THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vault 101 (Fallout Thread)  (Read 151549 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: Vault 101 (Fallout Thread)
« Reply #600 on: 08 Jun 2018, 21:56 »

I love how a lot of Fallout's plot can be boiled down to "I'm looking for X":
Fallout: I'm looking for a water chip
Fallout 2: I'm looking for a GECK
Fallout 3: I'm looking for my father
Fallout 4: I'm looking for my son
Fallout NV: I'm looking for the bastard that SHOT ME IN THE FACE! (also a poker chip or whatever...)

Just saw this on Imgur and thought of you:

Also: Fallout 76 was announced.  Supposedly it takes place in West Virginia.  I do not know much but have heard it follows a highway and Vault 76 which is one of the few non-social experimental vaults.  not sure about anything else outside of rumors and speculations.

There was also a rumor that Fallout 3 will have an anniversary edition released.  Which would be nice, considering I started this thread complaining about how it doesn't work well on modern PCs without  some tweaking (see first post in this thread).
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #601 on: 09 Jun 2018, 01:43 »

Rumour is that Fallout 76 will be online multiplayer only.

Fuck that into the sun, thanks.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #602 on: 09 Jun 2018, 14:36 »

I heard a similar rumor and hope Bethesda isn't jumping on the battle royale bandwagon.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #603 on: 09 Jun 2018, 15:59 »

I kinda doubt it, I've never known Bethesda to be quick to respond to new trends. The Elder Scrolls card game was pretty late to the party as well, and from their description it seems like they're going for something like a survival sandbox a la DayZ or Rust. We all know that bandwagon stopped moving a long time ago, so they better have something really good to show for it.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #604 on: 09 Jun 2018, 16:04 »

All that is known so far is that Fallout 76:
- Will be set in West Virginia.
- Will be set 20 years after the bombs dropped.
- Vault 76 was one of the few control vaults, meaning they worked as advertised and did not serve as one of the sociological tests by Vault-Tec.

So while the online content is still heavily rumoured, we'll likely find out Bethesda's intentions by the end of today, as they'll be revealing more at an E3 showcase today.

But yeah, I play games to get away from people. I do not want to be exploring the Post-Apocalyptic nuclear wasteland and see XxX_Teabagger69_XxX coming around the corner. Because that little git is getting a tire iron upside the face.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #605 on: 09 Jun 2018, 17:14 »

I really do hope FO3 gets that anniversary remake. Skyrim is the dead horse that's been beaten so bad its a smear on the ground. Re-release the others dammit!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #606 on: 09 Jun 2018, 19:51 »

To manage rumor mongering... We really don't know much of anything, aside from it takes place in/around Vault 76, which is a DC area vault, and a control vault set to open 20 years after the bombs dropped. In the trailer they played a song that talked about West Virginia (Country Road by John Denver) and the pip boy date said it was 2102, 25 years after the bombs dropped. What that extra five years means.... Nobody knows.  Until BE3 tomorrow that's all that's known.

Now, a reliable source for leaks, Jason Schreier from Kotaku, did post the name of the game a couple of days before the teaser live stream and then trailer dropped. He's also the guy who leaked the Fallout 4 script about 6 months before Fallout 4 was announced and it turned out to be 100% accurate. So his is the only leaks/rumors I put any stock in at this point. He's said that it is going to have some online component but is not an online only or MMO game. It will have a focus on building elements as in such games like Rust, but it will still be a Bethesda game with a strong story and quests and all that we expect.

All of the other rumors (MMO, online only, Battle Royale game, No mods only Creation Club) all came out only after the F76 trailer dropped. I ignore them because they are pretty clear attention grabs by people who have no information. They just want to say something shocking or pulled out of their asses to get attention.

My guess is that they are going to be giving an enhanced version of the FO4 settlement building system. Hopefully with better settlement defense setups so you actually have to have a good defense setup and everything with be destructible. No just ringing  your base with an unbroken wall and calling it done. The online part is supposedly them testing for multiplayer functionality. I would guess it's probably going to be more like the Souls series of games, where you can choose to invite other players into your world to help you with a tough fight. Or maybe even they can attack your base if they want to add PVP. That is 100% speculation on my part though.

