THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 20:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 84   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Blog Thread IIIb : Look Who's Blogging Now  (Read 132256 times)

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
Re: Re: Blog Thread IIIb : Look Who's Blogging Now
« Reply #4000 on: 09 Jan 2013, 07:07 »

"Dating" isn't quite the same thing in the UK as it is in the US. People don't generally go on dates with lots of different people to see who they like best, although some probably do. It's generally used as a synonym for "going out", or "going steady" (that last one hasn't been said since about the 1970s though).

I certainly know when something almost certainly isn't going to last forever. Last time, there were two problems. The first one was that he wouldn't even say he was my boyfriend (massive red flag that I pretended would go away) and also he was violently atheist and couldn't deal with me being Christian. Not going to last. This time, the fact that he is 18 and I'm about to graduate and move away meant the odds were against us, and there were lots of little pinkish flags, if not one big red one, which meant I knew I liked him more than he liked me.

So I guess you can't know it will last forever. But you can know it won't, and so far I always have.
If anyone can sort out the bumps, lumps and rushes, you can. But then I also think you'll be prime minister.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #4001 on: 09 Jan 2013, 13:17 »

My State Senator (or someone in her office anyways) wrote me back.  I sent her a hand written letter last month about the various anti-abortion bills, and how they made Michigan a less apealing place for me to look for jobs after graduations.   I also emailed her a copy of the letter I sent to the governor last week.

While most of her reply was likely copied and pasted from her talking points on the issue, one of the first paragraphs indicates both letters were read and linked to me as their single author:

I appreciate the time you took not only to share your personal perspective with me on this issue, but also to respond to Governor Snyder regarding his reasons for signing this bill. I am sorry to hear that recent events have made you question your decision to become a Michigander, but I hope that you will choose to stay and work with those of us who refuse to give up in our fight against this war on women.

That is nice, though I expect no such acknowledgement from the governor.

[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4002 on: 09 Jan 2013, 13:18 »

Haha I am not going to be prime minister! I would be terrible in politics, I'd always go for the decision that seemed nicest and then we'd run out of money.

I haven't a clue what the bumps, lumps and rushes are. But I would probably organise them, label them, categorise them and make a spreadsheet of them if I did.

I'm feeling less bad today (in that I only cried twice, and only had to physically prevent myself from crying a few times, instead of every couple of minutes). I ducked out of choir dinner, which almost everyone else has gone to, because I need some time where I can drop the front and be honest about how I'm feeling. I don't want to break down and cry in front of everyone, including the xBoy, because it would be embarassing and awkward and everyone would gossip about me when I left.

We spoke very briefly this afternoon when I returned some stuff he'd left in my room. Then I bumped into the chaplain who asked how my Christmas had been, and I started crying again. The chaplain suggested I should talk to xB about the breakup but I'm not really sure what needs to be said. I'm feeling sad, I knew he was going to break up with me and I think I know why, it's fairly amicable and hopefully soon I'll be able to speak to him without crying.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #4003 on: 09 Jan 2013, 15:46 »

Don't feel quite right tonight. Head's kind of light. Kind of feel like I'm about to cry and/or going to fall asleep any moment. Think it's anxiety but usually my stomach goes into knots if it's anxiety.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #4004 on: 09 Jan 2013, 16:34 »

Have you eaten/drank fluids normally today?if that's not the cause, try some slow, deep breaths. Take your pulse if possible...if it's elevated or lowered more than about 30% from your normal resting rate, call your physician.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #4005 on: 09 Jan 2013, 16:39 »

Yeah, eating and drinking been normal. Thanks for the advice, breathing has helped a bit. Got up and walked around. I think I might be getting sick but just a cold hopefully.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4006 on: 09 Jan 2013, 16:45 »

Eat some chocolate and take a short walk. The caffeine and sugar in the chocolate will give you a little boost.

Also, try Vitamin C and Lysine (it's an amino acid...find it near the vitamins at the drug store. It might be labelled "L-Lysine"). It's what my father always recommends...he's a nurse. Together they help to strenthen the immune system, and it's a lot easier than taking a buttload of different pills. If you're already taking a multivitamin on a regular basis, take them anyway. Your body typically utilizes more ascorbic acid (Vit-C) when it needs it, and they're both water-soluble, so any excess is excreted through the urine; you can't O.D. unless you basically chug the bottle.

