THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Umm, what??? That's pointless...  (Read 741493 times)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: Umm, what??? That's pointless...
« Reply #451 on: 27 Sep 2013, 15:29 »

Guys and Gals don't get mad, just wait for it.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #452 on: 27 Sep 2013, 15:31 »

The sad thing is that he died anyway two days later because of the injuries he got in the fire. :cry:
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #453 on: 27 Sep 2013, 15:35 »

aww poor little dude.  :-\

well take this gif of a kitten who meows so loudly, it falls over.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #454 on: 27 Sep 2013, 15:42 »

:( At least the firefighter tried, which is all that can be asked.

I went to the Nature Centre a few weeks ago and watched some meerkittens practising watching out. They kept falling over backwards just like that and it was adorable.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #455 on: 27 Sep 2013, 16:22 »

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #456 on: 27 Sep 2013, 16:43 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #457 on: 27 Sep 2013, 21:09 »

If you have a real battle buddy he'll be testing your flak jacket and SAPI plate if he sees you like this.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #458 on: 28 Sep 2013, 14:28 »

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #459 on: 28 Sep 2013, 18:38 »

looks like a facehugger but I am pretty sure its a camel spider.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #460 on: 28 Sep 2013, 18:48 »

It is. Not that it's much better.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #461 on: 29 Sep 2013, 04:50 »

Uuu God I hate spiders. If I had that shit happened to me, I'd probably be identified as the soldier who goes everywhere in full NBC gear.

:psyduck:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #462 on: 29 Sep 2013, 07:41 »

A camel spider is less a spider and more a "Hell spawned hate demon crawling from the depths of your darkest nightmares"

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #463 on: 29 Sep 2013, 08:09 »

So close!

Prepare your heartstrings!
http://imgur.com/gallery/rdeHA
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2013, 08:15 by LeeC »

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #464 on: 29 Sep 2013, 10:06 »

Well, I'm paranoid now...
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #465 on: 29 Sep 2013, 10:29 »

......well hell that's never getting out of my head.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #466 on: 29 Sep 2013, 12:13 »

Camel Spider picture....
(click to show/hide)
If you have a real battle buddy he'll be testing your flak jacket and SAPI plate if he sees you like this.

one of my Marine SSgts has a video of one of his squad waking up with one of those on his chest.
it's all fun and games and screams
until
one of the ohter Marines sees it, flips out, and starts crushing the spider with a rifle butt.
full on swinging.  not jabbing.
oh yeah.
no sapi plate or flak on the victim.
 :-o  oops   :-o

I work with the victim now.  he says the beating was better than having the spider on his chest.

Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #467 on: 29 Sep 2013, 12:21 »

I would have thought that it takes a lot more than a large but harmless arthropod to scare a Marine out of his wits.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #468 on: 29 Sep 2013, 12:23 »

IDK...

it scare me shitless to wake up with one of those on my chest.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #469 on: 29 Sep 2013, 12:25 »

I would have thought that it takes a lot more than a large but harmless arthropod to scare a Marine out of his wits.

You have a VERY odd definition of harmless. Are you perhaps one of our Aussie forum goers?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #470 on: 29 Sep 2013, 12:40 »

No, I only know that Wikipedia tells me that "a number of urban legends exaggerate the size and speed of Solifugae, and their potential danger to humans, which is negligible."
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #471 on: 29 Sep 2013, 12:56 »

All I know is what they told us in training. Which is they're dangerous and we're to terminate them with extreme prejudice. Information covered included that they do not have venom, but instead apparently carry a natural pain killer (the types found in Iraq and Afghanistan any way). I can also confirm with various Marines and soldiers that orders were issued under the ROE that those armed with a sidearm could use it to engage a camel spider, and were encouraged to do so.

They also get bigger then that wiki article would have you believe.

(click to show/hide)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #473 on: 29 Sep 2013, 13:04 »

Eh still happy to shoot the little nightmares on sight.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #474 on: 29 Sep 2013, 13:06 »

Dude, just think about the badass cred you could gain by handling them with ease when everyone else is scared shitless.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #475 on: 29 Sep 2013, 13:19 »

I am a panic attack grade arachnophobe.

Not only no, but HELL no.

http://www.camelspiders.net/camel-spider-bite.htm

They can in fact do pretty solid damage. Anything causing an abscess is not to be trifled with.

For the record I have worked extensively for years to attempt to overcome my arachnophobia. I have let three different species of tarantula walk on me, and even given one "pets". I have researched spiders. I have watched video, I have interacted with them. I still hate them and their kind with every fiber of my being while acknowledging their place in surrounding ecosystem. 

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
  • My username is from some cartoon or something...
« Reply #476 on: 29 Sep 2013, 13:21 »

Re: Philosoraptor:

Ah, but what if each new life is like being continually reincarnated to do everything correctly to live the longest? You reach a checkpoint, you run, you trip and die, you are reborn as someone else, you try again, you get past, it feels like something that happened to you but that you know did not, and the cycle repeats.

Perhaps that's not only Deja Vu. Perhaps you are experiencing the lives of the dead. Perhaps it's even proof of a linear timeline which lacks a future. Maybe all predictions are past selves attempting to aim for the optimal result (?).

