THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 18:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Why did Faye's dad kill himself?  (Read 27890 times)

Eddie 88

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Piano reference, not Hitler reference.
Why did Faye's dad kill himself?
« on: 08 Jun 2013, 08:25 »

I Searched and couldn't find a recent topic specifically about this. Also, disclaimer: I haven't been actively reading QC for over a year, so if there's been any recent developments that invalidate anything I'm about to say, apologies in advance. I'm currently working my way from the first comic all the way back up to current, so it won't be TOO long.

Anyway, when I first started reading QC years ago and first got to The Talk, I got this weird sort of vibe. Reading through the archive a few years later, I got it again, and just the other day, archive crawling again, I got it again. The Bourbon-in-the-milkshake, Amanda's jealousy, Faye's completely rose-tinted memories. Long story short, I think the reason Faye's dad killed himself was that he was sexually abusing Faye, and was remorseful. He was far too disgusted with himself and ashamed to admit it to anyone (certainly his wife) and try to work through the problem, but on the other hand, he couldn't just stop. In that hopeless situation, he saw only one way out.

And obviously, this theory implies that Faye is repressing her memories. All she remembers is their secret alone time, their "special connection," sans the sexual violation it entailed.

This would explain why Faye has(/had) such intense sexual dysfunction. Because if you think about it, parental suicide shouldn't logically lead to sexual problems. Generic trust issues, yeah, but Faye never really had those; hell, QC starts off with her approaching some random boy and pressganging him into friendship. And verbal sparring aside, she started trusting Dora really quickly, and pretty much every new character since.

One could argue that's either because A) she made a lot of progress really quickly or B) Jeph didn't feel it would be a good authorial choice to have Faye have to be defensive with every single new character he introduces (especially since he introduces a lot of 'em) and then slowly learn to trust them just to portray her character consistantly.

So yeah, Faye's central psychosis has always been sexual intimacy issues. And it doesn't seem like those would logically follow a parental suicide.

So what do you think? Am I way off-base? Did anyone else get this sort of impression from the whole Faye's dad backstory thing? Have there been any recent developments that invalidate any of this? (Don't worry about "spoiling" me if there have been.)
There! Now no one will forget how I live, or my attitude regarding butt.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
Re: Why did Faye's dad kill himself?
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jun 2013, 08:35 »

Faye has sexual intimacy issues? Since when?
Hella trust issues specifically centred around the people in her life leaving her, but she's never had a problem with intercourse.
You will notice that Angus deciding a fifteen minute boob fondling was a better use of her break time than anything else didn't faze her, but the slightest hint of him moving away completely discombobulated her.

So yes I think you are way off base.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #2 on: 08 Jun 2013, 09:35 »

Faye doesn't act like a victim of childhood sexual abuse. I've known a few women who were sexually abused as children or teenagers, and in some ways they tend to act more like Hannelore than Faye - they often get extremely freaked out by even a little bit of friendly physical contact. And that's all I'm going to say on the subject for now.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jun 2013, 09:38 »

"Abandonment issues" might be more precise. Fear of emotional closeness was I think why she jumped Sven, thinking that she could use him as a human vibrator without risking emotional attachment (not that it worked).

On the other hand, her response to the prospect of someone being sexually attracted to her even secretly was disproportionate.

In my irrelevant opinion, it's better art if we never find out why David Whitaker shot himself.

Quote from: Zebediah, who red-texted me
they often get extremely freaked out by even a little bit of friendly physical contact.

Was there a case where Faye even allowed a little bit of friendly physical contact from Marten while sober?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jun 2013, 09:44 »

There was the time he slapped her butt.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #5 on: 08 Jun 2013, 10:00 »

Was there a case where Faye even allowed a little bit of friendly physical contact from Marten while sober?

Tthree times, when Faye was miserable:  when he hugged her outside CoD, but lost the chance to do it again! During the Talk (thanks ThomasEll), and shortly before the breakup.
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2013, 12:11 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ThomasEll

• Plantmonster
« Reply #6 on: 08 Jun 2013, 10:24 »

She did punch him for it though I'm fairly sure.

