What's in store this week?

Faye is friendly to customers!
Sven is serene and sensible!
Marten is mean business!
Angus is eaten by an allosaur!
Purple Monkey Dishwasher is pink!
Sven is pregnant.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2741-2745 (07-11 July 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 77242 times)

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Some STDs don't show any symptoms in women, like gonorrhea is asymptomatic for most women.  (I registered just the post that)
Okay ... actually nifty strategy of the disease, to hide and wait ... but does any other STD have this as well ? AIDS obviously doesnt do it, neither does syphillis, at least not according to Wikipedia.
AIDS can do this, not only to women, it can happen in any gender. A person get it but only get symptoms much latter. In some rare cases the person doesn't get symptoms at all.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Okay, I wanted to answer a couple postings above but it seems to me I have to answer every second one, so its getting kind of tiring.

Just a few points:

- The breakup was Svens fault. Duh !

- Faye is in a happy relationship with Angus now.

- If Sven wants a girl with big boobs, there are many more women with big boobs around. He doesnt need Faye.

- Very likely Faye has no substantial feelings for Sven left. She feels bad about the breakup, sure, but thats no surprise, considering how it happened. Again, the breakup was Svens fault, not Fayes fault.

- Ultimately its not Fayes responsibility how Sven feels.

- Many people (in fact pretty much everybody) have no relationship for years. Heck, Marten had no relationship for quite some time now. Sven isnt more eglible to a relationship than everybody else, just because he apparently is very attractive.

[...] A person get it but only get symptoms much latter. [...]
Well, yeah. Thats a very common trick of transmitted diseases.

Still thats a different strategy from not having symptoms at all in one gender.
Carpe Diem

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Some STDs don't show any symptoms in women, like gonorrhea is asymptomatic for most women.  (I registered just the post that)
Okay ... actually nifty strategy of the disease, to hide and wait ... but does any other STD have this as well ? AIDS obviously doesnt do it, neither does syphillis, at least not according to Wikipedia.
AIDS can do this, not only to women, it can happen in any gender. A person get it but only get symptoms much latter. In some rare cases the person doesn't get symptoms at all.
Yeah, AIDS is a typical STD to not be noticed for a long time. Some weeks after infection, people usually get symptons very similar to flu (so most people think it's just flu), but after that, the virus just stays latently in the body for several years before doing anything again - very dangerous because so many people just do not notice the infection.
Similarly, lots of other STDs don't have symptoms for a long time or have symptoms that are not recognised by the affected: Chlamydia doesn't, Syphilis has symptoms right at the start, but these go away again and people forget about it, then the desease can again stay latent for several years.

(I did a talk on this in high school sex ed and I still kind of remember some facts.
But as a hypochondriac, I really shouldn't be thinking about this any longer, because although I take all possible care against STD infections and have had myself tested, my irrational brain will still try to analyse whether I have any of the symptoms...)

Edit for post in between:
Still thats a different strategy from not having symptoms at all in one gender.
Yeah, but the point here was that both Sven and Faye could have an STD without having noticed so far and both of these strategies apply. I still don't really think this is what Jeph wants to do for the next storyline, but that's a different issue.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.

Faye emphatically told Dora that they'd used protection. I don't think Jeph would retcon that. So I'd eliminate HIV from the STD Scare Menu of Horror. There are definitely other possible venereal diseases, but correctly-used condoms are basically 100% effective against the Big One. And when they fail, they fail noticeably.

Add in that even unprotected vaginal intercourse has something like a 1 in 1,000 probability of M>F transmission, and it just seems like to big a stretch.

Also, right after Faye and Sven hooked up (interestingly, that was the plot arc that was going on when I first started reading the comic in early summer 2008) Jeph kinda trolled us for speculating about a pregnancy scare. I have a feeling that might be what's happening here too.

And yet...the strip hasn't had a really heavy plot arc in awhile. So who knows.

anahata

• Never knowingly understood

I guess he wants to tell her he has changed, and ask for another chance if/when Faye breaks up with Angus.

I'm sure that's what Faye's thinking, hence her horror at Sven turning up at this ironic moment.
But maybe it's only been done for comical effect, and Svens "need to talk" issue will turn out to be unrelated (though I can't think what that could be).
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Schwungrad

Jeph was posting from FRONCE, as he put it in his tweets.
Ah, didn't read those. That explains everything.

Noxx

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Faye emphatically told Dora that they'd used protection. I don't think Jeph would retcon that. So I'd eliminate HIV from the STD Scare Menu of Horror.

