THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 00:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 92   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: The Guitar Topic - B  (Read 157396 times)

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Re: Re: The Guitar Topic - B
« Reply #250 on: 09 Jun 2009, 12:31 »

TRIPLEPOST COMBO 1000 POINTS!

My Creston will be here TOMORROW. Pants: shat
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

NotAFanOfFenders

• The German Chancellory building
  • even furrier
« Reply #251 on: 09 Jun 2009, 12:33 »

Your tales of the Rose are giving me the chills jeph, stop it

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #252 on: 09 Jun 2009, 12:35 »

Man at least you don't have to take the whole neck off just to make 1/8 turn on your truss rod. I swear I'd slap Leo for that if he wasn't dead.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #253 on: 09 Jun 2009, 12:47 »

The bridge on my '95 Mexi Tele is made out of sh*t that was eaten and then sh*t out again by the same pack of diseased chihuahuas at a chihuahua canine mental health facility. Which is pretty much what started me on the path of researching good replacements. Those sh&tty pickups are going too. And the neck. So basically I'll keep the body. Which is red. So I am actually contemplating going black with all the hardware, black sperzels, pickups, and pickguard. And an ebony fretboard. With just the white side markers dots. But then I should probably get the headstock painted either red or black...or not do anything.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #254 on: 09 Jun 2009, 13:10 »

Guitar experts: Should I sell my US Strat and buy a Jazzmaster? And, if I do, which one do I go for? There only seems to be two types available easily in the UK, both around about the same price, but it depends which one the shops here actually sell. Or if they even stock any.

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier
« Reply #255 on: 09 Jun 2009, 13:26 »

I'm toying with the Idea of swapping out the bridge on my tele. Its a mexican standard and its only a year or two old ( I bought it new last summer, never checked the manufacturing date), so its got the "modern" style bridge with six saddles. Would buying a wilkinson compensated bridge and using it as a top-laoder make that big of a difference in tone and/or sustain, and if not, would buying a six-saddle "vintage" style make a difference?

If anything, the Wilkinson should IMPROVE the tone, but unless you're planning on putting a different kind of pickup in the bridge, why bother changing it? Tele bridges are made to house Tele pickups.

If you want to improve the tone of your guitar, swap out the shitty mexican pickups for some decent Seymour Duncans before you go messing about with the bridge.

First thing I did with the thing was put Lace Sensors in it. One step ahead of you.

Tehz

• and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #256 on: 09 Jun 2009, 13:32 »

Guitar experts: Should I sell my US Strat and buy a Jazzmaster? And, if I do, which one do I go for? There only seems to be two types available easily in the UK, both around about the same price, but it depends which one the shops here actually sell. Or if they even stock any.

What two kinds?

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Tehz

• and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #258 on: 09 Jun 2009, 20:07 »

Honestly, both are pretty quality instruments. When it comes right down to it though, you should play them and see if you prefer them to your Strat; Jazzmasters seem to be an acquired taste for a lot of people.

If you do play and like them though, I heartily recommend it. Jazzmasters are my favorite guitar and I love mine to death.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #259 on: 10 Jun 2009, 00:25 »

The bridge on my '95 Mexi Tele is made out of sh*t that was eaten and then sh*t out again by the same pack of diseased chihuahuas at a chihuahua canine mental health facility. Which is pretty much what started me on the path of researching good replacements. Those sh&tty pickups are going too. And the neck. So basically I'll keep the body. Which is red. So I am actually contemplating going black with all the hardware, black sperzels, pickups, and pickguard. And an ebony fretboard. With just the white side markers dots. But then I should probably get the headstock painted either red or black...or not do anything.

If you're making that many replacements, you might wanna tally up the cost and see if it'd be cheaper just to buy a new, better Telecaster.

Absolutely play the Jazzmaster(s) before you sell the Strat. The "classic player" model is a little better built in that they fixed some of the problems endemic to vintage-spec Jazzmasters, but it's really up to you. Personally I think they have a little more personality and a lot more oomph than Strats, although they don't tend to be as tuning-stable. But whatever- if it's good enough for J. Mascis and My Bloody Valentine it's good enough for me.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #260 on: 10 Jun 2009, 02:37 »

So my Yamaha beginner guitar is spluttering and constantly getting out of tune, and the selector switch stops working half of the time. This should be a hint to me that I need a new guitar.

However, I don't have much money at all to my name so those 'fancy' guitars are out of the question. On the topic of Jazzmasters, I would love one, and I love the sound, but like I said, I definitely can't afford it.

