2021, 05:02 »

Multiversal disorientation, have a beer and some peanuts and it'll pass.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1203 on: 25 Aug 2021, 06:33 »

If I can get this scene in the movie, my cup will have runnith over:

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #1204 on: 26 Aug 2021, 04:23 »

And this is why. So obsessed with intertextual payoff, for someone like me who hasn't been along for the ride the whole time, there's very little good story left over.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1205 on: 12 Oct 2021, 04:35 »

So what'd people think of What If? and Shang-Chi?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #1206 on: 12 Oct 2021, 13:20 »

I enjoyed Shang Chi (watched it at the movies last week). Watched most of What If, and feeling a bit 'meh' about that. It started out well (Peggy Carter as Captain America!) and went downhill from there IMO.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1207 on: 13 Oct 2021, 01:32 »

I finally watched Black Widow since it was free and thought it was just okay. I didn't hate the Taskmaster twist at all. Honestly I think the movie would have been better if it had actually came out at the time it should have post Civil War instead of after Endgame. Though I wonder who would have been Red Guard then cause I don't think they would have gone with David Harbor.

I enjoyed What If and especially the season finale, even if they just dropped Gamora and Sakaar Tony Stark into it

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1208 on: 15 Oct 2021, 09:28 »

they just dropped Gamora and Sakaar Tony Stark into it

Apparently that was because there was supposed to be an episode where Tony ends up on Sakaar, but it got cut because of COVID. There's even a Lego set for it. There's talk it might turn up again in S2.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1209 on: 17 Nov 2021, 06:25 »

New Spiderman trailer:

Honestly I like the idea of maybe Doc Ock helping rather than just being another villain. We'll see though.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1210 on: 21 Nov 2021, 09:00 »

So what'd people think of What If? and Shang-Chi?

Me and my (Asian) gf watched Shangchi last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. My gf thought it was great with no filler scenes and loved seeing Asian superhero. I though it was very good, especially the supporting cast, although I found some of the flashback scenes to take out a bit of the pace, and I’m not 100% enthusiastic about the lead actor. I like him better than Brie Larson so there’s that.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1211 on: 21 Nov 2021, 17:56 »

I loved Shang-Chi and thought it was better than Black Widow

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #1212 on: 21 Nov 2021, 18:25 »

I thought Black Widow was... OK. They could have done more with it.

Which is also how I feel about Cruella. Seen about half of that movie (might watch the other half at some point), and it doesn't really seem like they utilized Emma Stone's talent terribly well.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1213 on: 21 Nov 2021, 20:19 »

Black Widow was enjoyable, but not mind-blowing, which is a perfectly acceptable thing for an action movie to be. There's this weird cultural mindset I have noticed has been developing recently where this are either totally Earth shattering or complete crap.

Shang-Chi was really good, on all fronts.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1214 on: 22 Nov 2021, 03:02 »

Oh yeah, I didn't think that Black Widow was bad, just that it was kind of a letdown. We finally get Black Widow in her own solo film after so long and it's just okay. Especially after Ragnarok, Black Panther, and Infinity War/Endgame.

In comparison Shang-Chi felt like a breath of fresh air, much in the way that Black Panther did

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1215 on: 22 Nov 2021, 09:57 »

To be fair, I tend to watch movies with no expectations so being let down isn't something I really experience with them. It would have been better if it had been released sooner, before her death, it would have had more of an emotional impact, higher stakes, and less pressure.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1216 on: 22 Nov 2021, 13:55 »

I think that you’re right about either having few expectations, or at least tempering them. I think that one of the reasons that the first Bauhaus reunion tour back in ‘98 blew my mind was that I kinda expected that it was just a bunch of ageing rockers trying to cash in. It was a brilliant show just on its own merits, but having low expectations seemed to somehow make it even better.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1217 on: 22 Nov 2021, 19:37 »

Yea, hype isn't really a thing I feel. Expectations are almost guaranteed to leave you disappointed, hell it's one of key tenants of Buddhist philosophy. I find it is better to just experience things as they happen and on their own terms.
@syleegrrl

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1218 on: 24 Nov 2021, 15:21 »

Shocked to find Hawkeye doesn't completely suck. I thought it was gonna be an even more cringe Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but they really nailed the vibe, and I think the apparent antagonist is gonna be pretty solid.

