THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 07:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: The M/F thread - '08a reboot! Still with no requests!  (Read 88355 times)

plyphon

• Plantmonster
Re: Re: The M/F thread - '08a reboot! Still with no requests!
« Reply #50 on: 17 Sep 2008, 03:32 »

Cynic ultra-awesome-demo-pack

I also have the Portal demo that was made after Focus, as well as the Focus re-issue with re-mixes of songs from Focus - if anybody is interested, that is...

you heard the three new songs from the upcoming '08 album?

amazing stuff.

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #51 on: 17 Sep 2008, 10:28 »

Murder By Death - Like The Exorcist, But More Breakdancing

Code: [Select]
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?vjhjjq1m02c
Murder By Death - Who Will Survive, And What Will Be Left Of Them?

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?0iwrbgmgd2h

Good up, MBD is one of my favorites. I can up their two most recent later if anyone would like.

Harun

« Reply #52 on: 17 Sep 2008, 17:05 »

you heard the three new songs from the upcoming '08 album?

I actually upped that in this thread a few pages back  :-D And yes, those songs are amazing - I'm definitely stoked for the new album.

Kyros

« Reply #53 on: 17 Sep 2008, 18:30 »

Los Campesinos! - We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?eoqhaeqmqcn

Be Happy.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2008, 18:32 by Kyros »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #54 on: 17 Sep 2008, 19:18 »

gotta say, i'm pretty disapointed with that cd. i downloaded it a couple days ago and haven't even listened to the entire thing yet because it was just so uninteresting.

Sticking Fingers Into Sockets, however, was fucking brilliant and i still play that on a regular basis.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

medicatesleep

• Furry furrier
    • The RIAA hates you
« Reply #55 on: 17 Sep 2008, 19:54 »

Thanks a bunch for the Cynic demos!

Down The Mountain: O Brother, Where Art Thou?
http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?cyaiig4gtgo
This is the artists from the film soundtrack performing live. Really great stuff, especially if you enjoyed the movie.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2008, 19:55 by medicatesleep »
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Oqtober

• Plantmonster
« Reply #56 on: 17 Sep 2008, 21:25 »

Trentemoller - Live In Concert EP - Roskilde Festival 2007
www.mediaf!re.com/?dlnmzzxvpyv

Harun

« Reply #57 on: 17 Sep 2008, 22:20 »

Cynic - Traced In Air

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?psxlfcdlowt
listen at full volume in a dark room for maximum effectiveness

plyphon

• Plantmonster
« Reply #58 on: 18 Sep 2008, 01:30 »

Cynic - Traced In Air

full album?

thought it was out in oct?

wasshappeniinnngggg!?!!?
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2008, 01:33 by plyphon »

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #59 on: 18 Sep 2008, 01:37 »

Cynic - Traced In Air

full album?

thought it was out in oct?

wasshappeniinnngggg!?!!?

shhh don't tell anyone it's a-lee-gul
but as i said in several of the downloading music threads i'm not goign to buy somethign i havn't listened to the whole way through at least twice to judge it
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Andrew Fleming

« Reply #60 on: 18 Sep 2008, 12:35 »

The Music Tapes - Music Tapes for Clouds and Tornadoes

http://www.mediafire.com/?wjgx29fpxvnThis album is an incredible sonic voyage taken on almost entirely vintage equipment through Neutral Milk Hotel alumni Julian Koster's demented mind. Clouds and Tornadoes is what you would get if you mixed the best elements of Neutral Milk Hotel, Daniel Johnston's old cassettes, and a Microphones album. In short, it's brilliant and beautiful, and it sounds timeless and unique. Download it.
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2008, 20:38 by Andrew Fleming »

Rubin

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #61 on: 18 Sep 2008, 12:48 »

Long time since I contributed anything.

So here's Den Sorte Skole - s/t (litterally means The Black School)

Its a semilegal hip-hop/funk mixtape/djset. Lots of old danish stuff, and samples from anything you can imagine... Ultra cool!

http://www.mediafire.com/?mymmm2jm2dg
‘All our lives are symbols. Everything we do is part of a pattern we have at least some say in.’
Frank, The Wasp Factory

Jyan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #62 on: 18 Sep 2008, 22:02 »

Los Campesinos! - We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?eoqhaeqmqcn

Be Happy.

Is....is this what I think it is? The second album? Oh, Kyros, I could kiss you.

medicatesleep

• Furry furrier
    • The RIAA hates you
« Reply #63 on: 19 Sep 2008, 05:08 »

Jubilee - Rebel Hiss

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?0mdm01vkybz
From wiki:

"Jubilee is an Alternative Rock/Indie Rock band from Los Angeles, California, which formed in 2007. The band consists of Aaron North (Nine Inch Nails, The Icarus Line) on guitar and vocals, Michael Shuman (Queens of the Stone Age, Wires On Fire) on bass and vocals, Evan Weiss (Wires on Fire) on guitar and backing vocals, and Robi Gonzalez on drums.

According to their press release written by Travis Keller, Jubilee's sound is "something like The Replacements, The Stone Roses, Neil Young, Blur, Jane's Addiction, Bob Dylan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and The Verve, all sliced ‘n diced together quite nicely."
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2008, 17:05 by medicatesleep »
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Pyrofyr

• Plantmonster
« Reply #64 on: 19 Sep 2008, 16:40 »

That album art is to Rebel Hiss, or re-used for their s/t demo?

medicatesleep

• Furry furrier
    • The RIAA hates you
« Reply #65 on: 19 Sep 2008, 19:06 »

Oh snap. You would be correct

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
« Reply #66 on: 19 Sep 2008, 23:35 »

Okkervil River >

EPs + More
Pt. 1: Split EP, Black Sheep Boy Appendix
http://www.mediafire.com/?yjfn2mmxizqPt. 2: For Real (Single), Overboard & Down (EP), Sleep and Wake-up Songs
http://www.mediafire.com/?jynzwjtrtyy
(Pretty sure Sham Wedding / Hoax Funeral was already upped.)