So I guess it comes down to: what's the word on the squier jagmaster? Any other suggestions for about that price range. I realize I'm not going to get a fantastic guitar for that price range, but it would mainly be a temporary thing (read: 6 months to a year) before I make some decent money to be able to sink into it.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier
« Reply #261 on: 10 Jun 2009, 08:02 »

The classic player is built in Japan if I'm not mistaken. Fender Japan is supposed to be almost as good if not just as good as American fenders, but cheaper of course. I'd try and find one used if I were  you, since Fender just raised their prices like 30%. (A thousand bucks for a Mexican Thinline=criminal)

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #262 on: 10 Jun 2009, 10:01 »

If you're making that many replacements, you might wanna tally up the cost and see if it'd be cheaper just to buy a new, better Telecaster.
Well I am kind of doing it for kicks and to learn stuff. And this is kind of my way to get it my way. But It will be a while in this economy before I can do feck all. Thanks for the advice though. JJ.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #263 on: 10 Jun 2009, 12:01 »

The classic player is built in Japan if I'm not mistaken.

Mexico. Fender Japan doesn't export to the U.S. due to legal restrictions.

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier
« Reply #264 on: 10 Jun 2009, 12:29 »

Really? I thought for sure those black HH's were Fender Japan. Bastards at Guitar Center need to learn their shit.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #265 on: 10 Jun 2009, 13:15 »

Really? I thought for sure those black HH's were Fender Japan. Bastards at Guitar Center need to learn their shit.
Oh jeez, if they open their mouths just walk away from them.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #266 on: 10 Jun 2009, 13:17 »

I'm in the UK, so it might be Japanese? There are a lot of the Japanese Fender guitars here.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #267 on: 10 Jun 2009, 15:01 »

I know piss-all about HH Jags, but I can tell you for absolute certainty that the CP Jags and Jazzes are all 100% hecho en México. I've had my nose so far up their consumer relations department's ass over the last year and a half, I can smell their tonsils.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #268 on: 10 Jun 2009, 15:25 »

IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE

Sorry these were taken with my iPhone, it's all I had handy. For super-nice fancy-pants photos of the guitar you can see it over on Creston's website.

I took a couple more photos that show stuff that isn't in the Creston gallery:

[img width= height=]http://www.questionablecontent.net/random/baseballbat.jpg[/img]
I told Creston I liked "big necks" and he took me very, very literally. This thing's a friggin' baseball bat, and I LOVE IT SO MUCH OH MY GOD. Huge but completely playable and comfortable.

[img width= height=]http://www.questionablecontent.net/random/custompickupring.jpg[/img]
The custom pickup ring sits flush to the rest of the pickguard. Gives the guitar a neat look and doesn't catch on your knuckles like a Les Paul pickup ring sometimes can.

And finally, here's an audio walkthrough of the guitar. It sounds amazing. It plays amazing. I have the nerdiest voice in the world.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2009, 15:34 by jeph »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #269 on: 10 Jun 2009, 15:53 »

Man I have been posting too much in this thread as it is, and now I have GAS and it's all your fault.

Also, nice use of drop D.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #270 on: 10 Jun 2009, 15:54 »

...but how is it in bed?

I am incredibly jealous.

edwinalink

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Likes Glitter and 4x4's
« Reply #271 on: 10 Jun 2009, 17:09 »

everything jeph said.

SHIT. i was so damn near set on a lefty Schecter C-1 hellraiser...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-C-1-Hellraiser-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar-103652913-i1433244.gc

now I'm back at square one....

I'd go for and lefty Epi les paul... but I'm told you cant rely on them to be as good as Gibsons...

pretty damn quick here I'm just gonna go buy a cheap ass ovation and write songs about my hair...

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #272 on: 10 Jun 2009, 18:11 »

...but how is it in bed?

I am incredibly jealous.

If it's really good in bed, we may be in for a week or so of Yelling Bird comics.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier
« Reply #273 on: 10 Jun 2009, 18:50 »

Jesus Christ, Jeph. That's easily one of the best sounding guitars I've ever heard. Can I ask how much it set you back should I wish to invest in a Creston at some most likely non existent point in the future when I have money.
And by the way, your fingers are fucking huge.

zerobar

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #274 on: 10 Jun 2009, 19:16 »

I own a guitar with a Floyd Rose. Everything is less of a pain in the ass than that.

If you want an ULTIMATE GUITAR NIGHTMARE, try re-intonating a Floyd Rose. There is literally no way to adjust the bridge saddles while they have strings on them. So you take the string off, make an adjustment, put the string back on (and remember this requires tightening and untightening at least a couple hex heads as well as the tuning pegs), check the tuning, repeat 1000x until you either guess right or get frustrated and give up. Oh and by adjusting the string length you're ALSO messing with the stability of the trem springs, so you also have to adjust THOSE, which is MORE trial and error.