Shang-Chi was fun, probably the only decent fight choreography ever in a Marvel movie. Some real standout scenes even apart from that.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1219 on: 25 Nov 2021, 10:03 »

Hawkeye went with the look of the amazing Matt Fraction and David Aja run of comics and I love them for it. Also it seems to be less about Clint and more about Kate, which is good cause Jeremy Renner can't really carry anything.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1220 on: 01 Dec 2021, 12:53 »

For some reason I really like Jeremy Renner. I think it's because he used to be a makeup artist and has daughters and seems to love them a lot?

I've literally never seen him do good acting, though

And playing Hawkeye certainly didn't help that
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1221 on: 02 Jan 2022, 09:02 »

Spider-Man—No Way Home

Just a lot of fun, and only one really cringe-y scene. First movie I've seen at the cinema since before the pandemic, unless I'm misremembering. I was unaware of some pretty significant plot points going in, and I urge anyone thinking of seeing it to do everything in your power to avoid spoilers. This is one movie where spoilers really would have greatly reduced my enjoyment :o

Hawkeye went with the look of the amazing Matt Fraction and David Aja run of comics and I love them for it. Also it seems to be less about Clint and more about Kate, which is good cause Jeremy Renner can't really carry anything.

i dunno he really looks like he's been through some pretty arrowing stuff... and he sounds like he knows what he's talking abowt
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1222 on: 18 Jan 2022, 10:03 »

Watched Eternals over the weekend, and was quite disappointed. For me definitely at the bottom of the MCU list of movies together with the Hulk, Thor 2 and Iron Man 3.

Especially the pacing in the first half was weird and felt very choppy, and then they spend some 5 minutes on a pretty pointless romance segment with a weird gratuitous scene as well.
There were some interesting parts and themes in there, certainly, but overall I was underwhelmed and had a hard time caring for the characters. I do admit that the sheer number of eternals that had to be introduced in 1 movie  was pretty much impossible for the director, but I still think it could've done better.

Also, the first half hour especially felt more like a DC movie than MCU one. Take that as you want.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1223 on: 19 Jan 2022, 01:23 »

"This feels like a DC movie," is how I felt too, especially with all the characters. I wouldn't say it was bad, but Shangchi was definitely better.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1224 on: 20 Jan 2022, 21:05 »

Just watched it myself, and yeah, introducing all those characters and a *weird* concept that the vast majority of the audience has NO prior knowledge of (I'm in this group) is a big task. I think they did a good job considering all that. I enjoyed it as well, and feel invested in the characters enough to see what happens in a 2nd movie.

The underlying premise, though, is weird and weak enough to keep tossing you out of the immersion with doubts and questions, which is probably why a lot of people react poorly to a film that is otherwise well done.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1225 on: 24 Jul 2022, 12:02 »

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1226 on: 24 Jul 2022, 19:05 »

Here's the roadmap for the the next phase of Marvel movies

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1227 on: 12 Sep 2022, 08:04 »

Is it technically a spoiler? Maybe a little, but isn't that just like Madisynn? Seriously though, I would 100% watch an entire Madisynn and Wongers series.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Gyrre

« Reply #1228 on: 13 Sep 2022, 20:33 »

Here's the roadmap for the the next phase of Marvel movies

Echo? Like the dolphin?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #1229 on: 16 Sep 2022, 21:59 »

No, deaf former (presumably? I don't actually know her comic history) lackey we meet in Hawkeye. Not sure what her role is going to be, but the other big hook is that she's Native American and I presume she'll be bounced off Daredevil a lot. She's probably also a shoo-in for wherever they slot in the "young Avengers" team they're building.
Quis pater tibi est?

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1230 on: 20 Sep 2022, 04:03 »

She was an enemy to love of DareDevil in the comics and worked for Fisk in the past only to turn on him. Later she would wear the Ronin costume after Hawkeye. She is deaf in the comics and is able to feel pulses I believe sort of like DareDevil does with sound. So far she's appeared in the Hawkeye show and the last we saw her she and Fisk were having a stand off that ended with a gunshot.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1231 on: 29 Sep 2022, 10:18 »

Deadpool 3 trailer

(click to show/hide)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1232 on: 29 Sep 2022, 10:26 »

I’m looking forward to this one.  I was never a fan of the Deadpool comics, and TBH, the film is a triple fried egg chilli chutney sandwich, which, for people who aren’t familiar with Red Dwarf was a concoction where all of the parts are wrong, but it’s still really fucking good. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]   Go Up