Golden Opportunities (web-release: pitchfork & official mirror broken)

www.megaupload.com/en/?d=WSH8T2LX
Stars Too Small to Use

http://www.mediafire.com/?hf5zj4tywyv
The Stage Names (solo demos)

http://www.mediafire.com/?mknogdjnzer
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

kraemandrummer

• the music freaks here make me feel like a loser
« Reply #67 on: 20 Sep 2008, 12:19 »

I think I've taken enough from you guys now, Its my turn to share.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?sharekey=019a54d397183ae1d2db6fb9a8902bdaLSD and the Search For God- LSD and the Search for God

I'm not sure if this has been added. If not, here you go, if so, Re-upped! This album is gorgeous, it's the best shoegaze I've heard in a while. I'm really excited for their new album.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=019a54d397183ae1d2db6fb9a8902bdaNihilist Spasm Band- Live at the Western Front. Good old Canadian Noise. From My hometown too.

« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2008, 12:53 by kraemandrummer »
http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,19792.2450.html
(this is the page of the Mediaf!ire thread I was last on :))

gospel

• the word
« Reply #68 on: 20 Sep 2008, 13:26 »

Oh dear, noticed the Nick Cave CD was 404. I really enjoyed the CD, so here you can too.

NIck Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!

Quote from: AMG
Apparently, the Bad Seeds side project Grinderman injected some serious adrenaline into the equation, evidenced mightily on Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! This is the 14th album by Nick Cave and company. After the masterpiece that was Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus in 2004, Cave and Warren Ellis scored a pair of films -- The Proposition and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, and recorded the self-titled Grinderman album with other bandmembers Martyn Casey and Jim Sclavunos. Grinderman was a howling, raucous, rock & roll racket of a set that sweat humorous garage rock blues and raw shambolic guttersnipe stroll that spread its nasty cheer to the listener. The return of the full-on Bad Seeds octet builds on this energy and emerges with an album that is at once snarling, darkly humorous, decadently sexual, and, if you are a religious Christian person, seemingly blasphemous. An obvious example is the title track that opens the album. As always, Cave's lyrics are at the center. They are the focus whether he wants them to be or not, and they certainly are here. The track kicks off with a low-end, loose-limbed bass slog and snarling guitar swagger that simultaneously recall Link Wray and Johnny Thunders. Cave re-introduces the biblical character that Jesus raised from the dead as Larry. Larry gets resurrected in the 21st century. He is utterly lost as he rambles about, utterly disoriented and wondering why the hell he was woken from his dream sleep in the first place. (Think Martin Scorsese's Last Temptation of Christ set in the current day with its Lazarus stumbling around half blind and lost, one foot here, one in the next world.) Larry, who no longer has a sense of who or where he is, partakes of every greasy pleasure known -- sex, dope, violence -- and ends up in the joint, and eventually homeless before ending up back in his hole in the ground. Cave wryly explains at the end, "poor Larry." There are bullhorn sounds in the backdrop, sheer noise wafting in from the margins, and the band pumping itself up with every verse. Cave talks more than he sings here, he's reciting something that feels free form but it's rhythmically dead-on and very tightly focused.

Tracy Pew of the Birthday Party could have played the bass rumble that introduces "Today's Lesson." It's all popping riff, one line played over and over as the band brings out organs, acoustic and electric guitars, Ellis playing an electric mandolin, and Cave offering the tale of a young woman who wakes from a dream with a jawbone stuck inside the waistband of her jeans like a gun, who has been repeatedly violated in her sleep by the sandman; when she wakes up all hell breaks loose in the form of a "real good time tonite." She's ready to party, to get while the getting's good -- you are free to interpret whatever that might be.

Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! isn't all clamorous craziness, however. For starters, it's not as raw as Grinderman. Nick Launay reins it in while extending the textural and dimensional reach of the Bad Seeds wonderfully rootsy yet complex and swampy sound. There are many different kinds of songs here, like the creepy crawly "Night of the Lotus Eaters" that feels like Night of the Living Dead meets Hammer studios meets the Voodoo Gods of Haiti on 'ludes and cheap wine. It's dark, sinister, slimy, and addictive. "Albert Goes West" suggests the Dream Syndicate at their wildest with squalling guitars. When he says "The light upon the rainy streets/Offers Many Reflections/And I won't be held responsible/for my actions..." only to the same protagonist asks in a Concord bar "Do you wanna dance?/Do you wanna groove?" He means it. It's not as absurd as it sounds and in the context of his character, it's unhinged. When the band screams, crunches, and squeals out of the tuner in its music, they sweetly sing like drunken devilish doo wop boys meeting "Sha La La," right to the fade. Only Cave could get away with lines like "Our myomixtoid kids spraddle the streets/we've shunned them from the greasy grind/the poor things/They look so sad & old/As they mount us from behind...." and "I go guruing down the street/young people gather round my feet/as me things-but I don't know where to start." All the while the band chants "doop doop doop" behind him.

