Winslow gets an upgrade to an iPad
The band becomes big in Boston
Yelling Bird takes a sensitivity course
Waffleburgers with Spathe Ham
Butts!!!!
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
Whatever it is, it'll be unexpected

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2613-2617 (Jan 6 - 10 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 51596 times)

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

I just pictured the Allosaurus vomiting Sara up and her art style is EXACTLY the same as we last saw her. Seriously, would we be able to recognize her if Jeph randomly changed his mind and threw her in there somewhere without mentioning who she was?

toffee-skye

• Emoticontraindication
  • cryborg

i imagine Sara now would look like Penelope. and/or pre-dye-job Cosette.
my name is Anna and i like people, places, and things.
current MRes student and serial timewaster

Precipice

• Not quite a lurker

Today's last panel reminds me of an old Peanuts strip in which Charile Brown is watching a TV dance show and tells his sister:

"I like to watch people having a good time. I've always wanted to have a good time."

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Yeah, I think what Marten doesn't like is having other people's idea of fun.

Oh man, this so much. Things people believe that women in their twenties love doing: clubbing, partying, shopping. Things I really do not enjoy doing: clubbing, partying, shopping.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Yeah, as a long-time confirmed introvert, parties where I don't know anyone but the person who brought me can be pretty scary/boring. (That is, if I let them scare me to the point where I don't talk to anyone, they end up pretty boring.)

However, I have found that I can have a surprisingly enjoyable time at those if I just start talking to people who look interesting (and/or cute) without any purpose other than finding out what they're like and getting to know them better -- no hidden agendas. If they're not as interesting as they looked, or if they clearly aren't interested in anything I'm interested in, I excuse myself to get another drink or use the restroom, and find someone else to talk to. I recommend that course of action to Marten.

And a little anti-anxiety medication could be useful, but I don't know that he wants to start taking that right before a party. While it's easier to control the dosage than it is with alcohol, it can still take some time to find the right med and the right dosage for you, and the wrong dosage or med could actually make a stressful event even more stressful.

Edit:

It's Henry V's speech to the troops during the siege of Harfleur, or so sayeth the Bard.

Bonus points to both of you.

This is where "training by doing" and willfully exposing yourself to scenarios outside of your comfort zone comes in.
Almost everyone is the same way. Once you realize that, it becomes much easier and more natural to ACTUALLY enjoy social occasions. Just have to get yourself out there.

Quoted for truth.

Concerning the "signs": Some people are better at "writing" them than "reading" them. If you don't think you're getting any signals, try giving them. Someone might pick up.

Oh, interesting idea. That honestly never occurred to me before. However, it probably helps a lot to have some idea what some of the signs ARE before trying to send any, or the results might be a lot like trying to speak to a deaf person with sign language when you don't actually know any. (And, of course, once you know what to look for, it becomes much easier to tell when someone else is sending them.)

I learned some of the basic non-verbal signs at a seminar on relationships I took in my mid-twenties, and I have to admit that this knowledge actually helped me get into my first-ever romantic relationship not very much later. (Yes, I was a rather late bloomer.)
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2014, 11:28 by Storel »

Barmymoo

• Mentat

My problem with parties is that I can't cope with the noise, the weird lighting, the crowds and the late hours. I'm quite good at chatting to new people, but only if I'm not too busy trying desperately not to shut down from the overstimulation.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

I was right......new character introduction.

...Maybe it won't be a "new" character. Just someone who hasn't been seen in a while.
... Bailey!

(C'mon, he even pronounced her "pretty hot"!)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Randall's style is pretty distinctive, but here's a link: http://xkcd.com/238/

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication

Where are the library interns? And Momo? Please don't tell me they have  been there all day, that gag has been used already.

Here is a less promising link. If Tai do not have other friends than via Marten, how on earth will she succeed as wing-lady?

So, Claire, Emily, and Gabby were introduced as summer interns (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2203). Does that mean they have to leave soon? It's been summer for over 400 strips. I suppose that they might go to Smif or UMass? I went to school in Western Mass, though, and do not remember any school having a library science graduate program. Of course, this comic is fiction.

Also, is Tai still a Smif student? I'm never been particularly clear on her formal title at the library.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Tai apparently was a Smif student at one point; it's speculated (though not stated) that she may have moved on to graduate work as the de facto director of the library.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I wish I could still go to parties. Alas, that's all in the past for me.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

I think Tai's got the right idea in this instance. Going to a party with the specific goal of hooking up can make you seem desperate, and might actually drive away a prospective hookup. It's not a competition, and you're not a loser if you don't meet someone to go home with. Have some fun, be yourself (keep the alcohol consumption to low levels to help maintain perspective) and just try to meet new people, not just the opposite sex. Who knows, the new friend you meet may know other people who you might click with. Expand that circle! Embrace the F word (friends in this case). Especially if you see someone kind of alone on the edges, because you might be the icebreaker they need as well.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Tai may or may not still be a Smif student. I don't think it's been directly stated.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I was right......new character introduction.

...Maybe it won't be a "new" character. Just someone who hasn't been seen in a while.
... Bailey!

(C'mon, he even pronounced her "pretty hot"!)

Who?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Marten

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Wasn't Bailey one of Tai's exes? Do we know whether she's interested in men? I think it's unlikely she'll reappear, even though I wish she would since she had awesome hair.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

One of my favourite Tai pages: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=727

The previous page has backstory on Bailey, and the following has what I suspect sinks this silly ship: "Bailey doesn't DO monogamy".  Marten has always shot down silly suggestions of polyamory before.