Worry Hat, Engage!

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #4007 on: 09 Jan 2013, 16:59 »

I actually had some chocolate. My body must have known I needed it.  :mrgreen: Handy advice, will get the vitamins when I'm in town tomorrow.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #4008 on: 09 Jan 2013, 17:47 »

Whoa, Patrick, can't you stay in?

I left realjob early, and now I'm about to go set up jam night. I'm going to try and find some Tylenol at the store and maybe break this damned fever. I have a date at noon tomorrow with the Cutest Girl Ever (she offered to raincheck, bless her heart, but when am I gonna have time again soon?) and then I'm gonna try and get a walk-in at the doc's office. Then I'm supposed to set up for my buddy's last camping trip (tomorrow night) before he permanently relocates to New Zealand on the 16th. After setup, I have my open mic at the coffee shop to run, then the camping trip itself.

Why do I do things to myself
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4009 on: 09 Jan 2013, 17:56 »

...This even mre sums it up...you are a trooper. God bless ya, and I hope you don't pass out halfway through your superadventureness.  ;D
Worry Hat, Engage!

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #4010 on: 09 Jan 2013, 19:58 »

I haven't a clue what the bumps, lumps and rushes are. But I would probably organise them, label them, categorise them and make a spreadsheet of them if I did.
Bumps and lumps: setbacks, what you're experiencing. Rushes: Adrenaline, infatuation, falling in love. That wasn't very clear, but it would make an interesting spreadsheet.
As for prime minister, of course you will. If Hugh Grant can be one, you can.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4011 on: 09 Jan 2013, 21:00 »

Hugh Grant, really? Ugh...At least if it were Hugh Laurie, I'd enjoy his parliamentary antics. With assistance from Coalition Leader Stephen Fry.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4012 on: 09 Jan 2013, 21:20 »

Made it back to my first SCA practice since August. Using my full kit and a new punch shield. Things went pretty good, I've still got some stuff to work on, mostly generating power from the hips and shots when I get in close. I use a 39" sword so I have range over anyone not using a polearm or spear pretty much (I have the longest sword and the longest arms of any fighter at practice). Next week we are doing a more back to basics thing working on blocking and striking fundamentals and I'm really looking forward to it.

Currently have welts on my butt and upper left thigh, a bruise on my left shoulder, couple small bruises on my arms, a cut on my knuckle (I think I did this putting my armor on), and I smashed my thumb with my basket so it is crazy bruised up.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #4013 on: 09 Jan 2013, 22:45 »

Hugh Grant, really?
He is in two of my favourite films ever. And would he be worse than Clegg/Cameron?

There's a tiny girl next to me blowing a whistle. She's really proud of it as well. The dedication is staggering.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #4014 on: 10 Jan 2013, 03:38 »

...This even mre sums it up...you are a trooper.

I would've probably used the word "fool" instead but I appreciate the kindness.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #4015 on: 10 Jan 2013, 03:53 »

Also you make me feel that my social life is moving at the speed of a meth-addicted sloth :)

Get some Aspirin+, the kind with vitamin C and some form of ephidrine in it and then try not to collapse at some point!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #4016 on: 10 Jan 2013, 14:22 »

I use a 39" sword so I have range over anyone not using a polearm or spear pretty much (I have the longest sword and the longest arms of any fighter at practice).
I will make no comment about the appropriateness of your forum avatar...  :-D

Is that the overall length, pommel to tip, or the blade? I am guessing it is the blade if yours is exceptional, since the longest taiji swords are around 38"-39" overall, but have blades only around 32" long.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4017 on: 10 Jan 2013, 14:27 »

Oh, its overall length. But most guys use something in the range of 30-32" overall length.

I'm like 2 chromosomes away from a chimpanzee. My forearms are about 2" longer than they ought to be for someone my height.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #4018 on: 10 Jan 2013, 14:51 »

30"-32" overall would be very short for taiji sword, especially for a guy. My jian is about 34.5" overall with roughly a 28" blade. That is fractionally too short for me according to "the rules", but it is the closest standard size.

