THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why did Faye's dad kill himself?  (Read 27616 times)

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
Re: Why did Faye's dad kill himself?
« Reply #100 on: 22 Jun 2013, 21:43 »

Eddie, I think you're underestimating how insidious and damaging cultural messages about women's bodies can be.

And self-medicating with alcohol isn't often something that people do because they outright reject treatment, it's something they often do because, for any number of reasons, treatment isn't available.  And not just (but often) for financial reasons.  If you've got health insurance, and if it also covers mental health, and if you can find someone in your area who isn't a total dbag.  Seeing a therapist is deeply personal, and finding one you can feel comfortable talking to is incredibly difficult, not only because you're opening up to a complete stranger, but also because your options are so limited unless you can afford to pay full price., and/or have the energy to 'try out' multiple therapists.  Most people can't, and can't shell out $200/week out-of-pocket.

I'm also someone who has felt suicidal and has lost dear friends to suicide.  While I understand the gut reaction to rage at them (and trust me, I have - and I'm not proud of it, but I understand it), it's... well, really hurtful to me to read about people who would respond to my desire to take my life with "but that would hurt me too much!"  If I confide in someone that I want to kill myself, that I am feeling so bad, so terrible, that I am considering taking my life, and they respond in a way that centers THEIR feelings?  I just... I know a lot of people don't understand depression and anxiety, but guilt is a big part of what makes it worse, at least for me.  That would not be helpful.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2013, 21:56 by henri bemis »

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #101 on: 23 Jun 2013, 02:43 »

Even Dora has had body image problems, related to her bust size.
And Raven has had body image problems related to her weight (and to stretchmarks caused by the weight).

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #102 on: 23 Jun 2013, 05:03 »

But getting control of her weight changed her attitude

As Dora says, "mostly".  Body issues are always there, because... your body is. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #103 on: 24 Jun 2013, 09:59 »

But getting control of her weight changed her attitude

As Dora says, "mostly".  Body issues are always there, because... your body is.
She changed her attitude on the outside.  The thing is, the fact that she may have once been a bit heavyset is still a deep, dark secret suggests she still has some internalized body issues.

And for what it's worth, society is pretty hard at work at trying to give men body image issues too.  It's really not at the same point as what women have to put up with, but give it time.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #104 on: 24 Jun 2013, 18:16 »

And for what it's worth, society is pretty hard at work at trying to give men body image issues too.  It's really not at the same point as what women have to put up with, but give it time.

Of course it is - it's a marketing conspiracy to make men buy all the same diet products women do, plus all the weight machines and/or gym memberships. On the other hand there are a lot more obese people these days, especially across the US, so there's definitely a growing (in every sense of the word) target market.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up