THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Tattoos and other body mods  (Read 220398 times)

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: Tattoos and other body mods
« Reply #150 on: 01 Aug 2013, 15:04 »

Shannon had white ink tattoos, yes.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #151 on: 03 Aug 2013, 20:30 »

Another new piercing :D

what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #152 on: 03 Aug 2013, 21:41 »

I'm guessing the gum one? I can't imagine having the septum pierced that big.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #153 on: 03 Aug 2013, 22:10 »

Yup, it's called a smiley piercing. My septum was pierced at 10g (2.5mm) and is now 6g (4mm), and you're right, it couldn't be pierced at that size with a regular beveled needle. It can be "punched" with an o-needle or dermal punch, but that would remove skin.

But yeah I am loving the smiley. It's barely even sore. Eating should be interesting for a little while.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #154 on: 03 Aug 2013, 23:06 »

Re: Bear, he has the biggest stretched lobes but I wonder who has the biggest solid plugs in their ears.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #155 on: 04 Aug 2013, 00:30 »

Somewhere, someone is walking around with hubcaps.

I kind of like the white ink tattoos. Certainly a different look.
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2013, 00:36 by BeoPuppy »
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #156 on: 04 Aug 2013, 03:08 »

I really like the smiley with the septum. It's like a big brother and a baby piercing. :-D

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #157 on: 04 Aug 2013, 06:52 »

Not a fan.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #158 on: 04 Aug 2013, 07:30 »

I've never heard of a smiley before, but it's super cute. Now you have a little surprise when you smile!
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #159 on: 04 Aug 2013, 07:40 »

Exactly! I love that it's hidden until I choose to show it off. And I definitely love that, Welu. My ex said it reminds him of the Alien with the tiny head inside its mouth...? Apparently it was a compliment. Who knows.

Also, on Bear's ears, he probably has a set of solid plugs. I bet they're heavy as fuck, but I'm sure he has them.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #160 on: 04 Aug 2013, 09:34 »

I want more tattoos! Seriously this shit's addicting. The way things are going I'm gonna end up looking like an odd combo of a biker and a malay warrior.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #161 on: 04 Aug 2013, 09:39 »

How many do you have so far?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #162 on: 04 Aug 2013, 09:46 »

Four, they're mostly concealed for now, but I keep considering more....
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #163 on: 04 Aug 2013, 11:01 »

Great, now I'm imagining GM having a Prince Albert

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #164 on: 04 Aug 2013, 12:06 »

But that's not a tattoo... :psyduck:
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #165 on: 04 Aug 2013, 12:08 »

OH! He was talking about tattoos!

Maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #166 on: 04 Aug 2013, 12:57 »

Sometimes I wish I was totally covered in tattoos but I quickly chicken out of that idea. More because of the getting them than the having and showing them. Although I do have an idea for most of my forearm but I'll probably end up getting it on my upper arm.

ackblom12

« Reply #167 on: 04 Aug 2013, 14:07 »

I imagine Bear has a couple sets of solid plugs, but I'm not actually aware of anyone who wears wears them once you get to about the 3" mark. If they do, I imagine it would have to be a particularly light material such as teflon (I think it's lighter than most woods). That and they're likely worn in a manner similar to ear weights, which aren't supposed to be worn for more than a hour or two at a time.

Solid Plugs in the ultra large sizes are generally novelty purchases. They make amazing show pieces for stores as well due to the amount of detail they can be crafted with.

Edit: Also I like the smiley neko.
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2013, 14:33 by ackblom12 »

mtmerrick

« Reply #168 on: 04 Aug 2013, 14:20 »

that looks mighty uncomfortable, neko  :psyduck:

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #169 on: 04 Aug 2013, 21:21 »

It was super uncomfortable at first, because it felt like my lip was sticking out really far. But now that it's settled, it's only a little weird, and I'm getting more and more used to it.

The gross thing is that the bead sits right between my teeth, and of course my gums have conformed to it so I have a little indent right there. I move it every once in a while to make sure nothing gets stuck, though.

ackblom12

« Reply #170 on: 05 Aug 2013, 17:24 »

So, I was thinking about the talk earlier about some of the physical risks of stretched earlobes and I thought maybe I should bring the things that are real concerns for people with stretched lobes to get rid of some of the assumptions and give you new reasons to be horrified.

So, as mentioned before, catching your lobes on things isn't really a big concern for most. Clearly the larger you've stretched, the bigger the possibility, but as anyone with them can tell you, they basically become extensions of your mental self. You're pretty much always know where they are and they're not really at much risk. It happens, but outside of something like a car crash it's rare. Of course in those cases your ears are not really of much concern because they're not what's causing you to bleed out and die like your other injuries. The real problems tend to come from bad stretching practices and weather related conditions.

