THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 04:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently  (Read 339910 times)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently
« Reply #1000 on: 21 Jan 2018, 16:55 »

I've heard it's better than the last one, and the single player story mode is alright. I guess ask yourself how much fun you'll have playing the same few maps again and again, that's what it usually boils down to for me

Jeemy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1001 on: 26 Jan 2018, 05:06 »

Should I get the new Star Wars Battlefront II game?  I know people are pretty divided, mostly from EA's handling of it, but is it a fun/good game to get?  Or should I not waste my money?

I played about 30 seconds of BF1 on PS4. Got the Battlefront for PSP as well after reading rave reviews, but never made it past the first few minutes. I read a load of backlash about GF2 about pay-to-play content which they seem to have revised the goalposts for; but as with everything, if you like that kind of thing, its more of the same, but if you are divided there are lots of better things about for PS4/XBone right now which you should maybe consider.

Currently, I've just replayed all the Bioshocks in the Collection on PS4; almost done with BAS2. I loved Burial at Sea first time round, platinumed Infinite on the crazy hard mode, and just played through for enjoyment this time although I am lured by the prospect of improved gameplay if I redo BS1&2 on the crazy hard modes. Also a bit intrigued by the fact I forgot a lot of the plasmids I couldn't afford when I played it 10 years ago or so, and used a new set this time, and could probably get a few more playthroughs with completely different skills and abilities.

I bought a PS move controller years back as it was on a super-cheap deal and its been in the garage awaiting my kids to grow up; but after receiving GT6 for Christmas I found out there is a PS-move driving wheel which I picked up for £7.

Not got it set up yet (had one quck race and button config session and it seems like it could be workable) but I *adored* playing GT5 on the big Logitech wheel, pedals and seat kit, all of which I still have in the garage but no hope or space to have it set up again. I am hoping GT6 on the move wheel will be good fun - I can't go back to a DS. I also have GT Sport but will only start that if I have a wheel setup.

Still slogging through the Witcher 3 which has never really grabbed me but as the combat is button-based, I can stream it on the Vita from the PS4 which means I can chip away at it in spare minutes.

I tend to play games to about 50% then shelve them and restart them a few months later. Horizon is platinumbed, Dishonored 2 about 30-50% through, ditto with P5, AC: Black Flag, Fallout 4, FF12, Shadow of Mordor, Killzone 3, Thief, ME2, New Vegas, RDR on 2nd playthrough, the GTA4 expansions, LA Noire, Watch Dogs, MGSV, Bully, Luma, Skyrim, Castlevania.

Completed recently but may go back to for trophies: UC4, FFXV, FC3 & 4, a whole bunch maybe 30-5 games I will likely never go back to.

I would really like to get back through GTAV on PS4 but the stock market seems to be broken and if I can't play through the campaign with decent funds, I won't bother again.

I have about 10 games on the shelf not touched yet: AC:Unity/Origins, Killzone 4, the Telltale Batman, GoT, GTSport, a few others I can't recall.

And I recently got Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, which I haven't got into yet, and am a bit loath to do so now I've found out they leave a lot of cliffhangers and the final part might never get made. Very pissed off about The Order also being done like that.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1002 on: 26 Jan 2018, 15:20 »

Been playing some more Invisible Inc. Took me a while to get back into it but I'm pulling off daring heists left and right again. The game is outstanding at putting you in situations that are always on the brink of spiraling totally out of control, and riding that crest of chaos is the best way to clear the place out and escape with the maximum number of goodies. Hitting the teleporter exit button with your full team in place just as the cavalry busts down the door behind you and starts shooting is exhilirating, and happens frequently. The only thing better than that is pulling off a last-second escape with every member of your team except the one who couldn't make it in time, who then has to play the cat-and-mouse game with every guard in the facility on red alert while the teleporter recharges. The fact that, with sufficient craftiness, these situations tend to be winnable more often than not is a testament to how finely-tuned the game is.

I haven't played much of the DLC and I still have to finish the extended campaign, so I'm working on that now, but the new characters seem kinda crap. One of the imprisoned agents I picked up came from the DLC, and his greatest utility requires killing people, which I've studiously managed to avoid thus far. The game actually avoids moralising entirely if your methods happen to involve lethal casualties, but you do get punished for it: heart rate monitors will put the facility on alert if a guard is killed, and if you complete the mission, the only consequence is that you get a financial penalty to deal with the repercussions of the dead guards - and destroyed robots too, for whatever reason, but the latter is peanuts.