They actually make a tool that lets you adjust intonation at tension with a floyd rose. I think it's like $40, but I never bought it. Whenever I have to do adjustments on my floyds I just shim the trem block and take one or two springs off. It's kinda tough to find something that fits perfectly to make it level, but it's the easiest way i found to do it. From that point on, you're basically just adjusting a stoptail with a string lock. Once you get your intonation right and everything's in tune, then lock the strings fine tune, and put the springs back on. Remove the shim, and adjust the claw until the bridge is where it was when you shimmed it.

Of course, you only need to do this if you're changing tunings or string guage. If you're not planning on doing it any time soon, then you just need to tune it like you would regularly tune a floyd, which is, honestly, pretty intensive compared to a stop tail. I'm probably in the minority that actually likes the Floyd, but i do recognize how high maintenance it is.

By the way, Tele looks great. Hopefully I'll have enough time to finish mine before the summer is over. It's kinda inspired by Billy Gibbon's custom tele.

zerobar

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #275 on: 10 Jun 2009, 19:20 »

Man at least you don't have to take the whole neck off just to make 1/8 turn on your truss rod. I swear I'd slap Leo for that if he wasn't dead.

Yeah, I love Kramer necks, but that's one of the reasons why I don't buy the old "beak" type ones. I had one and that just pissed me off. Also, Gibson style socket head truss rods piss me off too. I can't stand it when I have to take my guitar to a repair shop to do adjustments.

So, sorry bout the double post.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #276 on: 10 Jun 2009, 20:52 »

Jesus Christ, Jeph. That's easily one of the best sounding guitars I've ever heard. Can I ask how much it set you back should I wish to invest in a Creston at some most likely non existent point in the future when I have money.
And by the way, your fingers are fucking huge.

Mine was just under $2000. He says most of his guitars cost between $1500 and $2K, with very few being under that and only the super fancy ones (barn boards, Sarah Ryan art) being over.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #277 on: 10 Jun 2009, 21:01 »

Man that is very, very reasonable.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #278 on: 10 Jun 2009, 21:03 »

God that is a beautiful sounding (and looking) guitar.  It has a surprising amount of balls for a tele.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #279 on: 10 Jun 2009, 23:19 »

Yeah that was "Green to Me" and Hum are basically how I learned to play guitar. So I will always sound like them.

zeropercent

« Reply #280 on: 11 Jun 2009, 03:21 »

Yeah that was "Green to Me" and Hum are basically how I learned to play guitar. So I will always sound like them.

I've read this comic/occasional news post for 5 years now, and just half the intro was enough to finally kick me over into signing up for a forum account.  Good job, successful internet entrepreneur/artist.

"Green to Me" is second only to "The Pod" in my opinion (I generally prefer YPaA to DiH...that's maybe not a popular opinion, depending on the audience), and your recording of it sounds good.

Have anyone here played an Ormsby guitar?  They are a little pricey, but also kick out some killer noise.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #281 on: 11 Jun 2009, 05:21 »

Jeph wins guitar topic on his own forum. Shenanigans not involved. No film at 11.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Rusty Kuntz

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #282 on: 11 Jun 2009, 14:00 »

Jeph wins guitar topic on his own forum. Shenanigans not involved. No film at 11.

Not so fast scooter. This is the last guitar I bought, it's a Gibson Custom shop Historic 57 Reissue:

http://www.myspace.com/tigersofrustykuntz

Jeph doesn't jam in the nightclubs of Chicago with his shirt unbuttoned either:

And you can throw down with my sound here:

http://www.myspace.com/tigersofrustykuntz

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #283 on: 11 Jun 2009, 18:27 »

I don't know which bothers me more, the shameless band whoring or the fact that I think you should probably button your shirt.

Goldtops are pretty sick though, not gonna lie.

zarinrules

« Reply #284 on: 11 Jun 2009, 20:42 »

Greetings all.  First post here.

I noticed the guitar Jeph Jacque posted in the blurb at the bottom of the main page of his comic, and just thought I'd come in and say that it's a beauty!  Happy birthday, can't do much better than that!

So I mostly play acoustic, but dwell into other realms too.  My main axe is a Yamaha LLX26C.  I also have a Reverend Club King HB, Washburn D-25S circa late '80s/early '90s (with a recent neck reset, so it plays wonderfully), a Rodriguez Model B, a Yamaha BEX4, an old Squier P that I poorly defretted, and a large collection of hand percussion/electronic instrumentation/recording gear.

