THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 12:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And our Moment of the Week?

Better than the maid outfit, but still not "pants".
- 0 (0%)
She just got out of robot jail, and that's the best he can say?
- 2 (4.4%)
You just SHOWED UP! And I'm KIND OF in the middle of something!
- 0 (0%)
Managed to seal the deal, huh? Nice. Fist bump. I got fists now. Bump 'em.
- 3 (6.7%)
Got a real physical body and everything! So, can I crash here?
- 0 (0%)
L-look, they got a halfway house, but it's like a ####in' broom closet.
- 0 (0%)
Find a job, not break any rules, see probation officer... Just gimme a chance. Please.
- 0 (0%)
You pay rent. You help clean. And if you do or say ANYTHING to hurt Marigold -
- 3 (6.7%)
Creating Nice_List.txt. Entering "Marigold." Saving and closing.
- 8 (17.8%)
Y-you can't let here stay HERE! (Stomp Stomp Stomp SLAM)
- 0 (0%)
Dammit May... I'll talk to her, I'll talk to her.
- 0 (0%)
IF YOU MAKE THIS ANY WORSE -
- 0 (0%)
NICE LIST DOT TEE EX TEE, ASSPLOW
- 12 (26.7%)
Look, if you're worried I'm gonna steal Dale from you, I promise that ain't gonna happen. Ugh.
- 0 (0%)
Why should I trust you?
- 0 (0%)
I'm the one who got him to talk to you that night you were freakin' out on him at your place.
- 0 (0%)
If it wasn't for me, you two would still be pretend-hating each other.
- 0 (0%)
I AM THE REASON YOU TWO ARE CURRENTLY BONING. (Okay! Okay!)
- 17 (37.8%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2711-2715 (26 - 30 May 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 56922 times)

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Regarding robot/human relations, the chassis Momo rejected at Idoru was a highly anime-style girl in a school uniform.

It was a "knock off" of one of the main characters from Lucky Star.

More specifically a hardcore otaku character (social otaku but still hardcore), something that Marigold would love.

Ben

• Larger than most fish

Sarcastic, watashi-sama? Surely not!

Actually, I'll tell you a story. When I first started working in former Soviet countries I met a lot if people who not only couldn't speak English, but couldn't read the Roman alphabet either. You'd think "Ben" was a simple enough name but if you know Cyrillic, its possible to misread it as being approximately "Venya" or even "Vanya". Since Vanya is quite a common nickname in Russian speaking countries I just decided that if someone thinks that's my name, I go with that. It doesn't matter, we both know what is meant. It isn't so common now but I still encounter it occasionally.

It's quite easy to read Russian names if yiu know the alphabet, because there's usually only one pronunciation for any given spelling and the spelling is pretty much phonetic. English, not so much.

Japanese, Korean or Chinese names, different game. I don't have the first inkling of how to read any of the scripts and can't functionally distinguish between any of the spoken or written languages. However its easy to give offence by mistaking names and honourifics, so I rely entirely on interpreters and make no attempt to speak any Japanese etc. Pretty much all expats do the same, because it works. Most Japanese who do speak English will ensure that you have some recognisable version of their name that yiu can consistently use without giving offence, because they have so introduced themselves.

So yes, I do live and work in an environment in which variations of words which are approximately similar are taken as functionally synonymous. So it goes, it's just a convention like a lot if other conventions.

So, Sam behaves pretty much as kids that age do, rushing around after the enthusiasms of the moment.

By the by, I notice from another link that Momo has her USB port in her right ear, not the back of her neck. She seems to have a pretty full suite of stereotypes ... she lampshades the "sweat-drop" convention with a throw-away gag about "how difficult it is to clean afterwards", shows herself a kendo or maybe butsu expert against the squirrel and produces high-pressure steam when reading the Victorian content in the library.

So, AnthroPCs can do whatever is required for the purpose of the exercise..

Truec

• Furry furrier

On rereading, it occurs to me that May is actually wrong.  She's the reason Dale and Marigold aren't currently boning.  Maybe.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

And our Moment of the Week?