In "We Call Upon the Author," Cave has become a cross between the great 20th century poets of history and the outer edges of mental myths like Charles Olson and John Berryman who happen to play rock & roll. The latter of these writers is celebrated in the same tune for writing like "wet papier mache/and going out the "Heming-way." This occurs a mere line after he castigates the late Charles Bukowski for being a jerk. "Hold on to Yourself" brings the swirling cacophony the Bad Seeds can summon live with Ellis playing an electric viola along with a pulsing Farfisa organ and acoustic and electric guitars atop sparse drums. It's a sad love song that might have been a rock outtake from The Assassination of Jesse James, if Jesse were singing it in the current era: "I'm so far away from you/I'm pacing up and down my room/Does Jesus only love a man who loses?" The cinematic reach of the track is alternately heartbroken, lost, and furious. "Lie Down Here (And Be My Girl") is feverish, nightmarish, desperate, and as elegantly ruined and unrepentant as Nikolai in Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. Amid the soaring guitars, a backdrop of old rock & roll chorus lines, psychedelic fuzztone leads, and that propulsive bassline and popping snare, Cave's protagonist exhorts his beloved not to worry about the life pouring out of him, and just take in the moment as an eternal one, where all comes down and rises at once. Ellis' moaning Gypsy violin, electric mandolin, a spooky Mick Harvey piano, and a one-two rhythm section shuffle offer another dark and hopeless love song in "Jesus of the Moon," but its drama and punch are almost theatrical in scope. It's dead serious, no camp here; it's all passion, pathos, and an unwillingness to let go despite the fact of having already done so. The last line in the song is, "I say hello." One wonders to what? The abandoned lover? Oblivion? With "More News from Nowhere," the album closes uncharacteristically on what may seem at first to be a light moment. Musically and lyrically it walks the line between Bob Dylan's wry, bluesy, sprawling observations on 21st century life and the light, sarcastic celebration of decadence in Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side."

What it all comes down to is that Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! is a Bad Seeds record that ups the ante once again. The elegance and poetry, the drama and tension of Cave's more poetic notions are balanced by his Sade-ian humor and social criticisms and his willingness to blend flesh and spirit as two sides of the same coin. Along with this comes a band's sound that is incredibly evolved and unself-conscious. It's an album where a fire breathing, rootsy, garage rock band creates a soundtrack to modern fun house life: where the stakes are high, the odds are hopelessly stacked, and there is little left to do but laugh at its dreadful irony.
http://www.mediafire.com/?gla2mnxgt0y
My personal favorite Beck album (and favorite pop breakup album).
Beck - Sea Change

Beck has always been known for his ever-changing moods -- particularly since they often arrived one after another on one album, sometimes within one song -- yet the shift between the neon glitz of Midnite Vultures and the lush, somber Sea Change is startling, and not just because it finds him in full-on singer/songwriter mode, abandoning all of the postmodern pranksterism of its predecessor. What's startling about Sea Change is how it brings everything that's run beneath the surface of Beck's music to the forefront, as if he's unafraid to not just reveal emotions, but to elliptically examine them in this wonderfully melancholy song cycle. If, on most albums prior to this, Beck's music was a sonic kaleidoscope -- each song shifting familiar and forgotten sounds into colorful, unpredictable combinations -- this discards genre-hopping in favor of focus, and the concentration pays off gloriously, resulting in not just his best album, but one of the greatest late-night, brokenhearted albums in pop. This, as many reviews and promotional interviews have noted, is indeed a breakup album, but it's not a bitter listen; it has a wearily beautiful sound, a comforting, consoling sadness. His words are often evocative, but not nearly as evocative as the music itself, which is rooted equally in country-rock (not alt-country), early-'70s singer/songwriterism, and baroque British psychedelia. With producer Nigel Godrich, Beck has created a warm, enveloping sound, with his acoustic guitar supported by grand string arrangements straight out of Paul Buckmaster, eerie harmonies, and gentle keyboards among other subtler touches that give this record a richness that unveils more with each listen. Surely, some may bemoan the absence of the careening, free-form experimentalism of Odelay, but Beck's gifts as a songwriter, singer, and musician have never been as brilliant as they are here. As Sea Change is playing, it feels as if Beck singing to you alone, revealing painful, intimate secrets that mirror your own. It's a genuine masterpiece in an era with too damn few of them.
http://www.mediafire.com/?y2zznvomjmm
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

medicatesleep

• Furry furrier
    • The RIAA hates you
« Reply #69 on: 20 Sep 2008, 17:04 »

is that the s/t EP or a full length?

Same EP. Sorry brody.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #70 on: 20 Sep 2008, 17:57 »

HEY GUYS

I AM DRUNk

AND I UPLOADED A TOTALLY RAD ALBUM FOR YOU GUYS

Remember how a while ago you couldn't browse this thread without the incredibly visually offensive cover of Nite Versions by Soulwax leaping out at you

Remember how that was the best album you ever heard

I have uploaded a live CD of it for emilio and I guess you guys should listen to it as well. You can just skip straight to "I Love Techno" if you love getting down, because that is the best song to get down to. I am seeing them in two weeks.

Here we go.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?xdto5kjjgng
This is the live CD from the excellent documentary "Part of the Weekend Never Dies" and god it is so excellent, Tiga does the commentary and he is basically mad at everything but he is too tactful to act like it so he is just being polite
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2008, 18:00 by Hat »
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #71 on: 20 Sep 2008, 20:43 »

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT NOUVEAU-DISCO

DO YOU THINK IT IS RAD

OR DO YOU SIMPLY THINK IT IS OK

EITHER WAY HAVE THIS

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2njn5yd3tdj
It is an album by Hercules and Love Affair called Hercules and Love Affair
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
« Reply #72 on: 21 Sep 2008, 04:50 »

Nihilist Spasm Band- Live at the Western Front. Good old Canadian Noise. From My hometown too.

