THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 03:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 84   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Blog Thread IIIb : Look Who's Blogging Now  (Read 131616 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: Re: Blog Thread IIIb : Look Who's Blogging Now
« Reply #300 on: 07 Apr 2011, 15:58 »

Yeah label everything. And think really carefully about what you are going to need (not what you MIGHT need but what you are actually going to need) and keep that out. It sounds really obvious but you really don't want to be unpacking the whole box to get at the spatula or whatever.

Pack early. Pack viciously - if it's only a "might" need this before the move, you don't. It's better to keep washing the same plate and glass than to have to pack all your crockery on the last day.

Oh yeah and remember you have to lift those buggers, probably up stairs. Boxes weigh three times as much on the day as they do in advance - truu fakt.

If you're one of those people who can trick themselves into an early deadline, do that - tell yourself you've got to be ready three days before you actually have, and then camp out for the last three days rather than leaving it all to the last minute.

And as my dad always says to me "there's only one last minute, and it's sixty seconds just like all the others".
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #301 on: 07 Apr 2011, 16:02 »

One thing I have seen reccommended a lot that seems really clever is to have one box with stuff you will need straight away, like two plates, some basic cutlery, towels and change of clothes or whatever. Then  when you get there and there are all these boxes and you just want to have a shower or a glass of water you don't have to rummage through all the boxes or suitcases to fine what you need for that first night.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #302 on: 07 Apr 2011, 16:04 »

KETTLE FOR CUP OF TEA
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #303 on: 07 Apr 2011, 16:19 »

The longest I've ever lived in one place is maybe 4 years - and everywhere else I've been less than 2 years. So I've done a shit ton of moving and I no longer mind it. I do love getting to re-decorate and re-think everything and really sort through all my junk and get rid of what I no longer need/want. The only thing I really, honestly hate is the physical labor. I am smooshy and weak.

My tip is to think through where everything is going to go. Pack by room as much as you can - and know that there will always be "misc crap" boxes. If you can make them "misc bathroom" or "misc bedroom" boxes, at the least, it will save you a lot of time when unpacking. If there's anything that's going to stay in boxes for some time - like books that are low priority - write everything on the box, and be thorough. That way when you're searching through boxes for something, you can ignore that box entirely. But it just takes way too much time to do that with all the other boxes, so that's only helpful on low priority stuff.

EDIT: Boro, my brother also went to Shepherd Pratt, for the same program, and it really helped him. He hated the group stuff just as much. Good on you for getting help for yourself. I hope you start feeling better soon!
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2011, 16:21 by nekowafer »
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #304 on: 07 Apr 2011, 16:27 »

Oh oh something I forgot: Packing lists. They are superuseful for holidays and even better for boxes! Make a list of what is in that box and stick it to the outside of it.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #305 on: 07 Apr 2011, 17:17 »

I think my flatmate is playing matchmaker for me. It's a bit weird.

EDIT: nope it's alright. never mind.
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2011, 17:39 by StaedlerMars »
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #306 on: 07 Apr 2011, 18:26 »

That has a bit of a vague meaning to it to mang.

You guys are moving to Ann Arbor, MI? I'm looking at the travel Wiki and it seems lovely.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #307 on: 07 Apr 2011, 20:23 »

Hey so I've been entering a bunch of stories in this SMS short story competition which closes on Sunday (Australian time), but apparently the winner is going to be determined in part by some bullshit popularity contest, and because it's almost the weekend I'm not feeling a lot of shame, so if any of you who have Facebook want to "Like" my stories to boost my chances of winning a cool three Gs you can click on the following links to my get to my stories:

http://www.bpayshortandsweet.com.au/e/NjI0NzE1

http://www.bpayshortandsweet.com.au/e/NjI0NTE1

http://www.bpayshortandsweet.com.au/e/NjI0NzQ1

http://www.bpayshortandsweet.com.au/e/NjI0OTQ1

http://www.bpayshortandsweet.com.au/e/NjI1MzM1

http://www.bpayshortandsweet.com.au/e/NjI1NTE1

http://www.bpayshortandsweet.com.au/e/NjI1NjE1

http://www.bpayshortandsweet.com.au/e/NjI1NzQ1

http://www.bpayshortandsweet.com.au/e/NjI1OTc1

http://www.bpayshortandsweet.com.au/e/NjI2MzE1

http://www.bpayshortandsweet.com.au/e/NjI2MTk1

I'm going to submit a few more over the weekend.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #308 on: 07 Apr 2011, 21:24 »

I liked the first one! And then it started giving me errors. I will try again soon.

