High on Waffles and Space Ham.
- 4 (4.6%)
Highly doubtful.
- 8 (9.2%)
Hi! My name is...
- 11 (12.6%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2573-2577 (11-15 November 2013) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 46111 times)

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Defintely both. "Cause of death: EPIC."
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Jeph would not have attracted such a diverse range of readers if he was going to set Claire up in any terrible way. Still, Emily... don't mess this up!

He might set her up for another panic attack, like when Clinton blurted out that she had snuggled with Marten. Then again, probably just to make her have another close moment with either Marten or Emily. Or maybe even Tai, IDK.
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2013, 04:40 by Lubricus »
What do you know about Pokémon?

RightInTheSquishyParts

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Favorite Random Number Is 22.7

Since this is a work of fiction and a darn-happy one at that,   here's what I hope.

SOMEONE blabbs the secret.     And it gets around.    And the VAST MAJORITY of people are like "yeah so?"   AND she finds out there are others like her all around her and it just doesn't matter.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Jeph would not have attracted such a diverse range of readers if he was going to set Claire up in any terrible way. Still, Emily... don't mess this up!

He might set her up for another panic attack, like when Clinton blurted out that she had snuggled with Marten. Then again, probably just to make her have another close moment with either Marten or Emily. Or maybe even Tai, IDK.

I could see perennial nice guy Marten-friend swinging in for the "Dawg, you okay?" after Claire has a panic attack, mostly because he's the person Claire's closest with at the library. The panic attack may not even based on Emily doing anything, just Claire's perception of Emily, and worrying that she might slip up and tell. (Anxiety issues aren't confined to rational or logical fears) then post pep talk Claire lets a bomb drop and BOOM Turkey Week. Reconciliation with Emily would be post turkey week one.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

After today's comic, not worrying about Emily slipping up and telling would be irrational.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I could see perennial nice guy Marten-friend swinging in for the "Dawg, you okay?" after Claire has a panic attack, mostly because he's the person Claire's closest with at the library. The panic attack may not even based on Emily doing anything, just Claire's perception of Emily, and worrying that she might slip up and tell. (Anxiety issues aren't confined to rational or logical fears) then post pep talk Claire lets a bomb drop and BOOM Turkey Week. Reconciliation with Emily would be post turkey week one.

That would be great. Without the "Dawg", perhaps...  :-D

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

So - which way this week?

High Drama.    4 (7.8%)
High Comedy.    9 (17.6%)
High Tai.    4 (7.8%)
High Jinks.    9 (17.6%)
Back to High School.    0 (0%)
Pintsize High on a Hill.    0 (0%)
Highlander (THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!)    9 (17.6%)
High on Waffles and Space Ham.    1 (2%)
Highly doubtful.    6 (11.8%)
Hi! My name is...    9 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 51

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Hybris

• Not quite a lurker
  • U-17 Silent Hunter

I can't shake the feeling that Emily will inadvertently blurt this secret out at the wrong time and/or place and cause some high level drama maybe not violence Jeph hasn't had violence in the comic (That I can remember) since the Vespa Girl days, but I think it will lead to Claire moving away for a while to recover.

Emily will be be looked down upon by the rest of the cast to one degree or another and Clinton will be maxed out on hate while seriously weighing the pros and cons of at least assaulting Emily. (Obviously I don't think he would but it seem to be a good idea at the time.)

If not the above then hopefully we can move on from this arc and bury this landmine for a later time hopefully not to be brought back up.
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2013, 09:14 by Hybris »
"Overkill is better then being killed" General FPS rule of thumb

"I'm back bitches!"

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Personally, I think Claire should just tell everyone and be done with it. Oh wait, she told Emily. Mission accomplished, then.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Read the Trans* threads in Discuss! to discover why this may not be thought a good idea.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Jeph doesn't seem to enjoy doing "dark".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Or doing the "obvious" thing,
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I dunno… maybe it's a flying car?
Or a self-driving robocar…
Ooh, I know! A self-flying robo-hovercar!

I read this as "hobo-rovercar"

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I dunno… maybe it's a flying car?
Or a self-driving robocar…
Ooh, I know! A self-flying robo-hovercar!

I read this as "hobo-rovercar"

I guess that explains the caption thread…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Maybe this is an opportunity to develop Emily as a character a little more.

I hope so.  I'd like to know more of what's going on with her. 

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Oh dear Mk.II
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

Telegraph.
Telephone.
Tell Emily.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Maybe it is my eyes but has Jeph been drawing Claire more feminine lately? Besides showing more skin, he looks like he is showing off more of her...well, assets.
I like this change, I hope it's a sign that she won't have any problems when the "secret" gets out.

