THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 06:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, what crazyness can we expect from the gang this week?

Dale and Marigold lip lock by Friday
- 33 (15.5%)
Dale walks in on Marigold in the shower by Friday
- 16 (7.5%)
Dale lures Marigold to the Alliance side (They have Cookies)
- 10 (4.7%)
Dora finally admits the secret ingrediant to CoD Coffee - Spiders
- 20 (9.4%)
Tai proposes to Dora
- 10 (4.7%)
Dora proposes to Tai
- 3 (1.4%)
Angus proposes to Faye - and she accepts at his Hospital bedside
- 17 (8%)
Marten meets a new Girlfriend - and she's a Marine
- 23 (10.8%)
Pintsize
- 40 (18.8%)
Waffles with Spathe Ham
- 19 (8.9%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 22 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2568-2572 (4 November - 8 November 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 56169 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

...except maybe as a character. 

Clueless and zany is fun(ny), but a little unsatisfying...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

We're beginning to see more to her, though.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

I always thought "friend" refers to someone that you have a deeper relationship with than just hanging out sometimes and finding nice when talking to them. More like knowing them well, having them alongside you for important things in your life, trusting them to support you in difficult situations and also trusting them with more information than a simple acquaintance - discussing your emotions and what goes on inside you with them.

That's what I would call a good friend, not just a friend. Perhaps some of the confusion here is that some people are using "friend" and "good friend" to mean what others would call "acquaintance" and "friend".

Naw, she was clearly going to say transformer!

So it's really Claire who's secretly a Volkswagen Beetle.

Well played!  :-D

No, Marten is Emily's superior.

Marten is a lowly unskilled helper at the library. Claire is on the career track to become a librarian. Her status is way higher than his.

No, Marten is paid staff, while Claire is an unpaid intern. At the moment, his status is definitely higher than hers, although she's on track to surpass him eventually.

Well, at least Emily isn't taller than most women, underdeveloped in the chest department, aspergic, socially withdrawn, and with a mysterious past, as are many Trans and Intersex gals her age.

Now, I took this as a gentle suggestion from Zoe that perhaps Emily is Trans or Intersex too and we just haven't found out yet. Because Emily is all those things, pretty much, which would make Zoe's statement that she isn't those things either sarcasm or irony, I'm not sure which. If that's actually what she was implying, anyway; if not, then maybe it was just... humor?

Speaking as a fellow North-East Asian, Emily does not seem undeveloped to me at all.

Good point.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Wait hang on, do we know that the interns are unpaid? If so, shame on Smif! They are working a full time job, they should be being PAID for it.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Wait hang on, do we know that the interns are unpaid? If so, shame on Smif! They are working a full time job, they should be being PAID for it.

Yeah, what does Smif think it is, a major media publication?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Interns at a school library can be paid in course credit I think.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

... are you serious? Instead of money, they give you free grades?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well it counts as credit towards graduation (and on-the-job training is definitely educational), so it's basically working for scholarship money.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

If the internship is a requirement for your degree, that may be incentive enough, without any pay needed.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

These days a lot of companies won't hire someone straight out of college unless they've done multiple unpaid internships. Big change from when I was in school - I was able to work the whole time I was in college and get out with no student loan debt. Now you still have to work, but for free, and pile up huge amounts of debt while you're doing it. Unless you have rich parents, of course.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Having rich parents also means it's more likely that they have an in at a big company, so you can get a fairly high-paying job after you graduate! :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I suppose it makes sense for a company to prefer to hire people who have already demonstrated that they're prepared to work hard for no pay.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

What a terrible mindset we've accepted as a society :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Don't know how it works for sure, but I would think if they're grad students in library science, this would be part of their graduate assistantship, in which case they would be getting paid for it (not particularly well, but it's a lot better than nothing).
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I had that basically my last semester of university. Instead of teaching us anything in class, we were expected to find an internship for the last three months. They would not help us find one. It wasn't working with the school, which was a tiny technical college anyway. So basically, we were supposed to pay the school for the privilege of finding our own unpaid jobs. If you didn't they gave you an unsupervised project as a grade that basically amounted to busy work.

Yeaaaah... I didn't have a lot of respect for my university. And this was after the semester on computers where I paid then to become a sort of teacher's assistant. I already knew all of the (very basic) computer instruction they were teaching us, so half the class would turn to me for help instead of the teacher....

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

people who have already demonstrated that they're prepared to work hard for no pay.

There's a word for that: slaves.  No two ways about it, modern society (in Britain as well as America) is reintroducing slavery under the guise of helping people (work experience is good, right?).

Except that responsible slave owners fed and housed their slaves, and these modern slaves don't even get that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

people who have already demonstrated that they're prepared to work hard for no pay.

There's a word for that: slaves.  No two ways about it, modern society (in Britain as well as America) is reintroducing slavery under the guise of helping people (work experience is good, right?).

Except that responsible slave owners fed and housed their slaves, and these modern slaves don't even get that.

In the freelance world, it's called "exposure." As in, you can die of it.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Tempting to laught loudly at that. 

Through chattering teeth, of course. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

It's sorta funny the first few dozen times you get the offer.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Well, at least Emily isn't taller than most women, underdeveloped in the chest department, aspergic, socially withdrawn, and with a mysterious past, as are many Trans and Intersex gals her age.

Now, I took this as a gentle suggestion from Zoe that perhaps Emily is Trans or Intersex too and we just haven't found out yet. Because Emily is all those things, pretty much, which would make Zoe's statement that she isn't those things either sarcasm or irony, I'm not sure which. If that's actually what she was implying, anyway; if not, then maybe it was just... humor?

I was being deliberately ambiguous. I will remain so. Let's just say that there were multiple valid interpretations of what I said, and I may have meant all of them. Is Emily TS or IS? Does it matter? Would it matter if we never knew whether she was or was not? Is it just that women differ, be they standard factory model or customised after delivery? What does our interpretation of what I wrote tell us about ourselves? What does it say about me?

I love the ambiguity in language. It allows you to express several mutually contradictory ideas at the same time, all of which may be useful communication. The few times I commit poetry, I make use of such properties, heterodyning meaning.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Now I'm pretty sure she's not a Heterodyne. I mean, yeah, she has the cowlick, but with a surname of Azuma? Unless one of Bill and Barry's great grandparents did some touring of Asia, I don't think she's related to Agatha.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Unless one of Bill and Barry's great grandparents did some touring of Asia, I don't think she's related to Agatha.
I thought someone would get the reference.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

Trilobite ice-cream for everybody  :-D
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up