The one time that I can definitely think of is when he hugged her just after she told him about her dad.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jun 2013, 13:17 »

Have there been any recent developments that invalidate any of this? (Don't worry about "spoiling" me if there have been.)

Nope. The most recent time this was discussed was in a situation involving Faye and Angus, but it did not shed any new light on anything.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #8 on: 08 Jun 2013, 13:30 »

I had the same thought as Eddie on first reading The Talk, and in my naivete and before discovering the forum might even have asked Jeph (no answer that I recall). What reinforced the thought was the top panel here, and the looks from mom and sis.

But later, I decided I'd read too much into that. And I agree with IICIH, that it's better and better art not to know.

Eddie 88

« Reply #9 on: 08 Jun 2013, 13:53 »

Faye doesn't act like a victim of childhood sexual abuse. I've known a few women who were sexually abused as children or teenagers, and in some ways they tend to act more like Hannelore than Faye - they often get extremely freaked out by even a little bit of friendly physical contact. And that's all I'm going to say on the subject for now.
Well, how a real person might behave after sexual abuse has no bearing on how a fictional character might; it depends purely on what the author knows. Jeph might just not know how a sexual abuse victim would act.

"Abandonment issues" might be more precise. Fear of emotional closeness was I think why she jumped Sven, thinking that she could use him as a human vibrator without risking emotional attachment (not that it worked).

On the other hand, her response to the prospect of someone being sexually attracted to her even secretly was disproportionate.

In my irrelevant opinion, it's better art if we never find out why David Whitaker shot himself.
Absolutely, I agree 100%. Plus, it's more true-to-life. Although it's not common, sometimes people do commit suicide without having shown any signs of distress and without leaving any kind of note. For their loved ones, there's never any grand reveal, there's never any closure. For Jeph to hand The Truth to us from on-high would cheapen the emotional and character importance of the event.

That said, I'd still like to know more about Faye's dad, if only to fuel our speculatin'.

Tthree times, when Faye was miserable:  when he hugged her outside CoD, but lost the chance to do it again! During the Talk (thanks ThomasEll), and shortly before the breakup.
I'd say misery counts as a compromised mental state. She doesn't let people touch her (even, say, Dora) when sober and happy, only when drunk and/or miserable. Also, a hug isn't necessarily sexual.

She did punch him for it though I'm fairly sure.
Yeah, I just read that one. She decked him clean to the floor. Although I wouldn't necessarily say a lady clobbering a guy who slapped her butt is evidence of sexual problems. I mean, I know I would never in a million years slap any of my ladyfriends' butts. Granted, I myself have issues, but still. Someone slaps your butt, I say you're well within your rights to...well, certainly not visit cartoonish violence on them, but this is a webcomic, after all.

(Note to Self: Webcomic After All would make a good Deathmole/Daft Punk mashup.)

Have there been any recent developments that invalidate any of this? (Don't worry about "spoiling" me if there have been.)

Nope. The most recent time this was discussed was in a situation involving Faye and Angus, but it did not shed any new light on anything.
Ah, okay. Thanks.

I had the same thought as Eddie on first reading The Talk, and in my naivete and before discovering the forum might even have asked Jeph (no answer that I recall). What reinforced the thought was the top panel here, and the looks from mom and sis.

But later, I decided I'd read too much into that. And I agree with IICIH, that it's better and better art not to know.
I didn't and don't think that particular panel meant or means anything. Amanda's just being jerky to Faye like always, and Mrs. Whitaker's scowling her disapproval at Amanda, not Faye/David. It's not any one thing that I can point towards and say "see? evidence!" It's just an overall feeling I get from the whole situation.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jun 2013, 14:17 »

On the other hand there's the outright fear of Marten that she had even after long experience with him: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=453
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #11 on: 08 Jun 2013, 14:56 »

Well, how a real person might behave after sexual abuse has no bearing on how a fictional character might; it depends purely on what the author knows. Jeph might just not know how a sexual abuse victim would act.