Liu Bei, hero of Romance Of The Three Kingdoms and all-around legendary good-guy, is famous for his long arms, and for being a deadly swordsman.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Papersatan

« Reply #4019 on: 10 Jan 2013, 16:16 »

I've been sick for a few days now with a head cold.  Yesterday my tonsils got all swollen and sore and patchy.  This afternoon I woke up with a twinge in my ear and knew things were headed down hill.  I got a lot of ear infections as a child and I could tell one was coming.  I managed to get to the university clinic just before they stopped accepting new patents at 4 pm and then sat there for two and a half hours.  By the time the Dr. saw me, my ear was throbbing and congested. 

Glad I trusted myself and went when I did.  I would not have been pleased waiting another 18 hours to start antibiotics.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #4020 on: 11 Jan 2013, 01:35 »

Date went well. We were both sick so it wound up happening 2 hours later than planned, but fuck it. Afterward, she and I went to a Mediterranean restaurant with some mutual friends and it turns out the place makes byrek, which I haven't had since Tirana. Wasn't like the real thing, but eh, not a lot of people would know.

Camping wound up not happening for anyone, so that saved me a lot of hurt.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #4021 on: 11 Jan 2013, 01:58 »

I use a 39" sword so I have range over anyone not using a polearm or spear pretty much

You use that thing one handled? That be crazy.

I know what we do over here is pretty different from the SCA, but this advice might still work; if you are opposing someone with a polearm, they expect you to have a lot shorter reach than what you actually have, and won't really see you as a threat if they've got people with shields in front of them. You can get some really easy kills on them because of that - simply use that oversized sword and the long arms to hit them when they're trying to stab the people next to you - they'll probably just be worried about polearms on your side, not swords.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4022 on: 11 Jan 2013, 02:19 »

In the melees at practice we usually end up with 5-6 guys per side, and I put myself on the left flank, that way when the other side tries to split up and flank us, I can reach out and smack the dude in the back or head really quick. Its pretty nice because there are rules for being engaged (basically, as long as you are in range of that person's weapon or them in range of yours while facing each other, or if you come up from behind, you turn them around, tap them with your weapon a couple times or shout at them so that they acknowledge you) and thus my engagement range is a little over 70" (177.8cm). It is stupid fun and I can't wait to make myself a polearm and just destroy people.

Papersatan

« Reply #4023 on: 11 Jan 2013, 05:32 »

my engagement range is a little over 70" (177.8cm).

Swords with reach are always good.  Increased threatened squares are great when an enemy tries to move around you and ends up with an unexpected AoO.  Even better if you have Combat Reflexes and can get two in on them as they move in for an attack (or try to retreat).

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #4024 on: 11 Jan 2013, 08:06 »

I am reminded of the close fighting technique I was taught of punching past the opponent's head, then swinging the sword from the wrist, wrapping around behind the shield and hitting them in the back of the head... the guy who taught it to me likened it to a waiter throwing a bowl of soup; straight out with the arm, then a lot of spin with the wrist...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #4025 on: 11 Jan 2013, 14:29 »

I can't wait to make myself a polearm and just destroy people.
Never take a sword to a gùn fight.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #4026 on: 11 Jan 2013, 14:51 »

Holy fucking shit, dat WHOOOSH

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #4027 on: 11 Jan 2013, 18:45 »

Not whooosh, wushu...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So our goddaughter, who just got out of the army last year with her husband (they met in high school and went into the military together) came by tonight with her 8 month old son - her husband and she had another fight (third one since he became unemployed before christmas).  This time though, he hit her in the face and drew a gun (unloaded).  She came to us partly because we're walking distance, and partly because her parents (a couple of miles up the road) are wackos (a whole other story). 

Her dad came by and picked her up to talk and (I hope) make a report, and we've got the kid. 

It's not PTSD, they were stationed in Hawaii doing vehicle (him) and weapon (her) maintenance, never saw action.  But he got a "good" job with a trucking company soon after they got back, except they treated him like shit and fired him with no cause right before christmas.  They're trying to deny him unemployment on trumped up insubordination.  He's been moody ever since, and all they seem to do lately is fight. 

