Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 08 Dec 2021, 18:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Blog Thread IIIb : Look Who's Blogging Now  (Read 74721 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Re: Blog Thread IIIb : Look Who's Blogging Now
« Reply #4150 on: 21 Jan 2013, 06:39 »

I think that narrowing it down to only the worst ignores the fact that racism is a very ingrained part of society, in many ways appearing in ways that you just don't notice in day to day activities.

I agree in principle; but I think we may disagree markedly on where the boundary should lie.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #4151 on: 21 Jan 2013, 06:43 »

Indeed...I mean, if the shirt has Thomas Nast-style caricatures of Asians, with tiny slits for eyes, big teeth and no hair save for a long braid at the back, then it's racist...otherwise, it's just bad fashion sense.
I had to go to http://www.etymonline.com to be sure "nasty" didn't come from Nast.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #4152 on: 21 Jan 2013, 07:07 »

It is currently nine degrees below freezing here in the Great North Woods of Wisconsin.

That translates to -23 Celsius for our friends not in the States.

What it REALLY translates to is ####ing COLD.

(And despite the cold, I can still censor myself.)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4153 on: 21 Jan 2013, 07:25 »

I hope that wasn't a dig at me, Houk...

I am considering getting some earplugs. I'm not sure where one buys earplugs, other than in large quantities on the internet.

This morning I went into town and bought a few things I needed, returned an adaptor which I'd bought for the airbed pump which didn't work (a slightly hairy moment when the guy at the shop said "Oh, it sounds like you've blown the fuse" or something, but actually when he tested it the adaptor worked fine so it was indeed the pump that didn't work, which I've already successfully returned), and then on a whim went into a shoe shop and bought some boot wax. My Docs were looking like they needed a bit of care and my brown boots which I've worn almost daily this winter have practically fallen to pieces from not being properly looked after so it was well past due. The brown boots have actually changed colour thanks to the wax, they were so dry and de-moistured. Sadly unlike the skin on my hands, moisturising the leather doesn't appear to have magical fixing qualities so I'll still need to buy some new ones but they should last a bit longer now.

Adulthood: when you notice that something needs attention and you deal with it.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4154 on: 21 Jan 2013, 07:46 »

May, I buy earplugs at drug stores. So whatever the UK equivalent to a CVS or Walgreens is, try there?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #4155 on: 21 Jan 2013, 07:53 »

I was about to suggest the same.

And for me, an important path to adulthood was realizing that my car really needed oil changes often than every 12-15,000 miles. I was a little past 30 (age, not mileage) when I made this discovery. Nowadays, oil changes are somewhere between 4-6,000. But YMMV.

nekowafer

• [email protected]*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #4156 on: 21 Jan 2013, 08:00 »

Adulthood for me: Doing things I don't want to do with only a few complaints.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #4157 on: 21 Jan 2013, 08:18 »

For me, adulthood is being happy about getting money every week, but then the happiness goes away along with my money, to pay off my debts.

But the silver lining is that I actually enjoy my job.
Worry Hat, Engage!

BeoPuppy

« Reply #4158 on: 21 Jan 2013, 08:47 »

Adulthood = kid, for me.

At times.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #4159 on: 21 Jan 2013, 09:25 »

I am considering getting some earplugs. I'm not sure where one buys earplugs, other than in large quantities on the internet.

In the UK, Boots or Superdrug, for a start.  You might also see if ear-plugs or ear-plugging compounds made for swimming would suit your usage (also from Boots, I think).  Shops that sell travel goods might well have earplugs for travellers, as well.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Fair warning, an avatar change is coming
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
« Reply #4160 on: 21 Jan 2013, 09:44 »

Man. I realize I still have awesome friends and they're helping me through my bud's move a lot. But it's just harder than I expected it to be to have a friend as casually close as Greg move off. He's one of those people where every single stupid idiosyncrasy of ours under the sun is first nature, realtalk comes second, and love is taken for granted because how else could it even be? Brotherhood.

It's the second night of him being inaccessible, and I'm crying myself to sleep again. Fuck. I'm realizing now that I'm definitely capable of forming meaningful friendships despite my constant moves (and despite my belief otherwise), I'm also capable of forming the kind of friendships that are this level of symbiotic.

Ultimately I'm going to have to start thinking of this as an opportunity to reflect on what level of closeness is possible in a friendship, and that's going to be good for me; we could all use more faith in people. But for now I'm just gonna appreciate this one enough to really be shaken when it's separated this much. If that means bawling, fuck it.

These are all positive, healthy feelings to have.

I had these same feelings when I left Preston to move to Abingdon. I left behind basically every real friend I'd ever made, and I still hardly see most of them. Unfortunately it drove me to some pretty dark places.

But treasure that friendship for what it was while it lasted. There's very little like it. And for a few glorious moments in the future you might see each other again and it'll be like nothing's changed at all.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4161 on: 21 Jan 2013, 11:52 »

Thanks, Paul and Linds - it was rather dense of me not to think of that.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Zingoleb

« Reply #4162 on: 21 Jan 2013, 14:20 »

English-speaking people buy "Engrish" clothing all the time, because they think it's hilarious.

I rather like Engrish stuff. I can see how it can be construed as racist, but I look at it on a level that's both simpler and more complex - how languages are translated, how languages that use certain phonemes can be harder to access in languages that don't use them, and systems for translating eastern languages into western languages (this last one most hilariously resulting from Gan4).