Maybe not, but Jeph is notorious for doing his homework on this kind of thing.

Besides, arguing that Faye suffered sexual abuse because you think that she acts how you imagine Jeph imagines a sexually abused person would act is kind of a stretch.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #12 on: 08 Jun 2013, 14:58 »

I can kinda see where you are coming from, but my opinion is "no. just no."

From the story point of view, I just don't see any reliable indication that might have been the case. Yes, he had issues, and he was pretty close with Faye, but jeez. Does that automatically mean that he molested her?

This part about the argumentation bothers me the most:

This basically gives way to ignoring all evidence to the contrary because you can counter it with "well, maybe Jeph doesn't know that". And in this case, absence of evidence is evidence of absence. I think Zebediah voiced my argument better than me while I was typing.

From an audience point of view, I cannot see Jeph giving Faye such a troubled past. I still wish we had Word Of God on this, though.

Eddie 88

« Reply #13 on: 08 Jun 2013, 15:40 »

On the other hand there's the outright fear of Marten that she had even after long experience with him: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=453
I wouldn't frame that as fear of Marten, just irrational fear that happens to be manifesting itself as the ludicrous proposition of being sexually assaulted by Marten. Which does seem like sexual dysfunction. Her fearing that Marten would abandon her if his mom didn't like her would be Faye exhibiting the trust issues one might expect from a child whose parent committed suicide. It makes no sense whatsoever that she'd worry about sexual violation in the aftermath of parental suicide, though.

Maybe not, but Jeph is notorious for doing his homework on this kind of thing.

Besides, arguing that Faye suffered sexual abuse because you think that she acts how you imagine Jeph imagines a sexually abused person would act is kind of a stretch.
Well, that's not my argument though; that was just me deflecting the notion that my argument is invalid because real people in real life don't act that way after sexual abuse. I actually don't really have an "argument," it's just the overall impression that I got.

I can kinda see where you are coming from, but my opinion is "no. just no."

From the story point of view, I just don't see any reliable indication that might have been the case. Yes, he had issues, and he was pretty close with Faye, but jeez. Does that automatically mean that he molested her?
Not automatically, no, it's just the impression I got from this particular situation. Honestly, as the child of one alcoholic non-entity parent and one physically abusive parent, I really, really envy people who have super-close relationships with their parents. If I was ever so lucky as to get married, and have children of my own, my only hope could be to be as close to them as Faye and her dad were (assuming no abuse, which is probably correct, but it's still fun to speculate).

This part about the argumentation bothers me the most:

This basically gives way to ignoring all evidence to the contrary because you can counter it with "well, maybe Jeph doesn't know that". And in this case, absence of evidence is evidence of absence. I think Zebediah voiced my argument better than me while I was typing.

From an audience point of view, I cannot see Jeph giving Faye such a troubled past. I still wish we had Word Of God on this, though.
Yeah, 'cause Jeph totally hates interjecting drama into his characters pasts :p

I do definitely want Word of God eventually, though, but not until the comic is finished.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #14 on: 08 Jun 2013, 15:47 »

When he last mentioned the matter, Jeph had no plan to end the comic at any time.

But if you want, ask the question on his Tumblr - Jeph makes regular posts of answers there, and might well simply say "no" if he knows that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheEvilDog

« Reply #15 on: 08 Jun 2013, 15:56 »

Why would Mr. Whitaker kill himself?

Certainly wasn't physical health problems, the medical examiner proved that.

Certainly wasn't financial trouble, it would have come up when Faye told Marten about what happened, and when she visited her mother and sister. If it was for the insurance money, than that was a complete screw-up of a plan because insurance companies will not pay out on suicide.

Certainly wasn't unemployment because that would have come up as well.