So, the most common issue with stretching poorly tends to be micro-tears and normal tearing of the earlobe's fistula (aka the skin tunnel in the piercing). These tears can not only lead to infection, but can also lead to hypertrophic scarring (which makes future stretching more difficult and can cause what's referred to as catbutt in piercings), blowouts (Example 2) (scar tissue that has stretched a bit out the back of the lobe), or even cartilage collapse. The general rule is to wait 1 - 3 months between stretches and never use acrylic, organics (such as wood) or silicone to stretch with. Acrylic and most organics are porous, so there's no way to properly sanitize them and wood tends to be a bit 'sticky', for lack of a better word. It kind of latches onto skin due to how porous it is. With healed ears, this is not an issue at all and actually does a good job of making them less likely to come out at inconvenient times. While stretching, it just increases your chance of tearing, harboring bacteria in the pores and getting an infection.

Silicone is a terrible thing to stretch with for a hell of a lot of reasons. Silicone eyelets are incredibly comfortable to wear, but they tend to draw the moisture out of the lobe pretty quickly so you have to have a pretty strict oiling regime to wear them regularly. There's also the issue that some poeple think they're clever and put the next size up in to stretch with. It sounds good on paper, but it's asking for problems. Almost guaranteed tearing, dryness, yada yada yada. Some people can pull it off, but there's always going to be someone who can heal just about anything stupid they try to do to their body.

The other big issue is something called 'thinning lobes'. This can happen when you stretch too quickly and the fistula and lobe doesn't have time to heal inbetween stretches, or even because of badly placed piercings. It's basically exactly like it sounds. A spot in the lobe is noticeably thinner than the rest, and when you stretch, it's the easiest place for the lobe to stretch, so it keeps getting a little bit thinner every time you go up a size until it's at a point where it can cause real problems. At the worst points it can snap or that area of the lobe can lose enough circulation that it goes necrotic. It's just the earlobe so it's not typically a major problem health wise, but it's incredibly gross and easily avoidable. No reason you should have to have your earlobe repaired or removed because you're an impatient jackass.

There's also a much rarer occurrence called Keloid scarring. Now, people will commonly call things like piercing bumps keloids, but they're wrong. Keloids are a type of scar tissue that has grown out of control, like here and here. There are much more extreme examples, but you get the idea. It's a type of scarring that is pretty rare in general, but is much more common in ethnicities with darker skin tones. They can only really be treated with surgical removal and/or steroids and aren't unique to piercings.

If you're careful, patient and make absolutely certain the jewelry you're using to stretch is the right size, and that it's good quality, there's not a lot of problems you should run into. Shit happens sometimes, but it's easily minimized. Now onto weather related issues!

This is something where it's mostly just those of us who have larger sized piercings need to worry about. Lobes are the biggest concern here, so I'll stick with them. Since the lobes have a much smaller surface area in any specific location after stretching, they tend to burn and freeze much easier than normal. The biggest concern for this is for those of us in a goddamn winter fuckery location. During the winter, we need to do several things to avoid possible frostbite on the lobes. These can include the normal stuff like wearing a hat or muffs that cover them (though our options are a lot more limited there) and wearing non-metal jewelry, preferably wood. Steel and Titanium jewelry runs a pretty big risk of getting damn cold and speeding up frostbite if you're not careful, so it's best to just not wear it during the cold season. Glass can also do so, but not quite as badly. Wood on the other hand, is a great insulator and will help keep your lobes warm. It's basically perfect for cold weather.

I think everyone here knows what can happen with frostbitten limbs, and it's no different for the earlobes. Once again, it's not likely to be a horrible life threatening experience because it's just your earlobes, but it's still pretty damn shitty.

So yeah, those are the real concerns with stretched piercings and lobes. It's pretty easy to avoid most of it, but things do happen and there are definitely stupid people out there.
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2013, 08:31 by ackblom12 »

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #171 on: 06 Aug 2013, 05:00 »

That was really informative. Thanks so much for writing it. Do you mind if I copy and paste that for future sharing?

kelpy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #172 on: 06 Aug 2013, 05:47 »

this is why I'm glad I'm only gonna get teeny tiny plugs/tunnels, around the 2 or 3mm mark. That way I don't have to be scared of accidentally overstretching, or getting stuff caught in it and if I want I can get flesh colored plugs and have it look natural. I've heard it said that your average piercer's limit is about 6ga, is this correct, or am I misinformed?

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #173 on: 06 Aug 2013, 06:50 »

Great info, thanks!! I'm completely fascinated by stretched lobes.

