an invisible flying machine
- 16 (18.6%)
store clerk
- 5 (5.8%)
espresso machine
- 6 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2505-2509 (August 5-9, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 61329 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Honestly, I find her considerably less annoying that other characters at points, Marten's mom being a HUGE example.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

westrim

Why would one visit a comic forum if not to discuss the comic? I mean every other topic has far more robust forums dedicated to them elsewhere.  :psyduck:

And she is annoying, but in a comedic sociopath way.

Also, I did not realize I shared your opinion, MoM.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Methinks you venture outside the comic section about as often as I venture INTO the comic section  :-D
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

I find May more annoying than Marten's mom, at least MartenMom has time of not being annoying, whereas May has been consistently annoying.

westrim

Methinks you venture outside the comic section about as often as I venture INTO the comic section  :-D
That doesn't really invalidate my statement nor answer my question...
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2013, 17:13 by Westrim »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I basically never post in the 'comic' section of this forum, but is anyone else finding this hologram chick incredibly fucking annoying?

Many people have had that exact reaction.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier

I find May more annoying than Marten's mom, at least MartenMom has time of not being annoying, whereas May has been consistently annoying.
She has. If you look at her in terms of a potential arc though, I wouldn't be surprised if she gradually became more and more of a tolerable character. I don't think she's going away after just one more day. I think somehow Dale will end up becoming attached to her because of a single moment of bonding they have in the next few strips and somehow she'll end up sticking around.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

This. ^ Jeph has put a lot of effort into May for a one-shot character.

Also I notice that Dale is not doing the sensible thing, which would be to turn off the glasses.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Today's comic will make everybody who was expecting May/Marigold interaction disappointed.

Also I'll go to bed now. It's 05:42 a.m. and I'm starting to get tired.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

So is this a redeeming feature on her part, or just another way to be obnoxious, or a way of being a good person without risking her defense mechanisms?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Salty

• Plantmonster
  • The Lyingest Liar

She actually has a point this time.

Huh.

westrim

She does have a point, but it's an irrelevant point- we've seen Marigold make it clear that she dislikes him solely for being on the other side, not for (ineffectually) attacking her. And he already moved past it with the peace offering pizza, which she she accepted. Then without explanation she started hissing at him on sight, even forcing herself on him when he ignored her.

Now that I think about it, they sound pretty tsundere about each other.  :-*

There have been other well developed one shot characters- Lt. Potter, arguably Station and Hannerdad, Sara.

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
  • My username is from some cartoon or something...

I gotta say station is my favorite one shot I've read here. In a sick but somehow loving way he enjoyed seeing Hanners ill, because he saw it as an opportunity to care for her.
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

It sounded like he started off seeing her illness as an intellectual challenge and developed genuine affection as he discovered the human underneath the symptoms.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

That doesn't really invalidate my statement nor answer my question...

I joined this forum as a dedicated comic acolyte about eight years ago and am now basically here for the community in the non-comic section. I do read the comic still, I just don't really have much attachment to it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I'd been a member of this forum for fourteen months before I posted outside COMIC and BAND, but then I ventured out into DISCUSS one day to be rude about French intellectuals and found myself going steel on steel with a whole new regiment of forum grognards. Good times... Slightly more than half my posts are still in COMIC though.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I think someone in the last thread already brought up the idea of May going into Momo's old chassis. Considering its sort of anime, school girl clothing, I'd imagine May would want to customise it closer to her tastes.

In the way off category, my brain jumped to Dale using his new money to buy the chassis off Marigold for May. Although since Dale says he supports his mum, that'd be a bit irresponsible. Not that it would matter around here.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'd been a member of this forum for fourteen months before I posted outside COMIC and BAND, but then I ventured out into DISCUSS one day to be rude about French intellectuals and found myself going steel on steel with a whole new regiment of forum grognards. Good times... Slightly more than half my posts are still in COMIC though.
I'm pretty much the same, I mostly stuck to the comic section, I think it was becoming a mod that made me venture out into the rest of the forum (almost exactly fourteen months after joining, actually). Like Akima I still post in the comic section a lot but I don't know the distribution of my posts offhand.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

AI gender explanation.

I read ahead from there a little and got to here...

It is REALLY weird seeing a comic without any current characters.

[/sidetrack]

Hm... I wonder if there's a more recent comic with that situation?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Station and Lt. Potter.

Hopefully the current arc's characters continue to recur after this arc. Well, I could maybe live without May but there is something enjoyable about her in small doses.

katsmeat

• Furry furrier

I think someone in the last thread already brought up the idea of May going into Momo's old chassis. Considering its sort of anime, school girl clothing, I'd imagine May would want to customise it closer to her tastes.

Whoever runs the AI jail would likely take a dim view of that.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

May making sense.

The world has gone mad!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

I think maybe a smaller less expensive chassis with the benefit of customizable add-ons like thrusters, armor panels and wings would fir the bill and limit the possible destruction levels ... morphing into a jet mode but without the weaponry ..... if only I could remember the name of one of half a dozen or more series based on such an idea.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

If May is going to be a permanent character, I suspect there will have to be something done so that she's visible to more than just the glasses-wearer. However, I don't think it's inconceivable that she'll just be around until the end of the three days or however long it was. That's long enough for a reasonable story arc and we're already seeing some signs of where it's going.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I think maybe a smaller less expensive chassis with the benefit of customizable add-ons like thrusters, armor panels and wings would fir the bill and limit the possible destruction levels ... morphing into a jet mode but without the weaponry ..... if only I could remember the name of one of half a dozen or more series based on such an idea.