So I'm not sure if Engrish in and of itself is racist - it's kind of an expected language barrier that has some pretty hilarious, unintended outcomes, which can be said of, well, any language trying to be spoken/written by someone who isn't fluent in it. There was a discussion earlier (I think between Kat and Akima?) that touched on how in some Asian languages (I can't remember the exact specifics - sorry!) there's no 'L' - and so it easily becomes mixed up with 'R', which is why you see so many L->R mistranslations - like displays for Eric Crapton, or, y'know, "Engrish."

So part of my fascination with it is because it's funny but also because it shows how language barriers affect communication in a very real way. I'd like to think that's not racist, but as a, y'know, white person I'm not exactly the best judge of what is or is not racist.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Fair warning, an avatar change is coming
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
« Reply #4163 on: 21 Jan 2013, 15:37 »

I'm sure Japanese folk will buy badly translated Japanese shit from English people, or would if it existed. It's funny because it makes no sense. It's not like 'Haha Japanese people are idiots, look how badly they speak our language.' It's 'Haha, look how badly translated this is, regardless of source.'

I once liked one bit of Engrish so much - 'Your happy is my business' - that I got it put on a t-shirt. It's such a positive message!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #4164 on: 21 Jan 2013, 15:47 »

My favourite one I've seen was a t-shirt my Da brought back from one of his work trips to China. "Go to the sky and reach a limit." My brothers and I loved the idea of choosing one limit and reaching it, then just stopping. Forget about any other goals, you only get to reach one.

I also feel the humour comes from the bad translation creating some silly nonsense regardless of source.
Dogs are fuzzy. :wow:
~They/Their/Them~

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4165 on: 21 Jan 2013, 17:04 »

I once liked one bit of Engrish so much - 'Your happy is my business' - that I got it put on a t-shirt. It's such a positive message!
That's an awesome creeper shirt, I do believe.

My favourite one I've seen was a t-shirt my Da brought back from one of his work trips to China. "Go to the sky and reach a limit." My brothers and I loved the idea of choosing one limit and reaching it, then just stopping. Forget about any other goals, you only get to reach one.
Mathematically hilarious.

I heard that several KFC restaurants that opened in China had to change their signage, because the slogan was mistranslated. The original was "KFC: Finger-lickin' Good!" but was translated into Szechuan for local management approval, then back into "English"...the final design read "KFC: Eat Your Fingers Off, It's Good!"

Yum.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Zingoleb

« Reply #4166 on: 21 Jan 2013, 17:27 »

My particular favourite was the one with Perdue chickens in Mexico, where it got translated from "It takes a strong man to make a chicken tender," to "Se necesita un hombre potente para que un pollo sea afectuoso," which apparently means, more or less, "One needs a virile man in order to make a chicken affectionate."

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4167 on: 21 Jan 2013, 17:52 »

My particular favourite was the one with Perdue chickens in Mexico, where it got translated from "It takes a strong man to make a chicken tender," to "Se necesita un hombre potente para que un pollo sea afectuoso," which apparently means, more or less, "One needs a virile man in order to make a chicken affectionate."

Lol... It gives new meaning to the term "Cockfight".
Worry Hat, Engage!

Akima

• Preventing third impact
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #4168 on: 21 Jan 2013, 18:00 »

It's an assortment of "Japan" related things: bamboo, cherry blossoms, peonies, pagodas, stylized waves, Japanese writing....
Orientalist perhaps, with possibly a dash of cultural appropriation depending on where the fabric was made, but not really racist in my opinion. Engrish stuff is much more questionable, because a big part of the joke is "Ha ha, these weird yellow people sure talk funny, don't they? Not like us superior people!".

I think that narrowing it down to only the worst ignores the fact that racism is a very ingrained part of society, in many ways appearing in ways that you just don't notice in day to day activities.
I am certainly not going to disagree with that...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4169 on: 21 Jan 2013, 18:21 »

So I nailed the interview for the new company. The interview was that I showed up and filled out paperwork.

They're getting us a golf cart to ride around in instead of walking now!
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4170 on: 21 Jan 2013, 19:22 »

Golf carts, yay!

Do you get paid a proper salary that corresponds to your golf-cart-ness? Or is the golf cart its own reward?

In other news:

I will be receiving six (Count 'em, SIX) W-2 forms, a 1099-G and a 1099-M for taxes this year. The crappiness of last year's job market is dealing me one final blow in the form of a bureaucratic fight to the death. If I'm lucky, I might be able to qualify for a tax credit. HAHAHA yeah right. I'm not rich, only rich bastards with offshore accounts in the Caymans get tax credits. Fuckers.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4171 on: 21 Jan 2013, 20:01 »

Well I'm getting a 40% raise. and I get to drive a golfcart around which is fun.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #4172 on: 21 Jan 2013, 20:20 »

The fabric is question was manufactured for the Alexander Henry Collection, located in Burbank California and was purchased at JoAnns, a major fabric retailer in the US.

[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4173 on: 21 Jan 2013, 20:34 »

LOL JoAnn fabrics...they're not bad, nice selection.

So, can anyone translate that?
Worry Hat, Engage!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #4174 on: 22 Jan 2013, 07:15 »

I hope that wasn't a dig at me, Houk...

No, dear, you know me. I cuss like a sailor sometimes at work. The kids make me do it.

But it is STILL ####ing cold outside.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #4175 on: 22 Jan 2013, 08:42 »

I found some of my old writings, including fanfics and they're not as terrible as I thought they were. My newer old writing had levelled up from sucking. Maybe in a few years I'll think what I'm currently writing is okay.
Dogs are fuzzy. :wow:
~They/Their/Them~

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #4176 on: 22 Jan 2013, 09:05 »

This thread has got scarily long, so I thought it was time to have a nice new one.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84]   Go Up