Faye also drinks like a fish, and keeps plenty to herself. Wouldn't be the first time someone gilded the truth to avoid a haranguing. Of course there's also a universe of other fun diseases out there, hep, warts, etc. I'd agree that it doesn't seem like Jeph to have an STD arc, but artists always grow and change, it's part of the deal.

That's just blue skying though. Given Sven's infatuation I'd side with the idea that he's come around to make some sort of great mea culpa speech in pursuit of another chance.
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Yeah I think Sven is going to say that he still has serious feelings for Faye and that he wants to tell her and see if there's any hope of them getting back together. And then Faye will think about it, especially considering the situation with Angus, and potentially do something stupid. I can't decide what I think the eventual outcome would be though.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Barmymoo

• Mentat

But it doesn't - as I said in my post, it was still Sunday in France (and not Sunday night time; Sunday afternoon).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

There's nothing inconsistent, it seems to me.  He usually posts a comic at something like midnight, I guess, and he did that in France, but by local time, so it came up some hours earlier than normal.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.

Faye emphatically told Dora that they'd used protection. I don't think Jeph would retcon that. So I'd eliminate HIV from the STD Scare Menu of Horror.

Faye also drinks like a fish, and keeps plenty to herself. Wouldn't be the first time someone gilded the truth to avoid a haranguing.

True, but I think if Faye was gilding, we would have been given some sort of indication. Generally, when the main characters are being insincere or concealing something, it will be clear to us (dramatic irony, woo!) through facial expression or a stammering delivery of the line. This looks pretty emphatic:

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1126

That's why I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, but I do think it would constitute retconning.

I almost hope it's an STD arc, though. If the alternative is that he's going to make a pronouncement of love or simply an overture to get her back, I'd be disappointed. I feel like we've already seen that.

Schwungrad

But it doesn't - as I said in my post, it was still Sunday in France (and not Sunday night time; Sunday afternoon).
Well, not everything, but for one, it explains why you were talking about France :-P .

Sunday Afternoon? When exactly did he post the update? Because when I saw it, it was ca. 22:00 (10 p.m, for the 12-hour-people) here in Switzerland (and therefore also in France). That's not yet midnight, but definitely no longer afternoon either.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

He tweeted at 20:15 UTC. CEST is UTC+2, or 22:15.

And, posting somewhere around 22:00 local time is the norm for him lately. (Granted, usually US Eastern time (UTC-5 in winter, UTC-4 in summer), but hey.)

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

Could ... could it be ... Butts Disease?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I was misremembering; I checked what time the posts were from and it'd have been 10pm in France, so I guess he just got done a little earlier than usual (or was ahead and decided to post sooner).

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Yeah I think Sven is going to say that he still has serious feelings for Faye and that he wants to tell her and see if there's any hope of them getting back together. And then Faye will think about it, especially considering the situation with Angus, and potentially do something stupid. I can't decide what I think the eventual outcome would be though.

I tend to think this is a more plausible scenario than the STD angle. There's another possibility as well: perhaps Sven feels he's got his shit together sufficiently to wade back into the dating pool but wants to do it "right" this time, and may see Faye as a potential ally/sounding board/accountability buddy. It'd still come with certain potential issues attached, but it might feel safer to him than approaching his sister about it, for any number of reasons. It could also set off speculation and second thoughts on Faye's part (this is Faye, after all) without the two of them necessarily being involved.

Of course, that's just speculation on my part.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Could ... could it be ... Butts Disease?

For God's sake don't joke. Butts disease is no laughing matter.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication

We haven't seen Sven since 2194. During his last appearance, Sven told Dora that it had been "MONTHS since I hooked up with ANYBODY." It was partially because of what happened with him and Faye.

quix0te

• Emoticontraindication

"What Angus wants and what I want don't match up"
Wait.  The last I'd heard, Faye was kind of rudderless.  She has started making metal sculptures.  So other than leaving her friends behind, which happens to many people who try to pursue careers, where do they not align?
Also, unless sex with her is just MIND-BLOWING or Jeph wants to play the Twilight card ("I love you because you are irresistible"), Faye doesn't seem like The One That Got Away for anybody.