I have a few thoughts on "at-will" employment right about now. 

Doors are locked, lights are out, in case he comes by. 
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2013, 19:30 by Carl-E »

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #4028 on: 11 Jan 2013, 20:45 »

Hope that works out, at the least without any more violence.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4029 on: 11 Jan 2013, 21:21 »

Ditto. Carl, is there anything against you filing a report as well? Just for thoroughness.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #4030 on: 11 Jan 2013, 22:38 »

I don't even...

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4031 on: 12 Jan 2013, 02:40 »

Wow Carl, be careful with that, sounds dangerous.  :-\

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #4032 on: 12 Jan 2013, 04:15 »

Damn, Carl. Hope things resolve peacefully.

Spriteling

• Plantmonster
« Reply #4033 on: 12 Jan 2013, 05:20 »

There is a mouse in my flat.  Pol is hunting it and has it trapped and it is squeaking and sounding pathetic.  I feel traumatised and grossed out right now.

Papersatan

« Reply #4034 on: 12 Jan 2013, 05:26 »

One of our former apartments had mice and our cat caught two.  One was dead when we found him with it, and soaking wet from being licked, and missing one ear.... The other was still alive and he was playing with it.  I took the living one away from him and went and released it in the woods; the cat was most upset.  I know it probably died from internal bleeding or something anyways, but I just couldn't sit there and watch him torture it to death. 

Nature is brutal.

Spriteling

• Plantmonster
« Reply #4035 on: 12 Jan 2013, 05:56 »

One of our former apartments had mice and our cat caught two.  One was dead when we found him with it, and soaking wet from being licked, and missing one ear.... The other was still alive and he was playing with it.  I took the living one away from him and went and released it in the woods; the cat was most upset.  I know it probably died from internal bleeding or something anyways, but I just couldn't sit there and watch him torture it to death. 

Nature is brutal.

A friend came round and helped me capture the mouse Pol was hunting.  He's a kinda dumb cat, so he wasn't sure what to do once he'd trapped it.  The poor thing was shaking and terrified, but otherwise seemed okay, and now it's free outside. 

>.> I didn't realise how bad my mouse phobia was, though.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #4036 on: 12 Jan 2013, 06:42 »

It was a loooooong night....

At one point, she snuck out and went and talked to him without the kid.  He had calmed down (he really is a good kid), and has agreed to get counseling/therapy for his anger issues (which apparantly he's had for ages - I never knew) through the local VA hospital (it's one of the bigger and better ones in the state).  She took the baby to stay with her mom this morning. 

The black eye is subtle, but noticeable.  Had her take a picture of it, even if she doesn't make a report, as a reminder. 

They both want this to work, but it's been tough for them since they got back last year.  New kid, trying to find a place, trying to make ends meet... if anyone will make it, I think they will, but his (old) issues coming to a head has to be dealt with immediately

In the light of a new day, I'm optimistic.  I usually am...

K1dmor

• Beyoncé
« Reply #4037 on: 12 Jan 2013, 11:35 »

Nature is brutal.

A friend came round and helped me capture the mouse Pol was hunting.  He's a kinda dumb cat, so he wasn't sure what to do once he'd trapped it.  The poor thing was shaking and terrified, but otherwise seemed okay, and now it's free outside. 

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #4038 on: 12 Jan 2013, 14:16 »

I found out yesterday that a funding bid that I did 90% of the work on for the college was successful and that we're going to get £105,000 (about $170,000) over five years and a new staff member I'll have a hand in hiring.

It was a good week.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4039 on: 12 Jan 2013, 14:37 »

I just found an absolute gold mine of resources for tutoring. I was thinking desperately "what on earth am I going to teach this kid, he is fluent in English and learning a bucketload of grammar at his English institute?" and I randomly googled something like "writing for different purposes" and came across the BBC Learning Zone videos. I've just built an entire mini study unit using three videos, and they lead neatly into something I've tried in several different ways over the last 18 months teaching the same student. Every time we do any kind of writing, his English is noticably better. I was starting to think I'd have to tell his mum that there was nothing more I could teach him, but clearly all I was lacking was a bit of imagination and some googlefu.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #4040 on: 12 Jan 2013, 14:44 »

So I think I am going to do drag shows this semester.
And if I do, I will of course be posting pictures on the forum
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #4041 on: 12 Jan 2013, 14:59 »

It's times like right now that I am so happy you can embed yootoob videos on the forums these days.

