THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 04:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread. - B  (Read 68644 times)

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
Re: Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread. - B
« Reply #1600 on: 10 May 2011, 12:49 »

Better pro-union legislation might just.
I reckon that the extent to which pro-union legislation would have to go to fix Walmart would basically be nationalizing the store.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1601 on: 10 May 2011, 13:04 »

Bought a trench coat from Modcloth the other day. Excited. Hope it fits.

Oh wow, that's great. I want that.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1602 on: 10 May 2011, 13:22 »

Oh hey so, there's a thing in town next month..it's basically a prom for grown ups with really cheap drinks. I went last year randomly and it was fun.

This year, the theme is 60s. Ascot, y/n?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1603 on: 10 May 2011, 13:35 »

y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1604 on: 10 May 2011, 13:37 »

Okay. charcoal grey, paired with jacket of the same color and a teal shirt.

And a repro Bobby Kennedy pin on the lapel for added touch.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1605 on: 10 May 2011, 19:26 »

You must post pictures of this when you wear it. MUST.

Re Walmart: Not having money sucks. Buy your stuff where you can afford it. When you can afford to avoid Mart of Wal, then you can do so if you so desire. Luckily I have been able to that for a while now, mostly because I usually buy generics that are on sale at Kroger for food and sometimes go to Sams with my mom to buy other things in bulk. As for clothes, I save up for the good stuff when possible, but I usually only go shopping when I have coupons or there is a sale. /walmart

Back to FASHUNS: I have a design proposal Thursday. How dressy should I get? Khakis and nice shirt with flats? Dress with flats? Dress pants + shirt + heels? I don't know how fancy I should be. :c
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1606 on: 11 May 2011, 05:46 »

Psssh Linds, if you go to the wedding, I'll re-wear it.

I told Jon I'd look better than him, but he's not expecting ASCOT.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #1607 on: 13 May 2011, 13:59 »

Alright folks, my friend runs a pretty cool fashion blog and we're collabing. For 30 days we are challenging ourselves to never repeat an article of clothing and document it daily. This project's starting next week and I'll link it when it does. Pretty stoked. Plus, she's a very fashionable and creative person, so maybe it'll give some inspiration to y'all on the forum.
I like the way you work it.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1608 on: 13 May 2011, 22:16 »

For 30 days we are challenging ourselves to never repeat an article of clothing and document it daily.

Never repeat an outfit, or actually an article of clothing?  I mean, I am not the most fashionable, I know, but I have like 10 options to cover my butt, including dresses.  I cannot imagine having that much clothing. 

Also a long time ago I asked the advice of this thread on purses.  You were not so helpful, but Allison was, she bought me a purse that met my requirements for Christmas.  But now I got a new phone, and so my requirements changed cause it doesn't fit in my purse.  I bought a new purse today.  It is a grown up purse.

This one in marine.  It is the first name brand purse I have ever owned.  I got it for a pretty good deal because I work at Macy's.  I paid less than 50 with tax.  That is by far the most I have ever spent on a purse. I hope it lasts me for a while. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #1609 on: 14 May 2011, 02:29 »

Considering I currently have about five pair of work pants and the ones I wear are $100+ filling out the rest of the 30 days would be a pretty expensive exercise for me.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1610 on: 14 May 2011, 03:30 »

I just went two weeks without laundry but that's using only two pairs of pants and a few different sweaters. Just change the underwear, t-shirt and socks every day.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #1611 on: 14 May 2011, 06:31 »

I have maybe 15 pairs of pants, and most of them can be worn twice. I definitely have enough t-shirts. Bras, underwear, and socks no way. And anything fancier than a t-shirt and jeans no way, hah. So I can go 30 days without washing any cold-water laundry! That's about it.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1612 on: 14 May 2011, 06:47 »

I have enough dumb t-shirts to last me, but I'd run out of bottoms about halfway through. Well, I could do this, but I'd look like a slob half of the month. I kind of depend on a few staples and then switching them around. (It's easy when you stick with one color palette, because then everything goes together.)

