THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Tattoos and other body mods  (Read 220540 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: Tattoos and other body mods
« Reply #700 on: 01 Jul 2014, 15:08 »

In the UK, you can get your ears pierced at some jewellers' shops, and at Claire's Accessories, and of course at piercing parlors but I don't know much about those. I got mine done at Claire's and it was fine - everything sterile and done properly. They have to do it right because they get so many kids in; parents would kick up a royal fuss if anything went wrong.

I think first earrings are always gold, but I could be wrong. You should have it done with a needle if you're having cartilage pierced; if it's the soft part of the lobe then a piercing gun is fine. [Edit: Neko posted before me and disagrees - she has far more experience here so go with her advice. I had no problems though.]

As for price, Claire's do it fairly cheaply - basically they charge you for the earrings and ear care cleaning stuff, and do the piercing free. I know there's a Claire's local to you in the UK but I don't know personally of anywhere else you could go.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #701 on: 01 Jul 2014, 15:13 »

Piercing guns are almost always plastic, and cannot be fully sterilized. So the guns themselves are dangerous. Then, they use the little earrings that are sharp at the back. These are too short for proper healing, and are not nearly as sharp as a good, hollow needle. So while many people have gotten pierced with guns and they've been fine, it is not at all something I would suggest.

The other problem I have with shops like Claire's is that the person doing the piercing is almost never truly trained in the safety and cleanliness precautions needed for piercings. They're usually just some teenage kid that was told to mark and stab.

That said, quality gold or silver can certainly be used for initial piercings.

Oh, and their ear cleaning solution is useless, and it goes bad pretty quickly, unless they've changed formulas recently. They also tell you to rotate your jewelry, something you should not be doing intentionally. I much prefer saline solution (or just salt water) and the LITHA method.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #702 on: 01 Jul 2014, 16:02 »

Wow, thanks a lot for the really long and informative answer, Neko! This is a lot of information that I will be sure to keep at hand.
I actually just want a flesh piercing for now, not cartilage.
I am in Baden-Württemberg right now and several more times over the next two months. Very good cities for me to get the piercing done would be Mannheim, Ludwigshafen, Heidelberg, and I could probably also reach Frankfurt and Karlsruhe. When I'm with my parents, Hamburg is really good - this might actually be the easiest overall. Maybe you know anyone good in any of these?
I just remembered earlier that a friend had a tattoo done in the same city where I am now and she chose the shop really carefully. Do you think if they do tatoos properly, they'll be ok with piercings, too? Or are those too different to say that? Anyway, I might have a look at that shop.
Now, about the piercing touching other stuff - I guess you can just not sleep on the side the piercing is on, right? I should consider that when choosing the side...
And I should make sure to do it a while before my volleyball season starts again - even though the first piercing is probably rather small, being near a volleyball net with anything that could become entangled in it is probably not a good idea. I know people who cover their (healed) piercings with tape if they don't want to take them out, but that's definitely not sterile.

Thanks for your answer, too, Barmymoo! Considering how worried I am about infections, I think I'll follow Neko's advice and do it in a real piercing studio with a needle. It will be a birthday + getting my master's degree present for myself, so it's ok if it's slightly more expensive.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #703 on: 02 Jul 2014, 06:13 »

- I absolutely think you should go to a studio. Piercing with a gun is not only unsanitary, it can cause far more pain than necessary, cause a lot of scar tissue, and it is more likely to become infected, especially with the jewelry they use.

I will second this, as someone who once got a piercing gun stuck on them.  :psyduck:
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #704 on: 02 Jul 2014, 07:59 »

If a shop does tattoos safely, then I think they are worth checking out for piercings. I have asked my friends about piercers in Germany, so I will get back to you when someone answers. The only thing I found through the APP (association of professional piercers) in Germany was this site: http://www.bmxnet.org/ and I can't read most of it. But it may be worth checking out.