Certainly wasn't to escape an abusive relationship or environment, because as much as Faye's mother may have disapproved of Faye's father adding bourbon to his milkshake, its quite apparent from what we've see, Faye's father deeply loved his family. And it's shown afterwards by Faye's mother commenting on the headstone.

Was it stress? Or grief? Depression? Was Mr. Whitaker actually an believer that all life was absurd and that there was no point in living? Or was he told he had Parkinson's or early onset Alzheimer's and decided that rather than letting his family see him fade away a little bit everyday, he would get up, watch the sun rise and pull the trigger.

Who knows. Because we don't. All we can do is speculate until Jeph decides what happened. And to be honest, I can tell you that isn't going to happen, ever. People rarely have a reason as to why they commit suicide; its often a case that it happens and then you have family and fiends left behind trying to make sense of why someone they loved would kill themselves. I say this from experience, not personal, from seeing the effect of suicide. There is a town near where I grew up, maybe a population of 8,000, about a decade ago, it was named as the town with the second highest rate of suicide in the world. Just let that sink in for a moment, small town, maybe 8,000 people. And it's suicide rate was enough that it elevated it to the second highest in the world. 34 young men killed themselves over the course of three years, nearly a rate of 1 every 34 days. And many of the families still have no idea why their loved ones killed themselves.

Because the truly horrifying thing about suicide is, sometimes, there is no reason.

ThomasEll

• Plantmonster
« Reply #16 on: 08 Jun 2013, 16:10 »

To be fair though, the page before she talks about how she told her dad about losing her virginity. She then went to college for about two years (her dad committed suicide between her Sophomore and Junior years). I'm pretty sure that if she had been sexually abused as a child she would remember it. Although I don't really have any experience to back that assumption up, it just doesn't seem likely.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #17 on: 08 Jun 2013, 16:18 »

Honestly, as the child of one alcoholic non-entity parent and one physically abusive parent, I really, really envy people who have super-close relationships with their parents. If I was ever so lucky as to get married, and have children of my own, my only hope could be to be as close to them as Faye and her dad were (assuming no abuse, which is probably correct, but it's still fun to speculate).

I should probably note that my opinions of how close normal families are, too, rely on observation from afar.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #18 on: 08 Jun 2013, 16:50 »

We've seen her therapy sessions. Dr. Buenvenida should know what sexual abuse looks like and how to probe for it, but didn't seem to suspect anything of the sort.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #19 on: 08 Jun 2013, 16:53 »

That's conclusive to me. Maybe I give too much insight to shrinks, but sure she would have seen it.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 08 Jun 2013, 18:02 »

Because the truly horrifying thing about suicide is, sometimes, there is no reason.

This
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Eddie 88

« Reply #21 on: 08 Jun 2013, 18:08 »

When he last mentioned the matter, Jeph had no plan to end the comic at any time.

But if you want, ask the question on his Tumblr - Jeph makes regular posts of answers there, and might well simply say "no" if he knows that.

For now, I'm much happier to burn time speculating than to ask the man himself. Plus, we don't know at this point that it won't eventually come up in the comic again. I mean, it won't, but I'd actually prefer to wait until the comic's conclusion, even if it's three decades from now. I suppose I could ask "do you, Jeph, know why David committed suicide, even if you'll never reveal it in the comic (which we all hope you won't)?"

Why would Mr. Whitaker kill himself?

Certainly wasn't physical health problems, the medical examiner proved that.

Certainly wasn't financial trouble, it would have come up when Faye told Marten about what happened, and when she visited her mother and sister. If it was for the insurance money, than that was a complete screw-up of a plan because insurance companies will not pay out on suicide.

Certainly wasn't unemployment because that would have come up as well.

Certainly wasn't to escape an abusive relationship or environment, because as much as Faye's mother may have disapproved of Faye's father adding bourbon to his milkshake, its quite apparent from what we've see, Faye's father deeply loved his family. And it's shown afterwards by Faye's mother commenting on the headstone.

