THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Vault 101 (Fallout Thread)  (Read 151537 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Vault 101 (Fallout Thread)
« on: 22 Oct 2013, 11:45 »

There was a fallout 3 thread that hasn't been touched in 3 years and I was not sure how the community feels towards reviving a 3 year old thread.  I will link it here and if the mods feel a new thread is not warranted, please feel free to merge them.

I used to be able to play FO3 just fine on my PC but then about 2 years ago it will randomly crash, usually about 10-20 minutes in.  The only fixes for it I have found (that work) only work for windows 7 machines, while I still have vista.  Anyone encounter this and ever found a legit fix for this?  Considering I go to work and live everyday in the "capital wasteland" it would be cool to set the world on fire again.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2013, 13:19 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
Re: Vault 101 (Fallout 3)
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:09 »

You know, I never did find the republic of Dave.  I need to revisit this.  And, no, never encountered that problem as I played on 360.  Hope you get it fixed.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:24 »

I have only played Fallout 3 and New Vegas on PS3 and my game would crash a lot when the save file got huge. I think there are ways to fix that a little but it's mainly something you have to prevent from the start as far as I know. Sorry if that doesn't help, which admittedly it probably won't at all. Hope you find a fix.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2013, 13:02 »

Ha, weird. I just reinstalled Fallout 3 for the first time in years the other day, but I haven't had the chance to play it much since.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2013, 13:10 »

Well Lee, using Vista is an error to begin with. Aside from switching to Win7 I can't help you.

Also, can we make this a general Fallout thread? I love Fallout 3 and NV, but I haven't gotten around to playing the first two yet. They were for sale at steam a while ago, but for some reason I didn't buy them.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
Re: Vault 101 (Fallout Thread)
« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2013, 13:25 »

I support making this a general Fallout thread. I will point out that I have a Fallout 2 original character to emphasize my support.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2013, 13:26 »

Changed it for you guys.  :-D

I worry that if I upgrade I'll have to reinstall everything and itunes is being a dick about that kind of thing.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2013, 13:27 »

Well first, since you are on PC, are you running any mods? Are you running the latest patch version? If so, have you tried the unofficial patch available on Curse? Do you tab in an out of the game for whatever reason. That can cause crashes too. Ultimately Fallout 3 is a pretty buggy game, especially on PC. So I'm sad to say that crashes are just going to happen. If it is something that happens regularly though it's probably an indication of something that should be addressed.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2013, 13:35 »

are you running any mods?
Nope, I like vanilla GOTY edition FO3

Are you running the latest patch version?
according to Steam yes

If so, have you tried the unofficial patch available on Curse?
I will have to check that out when I get home.  If you can provide a link so I dont spend too much time stumbling around on the internet I'd appreciate it.  8-)

Do you tab in an out of the game for whatever reason.
sometimes but not during the 10-20 minutes of gameplay per session before the crashes.

Ultimately Fallout 3 is a pretty buggy game, especially on PC. So I'm sad to say that crashes are just going to happen. If it is something that happens regularly though it's probably an indication of something that should be addressed.
exactly.  :-(

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2013, 15:30 »

I've spent way too many hours of my life roaming the wastes, jacking all the loot and prying open every tin in an abandoned ruin.

I mean it's to the point where I see abandoned buildings and I'm all "oh man let's search 'em!"
But Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel is awful. It's not like it's *entirely* out of style for the series, but it's not a good game. Be aware.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2013, 16:12 »

Fallout Tactics is a pretty underrated game too.

I played FO3 again... maybe six months ago? I struck me that while it's really fun, it is not nearly as good as New Vegas. The world is less interesting and varied, the story isn't even close (I don't care about the FO3 father), and the gameplay lacks a bit of upgrades (crafting, hardcore mode, iron sights)

Modwise, I didn't get much. Here's the ones I found really helpful:

Unofficial Patch - necessary for all Bethsoft games. This version is the most recent one at the nexus, 3 years fresher than the old one. It has a ton of improvements, and consolidates a bunch of fixes and upgrades. Highly recommended.

Fellout - there's a green light over the entire game. This takes it away. The game looks a lot better, though not as radiated.

DC interiors - replaces most of the boarded up houses in DC with houses you can enter. They generally only contain trash and some low amounts of cash, food and water, but it gives a lot of realism to the world

Windowed borderless gaming - neat little app that makes the game take up the entire screen while still being in windowed mode. This makes alt-tabbing work like it should! As an extra bonus, it works for any game!

If you're interested in more, check the top list from the nexus here.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2013, 18:22 »

I've heard of fellout but decided not to get it because I kind of like the radiated green look.  Is it just me or does NV kind of have a brown filter compared to FO:3's green?

DC interiors is interesting.  I wonder if the unofficial patch will fix my crashing problems.  I hope so.

