THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 02:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Heroism as defined by members of the QC Cast:

Marten RIPPING OFF HIS SHIRT to try to save Emily!
Faye actually giving a customer a COMPLIMENT!
Dora ditching the Leather Pants!
Sven not trying to pick up a woman!
Steve NOT EATING CEREAL!
Pintsize tossing bricks at someone attacking his friends!
Pizza Girl getting your Pepperoni with extra cheese to you in less than 30 minutes!
Hannelore performing first aid while SOBER!
May refusing to backhand some racist idiot into the middle of next week!
A poll without a QC meme!
Something Else!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2731-2735 (23-27 June 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 38904 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

imagine your entire life as narrated Alan Rickman.
Improved your post.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Is that really affection though? You're warm and it seems you haven't tried to eat them yet, so they don't bite you. It kinda reminds me of falconry. It's not so much that your raptor likes you as it's handler. You're just a stable source of food and shelter and even that's a bit above a snake's intellectual level.

Well, cats and dogs show affection because you feed them and don't beat them and provide them with shelter.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

True, but dogs and cats are slightly more affectionate and intelligent than the average snake. Affection is a little complex an emotion for say, a snake. A dog will nuzzle you happily to be close to you. A snake will curl up with you because you're warm and they're chilly.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Marten's been decisive before, usually when a friend was in danger.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

And when he was deciding whether to get lunch before or after getting a haircut. Or when deciding to go to the store to buy soup.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

True, but dogs and cats are slightly more affectionate and intelligent than the average snake. Affection is a little complex an emotion for say, a snake. A dog will nuzzle you happily to be close to you. A snake will curl up with you because you're warm and they're chilly.

I've seen way too many dogs getting happy for all reasons imaginable... So I stopped taking their happiness all too seriously when I compare "affection levels" between pets.

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world

So the real question is, who are they going to run into while hiking now that Marten has no shirt??

No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

So the real question is, who are they going to run into while hiking now that Marten has no shirt??

Steve.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

May as a Convenience Store Clerk means...

Full-on Clerks-like snark.    20 (41.7%)
Employment measured in seconds, not hours.    1 (2.1%)
Fits in perfectly.    7 (14.6%)
Poor Impulse Control kicks in again.    3 (6.3%)
Don't mess up the hair!    0 (0%)
She does something heroic, and becomes an admired member of society.    0 (0%)
She befriends Pintsize. Thus ends the age of Man.    13 (27.1%)
Frog Smoothies.    4 (8.3%)
Something else.    0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 48
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Considering Marten now has no shirt, is with Emily, and Tai has shipped Marten and Emily in the past, I'm going to guess Tai.

Then again, he's also with Sam, so that guess is likely full of shit.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

imagine your entire life as narrated Alan Rickman.
Improved your post.

My god, it would be incredible. Just for that, I'm doing my next radio show entirely in his voice  :mrgreen:
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

What is appropriate first aid for poisonous snake bites?

"If someone is bitten by a poisonous snake, the bitten area should be immobilized and the victim transported to a hospital as quickly as possible. The bitten area should be washed with soap and water. A wide constriction bandage (tourniquet) may be applied two to four inches upstream of the bitten area (if on an extremity) so long as the pressure is not too tight (one or two fingers should be able to slide under the band). Overly tight tourniquets should never be used as these can block arterial blood flow to the affected area and worsen tissue damage."

Found this here - I imagine there are differences in opinion about this, but there ya go.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

What is appropriate first aid for poisonous snake bites?

"If someone is bitten by a poisonous snake, the bitten area should be immobilized and the victim transported to a hospital as quickly as possible. The bitten area should be washed with soap and water. A wide constriction bandage (tourniquet) may be applied two to four inches upstream of the bitten area (if on an extremity) so long as the pressure is not too tight (one or two fingers should be able to slide under the band). Overly tight tourniquets should never be used as these can block arterial blood flow to the affected area and worsen tissue damage."

Found this here - I imagine there are differences in opinion about this, but there ya go.

