Butts
- 7 (9.5%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 2 (2.7%)
Jeph surprises us
- 11 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2631-2635 (Feb 03 - 07 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 42045 times)

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I was specifically thinking of the one where Steve is hanging with Dora and Marten... "There's lotion under the sink"

Referenced over in that time-wasting website:

Oops. found it in a cross-reference: "At least a ball pit is better than nothing"

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Bro mo no go oh no.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Yolo- *blam*

*thud*
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

At the risk of derailing, there is a perfect example of why I think Davies kinda blew as a show runner.

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

It was a non-fulfilling random hookup, Mark, deal with it.

Marten has proven over and over that he is a relationship guy - a stroll through the archives will prove that pretty handily. He just needs to realize that sometimes, it's ok to just enjoy the ride without the baggage.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

At the risk of derailing, there is a perfect example of why I think Davies kinda blew as a show runner.

I dunno about that. He did get a bit weird at the end of his term, but he did bring the series back in a big way. I fukkin loved the Eccleston series and the first Tennant series.
Similarly, Moffat started well (especially his one-off shows during the Tennant series), but now it's just plain weird.

Anyway, yes, comic. back on track. very good. hookups. Mark. Dumbledore. yes.
I do think you guys are overthinking the whole Steve "blue balls" thing. He really did just want a high-five.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Ha, that's what I've been saying this whole time.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

What, overthinking on this forum? Never!  :-D

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

And perfect timing, Marigold overthinks her date with Dale in today's strippy.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

"Uh, Marigold, the apartment is on fire."
"I said, NOTHING CAN GO WRONG."
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

What, the comic is up already? This is the earliest I can remember it ever going up.

That is a VERY white dress Marigold is wearing. If she so much as moves a muscle, she'll spill something all over it and have to change. So yeah, she's just going to sit really still for the next ten hours.  :-D

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Hasn't she worn it before?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
~She/Her/They/Them~

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

And perfect timing, Marigold overthinks her date with Dale in today's strippy.
Oh well, it is good to be prepared. I foresee more awkwardness. What can Momo do this time? Will she need help from May? How can they possibly avoid utter failure?

Recommended medication: A solid dose of alcohol. It has worked before.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

Up next: the most cautious date in human history
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Marigold, you are ruining the Clairepocalypse.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

Funnily enough, I was just reading a thread on another forum discussing a similar topic (random hookups vs. actual relationships).  One post really stood out to me:

And why don't you want a relationship? In all honesty, sex with someone you love, is about a bazillion times better then a hook-up.

It's like comparing a pizza straight out of the oven, crispy, with all the tastes properly distributed to a pizza that has been in the fridge for a week. It will do if you are really hungry, but unless you are high, it will not taste as good as you hoped.

...so, wait. In this example, hot fresh pizza is the long-term relationship while cold kept pizza is the random hook-up? Did the person making this analogy realize they were completely inverting the chronology of pizza-to-relationship measurement when they wrote this?

I mean, if you think about it from a timeline perspective, disregarding temperature characteristics, the random hook-up is the hot fresh pizza you haven't tried yet and the long-term relationship is the cold pizza you've had before and already know you enjoy enough to keep it around after the heat has died down. Whether or not that analogy works sorta depends on what a given person thinks of hot vs. cold pizza, but attributing them the other way around just doesn't make sense.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm kind of uncomfortable with comparing people to pizza and I'm also kind of hungry.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I'm kind of uncomfortable with comparing people to pizza and I'm also kind of hungry.
Here, have some Soylent Green.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Here, have some Soylent Green.
I see what you did there.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Hasn't she worn it before?
Yep.
And she has the most amazing rack in that dress.
In today's strip, the rack is even more amazing. I do not suspect Marigold has had breast enlargement, so I would attribute it to Jeph's character development and accompanying drawing style. I do not know if Dale has a breast fetish (but Sven certainly has).

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Murphy's Law, version 1322:
  • If you are in a relationship, you will have better offers, but are not able to act
  • If you are single, these better offers will never happen

To all of you fantasizing theorizing about Marten / Cosette, may I remind you that the above mentioned strip is Cosette's first appearance. 

Wherein she has worked up the nerve to ask Our Intrepid Anti-Hero out for a date.  Of course, she decides to drown her sorrows at CoD, and the arc climaxes here

One of Jeph's best intro's ever.  Gets straight to the heart of Cosette's character...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I dunno about that. He did get a bit weird at the end of his term, but he did bring the series back in a big way. I fukkin loved the Eccleston series and the first Tennant series.
Similarly, Moffat started well (especially his one-off shows during the Tennant series), but now it's just plain weird.