I do have nexus mods as I did mod skyrim and FO:NV.

as for the FO3 vs FO:NV jibber jabber:
FO:NV is fun and I love the dystopic future western flavor of it. I went total cowboy, NCR ranger, all over the place and loved the honest hearts DLC.  The armor, guns, and hats you get from it was great!  I never finished the main questline (I tried once when I had it on xbox but it kept crashing at the hoover damn battle).  Havnt tried lonesome Road, deadmoney was frustrating, and Old World Blues was tough but rather boring to me.  I loved the world and a lot of the characters.  Wish i could have romanced some of them (like skyrim) particularly Cass.  The party system was great (me, boone, and EDI cleaned up the place!) and there is just so much going on with it.

FO:3 is a different flavor.  It is more 1950s nuke-punk and it probably helps that I am familiar with the locals as I live and work there every day IRL.  Actually live near Vault 112.  Being able to traverse my real stomping grounds in the DMV in a post nuclear apocalypse is amazing.  Dog meat is great too.  I also love the fact (and this is my theory on FO:3) that without having played 1 and 2, fallout 3 is the east coast mash up of those main story lines.  In fallout 1 you save the waste from the super mutants fix the water source of your vault, in fallout 2 you save the waste from the enclave.  Fallout 3 you do FO1 by the end of the first half of the game and FO2 by the second half of the game and do the water part from FO1. Another interesting note; in FO:3 I rarely used companions (kept dog meat home most of the time so he wouldnt die!) until Fawks shows up but I actually felt like we connected.  For the most part I was the Lone Wanderer.  Exploring and fighting on my own. It was more mad max lone wolf stuff whereas NV was more about putting together a posse and riding into town to help (or so I saw them both). 

I will say there really wasnt many characters that stood out in FO:3 compared to Vegas which is a missed opportunity.  In FO:NV I loved the characters and actually wished my character could romance someone or play cards with them.  In 3, the thought never really occurred to me.  I was alone.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2013, 00:36 »

I also prefer NV over FO:3. This is supported by the fact, that I played through FO:3 once, while I played through NV at least 3 times. In a row. I basically always made a sneaky character and used sniper rifles whenever possible. It's great fun to kill an entire village of legion soldiers without them even noticing you. :-D

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2013, 02:05 »

I've heard of fellout but decided not to get it because I kind of like the radiated green look.  Is it just me or does NV kind of have a brown filter compared to FO:3's green?

You are absolutely correct, and there's mods to fix the NV brown. I'd give fellout a go just to see the difference, and turn it off if it's not your thing.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #14 on: 23 Oct 2013, 04:31 »

I don't think you can "fix" an intentional detail which is meant do add to the to tone. Though I understand it might annoy your eyes or playing on a plasma screen you might be worried about a burned tinge.

Fallout NV feels a lot more like the first two so I prefer it to 3 but I love them all so much. I get incredibly attached to the companions, I'd travel with as many as allowed in the first two. If I could I'd travel with Rex and ED-E because non-humans companions are the best thing to me. I like the human/mutant companions as well but robots and dogs are robots and dogs!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #15 on: 23 Oct 2013, 08:54 »

I see that the link to the unofficial patch was already provided. Sorry that I said Curse instead of Nexus. The other modding site that I visit and I typed it out without thinking or checking. Hopefully it will fix your problem, I know how annoying those crashes can be.

In the FO3 vs FO:NV debate I am a bit of an odd duck. I love a lot of the technical innovations in New Vegas... but I find the environment and storyline of 3 much better. The Capital Wasteland just feels to me more like a post apocalyptic world then the Mojave does. The DLC for New Vegas has an interesting storyline running through it, but other than that the story just makes me feel meh. I can't get behind any of the main factions (NCR, The Legion or House), the side quests most of the time just feel like busy work and I just don't feel as engaged as I do with FO3. I have to be honest never finished New Vegas, because usually by the time I get a character to Vegas I am just feeling bored of it all and want to go back and play FO3 again....

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #16 on: 23 Oct 2013, 08:57 »

Is it worth trying out the first two after playing 3 and NV? Or will I be spoiled by the technical advances of the last two?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #17 on: 23 Oct 2013, 08:59 »

I will say it's worth playing them, as long as you are not expecting them to be anywhere at all like FO3 or NV. They are totally different kinds of games, not shooter RPGs, but top down isometric adventure games. And yes, they are decades old and look and feel like it. But good games none the less.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #18 on: 23 Oct 2013, 09:02 »

Top down? Eh...wait, is there any combat at all?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #19 on: 23 Oct 2013, 09:28 »

Yes, there is still a bunch of combat. It's turn based though, not first person shooting.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #20 on: 23 Oct 2013, 09:29 »

Interesting! Are the two connected, or does it not matter if I play 1 or 2 first?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #21 on: 23 Oct 2013, 10:01 »

That I can't really answer, as I've never finished either of them. They are different stories, different characters and all of that. You start off from different vaults. But there may be some interconnection later on. 2 is not a continuation of 1 though.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #22 on: 23 Oct 2013, 11:55 »

Turn based combat on a hexagonal grid. You could look at some images or check out some let's plays on youtube.

