Butts
- 7 (9.5%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 2 (2.7%)
Jeph surprises us
- 11 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2631-2635 (Feb 03 - 07 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 42035 times)

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

...Not sure how many of our female forumites will approve of the phrase 'settling' for small tits.
Well, if they want to get angry, it is their privilege. But that implies that small tits are inferior to big boobs. In reality, it is about personal preferences and fetishes. As for myself, I really like small tits.
Anything more than a mouthful is wasted.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I really despise that phrase. It is almost invariably being used in a sexual sense, and it implies that the sole purpose of breasts is to please other people, by being available for sucking.

Of course if you are talking about breastfeeding, that is still complete rubbish because the entire breast is involved in creating the milk, through the glands, not just the nipple and areola.

Basically, please don't ever tell someone that a percentage of their body is "wasted" because it doesn't precisely conform to what you want from it.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Well, if they want to get angry, it is their privilege.
You might want to be more careful with your choice of words.
I did not catch that, but it might be because English is not my native language. Sorry if it was used in a wrong context.
Oh no, it's perfectly correct, if slightly archaic, English. It is, however, bad American; where "privilege" is stigmatised you naturally get push-back when you tell people they have it. Modern usage would suggest "it is their right" instead.
Correct English is perhaps a topic in another discussion. One problem is that there are several variants. Another problem is us stupid foreigners who make mistakes.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I think the point is that you are neither stupid, nor mistaken in your usage. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Nuclear_Nipple_Tester

• Not quite a lurker
  • yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssss

I did not catch that, but it might be because English is not my native language. Sorry if it was used in a wrong context.
Oh no, it's perfectly correct, if slightly archaic, English. It is, however, bad American; where "privilege" is stigmatised you naturally get push-back when you tell people they have it. Modern usage would suggest "it is their right" instead.
Correct English is perhaps a topic in another discussion. One problem is that there are several variants. Another problem is us stupid foreigners who make mistakes.

Funny,  I've started running into "privilege shaming" in certain areas of the US.    Not sure why I should feel shame for having a job and a car and a nice shirt...  I worked very hard to earn those things.   If they were in fact privilege and not earned I wouldn't be confused.    To me it seems a case of "that word doesn't mean what you think it means."     

On the subject of boob-size...   Boobs -- large or small -- get you noticed.   Everything and anything  else that comes after that initial "mmm boobs" moment renders them largely (or smally heh) irrelevant.  ;)
---

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I would suggest heading over to the Discuss forum and reading the stickied thread at the top - privilege is not earned, it is an advantage achieved at birth which makes it easier for you to get a job and a car and a nice shirt. You aren't being shamed, you are being asked to recognise that for people who do not have the same privilege of being the right colour, the right social class, the right gender, the right appearance or whatever, it is not as easy to earn the things that you consider to be your due.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Nuclear_Nipple_Tester

• Not quite a lurker

I would suggest heading over to the Discuss forum and reading the stickied thread at the top - privilege is not earned, it is an advantage achieved at birth which makes it easier for you to get a job and a car and a nice shirt. You aren't being shamed, you are being asked to recognise that for people who do not have the same privilege of being the right colour, the right social class, the right gender, the right appearance or whatever, it is not as easy to earn the things that you consider to be your due.

I think I'll do just that, thank you.

Despite any advantage others may perceive me as having,  those things I mention still had to be earned.    Of course it is just a bit off to shame someone over perceived privilege when you don't know what they had to overcome to earn that nice shirt.  I think that is what bothers me most about it.   

Anyway,  back to the comic discussion!  I'll take a look at the other thread you mentioned.   
---

Barmymoo

• Mentat

The advantage is societally ingrained, it's not a discredit on an individual to benefit from it but it is, if nothing else, polite to recognise it.

Also, the thread I was referring to is no longer stickied - I wasn't meaning to direct you to the rules, sorry! In fact I can't find it anywhere, including the trashbin...

