THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh GRUD no!  (Read 3771 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
Re: Oh GRUD no!
« Reply #1 on: 07 Apr 2014, 21:54 »

wut.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #2 on: 07 Apr 2014, 22:06 »

As the kids used to say:  ROFLMAO

I like a good demonstration of mental gymnastics.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3 on: 08 Apr 2014, 01:42 »

A Holocaust-denier as well.  Proof that there are still fools in the world, I guess.

Quote from: That article
About one in four Americans believe in geocentrism, which places the Earth at the center of the universe and the sun, planets, and stars revolving around it.

Can that really be true?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #4 on: 08 Apr 2014, 03:09 »

i want to believe that that is a result from a poorly conducted or mis-interpreted survey.

or maybe i just need to believe that

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #5 on: 08 Apr 2014, 03:38 »

About one in four Americans believe in geocentrism, which places the Earth at the center of the universe and the sun, planets, and stars revolving around it.
Can that really be true?
I doubt it. The survey question was likely biased, or just worded oddly. Maybe I'm optimistic, maybe I'm overestimating Americans, but 25% is ridiculous.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #6 on: 08 Apr 2014, 04:30 »

The survey in question is the National Science Board’s Science and Engineering Indicators 2014, and it's also reported on here, so you can poke around and judge for yourself.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #7 on: 08 Apr 2014, 05:12 »

If someone said to me "Quick! Which is larger, an electron or an atom?" I'd easily have a 1 in 4 chance of giving the wrong answer out of confusion. Equally, the same with "Does the sun go round the earth?". It's more worrying when people know what science says but persist in disbelieving it because it's incompatible with what they want to be true (what my dad calls belief-based facts; he kept going on about it when Redball visited, sorry about that Bob...).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #8 on: 08 Apr 2014, 13:30 »

You can get at least 10% of people to agree with just about any survey question, no matter how ridiculous. I seem to remember a survey a couple years ago where people gave a higher approval rating to herpes than to the U.S. Congress. For every 10 people they asked, one basically said "sure, herpes sounds like a good idea"...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 08 Apr 2014, 16:53 »

Does it mean I'm a cynic on the mentality of most Americans that I was more shocked by the fact that Kate Mulgrew, of all people,  lent her name to this?

I mean, come on!!!  A paycheck's a paycheck, but some paychecks aren't worth the Latinum.
James The Kugai 

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #10 on: 08 Apr 2014, 18:19 »

Can that really be true?
I doubt it. The survey question was likely biased, or just worded oddly. Maybe I'm optimistic, maybe I'm overestimating Americans, but 25% is ridiculous.

It's roughly on par with the percentage of Americans who think 9/11 was an inside job.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 08 Apr 2014, 20:09 »

Finally, a rebutle from Ms Mulgrew herself

Kate Mulgrew has said she was misled about the entire dumbass Documentary... She sold her voice.... Not her belief... I for one am going to take her word for it..."I understand there has been some controversy about my participation in a documentary called THE PRINCIPLE. Let me assure everyone that I completely agree with the eminent physicist Lawrence Krauss, who was himself misrepresented in the film, and who has written a succinct rebuttal in SLATE. I am not a geocentrist, nor am I in any way a proponent of geocentrism. More importantly, I do not subscribe to anything Robert Sungenis has written regarding science and history and, had I known of his involvement, would most certainly have avoided this documentary. I was a voice for hire, and a misinformed one, at that. I apologize for any confusion that my voice on this trailer may have caused. Kate Mulgrew"

Thank Valen!  I was beginning to think Janeway had slipped a few gears here.
James The Kugai 

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #12 on: 09 Apr 2014, 15:03 »

I'd take that survery finding with a large pinch of salt unless you believe it's likely that 25% of surveyed US citizens and 34% of surveyed Europeans really believe that the sun goes around the earth rather than just being confused.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
Pages: [1]   Go Up