Somehow, I've managed to get most of the way through the campaign even though the game decided to make an excellent weapon I picked up early on disappear from my inventory at the next mission. I made up for it by making better use of EMPs to unlock safes. Other interactable devices simply stop working when you EMP them, which I found out the hard way when I set off an EMP in the prison hoping that taking out the control console would unlock the cell doors. It did not. Safes, however, simply pop open after being hit with an EMP, which is really convenient when there are three 5-level safes clustered in a room and I can just EMP them all at once instead of breaking into each one the hard way. Given that I have a severe shortage of powerful hacking tools in this campaign, it's exactly what I need.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1003 on: 30 Jan 2018, 15:10 »

Started playing Medieval II Total War with the Stainless Steel mod again.  Currently playing as the Crusader States and the year is 1328.  I successfully subsumed the lands of the Fatimid Caliphate and Seljuk Sultanate, and faced only one jihad, which was successfully defended against thanks to calling a counter-crusade on one of the Islamic factions and getting lucky in diplomacy with the nearest aggressor.  I recently concluded a 60+ years/turns war with the Mongols; the first 30 years or so I captured only two territories from them and was destroying multiple armies per turn that they sent at me thanks to a couple of forts south of the Caspian Sea and a fortress guarding a mountain pass just north of the Persian Gulf.  Second half was marching across their realm and capturing settlements and dropping temporary fortifications for all my field armies, because facing a Mongol army in the open is folly (death by 10000000 arrows).  Lost a few captured settlements and had to backtrack get them back and then had to abandon one to reinforce a fortress, but I finally drove them out about 70 turns into the war.

Now that I had control of the Middle East and most of West Asia, and had a foothold on the Black Sea, I then turned westward, and stabbed the Eastern Roman Empire, my longest standing ally, in the back by launching a massive invasion on their core region.  Captured almost all of Anatolia, Constantinople, the Crimea, and the eastern coast of the Black Sea in one turn, and am poised to march into Hungary once I weather a storm of armies that are marching on Constantinople (I managed to get some newfangled cannon towers built into the city defenses, so holding it should be easy), and frankly, it's a breath of fresh air to finally face off against armies again that aren't composed almost entirely of horse archers and heavy- and light cavalry.  I may delay Hungary for a bit and instead launch another seaborne invasion of Greece; five of its six territories are right on the coast and my spy network shows them all lightly garrisoned, so I could have them all under my control within a single turn.

I do have a save file of this game from right before I invaded the ERE because I want to see them duke it out with England, which has conquered all of France, Northern Spain, NW Italy, and is pushing into the remnants of the Holy Roman Empire.  The ERE itself has also reached the former HRE, and controls Italy outside of the Papal States and England's one territory, has reached the Baltic, and controls the southwestern corner of Russia that isn't held by me or the Novgorodian Rus.  Speaking of the Novgorods, they attacked one of my border fortresses shortly before I invaded the ERE, but they quickly sued for peace (why, I have no idea, since I had what amounted to one army defending my border with them).  And interestingly, Norway has been active this game; they held north Poland for quite awhile before the ERE kicked them out, but they still have a strong hold on Paris and the NW corner of France, and also hold Belgium and Holland  Normally they just sit in their home territory for the most part and Denmark pigeon-holes them, so it's nice seeing a different Scandinavian faction in play.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1004 on: 30 Jan 2018, 17:57 »

Got Dragon Ball FighterZ, a lot of fun and the story plays out like an arc on the show. I'm also looking at playing Monster Hunter World

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1005 on: 30 Jan 2018, 20:01 »

I'll probably get Monster Hunter World next month, thanks to money and time limits. I'm still on the fence to get it on PC or PS4 though.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1006 on: 31 Jan 2018, 05:45 »

I'll probably get Monster Hunter World next month, thanks to money and time limits. I'm still on the fence to get it on PC or PS4 though.

Would you mind posting your impressions? It's on my 'maaaaybe?'-list.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1007 on: 31 Jan 2018, 08:11 »

I only played a little bit of it during one of the demo weekends, but my impression then was 'not enough explanation'. I blame that entirely on the demo aspect than the game though. It basically dropped you into a hunt with a fully geared out hunter and no explanation as to what all this stuff you have is/does.  People who have played other MH games probably had no issue on it, but the only one I played was a long long time ago. The games just haven't been out on systems that I own much before now.