But then again, hey, I do believe ill-advised hookups were called for, right?  Can't be more doomed than hooking up with Bailey &c, can it?  Just ask Tai.  8-)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

My problem with parties is that I can't cope with the noise, the weird lighting, the crowds and the late hours. I'm quite good at chatting to new people, but only if I'm not too busy trying desperately not to shut down from the overstimulation.

xkcd 602:
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

People, you can't post an xkcd without the alt text, it's incomplete!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

One of my favourite Tai pages: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=727

Where did her anchor tattoo go? She could float away and be lost forever!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

She has had it under conscious control ever since she took the anchor management class.

EDIT: Maybe Marten could wear a black hoodie to the party. Or a jacket and tie and no shirt.

This is enough buildup that we're likely to see the party and that something will happen there.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2014, 22:15 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

A lot more than two.

At least I sure hope so.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

I think the mommy spanking shirt would be a good ice breaker at a party.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

I couldn't wait for the QC Captions  :laugh: :

"Source".

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

This is not foreshadowing, and could not conceivably be mistaken for such. :angel:

...also I want to see Angus in "his" shirt.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Wondering what to wear is a female obsession. Marten should just wear his ordinary shirt, be reasonably clean, freshly shaved, and with a small dash of Obsession after shave.

Maybe Marten could wear a black hoodie to the party. Or a jacket and tie and no shirt.
Well, Marten was a huge success at the Smif Nerd-Con, but it might not work in another setting. The other guests at the party need to be MLG fans, otherwise he will just be a weird (and creepy) guy. I would recommend ordinary clothes this time.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Just for that comment, I want him to turn up in the dress Noel wore to this year's BFQ.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

BFQ?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish

Or Marten could befriend someone at the party who has a sister.  Or not.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Bailey reappeared in 972, but I don't think she's been in QC since then.

If it's a character from the past, Luna is/was at the same college. And possibly Lydia.
Calling it: Marten will spend the party talking to all of these, plus other girls from the past, plus two unnamed girls, shown only from behind, who may or may not be Sara and Ellen with new hairstyles and new art.

Marten will leave the party with Tai, who's so dead drunk Marten will have to tuck her to bed.  In the epilogue, Meenah's pulling Tai's pants out of the morgue's dishwasher.

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

"My artistic integrity wears a gimp suit and lives in a box" remains my all-time favorite quote in this comic.

Anyway, I'd go with the "too boring" shirt, since I hate fun. And parties. And having fun at parties.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I want a "my mommy likes to spank people" onesie

ironically, natch

Storel

We already have, way back before Angus and Faye started dating. Faye said it looked like Gay Pride meets Star Trek, and Angus admitted he bought it just because he knew she would give him some great snark about it. I'm sure somebody here can find the strip in question...

Edit: Oh, and K1dmor, that recaptioning was inspired:-D

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Wondering what to wear is a female obsession.

Rubbish! Please don't make such sweeping generalisations. Personally I am female and beyond making sure that my clothes are clean and don't clash horribly, and are practical for whatever I'm doing that day, I almost never bother about what I'm wearing. In contrast I have met people who are male and pay a great deal of attention to their clothes, because they choose to do so.

That said, I think Marten just needs to wear whatever he's comfortable in. As does everyone else going to the party.

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

We already have, way back before Angus and Faye started dating. Faye said it looked like Gay Pride meets Star Trek, and Angus admitted he bought it just because he knew she would give him some great snark about it. I'm sure somebody here can find the strip in question...
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=898

The aforementioned snark is in the following strip.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Rubbish! Please don't make such sweeping generalisations.
Sorry. Generalisations may be offensive. I just thought the "what to wear" session did not match Marten's habits and personality. It now appears he does, but his friends will never know, as the end result is always the same. He just spends a long time in the closet.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I agree it doesn't match Marten! Just be wary of extrapolating that to the other 3.6 billion men on the planet...

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I like how Marten has Angus' shirt on backwards

Storel

I like how Marten has Angus' shirt on backwards

Nah, that's just how he's seeing it in the mirror. Jeph would never make a continuity mistake like that, or like getting the colors wrong...  :wink:

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I like the white shirt.

Wait, isn't that Angus' as well?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

ironically, natch

Draw up the thing in your favorite drawing application, print it out to proof it, get some T Shirt Transfer paper from the store, print on transfer paper, iron onto onsie, and done.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

This is not foreshadowing, and could not conceivably be mistaken for such. :angel:

I'm looking, I'm looking...

FOUND IT: Angus Looks Ridiculous In That Shirt

EDIT: #### it, ninja'd. That's what I get for working 16 hour shifts. :P
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

ironically, natch

Wasn't Marten wearing something like that on one of his baby photos? Or was it just a normal shirt for a small kid? Anyway, I'm quite sure we've seen an item of clothing worn by Marten with that line before.

Zwammy

I think the mommy spanking shirt would be a good ice breaker at a party.

I was thinking that about the Pintsize modified one.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

ironically, natch

Wasn't Marten wearing something like that on one of his baby photos? Or was it just a normal shirt for a small kid? Anyway, I'm quite sure we've seen an item of clothing worn by Marten with that line before.
It was the one with the dildo.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

Just wondering...does Marten still have that "I AM THE PRETTIEST PRINCESS" shirt?
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

Storel

Just wondering...does Marten still have that "I AM THE PRETTIEST PRINCESS" shirt?

I was wondering that, too. Didn't he give it to Dora or Faye?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Dang, Pintsize, even your smartass comment at the end was true. WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH PINTSIZE? And since I said that, I have to post this.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jazzmaster

So...what are the odds Jeph has Marten go to the party and just enjoy himself without actually meeting any girls?

That seems realistic, but for one reason or another I suspect it won't happen that way.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Holy shit! Pintsize gave two excellent pieces of advice!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up