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Probably you mean the one in "Relate", right? That one is stickied and it's called "Privilege and Self-examination" or something similar.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I thought Sven was more of a....latent chubby chaser? That convo with Hanners really kinda leans that way.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

...I would suggest heading over to the Discuss forum...In fact I can't find it anywhere, including the trashbin...

It's in the RELATE section:
 Privilege and Self Examination.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2014, 11:43 by K1dmor »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It always was, I'm the one who stickied it.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Smallest

• Curry sauce

I actually quite like Marigold, but her skin has been driving me insane since that first time in CoD that Dora suggested a makeover. Of course some acne/face rashes/etc can't be prevented, but the blackheads and stuff, augh. Even if she wasn't gross and pop-y with them, they're easy to get rid of. Hot water, maybe exfoliate, use an oil cleanser and a good moisturizer, use some salicylic acid to chemically exfoliate the pores now and then. Since she has had it forever and it's America so prescriptions (if they were needed) are more expensive, I understand that it wouldn't get perfect, but it could be a lot better.

Her hygiene has been getting better since before Faye and Angus, and Hanners has great hygiene and good skin, so I can't imagine why she hasn't gotten onto some kind of skin care, even if it's just a drug store wash and moisturizer.

(although her skin got notably better right started having hygiene and lost the rats, it hasn't really since then)

Just a barely-related complaint, I was looking at her face in the last panel.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Thank you guys, I thought I was going mad! Of course it's there, that's the logical place for it to be :psyduck:

Smallest, I had bad skin for years and years and nothing shifted it, not even medication. I just had to wait until I grew out of it (and going on the Pill helped, I think).

Carl-E

• Awakened

Then there's nerves.  She's been anticipating this date for a while, and oddly enough, that can influence bad skin conditions...

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Plus what does it matter? If it's not uncomfortable and not causing her any problems, and it's clearly not putting off Dale from wanting to date her, then why should she scrub her skin with chemicals? Maybe I'm a little sensitive since I lived with acne for over a decade and was bullied about it but your post seems pretty shaming - "if you just tried harder you'd have better skin, why are you so lazy and therefore ugly?".

Carl-E

• Awakened

It's a pretty common reaction by people with good skin privilege...   :angel: :roll: :-D :psyduck:

Barmymoo

• Mentat

You know what, it's not even about privilege. It's about not being an asshat - just treat people nicely! And remember that sometimes other people are not the same as you and they are probably the experts in their own lives and you should accept what they tell you about themselves. If you follow those two rules you get a long way without even starting to think about privilege.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Sorry, Smallest, that wasn't directed at you, I'm not saying you're an asshat. I'm a wee tad grumpy this evening.

Nuclear_Nipple_Tester

• Not quite a lurker

Sorry, Smallest, that wasn't directed at you, I'm not saying you're an asshat. I'm a wee tad grumpy this evening.

Oh sure.  Don't get me started on  over-privileged grumpy people and your right to demand that the rest of us get off your lawn.    I GRUMP-PRIVILEGE SHAME YOU WITH THE FORCE OF A SMALL VIGOROUS SNOW-STORM!!!     :-D

(and just to be 100% clear that is strictly a joke.)
---

Barmymoo

• Mentat

It's my party and I'll grump if I want to!

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Is there any canonical evidence that the things on her face are acne and not just plain freckles and/or beauty marks?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Trigger warning: Grumpiness.
Grumpiness warning: Triggers.
Warning: Grumpy triggers.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Meanwhile, it is still 9 AM in QC. Marigold still has a lot of waiting to do. With the usual time dilation effect, we should expect Dale to arrive around Easter (our time). Marten is probably walking home, depressed and lonely. I assume it is Sunday morning, someone (probably Dora) is opening CoD. Tai is on her way to report about Marten's activities last night.