Was it stress? Or grief? Depression? Was Mr. Whitaker actually an believer that all life was absurd and that there was no point in living? Or was he told he had Parkinson's or early onset Alzheimer's and decided that rather than letting his family see him fade away a little bit everyday, he would get up, watch the sun rise and pull the trigger.

Who knows. Because we don't. All we can do is speculate until Jeph decides what happened. And to be honest, I can tell you that isn't going to happen, ever. People rarely have a reason as to why they commit suicide; its often a case that it happens and then you have family and fiends left behind trying to make sense of why someone they loved would kill themselves. I say this from experience, not personal, from seeing the effect of suicide. There is a town near where I grew up, maybe a population of 8,000, about a decade ago, it was named as the town with the second highest rate of suicide in the world. Just let that sink in for a moment, small town, maybe 8,000 people. And it's suicide rate was enough that it elevated it to the second highest in the world. 34 young men killed themselves over the course of three years, nearly a rate of 1 every 34 days. And many of the families still have no idea why their loved ones killed themselves.

Ooh, that bolded part, that's a good one I never considered -- maybe he was diagnosed with ALS and didn't want to put his family through that or something.

I don't think "people rarely have a reason to commit suicide" is correct, though. Think about how crazy that would be -- people just killing themselves for no reason at all. Just waking up one day and being all, "I think I'll kill myself today. No real reason, just because." I'm pretty sure in most cases, it's either due to depression or illness.

Honestly, as the child of one alcoholic non-entity parent and one physically abusive parent, I really, really envy people who have super-close relationships with their parents. If I was ever so lucky as to get married, and have children of my own, my only hope could be to be as close to them as Faye and her dad were (assuming no abuse, which is probably correct, but it's still fun to speculate).

I should probably note that my opinions of how close normal families are, too, rely on observation from afar.

I think it's safe to say that happy, healthy, neurotypical people don't read QC :p Or at least don't frequent its forums.

So what's your story vis-a-vis family drama? Mine's pretty standard, as you saw. Almost boringly standard. I actually wish I had something more exciting. Like, "Well, I'm the product of consentual incest and was raised in a circus, and when I'd miss a jump my father would make me eat hákarl while my mom read me explicit love-letters from their courtship days at the family reunions."

We've seen her therapy sessions. Dr. Buenvenida should know what sexual abuse looks like and how to probe for it, but didn't seem to suspect anything of the sort.

Good point, though again, Jeph isn't a liscensed therapist. And even if he's gone to them (which does seem likely), that doesn't mean Dr. Corrine's words are comparable to an actual therapist.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #22 on: 08 Jun 2013, 21:56 »

I don't think "people rarely have a reason to commit suicide" is correct, though. Think about how crazy that would be -- people just killing themselves for no reason at all. Just waking up one day and being all, "I think I'll kill myself today. No real reason, just because." I'm pretty sure in most cases, it's either due to depression or illness.

Congratulations on having a rather bláse point of view. The fact is, there is really only a small fraction of suicides where someone leaves a letter saying why they've taken such a drastic action. No one ever wakes up and says to themselves "I think I'll kill myself today." It could be a small thing; a comment here, something happening there. The whole thing about "no reason" is that people can't fathom why someone could just kill themselves without warning. There are often cases where someone has taken their own life for no discernible reason. Sometimes the signs are there, sometimes they're not. People are actually quite good at hiding what they're thinking.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #23 on: 08 Jun 2013, 22:33 »

Why did Faye's dad kill himself?
(click to show/hide)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #24 on: 08 Jun 2013, 23:16 »

Wow. 

That actually works. 