T

Sven needs a 3D scan of Faye's body. He got an AI girlfriend and he is ordering a custom body for her.
(click to show/hide)

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Wait.  The last I'd heard, Faye was kind of rudderless.  She has started making metal sculptures.  So other than leaving her friends behind, which happens to many people who try to pursue careers, where do they not align?
Yeah, this is kinda what I was talking about in my first post on page 1, too! Maybe we'll know in the coming strips? Or maybe not, because they will be focused on Sven.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Who was working on the QC timeline project? was that over on Wikia?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Faye has also become assistant manager at Coffee of Doom too. She's set down roots in town, and is uncomfortable with change. If Angus gets this job, he'll have to move to The City. Since it seems that Faye has no desire or intention to move, and Angus' career is requiring him to move then their future is looking pretty dim, really. Notwithstanding the 'we'll try things long distance'. Which in this case seems code for 'neither of us wants to give our our careers or break up, so we're going to lip-service to staying together even though we both know this will probably be the end.' I would say that pretty much classifies as Faye and Angus wanting different things.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I guess Faye wants to stay where she is and pootle along with life, while Angus wants to pursue his dreams and ambitions. I can see how that would be a potential mismatch - he could get frustrated with her and she could feel left behind or abandoned.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I don't believe Jeph will replay the Branwen/Davan situation from Something Positive. There has to be something else in the pipes.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Not shipping, just speculating: maybe Sven has a thing for Hanners? She's comfortable with him, and his dynamic with her has been different than we've seen him with any of the other women in his life. He'd have to tread lightly there and likely knows that. It could be that he wants to pick Faye's brain about it and not get the crap beat out of him by one or more people by just making a move.

Of course, A: I'm probably off by a mile, and B: tonight's strip will probably involve Dale/May, Dale/Marigold, or Steve eating cereal, just 'cause Jeph's good for building suspense like that.

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

Comic's up!

And no STDs in sight. Faye's reaction was definitely the one I expected to that statement from SVen.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Wuv! Twue wuv!  :roll:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Barmymoo

• Mentat

TOTALLY CALLED IT.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Faye has also become assistant manager at Coffee of Doom too. She's set down roots in town, and is uncomfortable with change. If Angus gets this job, he'll have to move to The City. Since it seems that Faye has no desire or intention to move, and Angus' career is requiring him to move then their future is looking pretty dim, really. Notwithstanding the 'we'll try things long distance'. Which in this case seems code for 'neither of us wants to give our our careers or break up, so we're going to lip-service to staying together even though we both know this will probably be the end.' I would say that pretty much classifies as Faye and Angus wanting different things.
Huh, yeah, if you put it like this it seems pretty obvious. I think you're right. Faye probably doesn't see any way that they will be able to live close to each other again if both of them follow on their chosen path. And long-distance is fine if you know it's for a limited time, but not good if there's no perspective for it to end.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I like the love confession much better than the STD storyline. I am glad it's going that way!

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Huh, yeah, if you put it like this it seems pretty obvious. I think you're right. Faye probably doesn't see any way that they will be able to live close to each other again if both of them follow on their chosen path. And long-distance is fine if you know it's for a limited time, but not good if there's no perspective for it to end.

One of them (Angus) has a chosen path. Faye, like Marten, has something more akin to a pothole. A pothole in which she's comfortable, but a pothole nonetheless.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

TOTALLY CALLED IT.
Yes. But is it cool to confess his love to someone who is in a relationship? Instead, he could have said something like:
I wish things had been different. I want you to know that I regret deeply what happened. I miss you very much.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Sorry, this is the first thing that popped into my brain...
Not a valid youtube URL
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Not particularly being driven in a direction doesn't mean she wants to be pulled in just any direction, though. Like, if I went out for dinner I might not know what I want, but I wouldn't want to be given just anything off the menu.

I have to say that I have a bad feeling for Faye and Angus. (Has this been discussed much in last week's thread? I didn't read it as thoroughly as most other weeks.)
What do you think Faye means by "What Angus wants and what I want don't match up"? If it's not the long-distance thing, I really can't see what exactly she's talking about. Just that Angus wants to get a different job?

Faye wants thing to stay the same.
Yeah sure, but with her reaction, I was thinking that there must be something else. I wouldn't question a well-working relationship that way (and withhold my fears from my partner) because of such a change - but then, I am of course not Faye and maybe the Angus-Faye relationship is not as well-working anyways? Maybe Faye and Angus aren't that close after all? We don't see that much of any close, emotional interaction between them in-comic.
Or maybe I am reading way more into Faye's reaction than there is. I just hope that she gets through this episode in the way that will ultimately make her the happiest (be it by sticking with Angus and learning to cope with the change in their relationship or by deciding that she does not want to stay in that relationship any longer - right now, I am really not sure which one it will be).