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #1613 on: 14 May 2011, 06:54 »

I have one pair of jeans
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1614 on: 14 May 2011, 07:39 »

I can go like, 2 months without doing laundry other than socks and underpants.
I have 4 pairs of skinny jeans, 4 pairs of regular jeans, skinny jean cut offs, and like, 60 goddamn tshirts. Oh also like 3 button shirts, and 3 pairs of trousers.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #1615 on: 14 May 2011, 07:43 »

how the fuck do you people accumulate so many goddamn clothes, you can't all make that much more money than me
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1616 on: 14 May 2011, 08:27 »

I tend to hang on to clothes that don't have holes in them. Over half of them I don't wear possibly because they don't fit or are stupid tshirts I wear when I'm working outside or generally being messy. Of the ones that do fit, about half of those are for teaching. So I only wear about 1/4 of the things I own on a regular basis. Also a lot of the clothes I have now I bought when I was working full time and actually had money.

I really need to get rid of some shoes, though. I have far too many and not enough space for them.

Papersatan

« Reply #1617 on: 14 May 2011, 08:32 »

I have maybe 15 pairs of pants, and most of them can be worn twice.

No. The rules, as written, were without repeating an article of clothing.  I wear my jeans a whole bunch between washings, but if I had to not rewear something for 30 days, I would be pants-less by day 10.  

how the fuck do you people accumulate so many goddamn clothes, you can't all make that much more money than me

Maybe we have cheaper clothing?  My jeans were 8 dollars from a clearance rack.  Also when I say 10 things to wear on the bottom I am including things like, the dress I bought to go to a wedding last month.  
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1618 on: 14 May 2011, 09:10 »

Ooh, you are correct. I definitely couldn't do that challenge then.

I used to work at Hot Topic and always bought my t-shirts on half off clearance day. Which meant regular price, minus half, minus half, minus 40%. So they were amazingly cheap. Same with a few pairs of pants. The rest I got at Goodwill, usually on one of their sale days. Shoes and fancy clothing are the only things I spend any real money on.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1619 on: 14 May 2011, 16:23 »

Yes, massive sales and coupons and outlets and clearance racks are my friends. I hate buying things full price.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1620 on: 14 May 2011, 17:20 »

How do you guys need any more than two pairs of pants

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1621 on: 14 May 2011, 20:26 »

Some of us like to gain weight and not fit in our pants anymore. But you're right, we don't need any more than 2 pairs of jeans that actually fit.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1622 on: 14 May 2011, 20:49 »

I own more than 2 pairs of pants because I can't wear jeans when I'm teaching. I own about 10 pairs of pants, most of which are not jeans and vary in thickness to be worn in different types of weather (winter/summer). I'm pretty sure most of the people who post in this thread have more clothes than I do, though.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #1623 on: 14 May 2011, 23:53 »

Because we can't wear skirts or dresses.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1624 on: 15 May 2011, 04:24 »

I have worn the same size shirts since I was a freshman in high school. I have shirts that are almost 7 years old. I used to buy at least one shirt every time I went to a concert, I'd usually go to about one concert a month. Also, when I got a job, I would occasionally buy shirts online or in stores on sale, in groups of about 5. For the past couple years I've done that. So, if you take 6x12 (6 years since I started frequently going to concerts, haven't been at all this year, but have bought more shirts online and in stores, sometimes I'd buy more than one shirt at a concert too!) and add maybe 10 or 15 on top of that, you can see how I have so much clothes.

The skinny jeans are in different colors. black, almost but not quite black, denim-ish, and white. I have two pairs of black jeans and two pairs of blue jeans. One of those pairs is cheap and I wear them to work where they get covered in donut glaze and chocolate. I don't wear the white ones very often, but when I do I pair it with a white tshirt.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1625 on: 15 May 2011, 06:16 »

Ok busty ladies, where are good places to shop for sundresses? I don't know if I'll be able to find anything at Lane Bryant because usually their 14/16 sizes are too big and that's what their dresses all seem to be. (I border on 12/14 for tops.)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1626 on: 15 May 2011, 06:34 »

Have you tried Torrid, Fashion Bug, or Ashley Stewart? They're all very hit or miss, but worth a shot.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1627 on: 15 May 2011, 07:13 »

No I have not, I'll give them a look. I'm just at that weird in between size where I have a hard time finding things in "regular" size that is big enough and things in "plus" size that are small enough. Or they'll fit great except they are way too low cut and then it's OMGBOOBFEST.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #1628 on: 15 May 2011, 08:49 »

Some of us like to gain weight and not fit in our pants anymore. But you're right, we don't need any more than 2 pairs of jeans that actually fit.