You're a Londoner?  They still play here every week, or did last I checked, as part of the Music 4no1 Series. 

gospel

• the word
« Reply #73 on: 21 Sep 2008, 13:48 »

Closed on Account of Rabies: Tales of Edgar Allan Poe

In the tradition of the Hal Willner-produced tributes to Thelonious Monk and Charles Mingus comes Willner's Closed on Account of Rabies: Tales of Edgar Allen Poe, a two-disc collection of musical and spoken-word interpretations of classic works including "The Raven," "The Tell-Tale Heart" and "The Conqueror Worm." Among the contributors are Iggy Pop, Marianne Faithfull, Ken Nordine and Jeff Buckley, as well as actors like Christopher Walken and Gabriel Byrne.
Alone - Marianne Faithfull (1:30)
The Raven - Christopher Walken   (8:30)
The Tell-Tale Heart - Iggy Pop    (14:26)
The Conqueror Worm - Ken Nordine (3:00)
The Black Cat - Diamanda Galas (36:58)
For Annie - Gavin Friday (5:21)
To Helen - Ed Sanders (2:29)
The Haunted Palace - Ed Sanders (5:42)
Ulalume - Jeff Buckley (6:13)
Berenice - Doctor John (27:42)
The City and the Sea - Debbie Harry ... (8:04)
Performed by:   Debbie Harry, Jazz Passengers
Annabel Lee - Marianne Faithfull (2:24)
The Masque of the Red Death - Gabriel Byrne (18:13)
Raven [live Excerpt] - Abel Ferrara (1:57)
http://www.mediafire.com/?zy0wymxygz1Because, you know, we all secretly want to be sung to sleep by Christopher Walken and Iggy Pop.

Joanna Newsom - Ys

The Milk-Eyed Mender was a striking debut that set Joanna Newsom apart from her indie folk contemporaries. Its simplicity and depth, and the way it sounded timeless and fresh, made her a singular figure in that scene. On her second album, Ys (pronounced "ease"), she continues to move in a very different direction than her peers, and even a different one than what her audience might expect. The Milk-Eyed Mender's 12 gentle vignettes sounded like they were basking in sunlight; Ys is epic, restless, and demanding, made up of five dazzling, shape-shifting songs that range from seven to 16 minutes long. Newsom embarks on this adventure of an album with help from talents as diverse as engineer Steve Albini, arranger Van Dyke Parks, and producer Jim O'Rourke (who, come to think of it, is the perfect meeting point between Albini and Parks). Ys' boldly intricate sound plays like an embellished, illuminated, expanded version of Newsom's previous work. Parks' lavish, but never intrusive, orchestral arrangements sometimes make the album feel -- in the best possible way -- like a Broadway musical based on The Milk-Eyed Mender, particularly on the album closer, "Cosmia." Crucially, though, Ys isn't any less "real" than Newsom's other music just because it's more polished. The nature and craft imagery in her lyrics, the transporting sense of wonder and the one-of-a-kind voice of The Milk-Eyed Mender are here too, just in a much more refined and ambitious form: Ys is a gilt-edged, bone china teacup to Mender's earthenware mug.

Along with the beautifully filigreed arrangements and melodies, which mingle strings, jew's-harps, and spaghetti Western horns with Appalachian, Celtic, and even Asian influences, the album shows Newsom's development as a singer. She has more nuance and control, particularly over the keening edge of her voice, which is recorded so clearly that when it cracks, it tears the air like a tangible exclamation point. Ys' daring, plentiful wordplay makes it even more of a rarity: an extremely musically accomplished album with lyrics to match. On "Only Skin" alone, Newsom goes from rhyming "fishin' poles" with "swimmin' holes" to "heartbroken, inchoate." These songs are so full of words and plot twists that sometimes it feels more like you're reading them instead of listening to them, and indeed, actually reading the lyrics in the book-like liner notes reveals that Ys has a library's worth of children's stories, myths, romances, and of course, fairy tales woven into its words. As the album unfolds, it seems like Newsom can't get more ambitious (and more importantly, pull it off), but with each song, she does. Two of the best moments: the darkly whimsical fable "Monkey & Bear," a forest romp that boasts some of the album's best storytelling and some of Parks' liveliest arrangements, and "Sawdust & Diamonds," which is surreally sensual and coltish, with surprisingly direct lyrics: "From the top of the flight/Of the wide, white stairs/For the rest of my life/Do you wait for me there?" Ys isn't exactly a reinvention of Newsom's music, but it's so impressive that it's like a reintroduction to what makes her talent so special. Its breathtaking scope makes it a sometimes bewildering embarrassment of riches, or as one of "The Monkey and the Bear"'s lyrics puts it, "a table ceaselessly being set." Yes, Ys is a demanding listen, but it's also a rewarding and inspiring one. Letting it unfold and absorbing more each time you hear it is a delight.
http://www.mediafire.com/?bjnmiy0tjyySomething to sooth your soul after the Poe trauma.

-Abraham Lincoln

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #74 on: 21 Sep 2008, 15:46 »

I am coming to possession of several Fabriclive albums soon. I will put them up when I get them.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #75 on: 21 Sep 2008, 15:55 »

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?sharekey=019a54d397183ae1d2db6fb9a8902bdaLSD and the Search For God- LSD and the Search for God

Do you like blowjobs y/n?

'Cause I'm pretty willing to provide at this moment.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

kifsteve

• Plantmonster
« Reply #76 on: 21 Sep 2008, 18:01 »

gotta say, i'm pretty disapointed with that cd. i downloaded it a couple days ago and haven't even listened to the entire thing yet because it was just so uninteresting.