Around here they tell people to not use tourniquet. It makes sense since non-trained people have a good chance to cause more damage than help this way.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken

Boy Scout learnin' was to immobilize the bitten limb as well. First aid training was changing all the time, but if I remember correctly the currently they're taught to avoid using tourniquets at all.

Squiddlywinx

• Emoticontraindication

Unnecessary facepalm for really mild and not all that inappropriate teasing.
Bro.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

This is M. T. Reed we are talking about here.
But it could have been much worse. It could have been the TEH shirt.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

SuctionCup Caper Two

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • SUCTION CUPS UNITE

Unnecessary facepalm for really mild and not all that inappropriate teasing.
Bro.

Ironic?   Or maybe a "this is silly" facepalm?    There are many shades of face-palm-ery... the Epic Picard Double Face-Palm being the apex of "really? what the FUCK?!"-ness.
MMM SUCTION CUPS

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Yes, I'd interpreted it as an "I'm kinda embarrassed" facepalm.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Oh Emily...
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

So is Emily teasing Marten as a way of teasing Sam, or teasing Sam as a way of teasing Marten, or is she too oblivious to be doing either deliberately?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Mosquitoes. Who will be quite hungry - and carrying West Nile virus.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

This is M. T. Reed we are talking about here.
But it could have been much worse. It could have been the TEH shirt.
T.??  Is that canon?

Tiberius?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I can't tell if Emily is making a move or really just messing with Sam to the best of her ability
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi

I imagine Jeph evilly twisting a fake mustache as most of the readers experience this same feeling.

I can't tell if Emily is making a move or really just messing with Sam to the best of her ability
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I'm pretty sure Emily is winding Sam up. Emily totally 'blivved out* when Tai suggested she sleep with Marten.

*I just invented that term, I think, but I hereby place it in the public domain.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

I'm pretty sure Emily is winding Sam up.
I'm all for the theory she is just speaking her mind, not really noticing whats going on. AGAIN.
Carpe Diem

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I have a feeling that Emily is essentially asexual, but that's not canon so who knows? Certainly I don't think there's the faintest possibility of her and Marten getting together.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

I can see it.

... I'd worry about what Marten'd been drinking, but I can see it.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

I have a feeling that Emily is essentially asexual, but that's not canon so who knows? Certainly I don't think there's the faintest possibility of her and Marten getting together.
IMHO there is always a possibility (albeit a very small one) until either she or Marten is hooked up with someone else.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Boy Scout learnin' was to immobilize the bitten limb as well. First aid training was changing all the time, but if I remember correctly the currently they're taught to avoid using tourniquets at all.
When I was last taught about snake bites in Australia, we were told to immobilize the limb by wrapping a bandage around the entire limb (of course this means you have to have a bandage at hand - I think the message was that you ideally should have one when you hike around where you're likely to meet snakes) tightly enough so that the limb can't move much and the poison doesn't spread, but not too tight to stop the blood flow. Also, with Australian snakes it is apparently sufficient to just wear long trousers made out of a reasonably strong fabric, since their fangs are too short to get through those (in contrast to most Asian, European or American snakes!).

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

Full limb compression is the way to go for snake bites, yeah.

And sure, the snakes here have relatively short fangs, but you try wearing long trousers in an Australian summer :P
~She/Her/They/Them~

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish

Given the "Emily enjoys messing with Sam" note, I'd say the latter, but she's doing so by speaking her mind. She might well be oblivious to whatever effect these observations might have on Marten.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2014, 06:18 by Rimwolf »

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

And sure, the snakes here have relatively short fangs, but you try wearing long trousers in an Australian summer :P
Been there, do that. The bosses get mildly annoyed, since my job involves physical labour in the outside heat. But snakes are uncommon in the city areas, so there is that.

So is Emily teasing Marten as a way of teasing Sam, or teasing Sam as a way of teasing Marten, or is she too oblivious to be doing either deliberately?
Yes.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Quote from: Jeph, right below the comic
Emily enjoys messing with Sam.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

But snakes are uncommon in the city areas, so there is that.
I do harvest work out on the grain silos every year - we have to wear long trousers, boots, helmets, and deal with the reflected heat of bigass metal silos and concrete. There are many many snakes around there. And many a snake has met its end under a heavy boot on that site.
~She/Her/They/Them~

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Well, she certainly is weird and clueless, but not exactly asexual. But I would guess that Marten finds her just too weird.