Also of note, a little over a month ago SteamDB showed that there are new DLC coming for Fallout 3 and New Vegas. When the same sort of thing happened with FO4 it was the High Res texture pack. The FO3 one is supposed to be about 6gb in size. No idea on the NV on. At a guess? Not a full remaster like Skyrim Special Edition since that was a separate program entirely. I'm thinking they will be high res packs and hopefully coding to make it easier to run the games under modern OS/systems. Probably folding in the mods like the 4gb patch or similar code into the DLC and releasing them as a free anniversary DLC.

Those are my guesses anyway. Also they've been dropping hints that they still have things that haven't been revealed yet for the show. I'm not sure what they have left that could be considered major after doing reveals on Rage 2 and Fallout 76. Starfield is a possibility I supposed but rumors are that's still a couple of years out. It could be Elder Scrolls 6 but they've been pretty adamant that is still in pre development in interviews over the last year so.... If it is another big announcement for a new game I can't think of what it is.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #607 on: 10 Jun 2018, 01:09 »

I seem to remember that the opening of Fallout 2 confirmed that the Enclave slaughtered the residents of the Control Vaults when they automatically opened up. So, the player character in Fallout 76 may be the Sole Survivor of Vault 76, leaving the Vault's med-bay after getting over a nasty case of radiation poisoning to find everyone else dead. They are now forced to complete the Vault's mission - to reclaim the WV Wastelands - alone apart from whatever local allies he/she can recruit. Basically, I'm expecting Fallout 76 to be similar to the Fallout 4 Minuteman arc and base-builder subgame as a stand-alone with a new single-player arc.

If the rumoured MMO mode is true, then it may be possible to assemble 'clans' of Vault 76 survivors to work together to carry out the mission instead.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #608 on: 10 Jun 2018, 09:06 »

See, its comments like that that don't really add anything save for the rumour mongering.

Bethesda always plays things close to its chest when games are revealed.

Vault 76 was a control vault on the East Coast, when the Enclave's main operations were on the West Coast. So knowing that Vault 76 was a control vault, it would have had a population of approximately 500 people waiting 20 years for the doors to open, though the game indicates that the events will be happening in 2102, 25 years after the bombs dropped.

Chances are, the player character will be a scout, sent out to explore and report on the changed landscape of the nuclear wasteland. Something might happen to the Vault or it might lockdown, leaving the player character to find out what happened or to get back in. Conversely, opening the Vault will more than leave it open to raiders assaulting the location. Chances are, if 76 is going to see more of a focus on base building, it will be about exploring the area, gathering resources and building defences against the raiders.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #609 on: 10 Jun 2018, 13:41 »

Screenshots have come out just before the Bethesda E3 showcase.
- A Vault-Tec memorial park for of 300 years of America.
- The business end of a giant wheel digger, possibly similar to the Bagger 293.
- Ruins of a town, with a large ogre like creature walking around the town square.
- A university campus with a version of the Vault-Tec mascot dressed in graduation clothes as a statue.
- Large areas of forest that look as though they are just beginning to recover.
- A deathclaw-sized creature with wings flying in from the sun (presumably so people can't make out too many details, other than the fact that it has a pair of wings and large claw legs).

TheEvilDog

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #611 on: 10 Jun 2018, 15:35 »

Sure doesn't look multiplayer only to me.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #612 on: 10 Jun 2018, 15:54 »

Looks interesting. Unlike the other games, this one seems to be "Okay so, instead of a Vault Tech Experiment vault, what if the Vault Tech marketed plan actually worked?" So now we're rebuilding civilization after the apocalypse. Perhaps we're fighting mainly mutant fauna, raiders, and old world tech to build the new world?  I am excited.  I probably should finish FO4 at some point.

I wonder how Vault 76's new civilization will stack up with the rest of the East Coast canon since it takes place a hundred years in the past?

- A deathclaw-sized creature with wings flying in from the sun (presumably so people can't make out too many details, other than the fact that it has a pair of wings and large claw legs).
Dude, its West Virginia.  That's the friggin Mothman!

« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2018, 17:00 by LeeC »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #613 on: 11 Jun 2018, 03:03 »

Well, its been confirmed that 76 will be online only survival game.