Well, they sort of discussed it before. Not just 'I want things to be the same' on Faye's front, but Angus has (some implied some canon) goals and dreams of living in the city, fancy work, busyrushrush city life, as opposed to Faye, who just wants to be comfortable, isn't ambitious (she has more 'purpose' than Marten, but she's not going for famous/rich/etc) working with/around her friends, and could pursue her art without uprooting that whole thing, if that is her dream.

Those incompatibilities aren't great for the long term, moving in together eventually, or even just for getting along, especially once they get logn distance and as individuals are living in the type of life they planned, but not together. That makes for different experiences, which of course are good, but on the other hand can also mean that as individuals they may develop even farther apart from each other.

...or the distance could make them love and appreciate each other more and a reasonable middle will be found. I'm not saying it will or has to turn stale, just that there's plenty of reasoning for Faye to think that.

- Very likely Faye has no substantial feelings for Sven left. She feels bad about the breakup, sure, but thats no surprise, considering how it happened. Again, the breakup was Svens fault, not Fayes fault.

- Ultimately its not Fayes responsibility how Sven feels.
On these particular points-
- I don't know. Sven was a good friend/counsellor to her before/during the period they were banging. They weren't extremely close for long, but he gave her a place to crash when she fought with the others, talked to her about Dora and Marten, and was generally a friend. As well as that, it's implied later that they were together off screen sometimes (mentioned in the scene about flipping couch cushions), so there's even more time they could have been getting close with each other. They always were friends with benefits, not just banging. If he hadn't banged the other girl, he probably would still be close with Faye and a main part of the cast even if they stopped banging. (I can't remember what words are good on this forum, so 'banging' it is). Even if they're not romantic ways, she did/does? at least like him. It might not mean anything anymore, you could be totally right, I just wanted to point out that there is a basis for her.

- Yes. I hope Faye realizes that tomorrowcomic.

Personally, I always liked the idea of Faye/Sven at least having gone a bit longer (maybe just because of the exposition it would have provided for both of them, since we don't usually see Sven and it's a different situation than Faye was used to), so I'd be happy with this going somewhere.

I think it's more likely that Faye's going to turn Sven down (that detail's pretty much 100% sure, to me), eventually but not immediately end up breaking up with Angus nonetheless, and probably not end up with Sven. But if she does, it will be a while from now, not a sudden switcheroo from Angus.

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

You know, she's taking it better than expected.  :mrgreen:

Edit:
Sorry, this is the first thing that popped into my brain...
Not a valid youtube URL

And now it's stuck in mine. THANKS.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2014, 14:27 by Somnus Eternus »

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

D'aww, Sven! Oh noes, Faye and Angus! I'm so conflicted about this!!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

You know, she's taking it better than expected.  :mrgreen:

So far...
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

greywolfe

And the award for the most unlikely love rhombus goes to....

greywolfe

Surely the (ill)fated Faye/Marty hookup would happen before another Sven 'put on some pants' episode...

anahata

• Never knowingly understood

TOTALLY CALLED IT.

Yup, and I was wrong to think that was too obvious.
Lots of dramatic tension between the three of them now. Whatever happens is going to hurt someone or at least make them very uncomfortable.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

God damnit Sven

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Sven, what are you doing. Sven. Stahp!  :psyduck:
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Aaaaaargh!
(was my real-life reaction).
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

crazdgamer

• Not quite a lurker

The next comic is going to be Faye getting super pissed and Sven going all "LOL JK this is really what I'm here to talk to you about..."

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Then she punches him.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

The next comic is going to be Faye getting super pissed and Sven going all "LOL JK this is really what I'm here to talk to you about..."
At first I wondered whether you meant pissed as in "angry", or in the UK-slang sense of "drunk". Given that this is Faye, it'll probably be both.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

greywolfe

Sven, what are you doing. Sven. Stahp!  :psyduck:

No relationship is 'safe' in QC.

speedchuck

• Not quite a lurker
  • Unlimited Potential

Sven is my favorite character. I am so glad to see him back. I'm also bothered by possible Fangus problems. I'm conflicted.

DrBear

• Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

Remember when we had a lot of speculation that Fangus moving to New York was a way to take Fay out of QC?

Instead of being put on the bus, she's being put on the looooooooooooooove bus.

(Seriously, the question is whether Faye wants to be more than Angus's "boyfling" and if she does, does she have to go to NY to firm it up? I don't see settling for a "love the one you're with," especially if it's Sven.)
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up