I also love the Eccleston series, but I hate that Davies seems to think 'we need an idea for an alien, so let's just anthropomorphosise an animal. Space pig! Space rhino!'

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

The space pig was a pig. A regular Earth pig, surgically altered as part of a moderately sophisticated misdirection. That is, there never was an actual space pig.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

No. But there was a space rhino.

Why are they just rhinos? They couldn't come up with something better?

I'm sure there was a third one as well but I can't remember it.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

The trouble is that, with the truly incredible diversity of life on Earth, it's nearly inevitable that anything you come up with is going to be, on some level, a Space <$extantSpecies>
Unless it's a Space <$mythologicalSpecies> of course.
After ten thousand years of humans telling each other stories and fifteen billion years of evolution coming up with increasingly bizarre ways to live, avoiding overlapping one or both is increasingly hard.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Why vertebrates at all, though?  In order to get to an industrial civilization, you kinda need large land animals (for reasons of fire and logistics).  Large land animals on Earth are all vertebrates, but imagine vertebrates never developed.  Would nature have to invent them, or would some other branch of life develop to fill that niche?

Vertebrates (with attributes like bone, teeth, and hair) are a cop-out.  If you're going to go that way, you might as well admit the aliens are not really alien.  Have all worlds populated by humans, and have them all wonder how that came to be ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

The trouble is that, with the truly incredible diversity of life on Earth, it's nearly inevitable that anything you come up with is going to be, on some level, a Space <$extantSpecies>
Unless it's a Space <$mythologicalSpecies> of course.
After ten thousand years of humans telling each other stories and fifteen billion years of evolution coming up with increasingly bizarre ways to live, avoiding overlapping one or both is increasingly hard.

Right, call me when we contact the Glorious Labia People of Smirnoff 5.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

They couldn't even make a rhino with like, ten horns, or no ears, or a rhino elephant hybrid?

Nope. Just a rhino face.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

As for amazing racks: Of the main characters, only Faye and Marigold qualifies (and Marigold wins). How does this influence past/present/potential partners? Are they attracted to big boobs, or is this of secondary importance?
  • Dale has never indicated any boob preferences. And he certainly is not interested in Faye. Therefore, it is Marigold's other qualifications that matters.
  • Angus has hooked up with Faye, but turned Marigold down. Still, he appreciates a nice pair of tits. He also likes to play with boobs.
  • Marten was very much into Faye, but probably not because of the boobs, as his real affairs has been with less endowed women.
  • Sven definitely likes big boobs (and ass).
  • Both Dora and Tai likes big boobs (see here and here). Still, Tai and Dora have settled for each other's small tits.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Oh Jesus Christ...

...Not sure how many of our female forumites will approve of the phrase 'settling' for small tits.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

imagine vertebrates never developed.  Would nature have to invent them, or would some other branch of life develop to fill that niche?

Well, you're not going to get very far with any form of industrial civilisation without some form of rigid structure to manipulate the world with.   And there are straightforward physical reasons why exoskeletons stop being practical beyond a certain size, and so only the endoskeletal lifeforms continue to larger sizes.  Symmetry leads to a natural preference for even number of limbs, and four is an obvious minimal number for ease of locomotion (six to provide for four on the ground and a pair for manipulating things would also seem reasonable, but coming through an evolutionary path like ours, there's no obvious way to get them at the point that the need for the manipulating limbs appears).  Having a movable top to hold visual and audio sensors is also an obvious evolutionary advantage.  So consideration of the underlying needs and physical limitations does seem to point to the development of a structure not unlike out vertebrates.  Details of digestion and respiration could be greatly different, though, and might have to be so in different "atmospheric" conditions - e.g. in a liquid world (which might also modify the requirements for limbs, though not those foe some kind of rigidity).

EDIT:  Um, why have I written that lot in a WCDT thread before we've reached the weekend ramblings??
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Both Dora and Tai likes big boobs (see here and here).
Nah, those links just show they like warmth.  8-)

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

...Not sure how many of our female forumites will approve of the phrase 'settling' for small tits.
Well, if they want to get angry, it is their privilege. But that implies that small tits are inferior to big boobs. In reality, it is about personal preferences and fetishes. As for myself, I really like small tits.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

imagine vertebrates never developed.  Would nature have to invent them, or would some other branch of life develop to fill that niche?