Sticking Fingers Into Sockets, however, was fucking brilliant and i still play that on a regular basis.

ergh, agreed. Extremely disappointed with this one.

Lwize

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #77 on: 21 Sep 2008, 19:41 »

Joanna Newsom - Ys

An amazing album.

Multiple listenings may be required to agree (if you aren't already a Newsom fan).

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #78 on: 21 Sep 2008, 20:21 »

Alright, so I searched and to my great surprise found that this hasn't been uploaded before. I threw it up for a friend so I might as well post it here.

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?vfbo7bvkg56
Along with Dr. Dre's The Chronic, the Wu-Tang Clan's debut, Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), was one of the most influential rap albums of the '90s. Its spare yet atmospheric production -- courtesy of RZA -- mapped out the sonic blueprint that countless other hardcore rappers would follow for years to come. It laid the groundwork for the rebirth of New York hip-hop in the hardcore age, paving the way for everybody from Biggie and Jay-Z to Nas and Mobb Deep. Moreover, it introduced a colorful cast of hugely talented MCs, some of whom ranked among the best and most unique individual rappers of the decade. Some were outsized, theatrical personalities, others were cerebral storytellers and lyrical technicians, but each had his own distinctive style, which made for an album of tremendous variety and consistency. Every track on Enter the Wu-Tang is packed with fresh, inventive rhymes, which are filled with martial arts metaphors, pop culture references (everything from Voltron to Lucky Charms cereal commercials to Barbra Streisand's "The Way We Were"), bizarre threats of violence, and a truly twisted sense of humor. Their off-kilter menace is really brought to life, however, by the eerie, lo-fi production, which helped bring the raw sound of the underground into mainstream hip-hop. Starting with a foundation of hard, gritty beats and dialogue samples from kung fu movies, RZA kept things minimalistic, but added just enough minor-key piano, strings, or muted horns to create a background ambience that works like the soundtrack to a surreal nightmare. There was nothing like it in the hip-hop world at the time, and even after years of imitation, Enter the Wu-Tang still sounds fresh and original. Subsequent group and solo projects would refine and deepen this template, but collectively, the Wu have never been quite this tight again.

Wu-Tang Clan - Iron Flag[/url]

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?zfw217mjx0n
Even when it seemed they were tearing apart from in-group miscommunication and a welter of baffling solo albums, the Wu-Tang Clan came together again like Voltron for another excellent full-length. Expanding on the strengths of their third album, The W, Iron Flag focuses squarely on the Wu's immense twin strengths: bringing together some of the best rappers in the business, and relying on the best production confederacy in hip-hop (led by RZA) to build raw, hard-hitting productions. Nothing brings a group together better than invasion from outside, and even though the flag they're raising on the cover is their own, Wu-Tang respond to the terrorist attacks of 9/11 with guns blazing -- Ghostface Killah puts it simply, "Together we stand, divided we fall/Mr. Bush sit down, I'm in charge of the war!" The production is rough and ruddy, much more East Coast than their last two full-lengths (both of which were recorded in Los Angeles). Original East Coast head Flavor Flav even makes an appearance on "Soul Power (Black Jungle)," though he doesn't even attempt to trade rhymes with the heaviest crew in hip-hop. (Instead, RZA indulges him by running the tape on an extended reminiscence with Flav and Method Man talking about growing up on Long Island.) The single "Uzi (Pinky Ring)," "In the Hood," and "Ya'll Been Warned" are all excellent tracks with excellent raps and, though the vaguely familiar horn samples driving most of them sure weren't tough to record, RZA deserves a lot of credit for keeping the production simple. Even while most rappers have turned R&B overnight, Wu-Tang are really the only ones left in the hardcore game who sound like they're in it for more than money or prestige.
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2008, 20:27 by Ballard »
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

LittleKey

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #79 on: 22 Sep 2008, 00:16 »

I downloaded We are Beautiful, We are Doomed, and I like it a lot. So if Sticking Fingers into Sockets is thought to be even better, I'd love to hear it. Could I request this please?
yahoo answers is the new youtube comments

screamingfool

• Emoticontraindication
  • the terrible parable
« Reply #80 on: 22 Sep 2008, 10:25 »

if there's an interest in andean folk music, as hinted above, i've got lots

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #81 on: 22 Sep 2008, 10:29 »

I downloaded We are Beautiful, We are Doomed, and I like it a lot. So if Sticking Fingers into Sockets is thought to be even better, I'd love to hear it. Could I request this please?

Los Campesinos! - Sticking Fingers Into Sockets

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a7fea7e0ec8d036ed2db6fb9a8902bda
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

evilCarl

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #82 on: 22 Sep 2008, 10:55 »

I posted a link a couple of weeks ago for The Dodos' album Visiter. I didn't really understand the whole .rar thing, and I tried to fix it but I don't know how to split an .rar file. If this is a problem, or if anyone wants to help me out with that, send me a message. Anyway, I think I figured everything out for this post, but if there's still a problem, send me a message.

This band is by far one of my favorites, but it seems no one's heard of them. Download both of these albums now. The first album here, Experiments in Junk, is exactly what the title suggests, full of ramshackle percussion, full chorus of singers, and stories about drug dealers, electrical tape bondage, and Alexander the Great. The second album, Lightness, is their first official release. It's almost the complete opposite of Experiments in Junk without leaving the acoustic folk genre. Sparse and empty, the album relies on beautiful melodies and moving lyrics to move the songs along. Both of these albums are just brilliant.