This was a series where nuking a town was considered to be one of the worst acts possible, Fallout 76 now treats firing nuclear missiles at other players as a bit of fun.

So yeah, I think I'll be skipping this entry entirely.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #614 on: 11 Jun 2018, 03:14 »

FWIW, I blame iD Software. Bethesda consulted with them about the combat portion of the recent Fallout games (starting with Fallout 4) and I think that their deliriously "Let's blow up everything! WOOHOO!" mindset from DooM has infected the whole culture of the Fallout development team!

That said, no-one has asked for a Fallout-themed version of Fortnite: Battle Royale. That this game is coming out just when Fortnite's player numbers seem to have gone past their peak might come back and bite BGS in the butt.
~~~~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #615 on: 11 Jun 2018, 03:22 »

Online only, is it? Cool that's a hard pass from me.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #616 on: 11 Jun 2018, 06:46 »

Yup.. Online only, appears to be always PVP and you can drop nukes on  your neighbors. Unless I hear more about this that counters those things like offering a real single play experience and not just playing solo online I won't be getting it. It's going to be griefing central.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2018, 09:20 by Neko_Ali »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #617 on: 11 Jun 2018, 07:06 »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #618 on: 11 Jun 2018, 08:46 »

I'll be honest, if I were someone who enjoyed playing multiplayer games, I'd be more than happy to play alongside some people on here.

But I don't. I play games to get away from people. (And I would try to build a settlement into a cave, just to have a stupidly large wall blocking the entrance so no one can get in)

The only saving grace I've seen is that apparently the game space people will run around in will see dozens rather than hundreds of people.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #619 on: 14 Jun 2018, 07:13 »

I might end up trying it as there is a story involved and they said you can play it single player but it may be harder without friends to co-op with.

in other news:
Hearts of Iron 4 has a Fallout Mod that looks sick AF! It is called "Old World Blues" and it takes place in 2275 (around the time FO3 takes place) and is exclusively in the west coast area.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1303741106

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #620 on: 20 Jun 2018, 10:52 »

So, first off, let me say that I'm not trying to convince anyone they should buy 76 if that's not their cup of tea.  Hey, it's your money, your time, do your thing.  No judgment.

I'm personally pretty excited for it.  My friends and I are all talking about what kind of roles we'd like to play and what a settlement that we can all work on could look like.  I also have a lot of concerns, but they're outweighed right now by the fact that I can play a fallout game with friends. 

One conversation I had with a friend of mine that is NOT excited for it went something like:
Friend: I'm extremely disappointed.  No mods, no human npc's, and always online.
Me: They just announced there will be mods.  And it's only 20 years after the war's end.  There are ghoul factions, rather than humans, which makes sense in that setting.  And you play Destiny and the Division - they're both always online for everything.
Friend:  Destiny and the Division aren't the same as 76, they have human npc's.
Me:....

I get that people don't want this and I understand why.  I see griefing as being a potentially huge problem, but from the interviews I've seen, I'm not as worried about it as I initially was.  I don't see a battle royale in this in particular, so I'm not really seeing that comparison, but maybe I just misunderstand.  That's possible.  Coming so soon after the release of FO4, and learning that this was the FO4 multiplayer mode that was removed because it wasn't ready (tbr: finished at all) I'm not surprised at what it is.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's good for the simple fact that I'm going to be putting my money down on it.  I'm trusting Bethesda to do it right.  We'll see if that's a good idea or a bad one in November.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #621 on: 20 Jun 2018, 12:14 »

Interviews given in the week of E3 have calmed some of my worries about the game. Not all of them though. It is nice that when you get killed you won't lose your items or progress or anything and CAMPs can be easily and quickly repaired when they get damaged. But all they've really said about anti-griefing measures is that you'll be able to respawn away from the people who killed you if you get tired of fighting. Pete's called it a 'challenge based system' but really hasn't gone into details what that's supposed to mean. And from what they've said it seems implied to me that they're more concerned about encouraging people to play raiders and think their systems will keep people from griefing which... Yeah as someone who's played a lot of online games is the exact opposite of what the problem is. There will be no shortage of murder  hobos, psychos and griefers who just want to kill you for no other reason than it's fun to them for whatever reason. Heck, when/if I play I'll probably make a specific raider character just because sometimes I want to play the bad girl. I still would like to hear a better way to prevent people from constantly attacking you when you're near other than 'well just go somewhere else for a while'. It works, but counter productive if you're just trying to get a quest done and they're camped near the building you have to go. I've yet to hear that addressed.

No human NPCs doesn't bother me. There are plenty of ways to give out quests, and it does very much sound like they plan to have quests and things to do, more than most survival games which rarely extend beyond 'Let us teach you how to play, then go do what you want'. Nukes are going to be a tool mostly, not a major threat. I'm worried how people can set up settlements if our CAMPs disappear while we're offline. But I put that in the 'yet to be revealed category'.

I'm not fully on board yet, but I'm likely to get it when Beta gets closer.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #622 on: 21 Jun 2018, 19:21 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #623 on: 24 Jul 2018, 18:59 »

Interesting trailer for Fallout Miami, a mod for FO4

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #624 on: 25 Jul 2018, 02:35 »

As always, it seems that the fans understand what makes Fallout great and understand what they want far better than the people who ought to be making money by doing exactly the same thing.
~~~~