Well, you're not going to get very far with any form of industrial civilisation without some form of rigid structure to manipulate the world with.   And there are straightforward physical reasons why exoskeletons stop being practical beyond a certain size, and so only the endoskeletal lifeforms continue to larger sizes.  Symmetry leads to a natural preference for even number of limbs, and four is an obvious minimal number for ease of locomotion (six to provide for four on the ground and a pair for manipulating things would also seem reasonable, but coming through an evolutionary path like ours, there's no obvious way to get them at the point that the need for the manipulating limbs appears).  Having a movable top to hold visual and audio sensors is also an obvious evolutionary advantage.  So consideration of the underlying needs and physical limitations does seem to point to the development of a structure not unlike out vertebrates.
Most of those features are okay; they're almost required to "fill that niche".  I'm not sure about those handwaved "physical reasons".  Coconut crabs can reach six feet, which is probably sufficient size for an industrial civilization.  8-)  (You may be thinking of the limits of the trachea, perhaps?  With branchiostegal lungs, the coconut crab has transcended that limit.  If the vertebrates were to disappear, the coconut crab would be a good candidate for evolving into species that fill at least part of our niche.)

But usefulness does not a requirement make.  Movable top?  Useful, but not necessary.

Vertebrate features that are not required by the "industrial civilization" requirement include bones, teeth, hair (as mentioned), jaws, mouth breathing (no invertebrate with "lungs" breathe through their mouths), and necks (hey, if you develop from a species without vertebrae, you're not going to suddenly have a few vertebrae just because a movable head might be useful - see insects for one or two alternatives).  And that's just touching the head ...

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Well, if they want to get angry, it is their privilege.
You might want to be more careful with your choice of words.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

I'm just going to throw out the fact that Doctor Who isn't a hard science fiction show, has a limited budget that necessitates that most of their "aliens" be humans in costume, and is supposed to appeal to kids. Given those constraints, somebody came up with "Space Rhinos!" and ran with it.

I'll also throw out that Marigold is not a space rhino. Just in case anyone was wondering.  :-P

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

As far as we know :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I did not catch that, but it might be because English is not my native language. Sorry if it was used in a wrong context.

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

They couldn't even make a rhino with like, ten horns, or no ears, or a rhino elephant hybrid?

Nope. Just a rhino face.

Don't forget there were also the Hath (not sure of the spelling), which were basically people with fish-heads.

But then again, what would Doctor Who be without cheesy humanoid aliens in really cheap outfits. That's what made the older series so brilliant - they succeeded despite the low budget. Or rather, because of it.

Not a fan of the current script-writing, but Moffat's early monsters were fucking brilliant. Real mind-fuck monsters. The soulless gaze of the gas mask zombies and the weeping angels come to mind here. ("Blink is pretty much my favourite episode of all time").

(And I'm not even going to bother commenting on the other current topic of discussion here.  There are plenty of other forums on the internets to discuss boobs if you really feel the need to.)
~She/Her/They/Them~

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

As for amazing racks: Of the main characters, only Faye and Marigold qualifies (and Marigold wins). How does this influence past/present/potential partners? Are they attracted to big boobs, or is this of secondary importance?

A bit in line with Gareth's post:
:roll: I'm just wondering very much why we should have a discussion on how profoundly or not the female characters' boob size have influenced the relationships they're in at all (and based on today's strip in particular). Are we next going to discuss how Marten's romantic life or lack of a relationship is influenced by his dick size?!

RE: past comics
These prove for me what I thought about the new comic format: It's liable to have less content per comic. The characters are now often drawn way more close-up (bigger) than before and the font has doubled in size, so Jeph has more or less halved the content by making the single panels larger. Which is or course fine if Jeph likes it better, but I still hope that comics like during the party with more panels with smaller people in them will be more common than these two or three-panel comics with large close-ups and hardly any dialogue. Just my personal opinion.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I agree with Mlle Germain on all accounts.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I did not catch that, but it might be because English is not my native language. Sorry if it was used in a wrong context.
Oh no, it's perfectly correct, if slightly archaic, English. It is, however, bad American; where "privilege" is stigmatised you naturally get push-back when you tell people they have it. Modern usage would suggest "it is their right" instead.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Nothing wrong with your word use - it is correct in this context. However, it also has a specific meaning when talking about oppression of minorities or systematic favouring of a particular group (people talk about "white privilege" or "male privilege" etc and it's a shorthand for the advantages that come with being part of those groups). I don't think that should mean it can't be used in its more general sense of a right you are glad to be in possession of. An alternative word that doesn't have the same nuance of meaning on the internet is "prerogative", with almost an identical meaning.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up