It will be in your best interest not to sleep on the new piercing for a little while, yes. It will be painful, and could introduce bacteria to the wound. But there are neck pillows, the C shaped kind, that are great for this, because your ear can go in the middle. Or you can just sleep on the other side for the first couple of weeks. Once it is no longer painful to sleep on it, you should be okay. If you're worried, just put a clean towel or t-shirt or something you can change easily over your pillow and sleep on that.

Since it is just through flesh, you will likely be getting a small size. If they use a ring, it is very unlikely to get caught on anything. A barbell has a higher chance of getting caught, but the two round beads should make it easy to untangle from most things. So you'll probably be fine with volleyball. Tape is definitely an option, but you are correct, it's not going to be clean enough for the piercing for a while.

The thing with piercings is that you're 1) making a fresh, open wound and 2) trying to convince your body to accept a piece of metal. Healing a piercing wound already takes time, as it needs to heal inside and out. Then you're adding metal that your skin thinks shouldn't be there. So your body needs time and rest to heal it properly. So I try to get pierced when I'm not going to be doing much, like excessive exercise or taking a new medicine. I want my body to concentrate on healing that piercing as quickly as it can.

You can still get pierced even before those things, it will just take a little longer to heal. So I just try to make it as easy as possible for my body.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #705 on: 02 Jul 2014, 09:52 »

Based on person experience, just because a place does tattoos well it does not mean their piercing is great. While one place might offer both services, here the piercer generally just has a space in the same building. Also UK/Ireland is for the most part bad for using outdated info and techniques. Even just getting titanium or steel jewellery like a Neko talked about is a pain in the arse.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #706 on: 02 Jul 2014, 10:20 »

Oh yeah, there's certainly no guarantee that a good tattoo artist works with a good piercer. But I do think it's worth asking around. You want to ask about cleanliness, jewelry, and how they suggest you heal a new piercing. That will tell you if they're decent or not.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #707 on: 02 Jul 2014, 15:58 »

I have had my ears pierced twice, once when I was younger and once as an adult.

The first time was when I was a kid, in a jewelry shop, and they pierced with a gun. I had "gold" studs put in. I think I typically cleaned my piercings with hydrogen peroxide because that's what my mom said to do. Not only did it hurt like hell, but I constantly got infections and one of my ears never healed properly. I ended up taking them out and letting them close back up. Later I found out I'm allergic to nickel (common in cheap jewelry) and very sensitive to other metals.

The second time I got pierced in a tattoo and piercing shop by a very professional piercer. I got pierced at 10g with a needle and had glass plugs put in. Not much pain and no infections! I used saline solution to soak my piercings and it worked very well. I've never had any issues with my piercings (other than I found out I have a sensitivity to black o-rings).

So based on personal experience and from listening to people here who have lots of experience with piercing, I would highly recommend following Neko's advice.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #708 on: 02 Jul 2014, 16:16 »

Apparently a lot of people have issues with the black (nitrile) o-rings. I always have to use silicone o-rings, or my piercings get red and itchy and unhappy.

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #709 on: 02 Jul 2014, 20:55 »

Eeeeee got another tattoo appointment scheduled for tomorrow evening! Getting a devil to match the angel ^^

Papersatan

« Reply #710 on: 02 Jul 2014, 23:25 »

jumping in to be on the "Listen to Neko" wagon.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #711 on: 03 Jul 2014, 01:37 »

Welp, I know nothing about piercings!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #712 on: 03 Jul 2014, 01:56 »

Pretty much, May! But that's OK, you know a shitload about other important stuff!

Just going to echo what Neko has said. She knows her stuff.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #713 on: 03 Jul 2014, 02:00 »

Just to weigh in on the sleeping thing, when I got my ear pierced I took to sleeping with my head on my arm, but in such a way that my arm basically formed a U and my ear was free in the middle. So basically a U-shaped pillow that I didn't have to buy.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #714 on: 03 Jul 2014, 04:06 »

Thanks to Neko's post, that's no longer true! :roll:
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #715 on: 03 Jul 2014, 04:51 »

Yeah never ever EVER get anything pierced anywhere but a professional studio. I had my ears pierced at a hairdresser (that's normal in Norway, and I was 12 so I didn't know any better), they used a gun and jeez. The hole in my right ear is so wonky and crooked I can't find the exit for it when I try putting a new earring in, and I often end up fiddling too much and it starts bleeding. When I take out the earring after wearing it for a day, it's all crusty and gross. After 13 years of having my ears pierced, this still happens! I hardly ever wear earrings because of it.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #716 on: 03 Jul 2014, 05:53 »

I guess I was lucky then, I've never had any problems at all with my ears. Except that sometimes I go for more than a year without wearing earrings and then it's tricky to get them through again...