What if even those who make the stupid decision to drive 4 times over the legal blood alcohol limit had lived several times over, and what they experience as Deja Vu is really the subtle skip in the beats of the ever-moving timeline.

This could also explain the ability to dream of things you could never feel. (e.g. the man born without legs feels pain in his absent limbs). Maybe past selves have lived in alternate realities with subtle differences, and when you dream, they get to live their lives, or you get to see them living theirs.

Ahhh, philosoraptor.
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #477 on: 29 Sep 2013, 13:24 »

They can in fact do pretty solid damage. Anything causing an abscess is not to be trifled with.
How did they know it was a camel spider bite if the soldier only noticed he'd been bitten after he'd woken up?

This could also explain the ability to dream of things you could never feel. (e.g. the man born without legs feels pain in his absent limbs).
As far as I know, phantom limbs can only cause pain if the person had experienced pain in those limbs while they existed. Regardless, even if you cannot feel something from an external source, you can still imagine and dream of those sensations. A man born without legs will still have legs in his somatosensory map of his body.

Sorry to ruin your musings with science. ;)
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2013, 13:33 by LTK »

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
« Reply #478 on: 29 Sep 2013, 13:46 »

My musings can not be silenced!

My existential ranting shall go on!

Edit: I found a typo! First to find it gets in my signature saying whatever they like.  :-D
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #479 on: 29 Sep 2013, 13:47 »

Ah, but what if each new life is like being continually reincarnated to do everything correctly to live the longest? You reach a checkpoint, you run, you trip and die, you are reborn as someone else, you try again, you get past, it feels like something that happened to you but that you know did not, and the cycle repeats.

Quote from: Terry Pratchett in Thief of Time
Faced with danger, or any kind of task that involves risk of death, a yeti will save its life up to that point and then proceed with all due caution, yet in the comfortable knowledge that, should everything go pancake shaped, it will wake up at the point where it saved itself wit, and this is the important part, knowledge of the events which have just happened but which will not not happen because it's not going to be such a damn fool next time.

So, Loki, how long did you think it would take?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

ackblom12

« Reply #480 on: 29 Sep 2013, 14:02 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #481 on: 29 Sep 2013, 14:04 »

How did they know it was a camel spider bite if the soldier only noticed he'd been bitten after he'd woken up?

They can compare it to other camel spider bites received in theater. Not like the Docs haven't seen them before.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #482 on: 29 Sep 2013, 14:20 »

Ah, I see. Better not pick them up then, I guess!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #483 on: 29 Sep 2013, 14:30 »

Edit: I found a typo! First to find it gets in my signature saying whatever they like.  :-D

Intution.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #484 on: 29 Sep 2013, 14:32 »

You mean intuation ^_^
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
« Reply #485 on: 29 Sep 2013, 15:14 »

Okay. What's the phrase you want Barmy? Be careful; this is going to be for all the forumites to see!

Edit: ooooooh-kaaaay. The one Barmy found wasn't the one I noticed. The one MoM found was. So, you both win. Please place your orders with the attendant.  :-D
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #486 on: 29 Sep 2013, 17:06 »

The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #487 on: 29 Sep 2013, 17:50 »

I did NOT take that picture.

(However, I do know where that picture was taken... Sometimes letter highway names are just not well thought out in this state.)
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2013, 17:55 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #488 on: 29 Sep 2013, 18:03 »

OH! I get it now!

ackblom12

« Reply #489 on: 29 Sep 2013, 19:26 »

Animal shaming is one of the greatest things to ever happen to the internet.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #490 on: 29 Sep 2013, 20:31 »

kyomi

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
« Reply #491 on: 30 Sep 2013, 04:52 »

Ok.. now I'm going to be creeped out for the rest of the day.. I demand all spider pictures be linked by text only or put in spoilers please >.>

On another note.. I just realized that I had a dream about it being the week of Xmas and I had done no prior shopping. I *just* realized that it was a dream.. about 3 hours later. I was still thinking it was Xmas time for some reason...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #492 on: 30 Sep 2013, 05:55 »

Non-Euclidean anime legs:

Oops:

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #493 on: 30 Sep 2013, 06:43 »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #494 on: 30 Sep 2013, 06:53 »

Sorry...

(click to show/hide)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #495 on: 30 Sep 2013, 07:18 »

I was still thinking it was Xmas time for some reason...
You have no idea how much I'd like the three months in between to be over (with a few exceptions).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #496 on: 30 Sep 2013, 07:36 »

It was hypothetical; just a story made up to illustrate a point.
A good story nonetheless.

ackblom12

« Reply #497 on: 30 Sep 2013, 07:39 »

Goddamnit Jimmy

« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2013, 07:48 by ackblom12 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #498 on: 30 Sep 2013, 08:16 »

Unfortunately, I am the High King of Skyrim
It's good to be King?

Winged Hussars!
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2013, 08:39 by LeeC »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #499 on: 30 Sep 2013, 08:57 »

Goddamnit Jimmy
THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS, JIMMY.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 97   Go Up