Peter and the Wolf - Experiments in Junk

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2f989e09b88a14b4ab1eab3e9fa335ca8d556a053c813b84
Peter and the wolf - Lightness

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2f989e09b88a14b4ab1eab3e9fa335caf594c12ca4d5c5f0

Broken_Drum

• Until The Fuel Runs Dry
    • Overhead Cables Humming Music
« Reply #83 on: 22 Sep 2008, 13:43 »

Boards Of Canada- Live @ Warp10

1. "Zoetrope" – 5:11
   2. "Happy Cycling" – 7:27
   3. "The Color of the Fire" – 1:14
   4. "Telephasic Workshop + The Smallest Weird Number" – 8:10
   5. "Aquarius" – 7:43
   6. Unknown – 2:55
   7. Unknown – 11:27

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JMUSKFCN (sorry about the Megaupload, I'll change it to mediaf!re if anyone objects)

Boards Of Cananda- Live @ Lighthouse

1. "Sixtyten (Incomplete)" – 2:17
2. "1969" – 5:48
3. Unknown – 7:07
4. "In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country" – 4:43
5. "Amo Bishop Roden" – 5:57
6. "Everything You Do Is A Balloon" – 5:30
7. "Julie And Candy" – 5:57

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?ztygymdcygv
Boards Of Canada- Live @ ATP

1. Unknown – 6:23
   2. Unknown – 7:32
   3. "A is to b as b is to c" – 1:26
   4. "Sunshine Recorder" – 6:29
   5. "Sixtyten" – 5:51
   6. Unknown – 1:44
   7. Unknown – 8:26
   8. "Julie and Candy" – 6:14
   9. Unknown – 1:30
  10. "Happy Cycling" – 7:55
  11. Unknown – 0:46
  12. "In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country" – 5:46

http://www.mediafire.com/?aymmmt2jgem
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2008, 14:06 by Broken_Drum »
Just Zeros And Ones

Rez

« Reply #84 on: 22 Sep 2008, 15:27 »

Oh Jesus ear-splitting Christ. Thank you so much for the Boards of Canada live stuff. I'm having to read a lot of shit at the moment before Uni starts in October, and music like this really helps. On that note, would anybody like Demos, A Few Old Tunes, Hi Scores, Peel Session, Twoism and the Unreleased Tracks Vinyl (all rareish stuff by BoC) I would be more than happy to oblige. Also, I'm thinking of putting My Bloody Valentine's discography. Anyone interested? x

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #85 on: 22 Sep 2008, 17:00 »

Rites of Spring - End on End

Released on CD by Dischord in 1991, this digital version of End on End covers the complete recorded output of the legendary Rites of Spring: their self-titled LP, the All Through a Life EP, and one extra song. One of the first bands to be labeled emocore, Rites of Spring would seem to transcend all labels as their music cuts right through to the heart of universal human experience. Emotional? Yes -- check out the bitter memorial relived on "For Want Of," the pulse pounding moment-grab that is "Drink Deep," or the devoted searches for honesty and meaning explored on "End on End," "Theme," and really just about every track on the disc. Hardcore? Yes -- emerging from the D.C. scene, the music is pure focused energy, not a single note wasted. The band at times is fast and furious, at other times lush and evocative though always with a sense of drive and melody. Rites of Spring hint at some of the territory vocalist/guitarist Guy Picciotto and drummer Brendan Canty would later survey with Fugazi, but this band is much more than just a stepping stone. End on End, quite simply, is a testament to the rich possibilities of sincerity in music.
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?zvomib2ydtt
The Jesus Lizard - Goat

The Jesus Lizard's second album followed in the vein of the first with little immediate variation: loud, excellently produced by Steve Albini, plenty of space in the recording to emphasize the sheer force of McNeilly's drums and Sims' bass, and more besides. The little-remarked-upon ability of the rhythm section to kick out some ass-shaking jams spikes up such great numbers as "Nub," which almost predicts Rocket From the Crypt down to the gang-shout vocals, and the slower but no-less-compelling grind of "Rodeo in Joliet" (also one of the band's most inspired titles). Denison's guitar playing seemed a touch more focused at points here, the results almost suggesting such post-punk groove monsters as Gang of Four and even the Pop Group. There's a more evident melodic lead role for his work as well, as the just plain great riff that fires up "Mouth Breather" and his near-countryish twang on "Karpis" makes perfectly clear. Yow, meanwhile, steps ever more into his own persona, his lyrics now downright comprehensible and his singing levels a touch less doom- (and bass) heavy, if no less aggrieved. The staggered vocal overdubs on "Monkey Trick" are a standout, especially when Denison suddenly serves up another one of his surprisingly sweet passages as a bed. Other treats on the album include the opening "Here Comes Dudley" -- in context one of the more non-welcoming greetings around -- and the Morricone-tinged freakout of "Lady Shoes," assuming Morricone scored movies about doctors dealing with some freaky female patients. The whole album seems like a party in hell, not to mention demonstrative proof that there's still plenty of fun to be had with a basic rock lineup; it's all in the matter of how it's handled.
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?d0vn3ykmgmg
The Beta Band - The Three EP's

The enigmatic Beta Band wandered out from the northern hills of Scotland with a satchel of kooky costumes and barnyard grooves. Sometimes wearing crazy costumes, they craft folk-influenced, psychedelic funk music, which has the immediate American reference point of Beck (if only for the fact that they dress like cowboys and astronauts, and blend acoustic roots with deep-bass jams). But to lump the Beta Band in with the dismal crop of those Silverlake "fusion" groups that cut-and-paste hip-hop with unplugged pop and pop culture samples would be extremely hasty and unfair.