:-P
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #25 on: 08 Jun 2013, 23:34 »

The sessions with Dr. Buenvenida don't rule out a history of sexual abuse, not if Jeph decided it was none of our business and protected Faye's privacy by leaving it out.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #26 on: 09 Jun 2013, 01:49 »

So what's your story vis-a-vis family drama? Mine's pretty standard, as you saw. Almost boringly standard.
Hm. It's part of a larger document I had started typing up about my life, so here goes.
-----
My father was roughly 40 when he married my mother, who was 19 at the time, against the understandable major resistance of her family. She became alienated from her family over this, and she didn't have that many social contacts to begin with, so she was basically left alone in an emotionally abusive relationship with my father. Now, my father never cheated on her or hit her (that I know of), but he would enforce his opinions upon her and always seek quarrels with people. He was also into some health programs which changed over time. I remember one of them said that having salted food was bad, so he got very angry with my mother when she accidentally left some salt on some potatoes that she didn't want to eat and gave them to me.

Another example is how he at some point believed that drinking only distilled water was good for you, so that was the only water we were allowed to drink. Until we went into a store which sold that water and asked if that was drinkable. The cashier looked at us like we had asked whether sulfuric acid was drinkable and said „...No.“ And that was the end to the water affair. It still surprises me looking back that that worked; normally my father would get in an argument with people over such things until they told him to go away or caved in.

So anyway, we moved to a new country. It quickly became apparent that neither of my parents had picked up the local language well enough to communicate with the authorities, cashiers etc or otherwise get by in everyday life. Kids, on the other hand, pick up languages pretty quickly... so I was not in school most of the time, but instead out with my parents helping them to claim child support from state or similar things (my parents weren't exactly qualified workers either, and my father had some severe health problems). And if a decision came from the authorities which my father did not agree with (which was quite often), it was me who would have to go with him to the authorities or translate appeal letters.

Imagine this. A child of 8-9 years translating stuff between a 50 year old man who does everything he can to avoid working and wants his son to translate everything exactly like he wants to, including all and any belligerent threats (or attempted bribes. Sometimes two sentences apart from each other) to the social worker, and said social worker who gets understandably irate by how the man treats him and the man's son. When you are a child and translating this, the frustrations and the anger at the other party get (even subconsciously) focused on you, because it's you who speaks the words. That was no fun.

Additionally, I had read some example letters and books on Germany's culture and knew that of course that shit would not fly. So I tried to persuade him to let it go when he inevitably threatened to complain to the man's superior. That this 9 year old with „much less life experience“ and therefore of course infinitely inferior to him would dare to question him thusly, irritated him even more.

Eventually, I started having spasms. Nothing major, but eventually enough to convince even my father to consult a hospital. (I say „even“, because he was normally distrustful of doctors. And lawyers. And people who weren't him, really.) My parents were told that I had epilepsy of unknown origin (and also short-sightedness). I later learned that epilepsy spasms may be triggered by stress if there is a predisposition to that, so that might have been it. I stayed in the hospital for three months.

That was good, because people noticed I wasn't visiting school and my parents got a stern talking to from the countries' equivalents of CPS workers. After that, I mostly went to school uninterrupted, but still helicoptered by one of my parents on the way from and to school. We lived literally one crosswalk and hundred meters from the school, and not in a dangerous neighbourhood either. The helicoptering continued until I was 15 or so, even to highschool which was 15 walking minutes away. That made me the only child in my grade which would get walked by parents to school. (sarcasm on) That, of course, earned me my classmates' utter respect (sarcasm off).

In primary school, I was also the only child who did not have access to a TV, until we had an assignment of tracking our TV watching habits for a week, so my father decided to buy a TV, something he had been opposed to because it contained "dangerous radiation"(tm) and was also bad to my eyes. But of course it could not fly that a child of his could not do an assignment for lack of a TV (what would everybody else think?), so a TV we got. Laughable, when I think back on it. Of course, because of the radiation and my poor eyes, I was allowed to watch it half an hour a day tops.
----

After that, it kinda strays into stuff I am not willing to share publicly.