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #717 on: 03 Jul 2014, 06:21 »

That's okay, May; the majority of people still think it's okay to get pierced with a gun, and need a lot of convincing to realize that it isn't. It's just something that everyone does. And yes, many people do just fine. But the complications far outweigh those involved with using a needle instead, at least, when it's handled by a professional.

Flesh piercings close up a lot easier and faster than cartilage piercings. When you get pierced, and it heals, there is sort of a tube of scar tissue - the fistula - that holds the piercing open. The more scar tissue there is, the more difficult for the piercing to fully close. Which is why stretched piercings rarely close up completely. But it explains why many people with gun pierced ears can leave their jewelry out for so long, and still get it in months later; there is more scar tissue.

If I left out any of my piercings for more than an hour or so, stretched or not, most would close up enough that I couldn't put my current jewelry back in again. The only exception to that is my earlobes, because I have stretched them so much, and for so long.

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #718 on: 03 Jul 2014, 17:36 »

^_^

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #719 on: 03 Jul 2014, 20:10 »

Nice.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #720 on: 04 Jul 2014, 04:13 »

Wow, now I also read everyone else's answers on the ear piercing issue!
Thanks for all helpful things!
I will check out the website you linked, Neko!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #721 on: 04 Jul 2014, 16:55 »

so I think I have the rest of my tattoos planned out.

I know I'm getting my Adeptus Mechanicus  gunsmith tattoo on my right shoulder and I might turn that into a full sleeve or a half sleeve with armor and mechanical elements. On the left side I want to do a half sleeve of a Celtic tribal piece blending into the triqueta, I already have. Then on the left leg I want to complete my grieves with armor and more not work and perhaps a large Mjolnir.

Then on the right calf I want to do a large nerd pride tattoo with a blend of symbols from various games, movies, anime, comics, and other properties I like.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #722 on: 16 Jul 2014, 14:27 »

I DID IT!
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #723 on: 16 Jul 2014, 14:43 »

Bought a purple cushion? :mrgreen:
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #724 on: 16 Jul 2014, 14:58 »

... I always knew I'd post here when I got my first tattoo, and 4 years or so later, it came to me... So here I am. Hi. =]

Congrats! Also welcome back!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #725 on: 16 Jul 2014, 19:43 »

What do the numbers refer to?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #726 on: 17 Jul 2014, 01:13 »

Maybe they rank the best tasting parts of the pig  :mrgreen:

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #727 on: 17 Jul 2014, 01:24 »

Yay! Tattoo for MrBlu!

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #728 on: 17 Jul 2014, 21:49 »

What do the numbers refer to?
The numbers identify to the different cuts of pork. From 1 - 6; Ham, loin, ribs, butt (shoulder), leg, belly (or BACON).

Additionally, I've added a Jamaican touch to the chart by labeling the tail "(7)". Pigs tail is pretty popular here and is a staple in stew peas. =]
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #729 on: 19 Jul 2014, 17:24 »

New piercings!!

Papersatan

« Reply #730 on: 19 Jul 2014, 20:32 »

looking good!

Also, on nipple piercing in the 1890's

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #731 on: 30 Jul 2014, 04:28 »

I've been thinking about my first tattoo.  Specifically, I'm thinking about getting my family coat of arms done on my forearm, but I'm old enough that I've gone through a few cycles of not being excited about stuff I used to be really into, so I'm hesitant to get a tattoo.  Seems kinda permanent.  Besides, the family motto is religious, and I'm atheist. 

