Butts
- 7 (9.5%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 2 (2.7%)
Jeph surprises us
- 11 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2631-2635 (Feb 03 - 07 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 42054 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Look! A Poll!!!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Went for "Clairepocalypse” just because it's such a nice word to say. Would be quite happy to see the swing girl show up at CoD and maybe get a name too.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

I don't think the Tai Inquisition and the Clairepocalypse are mutually incompatible.

A lot of us seem to be expecting the Tai Inquisition. I'll mention that in passing and leave any other jokes just lying there. Pick them up at your own risk.  :-D
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

I don't think the Tai Inquisition and the Clairepocalypse are mutually incompatible.

A lot of us seem to be expecting the Tai Inquisition. I'll mention that in passing and leave any other jokes just lying there. Pick them up at your own risk.  :-D

No one expects the Claire Inquisition!  :-P

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I can see all of the above. 

At once. 

Except purple monkey dishwasher, that's just silly! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

I can see all of the above. 

At once. 

Except purple monkey dishwasher, that's just silly!

The Tequila Bear would never allow it to hone in on its turf.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

As I type this, the Tai Inquisition has 12 votes.

Just sayin'.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Steve and Cosette having troubles? Dang, they have been together for so long hope it's nothing serious.
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2014, 20:15 by LookingIn »

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

It was a non-fulfilling random hookup, Mark, deal with it.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

At least Steve's using his own bathroom this time!
Steve and Cosette having troubles? Dang, they have been together for so long hope it's nothing serious.
What? No, the joke was that he was about to high five Marten and then Marten didn't deserve it anymore at the last moment so he had to stop.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

It was a non-fulfilling random hookup, Mark, deal with it.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

What? No, the joke was that he was about to high five Marten and then Marten didn't deserve it anymore at the last moment so he had to stop.
So is the "total blueballs" in Steve's line talking about himself or Marten?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Himself, but not actual blueballs. High five blueballs (hence Marten's response).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish

I said Jeph surprises us because I want Marten to wake up at 2:30 in the morning remembering Delilah's name.  Then Pintsize give him a boot to the head or something.

FilliamHMuffman

• Not quite a lurker

Looks like Marten associates sex with emotion and feelings. When the emotion is removed he isn't satisfied and feels used. The last part you can argue isn't justified because the engagement was mutual between them, but that is not the end all be all in my opinion.

Reminds of me of an episode of Regular Show (I'm a big fan) where Mordecai is talking to Starla.
"Look, I know how Muscle Man can be. He's annoying, he smells, and he pretty much has no common decency for others, but he's still human, and he has feelings. We all do.  We're just fragile beings looking for someone to share something with. To laugh with. To love."

The latter part of the quote applies to some people and it doesn't for others. I think there would be less hostility here if we all just recognized that that is the kind of guy Marten is and to suspend judgement accordingly.
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2014, 20:58 by FilliamHMuffman »
"Enter their minds, and you'll find the judges you're so afraid of - and how judiciously they judge themselves."

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Looks like Martin associates sex with emotion and feelings.
Is this strange?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FilliamHMuffman

• Not quite a lurker

Is this strange?

Not at all, I am the same way.
"Enter their minds, and you'll find the judges you're so afraid of - and how judiciously they judge themselves."

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

Is this strange?

The feelings or the misspelling?
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

FilliamHMuffman

• Not quite a lurker

Is this strange?

The feelings or the misspelling?

Bleh, I really cannot spell names. I edited the post to correct it, thanks for pointing it out.

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

Funnily enough, I was just reading a thread on another forum discussing a similar topic (random hookups vs. actual relationships).  One post really stood out to me:

And why don't you want a relationship? In all honesty, sex with someone you love, is about a bazillion times better then a hook-up.

It's like comparing a pizza straight out of the oven, crispy, with all the tastes properly distributed to a pizza that has been in the fridge for a week. It will do if you are really hungry, but unless you are high, it will not taste as good as you hoped.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Ha, dang, I honestly didn't even notice the misspelling, and if I had I would've fixed it in my quote. But no, obviously not the misspelling.

Jazzmaster, I really don't like that post, and not only because cold pizza is awesome (and it totally is).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Is this strange?

It is something I personally don't understand but that seems to be common. But I think Filliam was just categorizing Marten into that group, not trying to say it was unusual to be in it.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Woo! Bonus strip with Cosette! I expected this thread was finished last week, but I was wrong. I imagine Cosette went to the bathroom after panel #1, and that the rest of the strip is without Cosette overhearing. That way, Steve can loosen up and talk to Marten as a good bro.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Oh, I took "blue balls" and Marten's joke in the last panel to mean Steve and Cosette haven't had relations for a while...

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Nah, I don't see anything to support that, Steve and Cosette seem fine.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

Cosette sure can state the obvious.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

To me, a guy won't mention blue balls while looking down in a clearly ashamed look unless there is something to the blue balls...I hope there isn't, but I also don't believe in coincidences.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Marten has turned down casual sex before, when Sven offered to introduce him to hot no-strings-attached women.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

To me, a guy won't mention blue balls while looking down in a clearly ashamed look unless there is something to the blue balls...I hope there isn't, but I also don't believe in coincidences.
He's looking at his hand while talking about a high five. I'd say his look is more disappointed than ashamed.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Steve obviously thinks Marten is stupid because he's got feelings, instead of just being happy for gettin' some. I don't really get the blueballs reference, is it because Marten is not satisfied with the situation?

