THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 23:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, what crazyness can we expect from the gang this week?

Dale and Marigold lip lock by Friday
- 33 (15.5%)
Dale walks in on Marigold in the shower by Friday
- 16 (7.5%)
Dale lures Marigold to the Alliance side (They have Cookies)
- 10 (4.7%)
Dora finally admits the secret ingrediant to CoD Coffee - Spiders
- 20 (9.4%)
Tai proposes to Dora
- 10 (4.7%)
Dora proposes to Tai
- 3 (1.4%)
Angus proposes to Faye - and she accepts at his Hospital bedside
- 17 (8%)
Marten meets a new Girlfriend - and she's a Marine
- 23 (10.8%)
Pintsize
- 40 (18.8%)
Waffles with Spathe Ham
- 19 (8.9%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 22 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2568-2572 (4 November - 8 November 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 56161 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

That's weird.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Maybe his point is we're all weird.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Exactly. Everyone is weird in one way or another. So if you're not weird, that's really weird.  :psyduck:
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

See, I don't agree with that. But if you're not weird, then you're probably just boring, which is much worse.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Argh, I'm stuck in a perpetual feedback loop!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

No, I think that was more up George's alley...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If May is put to work as a tailor, now that would be mayhem.

Marten had several previous girlfriends, which was the subject of an insecurity breakdown by Dora.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

At least it's not a temporal one.
James The Kugai 

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Please, no. This is not Voyager.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

At least it's not a temporal one.
"I've got you, babe"  :roll:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I sense the Fell Hand of Marten-mom at play in this 13th Birthday Party incident.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I see her associates and friends. 

Especially the strippers. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

I sense the Fell Hand of Marten-mom at play in this 13th Birthday Party incident.

Who wouldn't enjoy a rousing game of "spin the dildo"  :lol:

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

It's unclear how many of those 27 were girls... (too tired to look up the comic, I'm sure someone else will)

Also, is the typeface in this comic different than usual?

Spiritz

• Not quite a lurker

It's unclear how many of those 27 were girls... (too tired to look up the comic, I'm sure someone else will)

Well, Marten had 5 girlfriends before Dora (or was it 4?).  Assuming 5+Dora & Padma, that would be 7.  That would be 20 other girls.  If those girls have any connection with Marten's mom, potentially 2/3 of them would actually be guys, leaving 6-7 girls.  In this case, Marten would have 13-14 girls to 13-14 guys.  Oh wait.. Steve counts.  14-15 guys.

I find trying to figure this out fascinating...  :psyduck:

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Emily did ask how many girls.  So presumably all twenty-seven girls were girls.  There may have also been an indeterminate, possibly three-figure number of guys.  (At least one, of course.)
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

or at least girls, as far as he knows

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm honestly not sure how many girls I've kissed and it's nowhere near 27, so good memory, Marten.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

That had never occurred to me. I'm not sure I want to go there.

OTOH you can go too far in the other direction. I'd never been kissed till after my 21st birthday party (incidentally, the second and last birthday party I've ever had).
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

Yep. Can't say I'm too fond of it.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Looks to me like the same font, but with the anti-aliasing done different.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Yeah, I'm much closer to the Emily side of the spectrum than the Marten side in this case. :P
And by that I mean... well... exactly two.

Still, I guess I find Emily a little bit more relatable now.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Zoe, that's not terrible. I was 20.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

hobo386

• Not quite a lurker

1)I get the feeling that Emily likes Marten (not saying it's gonna happen or trying to ship them) and this is her awkward way of showing she's interested.

2)It might just be perspective playing tricks on me, but it feels like Emily is getting taller (or is Marten getting shorter?) every time I see them.

3)I'm not really surprised by either number. Some people get a little sloppy while drunk, though in Marten's case it seems there was another reason, and in Emily's case I'd imagine the awkward+qurirky+super-tall scared off a lot of boys in high-school (and still does).

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Ummm... I have to say, I am getting rather uncomfortable as to how many people are playing the 'how many of the girls that Marten has kissed are actually guys' questions here. Emily want to know how many girls Marten had kissed. Marten said they were girls. That means they were girls. If he meant different, he would have said different. If they were trans women, they were girls. If they were drag queens in drag at the time, still referred to as girls.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Well. I'm more on the Emily side of the spectrum as well. But she's off by two.

yay me.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

You guys kinda make me feel like a man whore.... >.>;

I have kissed many pretty ladies on the mouth, and had... uh... 10-12 girlfriends... at least... stupid concussions.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

Ummm... I have to say, I am getting rather uncomfortable as to how many people are playing the 'how many of the girls that Marten has kissed are actually guys' questions here. Emily want to know how many girls Marten had kissed. Marten said they were girls. That means they were girls. If he meant different, he would have said different. If they were trans women, they were girls. If they were drag queens in drag at the time, still referred to as girls.

