(!)
(_?_)
(_E=MC^2_)
(_$_)
(_x_)
(_X_)
(__{   }__)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2736-2740 (30 June - 04 July 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 60352 times)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Speaking of the party, I really had hopes for bench girl back then.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Well, neither did she iirc.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

To your latter points, A: I wonder if Marten might also benefit from therapy (or just a good, swift kick in the ass).
He might just benefit from both.   I had a few sessions recently and to be honest it was about half "how does that make you feel?" and half swift kicks to the posterior (not literally of course).  I think they were helpful because I feel as though I've been more active in taking charge of my own happiness and the results are noticeable.
So I will create the kickass therapy. I kick your ass and ask how that makes you feel!

Anyway, Marten already tried to pick up girls not only from outside his circle but also outside his planet! I'm sure that no one here already did that (although some might believe that they did)

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Marten already has kickass therapy. Whenever he discuss girl problems with Steve, Steve will slap his head. But perhaps Steve should instead give him a real kick in the ass.

EDIT: Kickass therapy session.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Claire must have serious problems. We have seen her take Ativan. From the Wikipedia description, this is seriously nasty stuff which would not be prescribed unless she has real problems.
It's actually not that nasty.  Sure, it's potentially addictive, but it bypasses the liver, and doesn't have any serious physical side-effects.  The only reason I stopped taking it for my anxiety (I had been on it for almost four years) is because it has such a short half-life that I got switched to Clonazepam (klonopin in the US), which although a stronger drug, lasts much longer, and isn't so "bursty" when it comes to its effects.  I guess I'm saying that although Claire might have anxiety issues, she's not on anything particularly bad, since Lorazepam is one of the safer benzodiazapines out there.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Claire must have serious problems. We have seen her take Ativan. From the Wikipedia description, this is seriously nasty stuff which would not be prescribed unless she has real problems.
It's actually not that nasty.  Sure, it's potentially addictive, but it bypasses the liver, and doesn't have any serious physical side-effects.  The only reason I stopped taking it for my anxiety (I had been on it for almost four years) is because it has such a short half-life that I got switched to Clonazepam (klonopin in the US), which although a stronger drug, lasts much longer, and isn't so "bursty" when it comes to its effects.  I guess I'm saying that although Claire might have anxiety issues, she's not on anything particularly bad, since Lorazepam is one of the safer benzodiazapines out there.

According to Wikipedia it causes anterograde amnesia. Meaning that you lose the ability to form new memories. For a time, I hope.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

According to Wikipedia it causes anterograde amnesia. Meaning that you lose the ability to form new memories. For a time, I hope.

Rarely.  I've never had that side-effect, nor has anyone I have known.  Ambien, OTOH, has caused me to lose nights by sleep-walking.  I actually *have* read the PDR printout on the stuff, and the amnesia is extremely rare.  The most dangerous thing about Ativan, normally, is the potential for addiction/dependency if used regularly, over a long period of time, which is not to be ignored, but it's generally a "safe" drug if used only when needed.  It's great for if someone is having an acute anxiety attack, seizure, and also for patients going through alcohol withdrawl.  The anterograde amnesia would generally only happen with heavy use over a prolonged period, a problem which is exacerbated through its short half-life, compared to other drugs in the same family like Clonazepam and Diazepam (Klonopin/Valium for the US folks).   And it's 1000x safer than say, Xanax.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Tai's friend, the professor from Hampshire lights up a bowl too.
Considering it's Hampshire, her not lighting up would've stretched my willing suspension of disbelief.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

....l will be honest here. What is a Hampshire?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Huh. Interesting.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

zmeiat_joro

Though regardless I see it as less Claire has 'problems' and more that being transgender must come with a ton of justifiable stress.

This left me thinking what would unjustifiable stress be. How do you apply that adjective to that noun?
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Perhaps it would have been more accurate to say "understandable stress".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I think the more appropriate word, which is probably what was meant, would be "understandable".

Edit: Paul and I are a hive mind.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Understandably so. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Estron

• Emoticontraindication
  • Old-fart QC aficionado

The earliest I can recall is Dora's mother smoking.

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1041

Thanks.  I had completely forgotten about that.  Presented the same way, too, as just something someone does, incident to the conversation.  Jeph approaches many issues in a straightforward, common-sense way.  That's probably why QC is one of my favorite webcomics.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

PS: Regarding Tai's "Actually, why would it be unethical?" in the last panel, do we know whether Marten's an actual manager, or if it was an informal promotion? If he's a manager, then yeah, that raises some ethical red flags. Many companies and organizations frown on employees dating regardless of the legal status, especially if they occupy different points in the hierarchy, because they'd rather not have a case of sexual harassment on their hands, or any appearance of impropriety. Just throwing that out there.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

miados

• Obscure cultural reference

well he did technically sleep with an intern once (clair at the wedding) and well martin has something on the lady who gave him that raise....... eh I might feel different if it was real life, but well I imagine that momo could verify via her memory that things didn't happen a bad way, plus I think everyone would say that martin is a major push over so there is no real way he could successfully force anyone into a relationship.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

And, "sleep with" in the context of the legal issues in a business, and what happened with Claire (where it was literally sleeping), are two different things, really...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

^^
s/martin/Marten/g
Please try to get it right

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

well he did technically sleep with an intern once (clair at the wedding)

Um. What?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Sleep with, not sleep with.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I am aware of this, just baffled at the citation.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

miados

• Obscure cultural reference

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2482

this one seems at least a bit relevant for some reason.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Rarely.  I've never had that side-effect, nor has anyone I have known.