Alternatively, some of us like to lose weight and not being able to fill our pants anymore.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

nobo

« Reply #1629 on: 15 May 2011, 12:29 »

Your problem can be fixed with a belt. The only solution to mine is new pants, or sweatpants all day every day.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1630 on: 15 May 2011, 12:50 »

Not really. It's definitely easier to get them altered, but it's uncomfortable to wear pants that are too big and then cinch them with a belt. Also the waist will bulge in weird places from the extra fabric gathering together.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #1631 on: 15 May 2011, 14:53 »

Black jeans, indigo jeans, dress slacks, khaki/casual slacks, messed-up pants/jeans for doing messy work, non-cotton camping/outdoorsy pants.

And that's without getting into shorts. I know it gets hot enough where you live to need shorts. Unless Steve Irwin and the Crocodile Dundee lied to me.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1632 on: 15 May 2011, 15:09 »

What Nodaisho said, but a couple pairs each, give or take.

I don't own any shorts though other than some swim trunks. I just don't like them. Even my two summers in Phoenix weren't enough to break my resolve on this issue.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

nobo

« Reply #1633 on: 15 May 2011, 15:33 »

It is 43 deg F here and I am rocking some shorts. You crazy.

Dude is hardcore.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #1634 on: 15 May 2011, 15:42 »

<insert pokemon quote here>
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1635 on: 15 May 2011, 16:43 »

I have not generally thought of myself as a person with way more clothes than most people.  But I just counted, and I could wear 67 different bottom-coverings without repeating: 22 dresses, 19 skirts, 17 pants/shorts, 9 work items. After reading people's responses in this thread, that's... embarrassing.

But I don't think I have ever spent more than $40 on an item of clothing.  I have a lot of gifts, hand-me-downs, inherited items... when I buy clothes these days, it's mostly from Goodwill and Target.  Plus, I have (and can still wear) a significant portion of the stuff I was wearing in my early teens.

Still embarrassing, though.  I should probably donate some clothing.

Nodaisho

« Reply #1636 on: 15 May 2011, 17:05 »

I don't own any shorts though other than some swim trunks. I just don't like them. Even my two summers in Phoenix weren't enough to break my resolve on this issue.
I don't like them either, but the Smokey Mountains in August were enough to break my resolve. I need to find some that I like, I think. I have a couple pairs that are okay for going to the gym, but none that I like.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1637 on: 15 May 2011, 17:05 »

I do have some shorts, skirts and dresses, but 90% of the time, even in Summer, I will wear jeans. I have a blue pair and a black pair, and then I only bought the black pair recently.
Also I have to go out today and buy some new blue jeans because I realised yesterday I have a rip right near my bum. This is the problem with never washing your jeans - the folds that are in high-traffic areas (this one was pretty much on my bum crease) weaken very quickly and eventually turn into rips.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1638 on: 15 May 2011, 17:49 »

I haven't worn jeans since 2004 or so! I just dislike the look on me, I think. I just get slacks from thrift shops all the time.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #1639 on: 15 May 2011, 20:35 »

Speaking of jeans, what's the feeling on ripped/worn jeans? I have one pair that has a few spots at that perfect level of stylishly-threadbare right before it actually turns into a rip. They fit me perfectly too, so I feel uber-cool when I wear them. I'm just reluctant to wear them often because I'm afraid I'm going to upset the delicate balance and actually turn the worn spots into big tears, and I don't want to ruin them when a lot of people pay good money to buy clothes that look this way. Plus I'm pretty proud of getting them to this point through natural wear.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1640 on: 15 May 2011, 21:07 »

Just don't wear them to work. And never wash them again. The key to wearing unwashed jeans is SPOT CLEANING (also turn them inside out and air them outside/febreze).

Nodaisho

« Reply #1641 on: 15 May 2011, 21:34 »

I thought you weren't supposed to spot clean them much or you would wear the dye out on the spots you clean, and leave them blotchy? Is that just for the first few washes, when the indigo hasn't completely set yet?