My latest acquisition is a 1946 Gibson ES125.  Pretty stoked on that.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #285 on: 12 Jun 2009, 02:16 »

dude with more money than me ITT

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #286 on: 12 Jun 2009, 06:42 »

BLOOZLOYA
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #287 on: 12 Jun 2009, 07:22 »

also jamming in nightclubs isn't cool unless you are black and in the 40s

sam you've recently developed into a hater.

nip this in the bud, kiddo.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #288 on: 12 Jun 2009, 08:26 »

Sonic Youth signature JMs have been announced now:  http://www.fender.com/sonicyouth/

They seem quite cool (wide-range pickups on Lee's one!) but there are some, to me, strange choices. Why do they come with stickers, why is there no tone pot, and why does the website look like a 14 year old girl's myspace page?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #289 on: 12 Jun 2009, 09:28 »

Why do they come with stickers

Because it's a Sonic Youth signature guitar.

no tone pot

Because it's a Sonic Youth signature guitar.

why does the website look like a 14 year old girl's myspace page?

Because their marketing department is a million stupid.

samuel

« Reply #290 on: 12 Jun 2009, 09:42 »

Oh man, that's a sweet guitar Jeph. I've been a long time reader but once I saw you bought a Creston, I HAD to sign up. Creston's guitars are awesome. I bought one a while back and got it for my birthday. Here's mine:

I'm a huge fan of Anders Parker and Varnaline, so I was stoked to get the barn beam cousin to his Wormwood. Trippy to see some of the people in the same musical circles.

Also, I have one of the new Mexican Jazzmasters, they're awesome. It's basically the J Mascis Signature with normal colors and normal frets, which means all the right things are done to them. An American made Jazzmaster is just the same but has all the shortcomings of the original. The roller bridge won't stay in tune at all. The Tune-o-Matic knock-offs on the Mascis and Mexi Jazzmasters keep it in tune. I do a lot of trem work with my Jazzmaster and it is always in tune. The only complaint I have is a buzzing on the G-string between the bridge and tailpiece. They're solid though and sound great.

However, if you REALLY love the Strat sound, you won't dig it. It's nothing like it. If I compare a Jazzmaster to another guitar, it's closer to the Les Paul Double Cutaway...the ones with the P-90s. The Jazzmaster is a bit more robust due the the winding being heavier on the pickups, but man, it sounds great. Great clean and boy do they sing when you throw a Big Muff in the mix.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #291 on: 12 Jun 2009, 11:00 »

Recently I put flatwounds on my Yamaha AEX500. Not sure how I feel about it yet.
They are f'ing hard to play. Sounds good fingerpicked though. 11-50 gauge.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

NotAFanOfFenders

• even furrier
« Reply #292 on: 12 Jun 2009, 11:04 »

What's the difference?

samuel

« Reply #293 on: 12 Jun 2009, 11:15 »

Flatwounds are cool on bass. They can make a P-bass sound like an upright. As for guitar, I've used them, but it just sounds like strings you've had on for years. They feel nice though, smooth is always nice.

As for the difference, roundwound (standard) strings are a coil with texture. It's circular wire coiled up around wire. Flatwound are  made so the coiling wire is flush to the one next to it. It's totally smooth. Cuts down on noise from sliding fingers and feels nicer, but they sound dead from the package. Some people like that sound though.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #294 on: 12 Jun 2009, 13:25 »

I'm thinking about making a switch to 10-46 flatwounds for my Jag, just because I like the sound of Cake's guitarist when he uses them on his hollowbody Gibson. I can get a very similar sound, one that's good for fast country shuffles, a-la the often-covered '50s classic "Hot Rod Lincoln".

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #295 on: 12 Jun 2009, 14:07 »

Oh man, that's a sweet guitar Jeph. I've been a long time reader but once I saw you bought a Creston, I HAD to sign up. Creston's guitars are awesome. I bought one a while back and got it for my birthday. Here's mine:

I'm a huge fan of Anders Parker and Varnaline, so I was stoked to get the barn beam cousin to his Wormwood. Trippy to see some of the people in the same musical circles.

Aw dang that is pretty! GOOD CHOICE SIR

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #296 on: 13 Jun 2009, 06:01 »

With the exceptions of the '65 Mustang RI, the Jaguar HH Special, and (i think) the Jaguar Bass.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #297 on: 13 Jun 2009, 07:48 »

Also these D'addario chromes have a wound G string. Which I am not sure how I feel about yet, either.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

NotAFanOfFenders

• even furrier
« Reply #298 on: 13 Jun 2009, 09:45 »

Oh man i do not like wound g strings at all.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #299 on: 14 Jun 2009, 06:14 »

Ordered a Bigsby B50 for my Diamond yesterday. I've heard installation isn't really too hard, and I'm hoping all the extra travel will solve the one problem I have with this guitar: it just feels like there is NO tension on the strings.

Also, while at the store, I tried out a Road Worn Strat. Retarded looks aside, that guitar FEELS amazing. Sounds a little..I dunno...I always thought Strats sounded a little bland to me. That neck though, holy shit.

Rather, I didn't try it out, but was mocking it with my friend. The guy working at the store came over, grabbed it off the wall, handed it to me, and was like "it looks dumb, but play it." He's right.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2009, 06:22 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 92   Go Up