EDIT: Found it, Emily has had a boyfriend before.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

You can have had a boyfriend and still be asexual. I'm not saying it's certain, I'm just positing that it isn't unrealistic and would fit with her character. This is the first instance of her ever expressing anything approaching an interest in someone, and she is clearly messing with Sam by doing so.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I'm pretty sure Emily is winding Sam up. Emily totally 'blivved out* when Tai suggested she sleep with Marten.

*I just invented that term, I think, but I hereby place it in the public domain.

I will use it. Thank you.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

You can have had a boyfriend and still be asexual. I'm not saying it's certain, I'm just positing that it isn't unrealistic and would fit with her character. This is the first instance of her ever expressing anything approaching an interest in someone, and she is clearly messing with Sam by doing so.

For those that don't know it, Girls With Slingshots (occasionally) visits the issues that come up (or don't :P ) between one character and her asexual girlfriend.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

For a snake bite, I tend to go for a hoppy lager and some English strong cider.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Lady_Lynx

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Being tall is a privilege only given to the tall

I've debated making an account on this forum for a long time, but I decided today would be the day because a) Emily is my favorite character, 2) I want Marten to find someone SO BAD, and d) I could definitely ship them. In fact, I do a little bit already.

And also, while it's true that Emily may be a bit naive when it comes to frickle-fracking, that doesn't mean she don't want some, knowmsayin'? She knows a cute butt when she sees one.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I was thinking of GWS when I made that post :)

Hello, new person! Emily is one of my favourites too. Be wary of shipping though, the rules are pretty strict against it here (the line between speculation based on the comic and shipping is tricky to locate so err on the side of caution).

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

First of all: Welcome to the forums.

Keep in mind however that explicit shipping of characters is frowned upon here. Slight hinting in that direction is sometimes tolerated if the coupling seems likely to happen in universe, so speculation about what might develop (if it isn't explicit) from current comics isn't a problem most of the time.

Now: enjoy your stay in this crazy place.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Lady_Lynx

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Being tall is a privilege only given to the tall

I was thinking of GWS when I made that post :)

Hello, new person! Emily is one of my favourites too. Be wary of shipping though, the rules are pretty strict against it here (the line between speculation based on the comic and shipping is tricky to locate so err on the side of caution).

First of all: Welcome to the forums.

Keep in mind however that explicit shipping of characters is frowned upon here. Slight hinting in that direction is sometimes tolerated if the coupling seems likely to happen in universe, so speculation about what might develop (if it isn't explicit) from current comics isn't a problem most of the time.

Now: enjoy your stay in this crazy place.

Umbersdoob.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Umbersdoob.
That's a +1 to your QC cred right there.   8-)
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Also, feel free to post an introductory thread over in the "Hi, I'm New" subforum.

...and mind your lug wrench.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

I think Emily is messing with Sam - I don't think Emily is asexual, though. The fact that she thinks about butts being cute, has had at least one boyfriend, and talked with Marten and Claire about kissing seems an indicator that she has spent time thinking about sexual topics. I was under the impression Asexual meant you weren't interested in sexual activity, so that doesn't seem to fit. And yes, I suppose having a boyfriend and kissing don't necessarily mean sex is involved, but thinking about cute butts would likely lead to a sexual thought or two. Overall, Emily seems like she'd have more of a problem finding someone who doesn't mind her odd ways of thinking than not being interested in sex. Maybe Clinton?

Aside from all that, she makes me think of Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter in some ways.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

vforvancouver

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I'm a blood donor: I play rugby.

Either my eyesight is not what it used to be, or I may be dumber than yesterday (or both), but I can't read Marten's t-shirt.
—When I was a little girl...
—Wups. Did I heard you correctly?
—Who's telling the story?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Godspeed You Black Emperor, which is apparently a band. (Although the band has an exclamation mark after the "You" which is just silly but whatever)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up