So, what else can happen during a long and boring day? We shall see tomorrow!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Plus what does it matter? If it's not uncomfortable and not causing her any problems, and it's clearly not putting off Dale from wanting to date her, then why should she scrub her skin with chemicals? Maybe I'm a little sensitive since I lived with acne for over a decade and was bullied about it but your post seems pretty shaming - "if you just tried harder you'd have better skin, why are you so lazy and therefore ugly?".
I have awful skin too. Thankfully I outgrew the worst of it (constant rashes on my forehead spreading down my face), but I still have worse than normal skin. I don't think me or Marigold is ugly though (she actually looks like my friend's prettier sister, although a truly ugly character would be conceptually interesting). The reason Marigold bothers me is that she complains about her appearance, which is a problem, and given her history of uncleanliness but recent showering and stuff (I can't get this down on paper the way I want it to read), it doesn't seem like she's working on that part. Of course I could be wrong, but my interpretation is that she isn't trying, not has incurable skin issues, and although early on I might have gone 'poor marigold doesn't know how to take care of her skin and feels ugly :(' I feel like by now, one of the girls (most likely Hanners) would have helped her figure that out. The complaining but not trying to fix it is what bothers me. Maybe she has tried to fix it, but it doesn't seem so.

Not sure if I made that any more understandable or less offensive. I think I repeated myself trying to clarify which makes me sound dumb, whoops.

Regarding whether or not it's acne- what I thought were blackheads could be moles or freckles, but most of the spots move around

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Spots aren't anything to do with cleanliness though, they're usually caused by either a bacterial infection or fluctuating hormonal levels.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

The reason Marigold bothers me is that she complains about her appearance, which is a problem, and given her history of uncleanliness but recent showering and stuff (I can't get this down on paper the way I want it to read), it doesn't seem like she's working on that part. Of course I could be wrong, but my interpretation is that she isn't trying, not has incurable skin issues, and although early on I might have gone 'poor marigold doesn't know how to take care of her skin and feels ugly :(' I feel like by now, one of the girls (most likely Hanners) would have helped her figure that out. The complaining but not trying to fix it is what bothers me. Maybe she has tried to fix it, but it doesn't seem so.

You ever known anyone with self-esteem issues before? Know how many overweight people I know who complain about feeling fat and do absolutely nothing about it because they think it won't make a difference? It's pretty common. When people experience self-loathing they don't think anything will help.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

It was a non-fulfilling random hookup, Mark, deal with it.

Marten has proven over and over that he is a relationship guy - a stroll through the archives will prove that pretty handily. He just needs to realize that sometimes, it's ok to just enjoy the ride without the baggage.

Which can take quite a while if you've really bought into the "sex is no good if it's not with someone you love" viewpoint -- I believe I was already in my forties by the time I figured that out. By then I was already married to my second wife (who was also my second girlfriend), and since we're still married, figuring that out didn't really help me at that point.  8-)

Yep.

Haha, yes, and that particular occasion led to one of my favorite Marigold strips, 1684.

Edit: And yeah, I should have finished reading the rest of the posts before posting that link, since at least two other people beat me to it.  :roll:
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2014, 17:00 by Storel »

Smallest

• Curry sauce

The reason Marigold bothers me is that she complains about her appearance, which is a problem, and given her history of uncleanliness but recent showering and stuff (I can't get this down on paper the way I want it to read), it doesn't seem like she's working on that part. Of course I could be wrong, but my interpretation is that she isn't trying, not has incurable skin issues, and although early on I might have gone 'poor marigold doesn't know how to take care of her skin and feels ugly :(' I feel like by now, one of the girls (most likely Hanners) would have helped her figure that out. The complaining but not trying to fix it is what bothers me. Maybe she has tried to fix it, but it doesn't seem so.

You ever known anyone with self-esteem issues before? Know how many overweight people I know who complain about feeling fat and do absolutely nothing about it because they think it won't make a difference? It's pretty common. When people experience self-loathing they don't think anything will help.

This is a fair argument.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

RE: past comics
These prove for me what I thought about the new comic format: It's liable to have less content per comic. The characters are now often drawn way more close-up (bigger) than before and the font has doubled in size, so Jeph has more or less halved the content by making the single panels larger.