I'm thinking of attempting new piercings soon. I really want another tattoo, but it's just not in the cards bank account. Now......do I want to re-try the industrial, go for second holes in my lobes or do something less common? My ears are a bit wonky*, so it's hard for me to figure out what will look good/not get "angry". I loved my industrial, but when I got it done initially, the bar was incredibly awkward and pulled in a weird way. I don't know if it's because the piercer did something wrong or my ears are just not meant for that kind of piercing.

*After some Googling, it appears that I have a "prominent ear with no antihelix fold". Also- excuse the face paint haha, it's the only semi-decent photo of my ear that I have. :-P
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #174 on: 06 Aug 2013, 07:00 »

Could you get a better picture for us? We might be able to give you some ideas.

Industrials are a complex piercing, because you have a perfectly straight bar with not-perfectly-straight anatomy. They have to be very carefully marked and pierced. I'm guessing your piercer made a mistake there, though there's no way to know. Is there an APP-certified piercer in your area? This link will help you search:

http://www.safepiercing.org/locate-a-member/searchable-member-database/

I would trust these piercers above others, for sure. You can be reasonably sure that they know what they're doing, and will do their best to give you a piercing that will heal properly.

ackblom12

« Reply #175 on: 06 Aug 2013, 07:34 »

That was really informative. Thanks so much for writing it. Do you mind if I copy and paste that for future sharing?

Sure, I got no problem with that. It's a bit messy and I think it's pretty clear that writing isn't my strong point though. :P

this is why I'm glad I'm only gonna get teeny tiny plugs/tunnels, around the 2 or 3mm mark. That way I don't have to be scared of accidentally overstretching, or getting stuff caught in it and if I want I can get flesh colored plugs and have it look natural. I've heard it said that your average piercer's limit is about 6ga, is this correct, or am I misinformed?

Yup, 6g (4mm) is typically the largest they'll pierce at. I will warn you that once you've had them for a little while you might suddenly notice how tiny they look and if you only went a liiiittle bit bigger you can get more intricate and pretty jewelry! And then you suddenly realize you're at 1".

Industrial things

Along with what Neko said, some piercers actually prefer to pierce the two locations with separate jewelry to minimize irritation and migration during the healing process. It means you don't get to have the industrial look for a while, but if you're willing to do so it might help. I do think I'll disagree a little with trusting APP certified piercers above others, but it's certainly not a bad thing to use as a requirement. There are a lot of great piercers who don't get APP membership for various reasons, but it helps to know folks who know their shit to point you their way.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #176 on: 06 Aug 2013, 07:47 »

Ugh, there isn't anyone within 50 miles of me! Funny thing is that one of the closest is in Northampton :-P Road trip!!

I'll try and sneak away from my desk to take a better photo.  :-)

(edited to add that I want these so bad. For whatever reason, they popped up in image search results for "ear piercing diagram")
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2013, 08:11 by lepetitfromage »

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #177 on: 06 Aug 2013, 07:54 »

That is my personal opinion - I can understand why others may not feel the same way. But you may be able to call one of those ceritifed piercers and get a recommendation for a place closer to you.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #178 on: 06 Aug 2013, 12:54 »

Wrt size of ear: I'm quite happy with 0g. Theres a huge amount of jewelry I can get and they are large enough that people know they're stretched but small enough that if I put in flesh tone plugs it just looks like I've got long lobes.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #179 on: 06 Aug 2013, 13:24 »

I had them stretched to 6g (4mm) with steel plugs in college, then let them shrink and now you can barely see anything. Part of me wants to repierce them, and if I did that, I'd probably get them pierced at 6g and maybe go up to 2 or maybe 0 eventually, and if flesh tone plugs work well enough to work with, I just might.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #180 on: 06 Aug 2013, 13:27 »

I do kind of miss being at a small size. Jewelry is so much more expensive now. But I love my bigguns.

MoM, your ears may still be open, and just small. And I've been told that large beveled needles can cause unnecessary trauma to the piercing. So you might want an "o needle", which will remove tissue, but would be easier to heal and also remove the scar tissue from the old piercing.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #181 on: 06 Aug 2013, 14:05 »

Left ear. Right ear. Left ear was pierced at 18 and gradually raised to 6 (18 to 14 to 12 to 10 to 8 to 6). The right ear was pierced at 8 soon after the left ear was stretched to 8, and was stretched to 6 when the left ear was. I took them both out after a few weeks at six and they shrunk to their current size rather quickly. I find it kind of interesting that the right piercing is almost invisible, despite being pierced at the higher size. Then again, maybe it's because it was only pierced for a couple months as opposed to a year or so.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #182 on: 06 Aug 2013, 14:10 »

It wouldn't surprise me at all if you can still get an 18g earring in at least the left ear. The right ear is less likely.