The game is gorgeous, the world is very much alive and the weapons and equipment are varied. Story and cut scenes seem nice from watching let's plays... but I'm trying to avoid to much of that since I plan to get it soonish. I play Dauntless which is a simpler, free to play game in the same genre. Well, it will be free to play, it's in early access with founders packs right now. The feel of taking down large behemoths is there, but one bemoaning I have is there are so few options for weapon and gear selection and the worlds are very static. It's basically you in the monster in a large flat area... MHW you fight over varied landscape and where you fight matters. Environmental traps, other creatures getting in on the fight, actually having to track/chase down the monsters. I feel it's more engaging than Dauntless' learn the enemy patterns and understand your attacks game play.

I'll probably wind up getting it on PS4, but I really don't like that I have to get a Playstation Plus membership as well as my internet service to play online.

Anyway, that's very early and limited first impressions. Once I can get it and sink some time into it I'll probably have a better one.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1008 on: 31 Jan 2018, 11:50 »

Kingdom Hearts. Specifically the 1.5 HD version. I haven't played this game for probably ten years and it's not as big and long as I remember. Probably because I was so bad at the combat when I was younger so I'm getting through it faster. It's repetitive and cheesy but fun.

I got the PS4 bundle so I'll be able to play the spin off games I've never played before once I finish the first one.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1009 on: 31 Jan 2018, 15:37 »

So far Monster Hunter is beautiful, and I love exploring. I'm kind of sad you can't climb everything like in Breath of the Wild. I've only done a few quests/missions but I'm having fun. I've gotta link up with friends to play some more, but I hear right now that's kind of a pain.

I'm new to Monster Hunter so the fighting is a little boring/tedious, it takes awhile to fight/whittle/kill a monster. I don't really like having to sharpen my weapons mid fight cause they've lost their sharpness/aren't dealing as much damage as they should be

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1010 on: 31 Jan 2018, 19:21 »

Yeah, if I remember correctly the Monster Hunter games tended to favour certain weapons for various monsters. Blades for the fleshy ones, hammers for the armoured ones and so on.

Also, I think that you need to upgrade the weapons as you go along, because the first weapons you get at the beginning are on the crap end of the scale. You need to target body parts and carve the skin, meat and bones you can. At least that's how it was in the earlier games.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1011 on: 31 Jan 2018, 19:55 »

A key point to the monster hunting genre as a whole is the creatures you are going after are incredibly tough. MMO raid boss difficulty or more, generally designed for a team of hunters to tackle.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1012 on: 31 Jan 2018, 20:37 »

Oh I know, I remember the first MH on the PS2 and the nightmare of trying to get three other people to go for the same hunter. I still hate wyverns to this day!

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #1013 on: 03 Feb 2018, 05:53 »

I won't play MH, but I did used to get together with friends who'd get their handhelds out to play, and I'd watch. Was fun.

Oh God, Invisible Inc. I kinda can't do it, but it is good.

Also guys halp i installed Warframe and now i'm spending all my gaming time flipping and gliding and being a silly bow ninja halp

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1014 on: 03 Feb 2018, 08:30 »

When my friends and I were finally done with Destiny 1 a few of them switched over to Warframe and were happy. I gotta pick it up, only tried the first mission and wasn't into it, cause I've heard that it has improved a lot

One of my main contentions with Monster Hunter World is that I want to play with friends but the game won't let me, mainly cause they didn't do a beta on X1

Jeemy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1015 on: 03 Feb 2018, 09:00 »

Kind of interested in Monster Hunter. I'd never really heard of it. In the old days I used to buy gaming magazines but I felt they spoilt things somewhat as you got previews of games that never ended up being made, or weren't any good, too much info on story-based games, and no surprises.

Downside of never reading media anymore is sometimes you can miss a whole thing!

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1016 on: 03 Feb 2018, 09:48 »

I like WF quite a bit so far, but it's been built on and built on and tinkered with and had more stuff bolted on for several years now. And many of those things are good, or actual improvements on the original core design!

but it also means there's a few weird holes and a lotta *stuff* going on that can be.... confusing/overwhelming. Not as bad as, say, EVE prior to that one patch where they added an actual tutorial in, but y'know

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1017 on: 03 Feb 2018, 11:15 »

Well, EVE *does* have a learning curve worse than even emacs.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1018 on: 03 Feb 2018, 15:46 »

I've played Warframe over the years... Not regularly but I'll get in the mood for stretches. My biggest issue with the game is that it seems soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo grindy. Like, way way more than any other game that I've played, including FFXI. As a for instance, I still have not maxed out the level for the assault rifle you start with. After years. I've played with other main weapons occasionally, but it still seems to take several forevers to progress in the game. At least for me, maybe others know tricks I don't know. I assume they do. That and it's really hard for me to gauge what difficulty missions I should be running. The missions indicated what levels the enemies spawn at, but you have so many different levels going into what you can do... Your character's level, the level of the warframe you're using, the levels of your various missions and companion... The disadvantage of having so many systems.