I disagree. Taking 2632 as an example, under the stricter 4-panel  format, we would have seen multiple panels of Marigold sitting on the couch, fretting. With this new layout, we see more of her body language, so we're more aware of what she's feeling. Also I take the additional area given to that panel to mean that we should give it more attention/more weight in terms of the timing and the beats. I don't see what content has been taken away.

Looking now at 2630, the wider top and bottom allow us to get more detail in the frame. Jeph can then show us the rhythm of Marten getting challenged by Cosette in a way he couldn't get away with as easily in the four-panel layout... side by side opposing views...then return to the original framing for the punchline.

I think Jeph's providing the same content as before, he's just using framing and art to express it more now instead of words. I'm getting a better sense of the rhythm and timing than before, and I'm enjoying it, even the sparse comics

Which is or course fine if Jeph likes it better, but I still hope that comics like during the party with more panels with smaller people in them will be more common than these two or three-panel comics with large close-ups and hardly any dialogue.
I think the next big party scene is going to have some setup panels that are extraordinary and detailed, and then he'll zoom in when he wants to isolate for dialogue. The new format will give him more tools with which to tell his story the way he wants to.

Flowers4Hordak

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Steampunk She-Ra
    • Holding Onto the Magic

Marigold: "If I sit right here and don't move nothing can go wrong."

Jeph, get out of my head! :wink: Seriously, though... I have my first date in three years, my third ever, and I've had to postpone it twice already--once due to car trouble, and once due to blizzardy-conditions and me being sick. What the frick?! Cursed, I tell ya. Cursed.  :roll:

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Marigold: "If I sit right here and don't move nothing can go wrong."

Jeph, get out of my head! :wink: Seriously, though... I have my first date in three years, my third ever, and I've had to postpone it twice already--once due to car trouble, and once due to blizzardy-conditions and me being sick. What the frick?! Cursed, I tell ya. Cursed.  :roll:

I was always the exact opposite but for the same reason. Do stuff all day, then put on my makeup and get dressed right before leaving in the minimum time possible so I wouldn't be able to smudge my face or spill stuff on myself.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

@F4H - Considering it's your third date and it's been three years since your last one, it makes sense that it would take three attempts :parrot:

And welcome to the forum!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Is there any canonical evidence that the things on her face are acne and not just plain freckles and/or beauty marks?

In strip 1495 Marigold said she had "bad skin", but that's not conclusive.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Well, now I'm pretty sure it's a stress break out

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Eep.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish

Oh dear.  Flashbacks of when I got chickenpox in my mid twenties.  NOT good material for a comic strip, or is it?!

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

maybe they're hives?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

chickenpox in my mid twenties.
How on earth did you get it that late?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

Benadryl now, maybe.  She should probably pack an EpiPen for the actual date.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

chickenpox in my mid twenties.
How on earth did you get it that late?

If you managed to avoid it as a kid, then you can still catch it. It is also apparently possible (albeit rare) to catch it a second time. I've known one person to have that happen. Apparently it was nasty.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

If you managed to avoid it as a kid
That's what I meant, though. How did they not catch it as a kid?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

If you managed to avoid it as a kid
That's what I meant, though. How did they not catch it as a kid?

...by just not catching it? Pretty sure I never did.

Prerogative.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

girlcrimson

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I never caught chicken pox and I spent my whole childhood either at my public elementary school or at my home full of day care kids. I didn't realize you needed chicken pox before being initiated into adulthood...? Is it that uncommon not to get it?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

maybe they're hives?

I guess so, from the title.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Quote from: jeph
Time for some Benadryl, Mar-Bear.

Or some thorazine...   :-o

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Chicken pox as an adult is or can be shingles, which is more serious - that's why it's best to get it as a child and build up immunity. I think my uncle got shingles despite having had chicken pox as a kid though, so it's not foolproof.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up