She just got out of robot jail, and that's the best he can say?    2 (5.1%)
Managed to seal the deal, huh? Nice. Fist bump. I got fists now. Bump 'em.    2 (5.1%)
You pay rent. You help clean. And if you do or say ANYTHING to hurt Marigold -     3 (7.7%)
Creating Nice_List.txt. Entering "Marigold." Saving and closing.    7 (17.9%)
NICE LIST DOT TEE EX TEE, ASSPLOW    11 (28.2%)
I AM THE REASON YOU TWO ARE CURRENTLY BONING. (Okay! Okay!)    14 (35.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

danuis

• Plantmonster

Did I ever mention I always had a soft spot for May? Because I, like, do.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I find it odd that people think Momo looks twelve. I think she looks like a young-looking late teenager, so I could easily see her passing as a uni student.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ben

• Larger than most fish

She is smaller than any of the other characters, she seems to be about the same height as Tai and very slightly built - when she has some clothes from Hanners, they hang on her like a sack. The pink hair and juvenile style don't help. I suppose it's a matter of opinion but I certainly can't see her as a University student

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

You mention that she's about the same height as Tai, who is probably about 22. She works at a college library, I wouldn't be surprised if students assumed she was a freshman.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I am frequently told I look young and I've been a university student for five years. In my first year it's believable that people might think I was twelve - when I was 20 I went underwear shopping with my mum and the bra-measuring woman said my mum would have to be in the changing room with us as a chaperone because I was under 16.

Basically my point is that you cannot tell how old someone is by looking at them and it's kind of rude to say that grown women can't be small or look young because many of us do.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Ben

• Larger than most fish

You mention that she's about the same height as Tai, who is probably about 22. She works at a college library, I wouldn't be surprised if students assumed she was a freshman.

Tai is drawn as quite full-figured, whereas Momo appears to have almost no figure at all. She could probably get into one leg of Faye or Marigolds' jeans. But context is important and if she was working in a college library people would go by that.

American and British perceptions differ, anyway.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Sam assumed that Momo was roughly the same age as her when they first met. So I've always gone with the idea that she looks like a young teenager. Beyond that I haven't speculated much.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I am frequently told I look young and I've been a university student for five years. In my first year it's believable that people might think I was twelve - when I was 20 I went underwear shopping with my mum and the bra-measuring woman said my mum would have to be in the changing room with us as a chaperone because I was under 16.

Basically my point is that you cannot tell how old someone is by looking at them and it's kind of rude to say that grown women can't be small or look young because many of us do.

I know this wasn't targeted at me specifically. My issue wasn't someone who looks pretty young, because such people exist. My issue was with someone being able to get their hands on an AnthroPC chassis that is specifically designed to look underage.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Did I ever mention I always had a soft spot for May? Because I, like, do.

This is only your sixth post, so in fairness you've not really mentioned much of anything ;)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

@Gareth - Right, but I don't think that was the case with Momo.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I don't know the comic well enough to debate that point.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

They never really address it, so neither of us are more right than the other.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I DON'T AGREE TO THAT

(I am having trouble sleeping)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

(I am having trouble sleeping)
So why aren't you talking on Facebook? :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Because that requires changing between Facebook messenger and Chrome when I'm sat on my ass in bed.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Isn't that just a matter of switching tabs?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ben

• Larger than most fish

On the basis that characters like Padma and Tai have obviously non-Caucasian skin colours, I'd assumed that if Momo has Japanese style features, it would be apparent. My interpretation is that she has anime-style features (large eyes, small snub nose and small chin) and pretty much Caucasian skin colour, like those "actroid" robots.

Her small size and minimal figure is just due to the same chassis being used for more Asian looking figures in other markets. We know Momo has detachable skin because it has been mentioned, so a similar chassis could be any colour required, or even patterned.

The other AnthroAIs at Idoru look more obviously European. Their obvious articulation suggests they have fixed single-hue coloration moulded into their exoskeleton and probably look like animated mannequins. Coloration probably varies by regional distribution so they look unremarkable at first glance, so they are European-looking in New England and probably more Hispanic looking in an area where that's common. Economy models are probably a generic colour sufficiently different to make it obvious you haven't paid the extra $500 or whatever, which is why the Robot Sales Woman and May are blue-grey.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up