So I picked up Monster Hunter World. Still a fabulously beautiful game. I still need to practice controlling a game with a twin stick controller. At least most of the time the enemies are huge so at least I'm going to hit something.... You probably have too many options, too much stuff and the game doesn't hold your hand much on what might be useful or good. It just kind of throws every weapon and a ton of consumables at you at once then says 'Go here, kill some monsters, have fun.' It's old hat for long time MH players, but some of use are noobs.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1019 on: 03 Feb 2018, 17:19 »

>grindier than FFXI

*shudders* I don't know how it used to be, but so far no. but i've mostly been stealth-bow so i get kinda *focused*

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1020 on: 03 Feb 2018, 18:23 »

I really want to get my hands on Monster Hunter World. I've been craving a game to sink my metaphorical teeth into like that.

Too bad I'm gonna have to wait for the PC release.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1021 on: 04 Feb 2018, 04:41 »

I've heard of Dauntless being similar a few times in the last couple of weeks. No idea if it's any good, I've not played it or had much chance to look into it.

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Dauntless
https://playdauntless.com/
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1022 on: 04 Feb 2018, 06:45 »

Dauntless is a good game. It's in the same monster hunting genre, but it is a simpler and more accessible version of it. It's still in closed beta state so you have to purchase a founders pack to play right now, but on release (whenever that is) it will be free to play. The style is much simpler, more Warcraft-cartoonish than the realism of Monster Hunter. There are five weapon types to choose from instead of MH's  16 and the consumables are much more streamlined. None of that makes it a bad game in comparison though, just easier to get into. Think in comparison play Heroes of the Storm vs League of Legends, if you follow MOBA games.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1023 on: 05 Feb 2018, 05:07 »

So I saw one of my best friends over the weekend and we burned through the main campaigns of two games and the DLC of one of them. I'll come back to the second one later.

First up - Until Dawn. Spoilers below, if you've not played it.
If you're a fan of horror movies, good or bad, then this game is for you. Take every horror game, novel, TV series and movie and throw them in a blender, staple it together into an episodic adventure that has a handful of Quicktime events to justify calling it a 'game' and you know what Until Dawn is. The idea of the game is to choose whether or not to help a cast of eight characters survive the night by helping them with their decisions. It's got a big 'butterfly effect' thing, which it drills home so many times in the opening credits that it may as well say 'I MEAN LET'S BE HONEST IF YOU'RE PLAYING THIS GAME THEN YOU'RE CLEARLY A MORON SO LET'S GO OVER THIS SHIT A FEW MORE TIMES.'

It is the exact, perfect mix of a great game and a terrible movie, which means that to play it with friends is an absolute blast. We took turns playing it, and had an enormous amount of fun laughing at it, laughing with it, occasionally actually getting scared, and making fun of the truly laughable gameplay-stretching stuff. Here is the way that the game works.
- You need to open the door.
- Press X to activate the QTE.
- Press R2 to grab the handle.
- Push the right analogue stick up, then clockwise to turn the handle.

That's three stages to open a fucking door. What a beautiful joke this fucking game is, it's like a 90s FMV game on 10 discs. I do like that it's lacking in retries; if you kill off a character, they are donion rings, no takesies-backsies. I HATED on the other hand, the 'LAST TIME ON UNTIL DAWN' sections, partially because they're unskippable and partially because they are sometimes flat out wrong (on more than one occasion I saw footage in the 'previously on' which I had not seen when actually playing the earlier scene.)

(click to show/hide)

It's not a good game. I'm not sure you can really qualify it as a game so much as a choose your adventure novel made digital flesh. But if you're in a party atmosphere, I cannot recommend it highly enough.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1024 on: 05 Feb 2018, 06:44 »

My partner and I played Until Dawn together like you described and it is the best way to play it. Good words.