And you can more easily see the one that was pierced at a small size because there is more scar tissue. The other ear was only stretched once, and developed very little scar tissue.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #183 on: 06 Aug 2013, 14:16 »

The left ear is misleading because as far as I can tell it's completely closed in the back (so if you put something through, it wouldn't be able to come through). Would it be unwise to repierce it, though?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #184 on: 06 Aug 2013, 21:12 »

Speaking of interesting larger gauge jewelry...

Glass lifesaver plugs

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #185 on: 07 Aug 2013, 00:54 »

Somewhere in the next two months I'll be payed out the overtime I'm currently building up. That means that I'll have a relatively huge chunk of money that I don't need for living expenses, so I'd finally have the money for my first tattoo.
Problem is, I still can't decide on a motive. I'd like something unique and with some meaning, but my creativity as been on an all-year low recently.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #186 on: 07 Aug 2013, 06:53 »

(click to show/hide)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #187 on: 07 Aug 2013, 08:25 »

The left ear is misleading because as far as I can tell it's completely closed in the back (so if you put something through, it wouldn't be able to come through). Would it be unwise to repierce it, though?

I don't see why you couldn't get it re-pierced. You might want to see a piercer about it though, they can get a better look at it.

re lifesavers: they are gorgeous but I still have no idea how they look in-ear. I can't tell if I'd like them or not.
I should be receiving plugs like these (Modifika Smoke Chokes) in the mail shortly :D

ChaoSera: What has meaning for you? What do you want to commemorate? Or, what do you think looks good? If you can come up with an idea, someone else can help you come up with an image.

And little cheese: it looks like you have a really nice ridge at the top there. You could do all sorts of interesting things with it. You could do the basic industrial again for sure, or get something like this:

It would still be awesome with just one bar. If you can find a piercer that will custom-bend jewelry, you can get a shape that you design yourself. As long as your ear can handle it, that is.

ackblom12

« Reply #188 on: 09 Aug 2013, 00:23 »

Those Smoke Chokes are gorgeous!

This video isn't entirely related to Body Mods, but I'd argue it's Body Ritual, so it's going here.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #189 on: 09 Aug 2013, 06:34 »

Oh gosh wait until you see the ones I got. I'm in love. I can't wait to wear them.

ackblom12

« Reply #190 on: 10 Aug 2013, 04:18 »

Looks like Wisconsin has outright banned Subdermal Implants, Microdermals, Scalpel Scarification and Tongue Splits, as well as making Laser Tattoo Removal illegal unless under the supervision of a licensed physician.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #191 on: 10 Aug 2013, 05:25 »

There's always the hazard of infection when you break the skin, but this sounds like outright territorialism. 

Do you think this was pushed through by the medical community, or just some offended/scared legislators? 

Maybe a coalition...

After all, so long as the board of health ensures sterile protocols are used, the risk of infection's less than in a hospital...

Which isn't saying much, actually.  Where do you think things like MRSA developed?
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ackblom12

« Reply #192 on: 10 Aug 2013, 05:39 »

I'm assuming it was legislators who are offended by such things or just needed something that would be easy to pass with their name on it. I'm thinking I might look into it in the next few days to see if there was any news about it, but, I'm not going to discount the medical community's possible part in this. To be frank, the medical community is about as ignorant and reactionary to body modification as you can get outside of political entities. I've been told a number of times by doctors to get antibiotics for a fresh piercing because it was mildly red.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #193 on: 10 Aug 2013, 06:30 »

Right, because every medical practitioner knows irritation = infection. 

(click to show/hide)
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #194 on: 20 Aug 2013, 07:01 »

Thought of this thread today.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #195 on: 21 Aug 2013, 17:34 »

Oh my god, you guys. Stretching cartilage is awful. I just went from 8g to 6g (3mm to 4mm) with a well-healed, loosened piercing and it stings so much. It's calming down but jeez I don't see myself taking this too much further.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #196 on: 21 Aug 2013, 17:37 »

Does anyone know a good and affordable tattoo artist in the Boston area? (The closer to Concord, NH the better, but Boston's not out of the question)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #197 on: 23 Aug 2013, 04:43 »

Arkansas has banned certain forms of tattoo and piercing, because.... there's no good reason actually.

http://politicalblindspot.com/bill-to-ban-certain-tattoos-body-piercings-passes-senate/

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #198 on: 23 Aug 2013, 07:57 »

A ban on 'non-traditional' tattoos?

So, you can get an anchor or a ship or complete japanese body suit but not a misspelled Twilight quote? Or something?

My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #199 on: 23 Aug 2013, 08:21 »

That's actually outdated and it was never passed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20   Go Up