THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 23:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you remember...  (Read 10852 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Do you remember...
« Reply #50 on: 20 Apr 2014, 11:09 »

I like to think Hodges, IICIH, May, Loki, etc can run off trouble without the community forming up the electronic equivalent of a lynchmob. We're all theoretically adults or close to it around here and while we have some very passionate people on these boards and we do occasionally get a bit heated we're still pleasant to each other. Even Snalin and I can talk pleasantly and agree on things outside of certain topics in discuss where we attempt to verbally stab each other to death. I've even agreed with Beo before and I thought the sun would go cold before that happened :P

The topics we do tend to get heated on can be pretty damn personal to us as individuals, either via personal experience or the experiences of a close friend, or something fundamental to how we process, learn and understand about the world around us. These vastly different viewpoints do not reconcile easily, and it's natural you're going to see sparks and friction, it's the sign of a diverse and healthy community.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #51 on: 20 Apr 2014, 11:28 »

My point wasn't that people weren't mean to her, it was that it didn't work. In the end we gave up and banned her because she was harming the forum.

So if there were a user who, without directly violating the rules of the forum, posted disproportionately, and was the loudest voice in a ridiculous number of threads, and regularly made other people uncomfortable, and whose posting changed the character of the forum so that regular users were uncomfortable here and kept leaving... I am to believe that the mods would be on top of that and would find a way to restore balance?  At that at no point it could come to people being mean?

We're all human. I'm not going to pretend I'm morally superior and have never been mean to someone or that others can't be mean, because we all have buttons. With that poster, I think I trolled her by posting memes after every post in a certain thread of rolling eye gifs because I was at my wits end with her and wanted her to stop trolling all of us. (She may have been in need of professional help, but she was also a troll.) Was that mature? No. But I was uncomfortable and it restored some type of power level balance for me as a poster. Someone had invaded my home and was making it unpleasant and the only solution I could find at the time was to make it equally unpleasant for her, which many others did as well.

If that were to happen again, at no point could people become mean? No. I know we encourage good behavior, but people are emotional creatures and it's ridiculous to think that no one, out of all of this people on the board, will become mean. Our job, the moderators, is to try to stop a situation from getting too bad, but sometimes we get there too late or in some instances only make it worse and then we have to stop and clean up the mess. Personally I would never like to see people leave because of one or a few asshats ruining things for the majority, but I don't think that's going to happen.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #52 on: 20 Apr 2014, 13:46 »

I think the issue now is there are still people that other people would consider asshats, they're just not as consistently obtuse as that particular member. Also that was one single member in a pool of old-timers who all mostly agreed they had a problem with that member.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #53 on: 20 Apr 2014, 14:14 »

I can't speak for all the mods, but I have received very few complaints about members via PM and I see all of the reported posts. That could be because I'm newer to being a mod and people trust more of the others to PM or because people just aren't approaching a mod when there's an issue. I don't know. I think back when she was around, it was just Paul and maybe IICIH? and Method, I don't remember.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #54 on: 20 Apr 2014, 18:23 »

This thread started off as a light hearted joke and has ended up becoming an example of what I wasn't even actually talking about.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #55 on: 20 Apr 2014, 18:25 »

I can't imagine you're surprised.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #56 on: 20 Apr 2014, 18:28 »

Surprised? No.

Fucking disappointed? Yes. In all of us.

If you need me I'll be in the pointless thread, wanking and crying.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #57 on: 21 Apr 2014, 01:06 »

I know, let's leave it at that and return to the present.

<click>
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up