They're pretty good. Obsidian has always been at their best when they got to write big stories in big worlds. They've got a lot of details that is reminiscent of the olden days - primarily in that they kinda expect you to have a paper manual to give you a grip of the controls. Also, unlike FO3 and NV, you can definitely mess up on character creation, and end up with a bad character. So if you're playing them for the first time, ask a friendly neighbour for some general tips (don't go looking at guides if you don't want stuff spoiled!)

Warning while the world turned, 3 new realities has emerged. You may wish to embrace the new world order.

They're related - the second one is set some 80-100 years after the first one, with a partially overlapping area and some characters returning (ghouls and super mutants, they're the only ones that live as long). The little town you get to in the start of the first game is the centre of a little nation in the second (one that grows to become the New California Republic central to New Vegas), and the events of the first game are (vaguely) remembered and mythicized.

Gameplay-wise they are very similar - the technological leap from 1 to 2 is about the same as from 3 to NV. The great jump in the series is from 2 to 3, with 10 years between them (1998 to 2008). Both should be played with the restoration mods (Fallout Update mod and Fallout 2 restoration projects), that brings back content that was planned, and put on the disc, but was cut due to lack of time.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #24 on: 23 Oct 2013, 15:54 »

Snalin, that's a a great screenshot you picked.  :laugh:

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #25 on: 24 Oct 2013, 01:41 »

Yeah, that's a rare random encounter, isn't it? I can't quite remember, it's been a while.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #26 on: 24 Oct 2013, 01:45 »

Damnit, you make me regret not buying the games when they were on sale at steam even more. They were only a few bucks, why didn't I buy them?

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #27 on: 24 Oct 2013, 04:02 »

$10 for each of them on GOG!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #28 on: 24 Oct 2013, 11:44 »

I uploaded some of those mods snalin and I was able to get through the prologue without a crash so far.  One of the mods is funky and makes some character models show up as blocky with pieces of skin replaced by black smudges.  That happened to me in NV once and I ended up having to uninstall it and remove all files for in manually to get it out last time.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #29 on: 24 Oct 2013, 16:06 »

Huh, strange. Try activating them one at a time to find the culprit.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #30 on: 27 Oct 2013, 18:46 »

one was deactivated for some reason.  Reactivated it and everything looks fine now.

During my new play through I plan to explore DC more.  A question to the community.  there are some small "moral decisions" in the game.  One of the firsts ones you encounter (other than "the bomb") is what to do with the queen in greyditch.  Is it better to destroy the queen or use those chems the doctor wants to use?  What is your reasoning for either decision?

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #31 on: 28 Oct 2013, 05:18 »

Yes, there is still a bunch of combat. It's turn based though, not first person shooting.

Huh, I almost never set combat to real-time in FO3 or NV - turn based feels a lot more intuitive (and often necessary) in those games.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #32 on: 28 Oct 2013, 08:24 »

Wait, you can set combat to turn-based in 3/NV? Also what do you mean set it to real-time, wasn't it that by default?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #33 on: 28 Oct 2013, 10:26 »

I'm not sure what Wombat was talking about there... I was talking about turn based combat in Fallout 1 and 2. There is no turn based combat in 3 or New Vegas... Just VATS.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #34 on: 28 Oct 2013, 14:25 »

I think you *might* have had some sort of vaguely 'real time' combat option in 1 and 2, but I don't remember for certain.

Seems like I remember something odd like that in there though.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #35 on: 28 Oct 2013, 14:26 »

You have that in Tactics, so you might be thinking of that. 1 and 2 instantly pushes you into turn based mode whenever someone goes hostile.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #36 on: 29 Oct 2013, 07:30 »

I'm not sure what Wombat was talking about there... I was talking about turn based combat in Fallout 1 and 2. There is no turn based combat in 3 or New Vegas... Just VATS.

Sorry, yeah, I meant VATS. It's been a couple years since I've played either. I'd argue that VATS is essentially a turn based system, however. What I originally meant was, I definitely don't consider F3 or FNV to have FPS combat as someone else suggested, because playing them in true real time (that is, sans VATS) would be extremely challenging, and as far as I'm concerned you can't be an FPS AND allow players to repeatedly pause the game to choose how and where to attack enemies.