Yes, but would she be an Autobot or a Decepticon.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I really think Dale's catching a little too much blame for his fencing with Mar-bear. She wasn't exactly innocent of the teasing/abuse/etc "Alliance scum" "rampant hissing" and then Dale made peace. With pizza. (An old tactic that actually helped end WW1) Sooo yeah. I dunno this strip just kinda rubs me the wrong way.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

This pretty much confirms what has been said about Dale's behavior towards Marigold. (Immature.)

And since this is his last delivery of the night, he's under no obligation to leave immediately afterwards...
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Prediction: Momo "detects" May, and both share an uncomfortable "reunion."

Called it....sorta.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

For some reason I like the iron-fist-in-velvet-glove personality type, across species even. I'm enjoying Momo.

This also answers the question about whether other computers can see Dickmouth Stinkface. To whom, notice, Momo did not even offer the courtesy of using a name.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Ellie

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

What if this is all a scheme by Momo to get Dale and Marigold to at least tolerate each other?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new person!

The diner scene is evidence that Momo has just such a plan, and it's totally in character given the way she facilitated Hannelore/Marigold interaction.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
  • My username is from some cartoon or something...

I blew air out of my nose at a noticeable tone when May said "kawaii desu."
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I knew I liked momo xD

MightionNY

• Plantmonster
  • Protectobots, combine!

Momo is awesome.  I'm a bit surprised she knew all that about May after only having met her less than a minute before.
"Dance like it hurts.  Love like you need money.  Work when people are watching." -Dogbert

Ellie

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

And seeing them side by side, May's hologram reminds me a bit of Momo's chassis. Similar height and body shape, sans nose and hair with more tails. May just looks a bit taller because of the maid's frilly headpiece.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Maybe there's some equivalent of an orange jumpsuit in the metadata that accompanies May's bits.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

There probably is. I would guess that AI projections have all sorts of I.D. data inlaid in them, especially when it comes to interacting with other AIs. It's important for establishing individual identity AND preventing abuse of the sheer power an AI could wield if you can be tracked and identified fairly easily.

Any way. Go Momo~
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Momo has found out when Dale's shift ends, and ordered a pizza at just the right time. Serious business indeed.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

tuxedobob

• Plantmonster

So he correctly uses "ensure" instead of "insure", and then he goes and spells "moxie" incorrectly.

/facepalm

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Hey now, maybe she approved of Momo's 5-MeO-MiPT!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Just a typo in the "archaic slang" database. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Truec

• Furry furrier

Maybe there's some equivalent of an orange jumpsuit in the metadata that accompanies May's bits.

But we've already established that May doesn't have any bits, "like a Barbie doll down there". 

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

Yay, go Momo. :-D

I thought that other AI/computerised people would be able to see May, otherwise her involvement in the story was going to be a bit limited.  Presumably as other have said, either Momo can acquire metadata that May can't remove (otherwise no doubt she would, given her somewhat criminal attitude to life), or it could be something as simple as doing a lookup of her packet's IP address on the local network, which presumably would be linked to the prison.
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2013, 01:46 by TimO »
Actually, it is rocket science.

ab720

• Not quite a lurker

It's only funny if she's joking.

We've read about the AI civil rights, but we know nothing about Robot Jail aside from the possibility that it exists.

Which means if Momo is NOT joking, than she is threatening to use her ambassador powers to incinerate may. I understand that a lot of people do not like may, but it's a really creepy form of capitol punishment.

Then again, I very much doubt that the comic is going to go that grimdark for one storyline.

I do like that Dale actually considers it, and seems suitably freaked out.

As to the hitchhiker line, I have been hoping that the posters saying this is all a scam are wrong.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

So he correctly uses "ensure" instead of "insure", and then he goes and spells "moxie" incorrectly.

/facepalm

Urban Dictionary http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=moxy has more entries under moxy than moxie.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Hmmm first Watain and now a Cave In tshirt. This guy has great taste when it comes to the heavier section of music.

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

I can't get too worried about AI civil rights, given that we don't have AI yet, so we're talking about several removes from reality.  That aside, even if Jeph should decide to write something as dark as that, I don't think it would fit in with Momo's character either, she's not that nasty a person, and it also wouldn't make sense in the context of her civil rights interest.

Having said that, I suspect the only persuasion mechanism that is going to be really effective with May, unless her personality alters dramatically, is threatening her.  She seems to have little regard for her personal responsibility, and quite possibly Momo knows this, and she's generally been shown to be quite smart in relation to human interactions.  The personalities of the AI and robots we see, aren't that dissimilar to humans, which makes sense given their origin, so Momo is probably perfectly capable of dealing with May.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Momo is awesome.  I'm a bit surprised she knew all that about May after only having met her less than a minute before.
Momo is an AI. She doesn't need to wear glasses to run Augmented Reality, it is her natural medium. She's instantly aware of Dale's shift-hours too.

It's interesting that she's running with Japanese greeting body-language, which generally she does not. Possibly because it is her home, or maybe she's playing the Yamato nadeshiko for May's benefit. Her iron fist is grinning through the velvet glove a little though. I approve.

I thought Moxie was originally a soft-drink brand name? It's certainly the only spelling in my dictionary, but May is after all a jail-bird. Perhaps it is robo-thieves' cant?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

hehe, hehehe hehehehe, I like Momo.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Momo at her best!  But ISTM that May is coming close to breaking the fourth wall with her "Anime" comment...

Urban Dictionary http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=moxy has more entries under moxy than moxie.

However, it's the only place that has!  Anyway, one of them is:

Quote from: Urban Dictionary
8.     Moxy

A misnomer for moxie

"Chet lacked the moxy to properly spell moxie"

The drink from which the word is taken was specifically Moxie.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up