RightInTheSquishyParts

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Favorite Random Number Is 22.7

Maybe it is my eyes but has Jeph been drawing Claire more feminine lately? Besides showing more skin, he looks like he is showing off more of her...well, assets.
I like this change, I hope it's a sign that she won't have any problems when the "secret" gets out.

NEVERMIND!  PINTSIZE IS HUMPING THE ESPRESSO MACHINE!   LETS DISCUSS THAT FOR AWHILE!!!!!!!!!!!1! 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It invited him in for coffee.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

That sounds dangerous.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Behold! Wacky Shenanigans!

Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

Did the espresso machine give consent?  Can the espresso machine give consent?

Damn robo-rights have mucked up the whole system.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

It's non-sentient. Does that mean it can't give consent, or does that mean it has no rights?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

I would imagine a non-sentient machine in the QCverse would have the same rights as a mentally challenged person in our universe.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

I think it'd be less a mentally challenged person and more a trained animal, perhaps? Otherwise I feel like Dora would have to have the machine on payroll...

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I think a non-sentient espresso machine in the QCverse is best compared to a non-sentient espresso machine in our 'verse.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

I dunno... I don't think our espresso machines attract creepy little robots.... yet.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Keep his usb cord away from its console port- who knows where that thing has been!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I think it'd be less a mentally challenged person and more a trained animal, perhaps? Otherwise I feel like Dora would have to have the machine on payroll...
Hmm... Do espresso machines have any form of "brain"? If not, would it be any more sentient than a pair of scissors, for example?

Robo-frottage?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

katsmeat

• Furry furrier

For a sentient coffee machine you'd need:

1) An AI who wants to be a coffee machine, presumably it does happen as at least one wanted to be a toaster.
2) A coffee-shop owner willing to pay for the extra-expensive coffee-machine with the CPU power needed to host an AI, and who the Coffee Machine AI is willing to work with. Lots of extra cost for a machine that produces the same coffee - I can't see Dora going for that anytime soon. Though perhaps the Robot Cafe has one.

Forget that. The *interesting* question is exactly what kind of special are they charging $50 for.

« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2013, 03:16 by katsmeat »

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Maybe that's where Pintsize comes in?

Yes, I am aware that sounds terrible. I don't think I want that "special" now.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

i was going to ask why anyone would buy complex sentient appliances for such simple tasks, but then i remembered this

GarandMarine

• Awakened

and that leads to one of my favorite comics http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2009

Any way, I don't think a non-sentient machine would be treated any differently then any other inanimate object would you? A non-AI espresso machine is better compared to a pair of scissors then Momo.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

The only reason people would treat a non-sentient machine any different that they would a hardware tool would be uncertainty - you would perhaps not know whether the machine in question wa sentient or not right away.

Roxtar

• Larger than most fish
  • Slacker

Frontalot shirt = win.
You told us about your trigger. people informing others of their triggers is one of my triggers. please refrain from doing that again. Oh, I've just triggered myself... which sounds more enjoyable than it really is.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

The only reason people would treat a non-sentient machine any different that they would a hardware tool would be uncertainty - you would perhaps not know whether the machine in question wa sentient or not right away.

I've read a few dozen science fiction stories of varying quality based on that premise.

Also: ... I'll pass on the coffee today, thanks.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

I dunno... I don't think our espresso machines attract creepy little robots.... yet.

Only because our world lacks any creepy little robots to be attracted.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Quote from: Wiki
The process is detrimental to the female's health.
GEE, YA THINK? :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Though Pintsize may be the worst offender when it comes to small robots trying to erm... "interface" with inanimate objects, he's certainly not the only one.

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1533
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

*Sticks hands in pockets and walks off whistling tunelessly*
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

So - which way this week?

High Drama.    4 (7.8%)
High Comedy.    9 (17.6%)
[...]
If only "low comedy" had been on the list...

I don't think an espresso machine would need to give consent any more than a vibrator would...  It's just a rather, er, eccentric choice of sex toy.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

I don't see many sensuous curves on that espresso machine. I guess Pintsize says that to all the gizmos...

Did he really walk there himself? I wonder now long it took him. Knowing how many times we've seen little robots on the streets of Northampton...
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Coming soon: A new Pintsize-shaped espresso machine at Coffee of Doom, to go along with the dinosaur-shaped ones (from when the allosaurus mated with the machine) and the Bonercat-shaped one.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Coming soon: A new Pintsize-shaped espresso machine at Coffee of Doom, to go along with the dinosaur-shaped ones (from when the allosaurus mated with the machine) and the Bonercat-shaped one.

It will be possessed by the spirit of the old espresso machine, the one that tried to take Faye with it when it died.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Heh "I'm you're girlfriend?"

Oh Tai.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Dora, you've already introduced Tai to Dale. He's very climbable.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

I think of Dora as Tai's girlsuperior.

I'll show myself out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up