I actually wish I had something more exciting. Like, "Well, I'm the product of consentual incest and was raised in a circus, and when I'd miss a jump my father would make me eat hákarl while my mom read me explicit love-letters from their courtship days at the family reunions."
I might have to steal that one.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #27 on: 09 Jun 2013, 03:36 »

"dangerous radiation"(tm)

I have heard that this was true - if you sat on the floor close to them. The argument goes that CRT TVs often didn't have such good shielding on the panel underneath the screen so you would be in the path of any leaking X-rays (?).
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

tassaron

• Not quite a lurker
    • Tassaron.com
« Reply #28 on: 09 Jun 2013, 10:55 »

Heh, I have this theory -- a parent's job is to be so horrible to their children that they'll wanna move out and start lives of their own when they turn eighteen.
That is an excellent quote.

I consider myself fairly lucky, because I always had one okay parent. She should have been in therapy a lot more and she made a lot of mistakes, but she did actually try to be a mom. Everyone else, I don't talk about.

More on-topic: I agree with the idea that never knowing exactly why Faye's dad died makes the story better. I think Jeph has made Faye's lack of closure into an important part of her character, so he would be unlikely to reveal the true reason, if there even is one. (Although I doubt it would be very much of a comfort for her to know anyway -- I don't think there's any reason that could be so solid as to make her think his suicide was a good idea, or even an understandable one.)

Eddie 88

« Reply #29 on: 09 Jun 2013, 11:32 »

I guess I just wanna know whether Jeph actually knows why David killed himself. Not that it's important -- whenever people complain about whether an author knew something in a story was gonna happen from the beginning, I'm always the first one to say "what does it matter?"

Still, I'd like the weird vibe I got from the whole thingmajiggy to be put to bed. I'm sure I'm probably wrong, but I wanna know if it's that, at least.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #30 on: 09 Jun 2013, 12:44 »

He did it for his daughter's sake, to spare her the embarrassment of having a breakdown and years of being emotionally crippled for no good reason.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #31 on: 09 Jun 2013, 17:30 »

This - again - x 1,000.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #32 on: 09 Jun 2013, 18:29 »

I've figured it out!

He did it because it was necessary for the plot.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #33 on: 09 Jun 2013, 21:56 »

There's now a "Dysfunctional Families" thread in Relate containing the posts about forumgoers's own families of origin, where discussions of same should continue.

Back on topic, I was just afflicted by a mental picture of Faye somehow crossing into the real world and confronting Jeph: "Hello. My name is Faye Whitaker. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2013, 08:37 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Eddie 88

« Reply #34 on: 10 Jun 2013, 01:20 »

More evidence of Faye's sexual dysfunction -- she's always just had a generally negative, pessimistic attitude towards sex. Can't find the comic, but in one Faye and Marten talk about all the great stuff about being older, and Faye goes, "Yeah yeah, get the typical male example of sex out of the way." Maybe it was Faye and Dora.

Anytime sex is brought up, Faye always exhibits a really negative attitude. Especially compared to someone like Raven (who's probably the most psychologically healthy of the cast), who has a really positive view of sex.

Even nudity, even in a presumably-platonic setting, is upsetting for Faye...
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=997

Not to mention her unhealthy body image, always complaining about her weight and such. You could potentially frame the sex and nudity stuff as a type of trust issue brough on by her father's suicide, but you can't really make the logical leap from parental suicide to negative body-image. The leap from sexual abuse to negative body-image is much shorter and more logical.

He did it for his daughter's sake, to spare her the embarrassment of having a breakdown and years of being emotionally crippled for no good reason.

Lol, well that backfired.

I've figured it out!

He did it because it was necessary for the plot.

You cunning bastard...
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2013, 01:44 by Eddie 88 »

Storel

« Reply #35 on: 10 Jun 2013, 05:49 »

More evidence of Faye's sexual dysfunction -- she's always just had a generally negative, pessimistic attitude towards sex. Can't find the comic, but in one Faye and Marten talk about all the great stuff about being older, and Faye goes, "Yeah yeah, get the typical male example of sex out of the way." Maybe it was Faye and Dora.

Anytime sex is brought up, Faye always exhibits a really negative attitude. Especially compared to someone like Raven (who's probably the most psychologically healthy of the cast), who has a really positive view of sex.