I also actually like all your stories, as in "enjoying" them
it's time to stop posting

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #309 on: 07 Apr 2011, 21:32 »

Thanks Anna!

This competition has actually been a really useful experience for me, because it's demonstrated that I can actually cut down my Sunday SMS stories succesfully (the competition limit was 120 characters). Sure, whatever nuance or colour is possible in 160 characters tends to get lost in the process - but it's still doable. I'm currently thinking of ways to do modified versions of the stories also as a twitter feed (140 characters) to try to get a larger readership.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #310 on: 07 Apr 2011, 21:38 »

Not to sound creepy, but if you go through with that Twitter thing, I'd follow you. I am really enjoying your stories there, Harry.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #311 on: 07 Apr 2011, 23:48 »

My favourite hobby at the moment is looking at properties to rent which are theoretically within my (completely invented and arbitrary) budget and feasibly close to uni. It's not like any of them will be available in October (and if they are there's something wrong with them anyway) but I still like to pretennnnnnnnnd.

There's a stunningly beautiful art deco cinema in Sheffield called the Adelphi. It's closed down and up for sale and I'm wondering if I can get away with calling up the estate agents and arranging a look around because it is absolutely lovely and I want to get inside and touch things.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #312 on: 08 Apr 2011, 00:04 »

There's a beautiful old brick Art Deco building near my house, all the more notable because the dominant architectural styles in this part of Melbourne are Victorian and Edwardian. And what do you suppose is in this building, spattering its advertising and branding all over the facade?

A fucking McDonald's.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #313 on: 08 Apr 2011, 00:08 »

What a waste, Harry.

Bloody hell, I want to live in that art deco cinema.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #314 on: 08 Apr 2011, 00:29 »

Well obviously living in it would be lovely. I won't deny at least half an hour of fantasising about long self-congratulatory chats with Kevin McCloud as he enthuses over my sensitive restoration and commitment to the original designer's vision. Alas my Grand Design moment is probably a long way off right now.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #315 on: 08 Apr 2011, 02:41 »

Hooray,

I got a letter from HMRC saying that I underpaid tax of £667.60 and that I need to pay them by the end of the month. Just what you need when you're unemployed with no prospects of a job.

FML

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #316 on: 08 Apr 2011, 02:59 »

Thanks Anna!

This competition has actually been a really useful experience for me, because it's demonstrated that I can actually cut down my Sunday SMS stories succesfully (the competition limit was 120 characters). Sure, whatever nuance or colour is possible in 160 characters tends to get lost in the process - but it's still doable. I'm currently thinking of ways to do modified versions of the stories also as a twitter feed (140 characters) to try to get a larger readership.

I've been thinking of suggesting this for a while. Also consider that with a popular twitter feed behind you, it might be easier to get the book published.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #317 on: 08 Apr 2011, 03:18 »

What I'm thinking of doing is keeping the regular Sunday SMS stories, but also cutting them down to size and posting them on Twitter on Mondays. I'll also set up a simple blog which will explain the whole project and which will have the phone number for anyone who wants to subscribe to the SMS versions. I'll probably also get a PayPal account or something and start charging a small subscription fee for the stories - probably A$10 a year (which will more than cover the costs of distribution).

I'll probably waive the fee for existing subscribers, though. (Don't tell anyone!)

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #318 on: 08 Apr 2011, 07:50 »

Hey Jens, can you go to the wailing wall or whatever and stick a note in there praying for some decent Red Sox baseball?

I feel like maybe I should try this religion thing, 0-6 is just not natural.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #319 on: 08 Apr 2011, 08:25 »

Our government may get shut down today. Oh joy.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #320 on: 08 Apr 2011, 08:33 »

USA! USA! US...oh wait.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Zingoleb

« Reply #321 on: 08 Apr 2011, 11:05 »

I think I've managed to condense my life into as little as I can. I'm going to be taking two books, both signed (one is poetry, the other is newspaper articles only in a book), one DVD, and ten records. Tea for the Tillerman ain't going nowhere without me.

Also I'm back in shithole hometown Albion. I found my birth certificate, because the last six months I've been asking my father to find it but he can't seem to manage to find his ass with both hands, a flashlight, and backup rescue party. Took me five fucking minutes. But! I have it now, and can finally go about changing my damn name.

Life is getting better!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #322 on: 08 Apr 2011, 14:06 »

Good for you!

Student teaching today was so awesome oh my god these kids are great.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #323 on: 08 Apr 2011, 14:28 »

I'll probably waive the fee for existing subscribers, though. (Don't tell anyone!)