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #1642 on: 15 May 2011, 22:57 »

Sticky damp heat is way harder to wear jeans in than dry arid heat. I wear climbing pants and shorts in the summers, except around ponies when I am not allowed to wear things other than jeans or jodhpurs, and then I stay inside or in the shade as much as possible.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1643 on: 16 May 2011, 03:24 »

Also I have to go out today and buy some new blue jeans because I realised yesterday I have a rip right near my bum.

Patch that shit instead of buying new jeans! You will save yourself lots of money and be troopunx

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1644 on: 16 May 2011, 04:54 »

Yeah, I can't really wear troopunx to work. They will be Home Jeans.
The new jeans I got (Doctor Denims) are actually navy rather than proper indigo denim, so hopefully they will fade less.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1645 on: 16 May 2011, 05:29 »

None of my pants fit me quite right. I am apparently at a weird in-between size, along with being a weird shape. So every day I have to choose if I want the ones that are tight, look good, but suffocate me when I sit, or the ones that are kinda loose, and sag in odd places. Also I never really wear anything but jeans anymore. I like other pants but slacks/dress pants always look awful on me.

I used to only wear men's shorts, because they were wide-legged and long enough to cover my knees. Now I'll wear women's shorts, as long as when I stand up, they cover all of my knee cap. If they're any longer, I look short and dumpy.

Also saying I have 15 pairs of pants makes me feel like I have way too much clothing. But they are only the ones that currently fit me.. I have another whole stack of pants waiting for me to lose weight again.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1646 on: 16 May 2011, 09:33 »

I only have one pair of jeans without indecently large holes at the top of the inside leg (not high enough to see any underwear but too high to be troopunx), and one pair of black trousers for work. A few skirts and lots of dresses but mostly I wear jeans. I have a fair few formal dresses too. What I do have is over a months' worth of underwear (not including bras, which have to be handwashed anyway), since when I was ice skating I needed two pairs of long socks per day and didn't have time to do laundry twice a week, and when I was doing theatre I'd be away for months at a time without access to washing facilities.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #1647 on: 16 May 2011, 10:26 »

For 30 days we are challenging ourselves to never repeat an article of clothing and document it daily.

Never repeat an outfit, or actually an article of clothing?  I mean, I am not the most fashionable, I know, but I have like 10 options to cover my butt, including dresses.  I cannot imagine having that much clothing.

Yes, Kat, the challenge in not to repeat a single article of clothing, with the exception of undergarments (ie. tanks/undershirts), jackets and shoes. As part of the challenge, you are not allowed to purchase any clothing during the 30 days and document your outfit everything day.

My friend and I are both pretty into using fashion/clothing to express ourselves creatively, and although I have a significant amount of clothing, I do not think it is that much larger than the average woman's in my age bracket. The challenge/exercise is meant to illustrate just how much as a gender, and society we buy, and how often we buy without realizing just what we have in our own closets. We have all uttered at one point of another "ugh, I have nothing to wear!" What Robyn and I trying to do is make us think about what we own, and use our creativity and imagination (instead of our wallets) in expressing ourselves through the fashion medium. My friend and I are getting together this week to shoot/organize our first blog post, probably to be posted at the end of this week. It's going to be a fun, challenging and interesting 30 days!
I like the way you work it.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1648 on: 16 May 2011, 16:31 »

I've also seen the challenge recently where you set aside 30 items for 30 days, and wear ONLY THOSE THINGS. So like, 3 pairs of pants, 4 skirts, 3 t-shirts, 3 blouses, 2 jackets, 5 accessories. The laides I have seen do it still look pretty great at the end. I actually documented my clothes earlier this year (or maybe last year) and it turns out that I only have about 30 articles of clothing that I regularly wear anyway. Why is it still so hard to get dressed every day?

Another challenge I love is the uniform one, where you pick a simple black dress (several that are exactly the same) and use accessories and extra clothing to make it look different every day.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1649 on: 16 May 2011, 17:18 »

There was a girl I know who took it to the extreme and wore the exact same outfit everyday, including her under garments. She spent a lot of time washing her clothes, obviously, but she did it.

I still don't know why, but hey.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34   Go Up