Papersatan

« Reply #4042 on: 13 Jan 2013, 12:54 »

So I am only 2/3 done with the half of my semester schedule I can do (see my oughta be a law thread post) and should be starting my readings for next Friday, since we have crossed the starting line and things will only pile up from here, but instead I am trying to teach myself to build an Android app. 

I have only the most minimal programming skills, and all of them I gained in the last 3 semesters.  But I have an app I really want to make, and I am sure it is outside of my skill set to make it at this point, but I am going to try.  I am trying a new approach to schooling.  I am not going on to a PhD, I just don't have the grades for it (I've a 3.4, tangent... I always have a 3.4.  In community college, 3.49 in undergrad 3.47 right now 3.46.... note for non-USA folks most scholarships and higher level programs have lower cutoffs at 3.5...) Also, I am not sure I can afford it financially or emotionally.  With that in mind my new approach is to only worry about passing my classes, but to get as much experience doing things as possible. 

I keep being told that even if I can't gain expertise in a thing, knowing what I am talking about and being able to talk to people who are experts will be a big selling point for me in interviews.  So, I am going to make an app this semester, even if it ends up clunky and buggy and unusable.  No one is ever going to hire me to develop apps, but I think the experience will be good for me.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4043 on: 13 Jan 2013, 14:45 »

I believe that unless you need a top grade in order to get to what you want to do next, it is always best to aim to do acceptably well, and spend the remaining time gaining a broader education. I could probably get a first in my degree if I did nothing else. But I'd probably burn out and almost certainly give up and quit because it would be so boring. The girls who want to be lawyers are aiming for the best marks they can get because they want jobs. I just want to graduate.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4044 on: 13 Jan 2013, 14:57 »

That's wise.  I spent a couple of hours a day while preparing for engineering science finals playing the harpsichord in the Ashmolean Museum; I even made a recording of it which is now in the National Sound Archive of the British Library.

Mind you, I also didn't need to think about getting a job, because I'd already got one in advance (at the BBC).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4045 on: 13 Jan 2013, 15:30 »

And I don't need to think about getting a job because I took entirely the wrong degree and have to requalify! Haha! Ha! Ha! Ha!  :-\

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #4046 on: 13 Jan 2013, 15:53 »

heeheehohohaha,  but as I recall it, you've stuck with the wrong degree because it's a Highly Regarded Degree from a Very Reputable Institution which, when combined with your midwifery training, will surely qualify you when you finally are chosen PM.

Papersatan

« Reply #4047 on: 13 Jan 2013, 16:22 »

I decided to take an extra semester, which was a very expensive decision.  It does mean I don't need to start the job search process yet though.

I finished the first section of Google's tutorial for building an Android app.  I now have a useless little app that does what every "first program" does.  It prints back the text I enter into it.  I am very happy with it though.  I think I am just going to progress through their tutorials and comment the hell out of the code.  My main problem is that everything is in Java and XML, neither of which I know at all, so I am just piecing it together as I go and I am bound to have a ton of frustrations when I try to do something on my own.  I think I am going to start going to the "coffee house coders" group that meets in Ann Arbor though.  I have heard they are friendly people who don't mind explaining things when you are stuck. 

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #4048 on: 13 Jan 2013, 16:59 »

I envy you that experience. I created a little music notation recognition program in BASIC in the mid-80s, but never went further. There are a couple of projects that interest me, but at this point not enough to start from scratch.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4049 on: 14 Jan 2013, 06:26 »

I woke up to snow. It has been snowing heavily all day. There is a good chance I will not be able to get to my blood donation appointment tomorrow. Sadly I don't think there is a good chance that the rehearsals for Saturday's ridiculous concert will be cancelled :( Even though we won't be able to cycle there and will have to walk.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 84   Go Up