My own semantic opinions aside, I think Fallout 1 and 2 (especially 2) are well worth playing. They do feel dated, sure, but in many ways they're more complex games than 3 or NV (which, I should point out, are two of my favorite games - and is it bad that I kinda prefer NV?) and either way they're among the very best isometric RPGs ever made.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #37 on: 29 Oct 2013, 07:40 »

I rarely used vats in FO:3 unless I was in a tight spot, or ust for funsies to see the slow-mo cinematic cut scene of a super mutant's head exploding!  For new vegas I did as I traversed the mojave to make sure nothing snuck up on me.  I would spam the shit out of the vats button to make sure I didn't get ambushed by Caesar's men or the dreaded cazadors!

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #38 on: 29 Oct 2013, 08:59 »

I felt like VATS was cheating at first...but then I ran into a super mutant carrying a gatling laser.  And then I ran across a deathclaw warren...

And cazadors...dear god, deathclaws are preferable to those hellspawn.

One thing I hate though is the kill cam.  Yeah, it's cool and all watching a bullet travel into an enemy's head and watching it explode (or rarely, decapitate), but not when I'm getting fucking swarmed!
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #39 on: 29 Oct 2013, 09:40 »

VATS was so broken in 3. You were basically invincible for the duration of it, so if you had an incoming rocket, you could just enter VATS right before it hit, shoot a 10mm at an enemy a couple of times, and take no damage from the rocket.

Before you got the kill=full AP perk, I can't really see it being possible to rely on only VATS - if you don't kill everything with the first couple of headshots, you're pretty much done for.

Did anyone try the mods that replaced VATS with bullet time?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #40 on: 29 Oct 2013, 10:48 »

There is an option to turn off the kill cam. I know I always used it after the first couple of times... Repeated death animations get boring. Especially as you said, when you are getting swarmed. It should be noted too that Fallout 3/NV isn't actually a First person shooter either. It's an RPG wrapped in a FPS wrapper. But the actual mechanics on whether you hit your target or not are based on your combat skill, not your aim. Especially in 3, where you could miss a target you had dead to rights, crosshairs on their head from a dozen feet away and watch the bullets veer off. Or conversely, when you hit level 100 you apparently load your guns with homing missiles... New Vegas added iron sights and better aim vs dice mechanics hitting, but it was still there. I actually tend to shoot a lot more without VATS in NV than I do in FO3, where I abuse it ridiculously. Especially at higher levels with the right perks you can have virtually unlimited action points (killing a target in VATS refreshes your action points with on perk). Your fights tend to go from 'Mad Max' to 'Matrix' at that point...

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #41 on: 29 Oct 2013, 12:23 »

So how about favorite weapons?  Mine would have to be the mundane but ever trustworthy laser rifle, closely followed by, of all weapons, the hunting rifle.  I think I used that weapon in FO3 more than any other weapons combined.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #42 on: 29 Oct 2013, 12:38 »

I don't remember what I used mainly in FO:3 but I know I specialized in Energy Weapons. But in NV, once I have my Anti-Material Rifle I rarely use anything else. Killing pretty much everything with one shot from afar is fun!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #43 on: 29 Oct 2013, 12:38 »

for FO:3 the Wazer Wiffle/gatling laser. NV the tommy gun or that ranger lever action rifle whose name escapes me.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #44 on: 29 Oct 2013, 12:52 »

I prefer to shoot from a distance myself... When I could with a sniper rifle/anti-material rifle. Deathclaw. Them's good huntin'. For every day use I stuck with the trusty old hunting rifle mostly in both games, though in NV I've replaced that mostly now with a marksman carbine. In FO3 I would switch out the hunting rifle with a plasma rifle near the end game, when they become the default weapon pretty much... When the enemy gets up close I switch over to a combat rifle in FO3, or whatever best pistol that I have in NV.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #45 on: 29 Oct 2013, 13:31 »

I guess the plasma rifle in 03, and definitely the alien pistol in NV.  That thing was ridiculous, and incredibly fun to use.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #46 on: 29 Oct 2013, 14:48 »

I'm a gunslinger, damnit!

Pistol GO

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #47 on: 29 Oct 2013, 14:51 »

I'm a terrible cheater, so I gave myself the Mysterious Stranger's Magnum. (My excuse is I play for story and to wander, so why let dying get in the way?)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #48 on: 29 Oct 2013, 15:29 »

For NV it was definitely the Gobi Campaign scout rifle. Unique sniper rifle that you find located just above a Legion camp, on a little ledge. Yeah.

FO3 it was the Experimental MIRV, because that thing was funny as fuck. If you didn't find it, it's a Fat Man that fires 8 mini nukes at once. It's pretty fantastic.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #49 on: 29 Oct 2013, 15:55 »

The Rock-It Launcher is also pretty damned funny.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up