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #732 on: 30 Jul 2014, 05:54 »

The motto's religious, but that doesn't really matter to you, the personal meaning of it being your family motto is what matters. I'd think on it for a couple weeks then decide. I'd also recommend getting it somewhere besides your forearm like your shoulder.

One of my girlfriends is a tattoo artist, and she needs work time, so she's offered to start drawing stuff up for me. Basically whatever I want, and I only have to kick in for supplies now and then.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #733 on: 30 Jul 2014, 07:07 »

You don't need to make a decision any time soon. You can think about it indefinitely if you want.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #734 on: 30 Jul 2014, 07:14 »

Any advice for someone thinking about a first tattoo?  I know it's gonna hurt like fuck, but I can't imagine it hurting worse than what I'm already used to. 

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #735 on: 30 Jul 2014, 07:16 »

It's like someone pinching you with long nails. It's not getting licked by a kitten (as my tattoo artist says) but it's really not that bad. And if it gets to be too much for you, then you can take a break. Usually, the more you have done in one sitting, the more your body floods you with endorphins to make it hurt less. But everyone has a breaking point, and you just need to be vocal about yours. The artist will understand.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #736 on: 30 Jul 2014, 10:22 »

Any advice for someone thinking about a first tattoo?  I know it's gonna hurt like fuck, but I can't imagine it hurting worse than what I'm already used to.
The pain can depend on where it is.  When I got mine (upper-arm), it just felt like someone snapping me quite rapidly with a rubber band.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #737 on: 30 Jul 2014, 11:04 »

Generally, the more fat you have between your skin and your bone, the more tolerable it will be. But some places it doesn't matter. Here's a chart that seems to be fairly accurate:

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #738 on: 30 Jul 2014, 11:22 »

Well, that explains tramp stamps.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #739 on: 30 Jul 2014, 11:41 »

Tattoo time also matters for that, for example my calf piece didn't hurt much... till about four and a half hours in, and I nearly passed out from pain the last half hour of the total six.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #740 on: 30 Jul 2014, 12:16 »

On the other end of tattoo time, the tattoo on the front of my shoulder only took ten minutes but when it got close to the collarbone it bloody well hurt. Easily one of the most painful things I've ever gone through but it was also short and my tattoo artist was lovely which helped a lot. Also since it was a small design and didn't take long, I never even reached the point where my body could kick in the endorphins.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #741 on: 30 Jul 2014, 12:21 »

Anything close to the collar bone is gonna be a bad time...

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #742 on: 30 Jul 2014, 12:54 »

Yep. At least it wasn't directly on it.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #743 on: 30 Jul 2014, 12:55 »

That said I would love to have tattoos there if I could take getting them.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #744 on: 30 Jul 2014, 18:08 »

Generally, the more fat you have between your skin and your bone, the more tolerable it will be. But some places it doesn't matter. Here's a chart that seems to be fairly accurate:

That is actually a very handy diagram.  Thanks.

Papersatan

« Reply #745 on: 30 Jul 2014, 20:08 »

Well, that explains tramp stamps.

yeah? Your suggesting that women who get their lower back tattoed are judged as 'trampy' because it hurts to get tattooed there more than it hurts to get tattooed on traditional 'first tattoo' locations for men (the outer bicep and outer calf)?

seriously though, can we stop using the phrase 'tramp stamp'

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #746 on: 30 Jul 2014, 20:58 »

Isn't a lower back tattoo called that regardless of gender?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #747 on: 30 Jul 2014, 21:13 »

I know I called it a tramp stamp when making fun of my old wingman Jason when he got one.  It was tribal, too.  But I guess verbal abuse was always a major part of the social dynamic in our group, so I don't know if that counts. 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #748 on: 30 Jul 2014, 21:27 »

Who gets a tribal tramp stamp? :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #749 on: 30 Jul 2014, 21:29 »

This guy named Jason, apparently.  It wasn't even the 90's, which is where most bad decisions live. 
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20   Go Up