The Beta Band are a far cry from pop music structures and radio cliches. A few songs from The Three EPs collection bear more resemblance to recent Primal Scream, albeit a more sylvan, lackadaisical Primal Scream. But really, the only pigeonholes you can mention in regards to the Beta Band would be holes pecked by actual pigeons in their country-cabin studio. This is a band that can chant in Gregorian echoes over toy-piano loops, DJ Shadow-style drumbeats, and guitar wash on "Dr Baker" without somehow sounding "artsy".

"I Know" builds a lazy guitar melody over a spurs-and-pocket-change jangle and a turtle-speed bassline that sounds so low-tuned that the strings could wobble off the neck. This flows smoothly into "B+A", a subtle desert guitar and drumloop haze that climaxes with splashing cymbals and handclaps. These two tracks best demonstrate the buzz-generation power of the Beta Band. Unlike most electronic and rock artists that incorporate dance elements with harsh editing, the Beta Band take their time and let the songs slowly develop in quiet movements. Nothing is clenched or forced, or would ever work on a dancefloor.

Much of this has to do with the general air of bathtub-and-hall-closet-cropped narcotic influence that seeps from every swirling piano note and turntable-scratched tweet. Perhaps it's the effect of the morning Highland air that one can imagine drifting in frozen puffs from the mouths of the Beta Band with every breathy vocal, as they compose their songs in the ol' woodshed over a mug of tea. But a moment comes on The Three EPs when the realization strikes you that there may be some greater power at work. It happens during the sprawling centerpiece, "Monolith", a haunted orgy of stream-of-consciousness psychedelia. The entire "song" sounds composed by ghosts. Mid-east market ambience mixes with bongos and birds while guitar-notes drip from the heavens.

Don't be fooled that this album was issued by Astralwerks or that it boasts lots of turntable action. It's closer to the Beatles' "Revolution #9" than Bentley Rhythm Ace. If at times seeming too experimental, the Beta Band make up for whatever misfires with the raw fact that at least they're doing something different and exhilarating in this age of banality and been-there-done-that. They represent the thinning of the line between rural and urban in our age of connectivity. Throw 'em on at dawn and watch the sheep come in as you check your e-mail.
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?zmjzwmnmqhm
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2008, 18:46 by n0t_r0bert_b0yle!! »

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #86 on: 22 Sep 2008, 19:17 »

Okay so I need to break the rules, sorry guys.

Does anyone have the Alan Sparhawk solo album?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

LittleKey

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #87 on: 22 Sep 2008, 19:34 »

Los Campesinos! - Sticking Fingers Into Sockets

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?sharekey=a7fea7e0ec8d036ed2db6fb9a8902bda

Thank you very much, kind sir.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #88 on: 22 Sep 2008, 19:38 »

Wait, did Los Campesinos! release 2 records this year?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Kyros

« Reply #89 on: 22 Sep 2008, 20:13 »

Wait, did Los Campesinos! release 2 records this year?

Yes, both Hold on Now Youngster.. and We are Beautiful, We are Doomed.  Both Amazing.

Pyrofyr

• Plantmonster
« Reply #90 on: 22 Sep 2008, 20:44 »

Rules:

No hot-linking images or albums. You can re-host images at http://imageshack.us.

Ensure your tags are correct and that you have specified both Artist/Album in your post.

Upload your files in either a .zip or a .rar archive to mediaf!re.com, in multiple parts if the album is over 100mbs. The reason for this is that we know mediaf!re is safe and efficient and allows multiple downloads. The ads on other sites, such as Sendspace, are known to contain viruses on the page. Get yourself checked out.

Post your link using code tags. It's the # icon above the policeman emoticon. This prevents the links from being traced back to the forums, lowering the chance that the wrong people notice the thread, potentially threatening Jeph with legal action.

Also, please do NOT request albums.

Repost the rules at the top of each new page.
It's rapidshare, but I figured some people might be interested. Perhaps...

Oasis - Dig Out Your Soul

1. "Bag It Up" – 4:39
2. "The Turning" – 5:05
3. "Waiting for the Rapture" – 3:03
4. "The Shock of the Lightning" – 5:02
5. "I'm Outta Time" (Liam Gallagher) – 4:10
6. "(Get Off Your) High Horse Lady" – 4:07
7. "Falling Down" – 4:20
8. "To Be Where There's Life" (Gem Archer) – 4:35
9. "Ain't Got Nothin'" (L. Gallagher) – 2:15
10. "The Nature of Reality" (Andy Bell) – 3:48
11. "Soldier On" (L. Gallagher) – 4:49

http://rapidshare.com/files/147185069/oasis.tar
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2008, 15:29 by Pyrofyr »

LittleKey

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #91 on: 22 Sep 2008, 20:51 »

Rules:

No hot-linking images or albums. You can re-host images at http://imageshack.us.

Ensure your tags are correct and that you have specified both Artist/Album in your post.

Upload your files in either a .zip or a .rar archive to mediaf!re.com, in multiple parts if the album is over 100mbs. The reason for this is that we know mediaf!re is safe and efficient and allows multiple downloads. The ads on other sites, such as Sendspace, are known to contain viruses on the page. Get yourself checked out.

Post your link using code tags. It's the # icon above the policeman emoticon. This prevents the links from being traced back to the forums, lowering the chance that the wrong people notice the thread, potentially threatening Jeph with legal action.

Also, please do NOT request albums.

Repost the rules at the top of each new page.