I have to agree. I mean, I suppose any of the individuals he kissed could have identified as something other than a woman and he may not have known, but I highly doubt that's even close to the meaning we're meant to walk away with. It also leaves room for saying someone was deliberately dishonest about their gender for the purpose of getting a kiss from a man and that is NOT an acceptable message, period.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I don't think anyone was actually thinking or intending that last bit of what I said. I was just giving a reason why I felt that line of conversation may not be something we want to continue.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico

I feel kind of bad that I wouldn't even be able to answer the question. Closer to Marten's side though than Emily's.

Like, I should probably remember that shouldn't I? But I just start going through my female friends going "have I kissed her? I can't remember? Oh yeah, that one time at that one party... how about this one... uh... maybe?"

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Well, since we're all sharing... I'm definitely closer to Emily's side than Marten's. I had a girlfriend in high school that I kissed, and that's about it. To make it worse, we never actually kissed until after we had been dating for about six months. I was afraid to make the first move, and it turned out she wasn't really that interested...

edit -- I've been reading through the archives of Dumbing of Age recently, and just realized that Amber and Ethan are like a reversed-gender analogy to me and the girlfriend I had in high school.  :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2013, 11:06 by cesium133 »

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Hmm. I don't really know how many women I've kissed. Somewhere around Marten's number, but I can't give a precise count.

I can say with certainty how many women I've kissed in the last 10 years, because it's 1. As for how many times I've kissed her in those years... Hell, it's got to be well in excess of 10,000 by now.  :-D

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I have to agree. I mean, I suppose any of the individuals he kissed could have identified as something other than a woman and he may not have known, but I highly doubt that's even close to the meaning we're meant to walk away with. It also leaves room for saying someone was deliberately dishonest about their gender for the purpose of getting a kiss from a man and that is NOT an acceptable message, period.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I don't think anyone was actually thinking or intending that last bit of what I said. I was just giving a reason why I felt that line of conversation may not be something we want to continue.

That is a worthwhile reminder.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

2)It might just be perspective playing tricks on me, but it feels like Emily is getting taller (or is Marten getting shorter?) every time I see them.
imagine the awkward+qurirky+super-tall scared off a lot of boys in high-school (and still does).

Emily's eyebrows are about level with the top of Marten's head in 2569, 2203 and 2207.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

That may be my new favorite way of measuring and comparing people's heights now...

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

How many peoplw have noticed that "kissed" is spelt with three s's in the last panel?
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I did. A few minutes ago, when I checked the size of Emily and Marten, because of the other posts.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

YourEvilExGirlfriend

• Plantmonster
  • You Left the Toilet Seat Up Again, You Bastard

I'm kind of surprised that Marten bothered to keep track? 27 is a pretty high and specific number of different ladies to have kissed. I figured most people would lose count after the first ten or twelve unless  each of those kisses actually meant something.  After an x number of drunken/joke-y kisses, those kinds of things tend to bleed into one another.

Then again, maybe he kept a tally of it somewhere. Or he had a standing count of how many girls ended up smooching him on his thirteenth birthday.  :roll:

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Or it was a scaring experience with his dominatrix mother which got burned into his pre-teen brain.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Definitely sounds like it was an ..... interesting Birthday Party.

But with Veronica as a mother, whaddaya expect??!

Emily interested in Marten?  Hmmmmm

Interesting to say the least.
James The Kugai 

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I dunno if Emily's interested. I can see Jeph teasing it just to mess with the Marten x Claire fans though (the missus included from what I recall)

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

I think she is being friendly with him, it's in line with the discussion and she seems to actually be interested for the sake of being interested rather than for romantic interests.

Unless I am off she so far has never really seemed to have any romantic interest in anyone in the group, she just seems to want to be friends...and given her awkwardness she probably doesn't have many if any friends.

YourEvilExGirlfriend

• Plantmonster
  • You Left the Toilet Seat Up Again, You Bastard

Yeah, I don't think Emily is interested in Marten either.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Yeah, but that's exactly what an evil exgirlfriend would say.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Well Emily pretty much expressly doesn't have friends outside of the comic's circle of people. When she invited everyone to the lake party, she said as much. Marten asked when the rest of Emily's friends were coming... and the only one she invited were the people from the library and anyone they wanted to invite along.

RightInTheSquishyParts

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Favorite Random Number Is 22.7

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Dayum.

But yeah I'm with Emily on this one, once wearing heels was enough.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

No earrings?  Isn't she worried they'll start to heal?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

I had a similar experience to Emily’s, except in my case it was learning to ride a bike.

NEVER.  AGAIN.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up