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #625 on: 25 Jul 2018, 07:29 »

To be fair fans have been screaming for online/multiplayer Fallout since 3 was released. And 76 started out as a side 'can we even do this' project that turned into a full on release when they realized 'yes, we can actually'. There will always be a side of the fan base that just wants more of the same, and that's fine. But from a design and programming stand point I can understand why they want to break out and do something different once and a while, rather than repeat formulaic Elder Scrolls and Fallout games in a cycle. I think there's room enough for big fan projects like Miami and spinoffs like 76. Without them we wouldn't be seeing any new Fallout for years after all.

My biggest issues with 76 is that whoever has been in charge of their PR department for the last couple of years and some of the people in planning seem to have the idiot ball in a two handed death grip. Ever since the disastrous planning and announcement of Creation Club. It was a bad plan, they refused to listen to how much the fan base hated the idea and tried to pretend significant issues didn't exist by renaming them. It's not 'paid mods' it's small content addons that you have to pay for created by community modders. 76 isn't a multiplayer survival game. It's a game where you play online with people in a survival setting where you have to fight other people, gather resources and build bases. PvP and griefing won't be major concern. Just you have to deal with running into people who may want to kill you and there's no way to opt out of always on PvP.

They keep wanting to assure us that all the concerns people raised won't be a problem. But when asked for any kind of information how they are going to stop these problems from happening they tell us 'Well, we're still working on that'.  Then there's Pete and Todd giving sometimes contradictory answers to questions in interviews... Probably because the game is in a constant state of change. It's now looking like the Beta program is only coming out a very short time before release, unless that gets pushed back. Which means the only beta testing people will be able to provide feedback on before launch is server stress testing...

Much like with the Creation Club, 76 is shaping up to be a poorly handled and implemented shit show that is dividing the fan base into those that hate it with a passion and those who are all in on it and ignoring the flaws. And I'm expecting like with Creation Club the launch is going to be insanely terrible in so many ways and be ignored by many. Then maybe 6-12 months later it will start to get it's feet under it and begin to deliver on some of the promises they were making. By which time many people will have already moved on. And could have been avoided if Bethesda hadn't ignored their customers, ie the ones paying or not paying for their product, and held off on release a little longer until they had something worth releasing.

Of course, CC is a different boat than a game release, and honestly I think a lot of stuff they won't even know needs to be fixed or improved until they start getting real players in. What they've revealed so far really makes me think they've developed this game too much in their own bubble and are dismissing people when they say 'Look, it's an online game. Griefing is going to be a real problem and what you have said so far just isn't going to slow it down.'

TheEvilDog

« Reply #626 on: 25 Jul 2018, 07:33 »

Interesting trailer for Fallout Miami, a mod for FO4

I follow one of the concept artists on Tumblr. Some of what's going into that game, I mean wow.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #627 on: 20 Oct 2018, 06:45 »

Saw this on imgur as an example of the fallout 76 multiplayer. Well I just had to share it.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up