Wait, Los Campesinos released another album this year? Hold on Now Youngster? Oh, and I'm sorry, I didn't actually read the rules before I requested Sticking Fingers into Sockets. So as per the rules, I'm not going to request Hold on Now Youngster. But I'm just saying, it'd probably be a good idea to put it up. It would, umm, contribute to the collection here. yes, let's go with that.
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2008, 21:00 by LittleKey »

notnamed

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #92 on: 22 Sep 2008, 21:15 »

Hello happy music people. I would like to share with you a band that is awesome. This band is called Black Violin.

For those who wish to see just how awesome this is before downloading, click.

On May 21st 2005 Black Violin, two classically trained musicians took home the title ‘2005 Apollo Legends’ which catapulted them to international fame. These two gentlemen, Kev Marcus and Wil B along with their DJ TK have created the ultimate synergy between classical and Hip-Hop music, and with it an incredible opportunity to reach young children. Since their triumph at the Apollo, Black Violin has toured with Linkin Park’s lead singer Mike Shinoda throughout the country and abroad, performed at the NFL Kick off party with ‘Diddy’, performed at the Billboard Awards with Alicia Keys, been featured on Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson, Lil Kim, and Brooke Hogan’s albums, and has been giving an Award by the Brooklyn Center for Performing Arts for their Outstanding Contributions to Middle & High School Performing Arts Students. Kev Marcus, and Wil b, both graduates of Dillard Performing Arts High School, used their musical talents to earn full scholarships to college. Now Black Violin wants to make sure that America’s young people get the same exposure to the arts, and therefore the same opportunity that they did.

Besides all that silly name-dropping, they have several awesome tracks that blend modern-sounding hip-hop with classical strings. I cannot describe it better than that because I do not really listen to hip-hop or classical strings, sorry. Some of their stuff still sounds a little too "top 40" for my taste but it's fairly listenable.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?j32qzynycid

Oqtober

• Plantmonster
« Reply #93 on: 22 Sep 2008, 21:46 »

Clint Mansell and the Kronos Quartet - Requiem For A Dream OST

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?nmwqarls9de

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #94 on: 22 Sep 2008, 22:22 »

Yes. I'm uploading now, sirrah.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

LittleKey

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #95 on: 22 Sep 2008, 22:24 »

Hello happy music people. I would like to share with you a band that is awesome. This band is called Black Violin.

For those who wish to see just how awesome this is before downloading, click.

On May 21st 2005 Black Violin, two classically trained musicians took home the title ‘2005 Apollo Legends’ which catapulted them to international fame. These two gentlemen, Kev Marcus and Wil B along with their DJ TK have created the ultimate synergy between classical and Hip-Hop music, and with it an incredible opportunity to reach young children. Since their triumph at the Apollo, Black Violin has toured with Linkin Park’s lead singer Mike Shinoda throughout the country and abroad, performed at the NFL Kick off party with ‘Diddy’, performed at the Billboard Awards with Alicia Keys, been featured on Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson, Lil Kim, and Brooke Hogan’s albums, and has been giving an Award by the Brooklyn Center for Performing Arts for their Outstanding Contributions to Middle & High School Performing Arts Students. Kev Marcus, and Wil b, both graduates of Dillard Performing Arts High School, used their musical talents to earn full scholarships to college. Now Black Violin wants to make sure that America’s young people get the same exposure to the arts, and therefore the same opportunity that they did.

Besides all that silly name-dropping, they have several awesome tracks that blend modern-sounding hip-hop with classical strings. I cannot describe it better than that because I do not really listen to hip-hop or classical strings, sorry. Some of their stuff still sounds a little too "top 40" for my taste but it's fairly listenable.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?j32qzynycid

I'm enjoying this a lot, thank you  :-). mediaf!re is so great.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #96 on: 22 Sep 2008, 22:45 »

Yes. I'm uploading now, sirrah.
http://www.mediafire.com/?myzutfgeayaAlan Sparhawk - Solo Guitar
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #97 on: 23 Sep 2008, 00:28 »

Okay, finally getting started on uploading the Fabriclive stuff. So basically, there's this club in London called Fabric, opened up in '99. It's known for hosting prominent DJs and for being one of the all-around best dance clubs in the world. They have different types of music playing on different nights, and to that end they have released two different series of DJ compilation albums. Fabric encompasses all the house and straightforward electronica, and I haven't even begun to download that shit yet. Fabriclive is the D&B / hip hop / dance rock series. There are quite a few of these compilation albums. I personally was introduced to them through the James Murphy / Pat Mahoney compilation of old electrofunk cuts (Fabriclive 36)

I'm starting out the uploads with the seventh in the Fabriclive series, which was John Peel's. It has a bluegrass version of Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" on it. What the fuck are you waiting for? Snag that shit.

Fabriclive 7 (John Peel) Part 1
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?nylwmczwdnlFabriclive 7 (John Peel) Part 2
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?cmyzt3ommz3
Also, here is the first Fabriclive. James Lavelle.

Fabriclive 1 (James Lavelle) Part 1
http://www.mediafire.com/?dt1dzrfoeemFabriclive 1 (James Lavelle) Part 2
http://www.mediafire.com/?2ozvwymjejz
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2008, 01:17 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ckypissdrunk

« Reply #98 on: 23 Sep 2008, 01:43 »

Do you know where I can get all the fabric's and fabriclives.  I'd give you my sister for such information.

:mrgreen:

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #99 on: 23 Sep 2008, 07:01 »

It's rapidshare, but I figured some people might be interested. Perhaps...

Oasis - Dig Out Your Soul

This is down already  :-(
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Up