That you can recall!

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I feel like the whole don't-date-coworkers thing is much more common in the USA than in the UK. My impression is that most people meet their spouse through work here, and I know that half the teachers at my school were married to each other (sometimes the marriage preceded the colleague status but not always). Why is it a problem exactly?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Teacher-student is a no-no, though, and I guess an intern is in an ambiguous sort of position in that regard.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I feel like the whole don't-date-coworkers thing is much more common in the USA than in the UK. My impression is that most people meet their spouse through work here, and I know that half the teachers at my school were married to each other (sometimes the marriage preceded the colleague status but not always). Why is it a problem exactly?

Leaving aside (for a moment) the actual problem of sexual harassment, I think that the problem stems in large part from the fact that, as a society, the US is litigious as hell. Some companies don't want the liability exposure that kind of situation could expose them to.

And some people (I include myself here, at least back when I wasn't married/self-employed) tend to avoid romantically involved work relationships just because of the high potential for drama if things went south.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Teacher-student is a no-no, though, and I guess an intern is in an ambiguous sort of position in that regard.

I think the problem, or a potential for one, comes with the power dynamics. Marten obviously isn't the type to use his position like that, but let's face it, there's no shortage of people who would, and do.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Surely the solution to the problem of sexual harassment is to deal properly with instances of it, not to outright ban consensual and mutually-desired relationships? And the idea that someone would sue their company because of something in their relationship with a colleague is just bizarre to me.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I rarely even become friends with cow-orkers, much less date them.  Then again, I like to keep my personal life and my work life completely separate.  Even if I liked the person, I'd only really spend time with them out of work hours if they or I quit or got fired.  There is *one* occasion that I went out for drinks with a guy I worked with, and I only did so because I knew that even if we stopped enjoying each other's company, there would be no work drama.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Wow, can't even go one page without Marten being called Martin.

Even my autocorrect knows his name.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Surely the solution to the problem of sexual harassment is to deal properly with instances of it, not to outright ban consensual and mutually-desired relationships? And the idea that someone would sue their company because of something in their relationship with a colleague is just bizarre to me.

You're preaching to the choir. 'Til that day comes, more stupid people = more stupid laws to deal with the stupidity.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.

Eh, from my experience, and in my opinion, the US is a bureaucratic cesspool . Everyone is trying to cover their own ass and not worrying about other people. Exceptions are of course out there, but they are far from the norm.

Edit: Martin reminds me of a martini. Marten reminds me of a bird for some reason...
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

T

And this is how we spot an AI not used to human society.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Tai Ethics 101
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

tsk. Jeph should really feel sorry for missing Canada Day. (even if I'm actually viewing it still on Canada Day here. :) )

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I'm sorry about that.

T

Doesn't she looks like a meek Faye?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I rarely even become friends with cow-orkers, much less date them.
See, this is the other extreme, and just as ill advised, I think.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Doesn't she looks like a meek Faye?

I was kind of thinking genderswapped Angus.

Which can only mean she's Faye and Angus' daughter from the future.

A bleak, yet polite future where we lost the war and became part of canada.

SuctionCup Caper Two

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • SUCTION CUPS UNITE

Dating a coworker now.   We work in oppisite ends of the building,  and our job functions do not require us to interact.    If this comes apart in flames we can this company is big enough for the both of us.   Frankly I don't think it will flame out...  I've only had one bad breakup and that's because the chick was crazy.    Seriously,  she spent several months in the hospital because she flipped.    Very sad.  :(
MMM SUCTION CUPS

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Soary I gave you an extra loonie.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I've learned my lesson about trying to date coworkers.

After having spent ~2 years without steady employment, I don't allow myself to fall for them any more.

SuctionCup Caper Two

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • SUCTION CUPS UNITE

Dating a coworker now.   We work in opposite ends of the building,  and our job functions do not require us to interact.    If this comes apart in flames  this company is big enough for the both of us.   Frankly I don't think it will flame out...  I've only had one bad breakup and that's because the chick was crazy.    Seriously,  she spent several months in the hospital because she flipped.    Very sad.  :(

edit: i is become teh edjucated.
MMM SUCTION CUPS
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up