What are Cosette's thoughts about this? Does she feel sorry for Marten, or does she think he is an idiot? It is what we could call "slutty behavior" by Marten, but a real slut would probably not show feelings afterwards?

EDIT: Can Steve's blueball remark indicate problems between him and Cosette? If so, could Cosette's flashing last week not have been an accident, but a way to get Marten's interest?

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Steve was just about to do a high five. He does not get to do it. Steves compares this to blue balls. Marten then suggests that Steve relieves this by going to the bathroom to high five himself.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Sure - but it's really quite contrived, not one of Jeph's best by a long way.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Steve was just about to do a high five. He does not get to do it. Steves compares this to blue balls. Marten then suggests that Steve relieves this by going to the bathroom to high five himself.
Possibly, but open to interpretation. I hope we see Cosette again tomorrow. Too bad if Jeph ends this thread without resolving this issue.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

Exactly, plus the implication that Steve is entitled to high five himself because he did "get some" of what Marten didn't i.e. not just the sex, but the meaningful relationship. Marten's obviously a bit jealous - in the last frame he seems to be looking at the bathroom where Cosette is, and maybe wondering what would have happened if he'd been able to take up her earlier invitation which he'd rejected because he was with Dora at the time.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Sure - but it's really quite contrived, not one of Jeph's best by a long way.

It didn't seem remotely contrived to me. This thread, on the other hand, was a little bemusing TBH.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

For some reason, I suddenly have Faith No More on the brain after reading that last bit of dialogue from Mark... er, Marten.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Exactly, plus the implication that Steve is entitled to high five himself because he did "get some" of what Marten didn't i.e. not just the sex, but the meaningful relationship. Marten's obviously a bit jealous - in the last frame he seems to be looking at the bathroom where Cosette is, and maybe wondering what would have happened if he'd been able to take up her earlier invitation which he'd rejected because he was with Dora at the time.
Excellent analysis! It is good to have the Forum to discuss these things, otherwise I would have missed it.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

It hasn't quite started yet, but sweet Jesus can we please not spend this thread once again overanalysing one night stands. I think we pretty much well established last week that some people like 'em and some people don't.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Murphy's Law, version 1322:
  • If you are in a relationship, you will have better offers, but are not able to act
  • If you are single, these better offers will never happen

JRDelirio

• Plantmonster

I fully expect that in the QCverse there will be more than enough characters who will be sympathetic to Marten's situation and tell him, "hey, nothing wrong with being unsatisfied with a zipless hookup, just recognize it as what it is and don't get hung up on it."   There was a lot of build-up from Dora, Faye and Tai for him to get back on the saddle but they are not inside his head.   Marten is simply facing one of the risks of the model in which you go for the sexual hookup first and then see if you can build a relationship afterwards -- which as far as we can tell he has not found to be a problem before, probably because prior shootdowns happened up front a-la the lieutenant.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Just came across an old strip (1918) where Steve had second thoughts about Cosette moving in. Perhaps not relevant in this week's discussion, but it is always useful to have all facts at hand.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

I'll gues you have to to to the bathroom [...]
  :? Thats not english ... ?
Carpe Diem

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

The second to should be go.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

It's a typo. Substitute "to go to" instead.  The "t" key is just above the "g" key on US keyboards.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

@Method of Madness, Mr_Rose: Aaah thanks !

Is this strange?
Apparently ? To some people.

I don't really get the blueballs reference, is it because Marten is not satisfied with the situation?
Steve is disappointed about Martens attitude. He wanted him to high five for hooking up. But Martens attitude changes Steves mind and he's "blueballed", i.e. disappointed, now. At least thats how I understood it. I'm not a native english speaker so the whole "blueballs" concept is rather alien to me.

Excellent analysis!
Actually for me it sounds pretty far fetched. Marten is thinking about the situation, thats why he's looking away, and not at Steve.
Carpe Diem

nosaJay19

• Plantmonster
  • Ready...! Say "fuzzy pickles!"

Apparently everyone expects the Tai Inquisition.  :mrgreen:

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

Murphy's Law, version 1322:
  • If you are in a relationship, you will have better offers, but are not able to act
  • If you are single, these better offers will never happen
It's not a pheromone, of course.  It's that people in a relationship are calmer and more relaxed with the opposite sex, which is much more attractive than the tenseness that comes with sexual frustration. And the longer you are single, the worse it gets as the desperation starts to show. It's like the first time job seekers' vicious circle i.e. can't get a job without experience/can't get experience without a job. 
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Contrived though it may be, the blueballs reference is a callback. (HT MoM)

My archive-fu is weak... anyone wanna help out?

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Contrived though it may be, the blueballs reference is a callback. (HT MoM)

My archive-fu is weak... anyone wanna help out?
There are several. Here is one.

It's not a pheromone, of course.  It's that people in a relationship are calmer and more relaxed with the opposite sex, which is much more attractive than the tenseness that comes with sexual frustration. And the longer you are single, the worse it gets as the desperation starts to show. It's like the first time job seekers' vicious circle i.e. can't get a job without experience/can't get experience without a job. 
Thank you. Now I am really depressed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up