I've been forwarding them on to a friend across town. When you started, he was my neighbor and I'd read them to him every few weeks over beers. Now I don't see him as often so I send it. Should I keep doing that, or make him get his own subscription so you can have some monies from him?
Ho, ho, ho!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #324 on: 08 Apr 2011, 14:42 »

ARGH YOU GUYS I am kind of considering dropping out of my degree and taking a childcare qualification instead. HELP. What do I do.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #325 on: 08 Apr 2011, 14:44 »

Finish your degree, May.

Then raise your own babies. Not other peoples'. Duh.
Ho, ho, ho!

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #326 on: 08 Apr 2011, 14:46 »

Also if you drop out of uni I will heckle you mercilessly. And be disappointed in you. Just ask Shane.
Ho, ho, ho!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #327 on: 08 Apr 2011, 15:00 »

Finish your degree, May.

Except for mine, raise mine.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #328 on: 08 Apr 2011, 19:19 »

If I've learned anything from studying its that uni gets easier to navigate, and as a direct result the stuff you study seems considerably less scary. If you're thinking of dropping law because you don't think you can handle it, I suggest you stick with it a little longer. If you're just not enjoying the stuff you're studying, and don't think its because its hard to understand, then you're not doing yourself any favours by sticking around because you won't use it when you graduate.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #329 on: 08 Apr 2011, 20:35 »

I've been forwarding them on to a friend across town. When you started, he was my neighbor and I'd read them to him every few weeks over beers. Now I don't see him as often so I send it. Should I keep doing that, or make him get his own subscription so you can have some monies from him?

Nah keep doing it, my main interest is making sure as many people read them as possible and I love that people share them. I did that census last year and I found out that the "unofficial" readership is about three or four times the size of the "official" readership (ie, the number of subscribers), which is amazing. Making money is a secondary concern.

Zingoleb

« Reply #330 on: 08 Apr 2011, 23:06 »

So I found out a friend of mine kinda sorta founded Wax Trax Records

Mind is pretty well blown

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #331 on: 08 Apr 2011, 23:14 »

So I've decided that a policy of Sexual Détente is probably the best for me right now. Yeah, I haven't had a whole lot of success with the ladies at this point but honestly I've really stopped caring that I'm not getting any right now. I feel like I've got to focus on being as happy as I can without needing to pursue someone at this point, and it's something I've never really done. I can't remember a point since middle school where I haven't felt "I'm happy without wanting/needing a girlfriend" and I think I'm long overdue for that. (Granted for four years I was with a cool girl, but I'm not anymore and since then I've done a lot of re-evaluating of what I want out of a lady and such.) There's so many things I feel like I should probably focus on (like finding a more stable job, moving out of where I am right now, playing music), things I can actually do and have fun with or that actually really matter before involving a girl into the equation. If something just happens to fall into my lap and I'm down, I'm not gonna say no but I'm not going to actively pursue it.

Is this sensible or is this my dry spell getting to me? Do I just need to get laid?
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2011, 23:19 by Christophe »

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #332 on: 08 Apr 2011, 23:51 »

haha yes dude at the bar it is funny when you try and undo my bra hahaha also when you try and put your beer between my breasts because my shirt is low cut haha you just hit me in the teeth with the bottle ow haha
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #333 on: 08 Apr 2011, 23:58 »

Did you report it to security? That sounds like behaviour that would get a guy kicked out of a bar in no time.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #334 on: 09 Apr 2011, 07:40 »

Jimmy made kangaroo for dinner which was pretty damn good if a wee bit strange tasting. After lurking about watching cartoons all evening I suddenly noticed this weird smell, no idea quite what to make of it...
After smelling my way around the kitchen for a moment I realised it was the kangaroo'y frying pan. Apparently kangaroo fat smells like satan's butthole.

Basically I am attempting to share my new found knowledge, kangaroo, delicious but deadly! (but mostly delicious (let Jimmy cook for you, he's really good)).

Is it weird that I'm blogging about this?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #335 on: 09 Apr 2011, 07:43 »

haha yes dude at the bar it is funny when you try and undo my bra hahaha also when you try and put your beer between my breasts because my shirt is low cut haha you just hit me in the teeth with the bottle ow haha

Did you punch him in the face?

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #336 on: 09 Apr 2011, 10:11 »

Man this forum I post on a ton just closed down with like a day's notice. It's been getting kinda shitty for a while but I'm really bummed out about this. I haven't got a clue how to get in touch with anyone I knew from there.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #337 on: 09 Apr 2011, 11:22 »

Finish your degree, May.

Except for mine, raise mine.

I am going to do both! I will raise my own and people will pay me to stay home and homeschool my kids because I will also be playing the Choking Hazard game with their babies! (Don't put that in your mouth... take it out of your mouth! What have you got in there now?)