Even nudity, even in a presumably-platonic setting, is upsetting for Faye...
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=997

Not to mention her unhealthy body image, always complaining about her weight and such. You could potentially frame the sex and nudity stuff as a type of trust issue brough on by her father's suicide, but you can't really make the logical leap from parental suicide to negative body-image. The leap from sexual abuse to negative body-image is much shorter and more logical.

Hmm. You're making some very interesting points here...

Lol, well that backfired.

I think you missed IICIH's point (see the emphasized part). IICIH is implying that Faye's father knew Fay was about to have a breakdown and be emotionally crippled for years, and he didn't want that to happen to her for no good reason. So he committed suicide to give her a good reason...  :roll:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #36 on: 10 Jun 2013, 06:12 »

Yes, that's what I meant.

Yet another factette to toss in the soup is that she managed a physical relationship (Sven) before she could handle attachment. That could be used as an argument either way.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book
« Reply #37 on: 10 Jun 2013, 08:30 »

There's now a "Dysfunctional Families" thread in Relate containing the posts about forumgoers's own families of origin, where discussions of same should continue.

Back on topic, I was just afflicted by a mental picture of Faye somehow crossing into the real world and confronting Jeph: "Hello. My name is Faye Whitaker. You killed my father. Prepared to die."
Actually, I could see this as a guest comic. WILLIS! MILHOLLAND! FRONT AND CENTER!
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #38 on: 10 Jun 2013, 08:38 »

Here's an answer: he didn't kill himself. He's actually the director of the DoKYA and what Faye saw was an acephalic clone being controlled by an AI. Steve knows of Director Whitaker of course, but either hasn't made the connection (does he even know about Faye's story?) or has been sworn to secrecy. As for why? Plausible deniability; who better to head up an ultra-secret paramilitary organisation than a dead man?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #39 on: 10 Jun 2013, 08:47 »

This is now my head cannon.

Storel

« Reply #40 on: 10 Jun 2013, 11:01 »

What does DoYKA stand for? I don't recall Steve ever mentioning the name of the agency he works for.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #41 on: 10 Jun 2013, 11:02 »

Department of Kicking Your Ass. 

And Masterpiece, be careful with that thing - you never know when they're going to go off...  ;)
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Loki

• comeback tour!

ThomasEll

• Plantmonster
« Reply #43 on: 10 Jun 2013, 15:39 »

Link to the strip in question.

I didn't twig that the woman who was toruting Steve was also his girlfriend

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #44 on: 10 Jun 2013, 17:53 »

It happens all the time in Bond movies. So why not for Steve too?

HappyHavoc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Please forgive my dyslexia
« Reply #45 on: 10 Jun 2013, 18:14 »

Man this is a hard one, so many reasons for why he might have done it
Live Love and Headbang!!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #46 on: 10 Jun 2013, 19:09 »

It was not presented as being a reason, but I think Faye's mom had a point when she said "He was a God-damned Jackass who didn't deserve the wonderful family he had". As good an explanation as any and truer than any excuse he could have come up with.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #47 on: 10 Jun 2013, 22:05 »

With regards to Faye's attitude towards sex, bear in mind that from the looks of it, Faye comes from a very religious family, quite possibly in one of the stronger Baptist areas. Growing up in an area like that, well the religious education system practically whacks it into people's head that sex outside of marriage is wrong and that positions other than the missionary position means you're going to hell.

Or at the very least sex was not something openly discussed in Faye's family. Thus Faye has had limited experience talking about sex, which would have been particularly jarring when she moved north and started working with Dora.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #48 on: 10 Jun 2013, 22:09 »

True, but she was sexually active before she even left for college.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #49 on: 11 Jun 2013, 00:05 »

It was not presented as being a reason, but I think Faye's mom had a point when she said "He was a God-damned Jackass who didn't deserve the wonderful family he had". As good an explanation as any and truer than any excuse he could have come up with.

Ergh. What exactly is your line of reasoning there?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up