Jordan, you are welcome to move to wherever I open my daycare and put your kids into it. DO THIS.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #338 on: 09 Apr 2011, 12:57 »

I'm going out tonight! I'm going to be social, and there will be alcohol!

I'm afraid  :psyduck:
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #339 on: 09 Apr 2011, 13:16 »

Is it weird that I'm blogging about this?

Not at all, Kangaroo is very good for you and the environment. I really wish that we'd switch to it as our main domestic source of red meat.

Papersatan

« Reply #340 on: 09 Apr 2011, 13:48 »

I feel like I've got to focus on being as happy as I can without needing to pursue someone at this point, and it's something I've never really done. I can't remember a point since middle school where I haven't felt "I'm happy without wanting/needing a girlfriend" and I think I'm long overdue for that. (Granted for four years I was with a cool girl, but I'm not anymore and since then I've done a lot of re-evaluating of what I want out of a lady and such.) There's so many things I feel like I should probably focus on (like finding a more stable job, moving out of where I am right now, playing music), things I can actually do and have fun with or that actually really matter before involving a girl into the equation. If something just happens to fall into my lap and I'm down, I'm not gonna say no but I'm not going to actively pursue it.

Is this sensible or is this my dry spell getting to me? Do I just need to get laid?

If your ultimate goal is a meaningful long-term relationship with someone, this is how it should be done. Being happy and stable makes you more attractive to other happy and stable people, and having your happiness and stability arise from outside a relationship puts much less stress on the relationship, increasing the chances it will be successful. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #341 on: 09 Apr 2011, 13:49 »

(but mostly delicious (let Jimmy cook for you, he's really good)).

Once he tried to feed me fried spam. If anything smelled like Satan's butthole, that was it.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #342 on: 09 Apr 2011, 14:05 »

If your ultimate goal is a meaningful long-term relationship with someone, this is how it should be done. Being happy and stable makes you more attractive to other happy and stable people, and having your happiness and stability arise from outside a relationship puts much less stress on the relationship, increasing the chances it will be successful.  

Also as cliche as it sounds, the best way to find someone is to stop looking, and just let yrself be open to the possibility if it arises instead of forcing it. I'd imagine this has a lot to do with people being a lot more attractive when they're not desperate and consumed by desire to be in a relationship no matter what.

Allybee

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #343 on: 09 Apr 2011, 14:10 »

evaluating my life:

+ exciting summer internship. there's a stipend and I'm getting my own place but it's not terribly far from my parents or my best friend. located in a small college town where there will be many students. internship directly pertains to my interests and career goals (it's in land conservation). future coworkers seem incredibly friendly.
+ got into printmaking class for next year. you have to interview for upper level classes here and I've never gotten refused but it's still nice, I'm not going abroad so that I can take this. the professor loved my work and I felt good in the studio. might concentrate on printmaking within my art major.
+ successfully restarted super cool art collective. people seem stoked/interested. I hear people talking about it on campus.
+ I have many exceedingly lovely friends.
+ my friend's birthday party is at the farm tonight :)

- I am so fucking fail with boys. still.
- my housemates have band practice and ug that bass is loud

I'm going to try to stop looking and concentrate on continuing to be great at everything. boys are time consuming anyways.
radical dame

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #344 on: 09 Apr 2011, 14:15 »

I'm going out tonight! I'm going to be social, and there will be alcohol!

Got cancelled on  :psyduck:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #345 on: 09 Apr 2011, 14:50 »

Our government may get shut down today. Oh joy.

The only negative consequence I can think of is that if the State Department can no longer exist then my mum's out of a job. It's honestly about fucking time, this shit's been completely without function for more years than I care to think.

Dear blog,

Literally every single thing that could possibly go wrong with my move has gone wrong with my move. Fuck my life completely.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #346 on: 09 Apr 2011, 15:28 »

Well, one of my roommates works at a library and that would have affected her getting paid. That would have been bad. But at least they got their shit together and didn't shut down and Planned Parenthood wasn't affected, so hey.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #347 on: 09 Apr 2011, 16:02 »

Look on the bright side, your corporations can remain prosperous and competitive and your military strong. You just need to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and move on.

EDIT: for a country that doesn't believe in wealth redistribution, you sure do a lot of it.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #348 on: 09 Apr 2011, 16:14 »

Got cancelled on  :psyduck:

I'll go out and party with you, Dovey. I'll just spend my next rent payment on plane tickets because, pfft, who needs a roof over their head?
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #349 on: 09 Apr 2011, 16:29 »

OK! I only have a single bed but I'm sure we'll work something out.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 84   Go Up