Also "donion rings" is incredibly funny.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1025 on: 06 Feb 2018, 03:05 »

Thanks! I stole it from Danny from Game Grumps.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1026 on: 17 Feb 2018, 11:18 »

Playing Darkest Dungeon and I have to say its really fun and pretty brutal!  I love how lovecraftian it is too.  Its a dungeon cralwer where you have to manage the party's health sanity and quirks!  The atmosphere an mechanics are very nice so far.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1027 on: 25 Feb 2018, 21:14 »

Downloaded Stellaris over the weekend. I definitely like the game (it's like Civilization in space :roll: ), though I failed horribly at my first attempt at it. Got into a position where I was in a war but I couldn't generate enough materials to build any ships.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1028 on: 27 Feb 2018, 15:55 »

people i just finished the Natah quest in Warframe and i'm screaming in revelatory satisfaction because of how it ties in to one of the Synthesis Research vignettes and all the weird holes and gaps of the game that i'm filling in and it's frustrating but also alienating in a good way and argle

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1029 on: 27 Feb 2018, 15:56 »

not to go on but AAAAAAAAAAAA

yessssssssssss

that's the goood stuff

i need a cigarette

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1030 on: 27 Feb 2018, 19:31 »

people i just finished the Natah quest in Warframe and i'm screaming in revelatory satisfaction because of how it ties in to one of the Synthesis Research vignettes and all the weird holes and gaps of the game that i'm filling in and it's frustrating but also alienating in a good way and argle

argle
v.

1580s "to argue obstinately," from argue, perhaps by influence of haggle. Reduplicated form argle-bargle (sometimes argy-bargy) "wrangling" is attested from 1872.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/argle

Deities   

Great Green Arkleseizure

The Great Green Arkleseizure is the creator of the universe, as claimed by adherents of the faith on planet Viltvodle VI. The Jatravartids of this faith believe that the Universe was sneezed out the Great Green Arkleseizure's nose.

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Green_Arkleseizure
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1031 on: 27 Feb 2018, 20:36 »

Vermintide 2 demo is out with the first level of each of the three acts. It's really the same gameplay as the first one but with more. Unlocking sub classes for the characters, new maps, new enemies. Everything that made the original game fun, just more of it. Vermintide itself is basically a reskinned Left 4 Dead game with Warhammer 40k flavoring. And since Valve can't count to 3, there isn't a lot of competition for that style of game. Recommended.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1032 on: 28 Feb 2018, 05:15 »

Still going strong in Monster Hunter World

When the monster you’re hunting is limping and whining while desperately trying to run away and is scared for its life, but you still have to kill it

When the monster you’re hunting is limping and whining while desperately trying to run away and is scared for its life after it’s killed you 40 times

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1033 on: 01 Mar 2018, 01:35 »

FTL - Faster Than Light
It's easy to get sucked into this game and play sector after sector, trying to fine-tune your ship build and equipment. However, beware! There are no save points and fatigue (and costly mistakes) easily creep up on you!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1034 on: 01 Mar 2018, 06:20 »

FTL is brutal yet fun!  :-D

There's an age of sail game that I think just came out that is essentially FTL but with sailing ships.  I think its called "Abandon ship" or something.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1035 on: 01 Mar 2018, 07:34 »

If you want FTL, you can get it included with a purchase (GOG or Humble) of the devs' new game Into the Breach: a turn-based tactics game of mechs vs kaijus. I haven't played it but I heard it's at least as good as FTL. And FTL is pretty damn good.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2018, 08:08 by LTK »
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1036 on: 01 Mar 2018, 09:49 »

The other game we played that weekend (I went back on another weekend to play some other games I'll get to) was Resident Evil 7.

If you're strong of nerve or just someone who enjoys survival horror, even if you've not enjoyed previous Resident Evil games, I cannot recommend this game highly enough. We got through the campaign in about eight hours, which isn't too long, but the first four hours were some of the best gaming I've ever seen, before a bit of a slack middle section and then picking up again close to the end.

Supplies are a tiny bit plentiful but we were playing on an easier setting. It's got a lot of the classic American Gothic elements, the hillbilly savages out for your blood, crazy chainsaws, butchery, all that good shit. The game has a bunch of triggered events that are often flat-out terrifying. It's gory, dark and has a twisted sense of humour.

(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1037 on: 01 Mar 2018, 13:23 »

I watched Scary Game Squad play through it and it was wonderful (both the game and the playthrough).  I think I've re-watched it a few times.

(click to show/hide)

I am too much of a scardy cat to play scary games but do like to watch the lets plays.  Have you played Until Dawn Thrillho?  Its about a bunch of teenagers in a private ski lodge and you have to do your best to keep them all alive...until dawn!  Its an homage to slasher flicks and monster movies.  It plays like a choose your own adventure book with some QTEs for the actiony parts.  Its pretty fun to do with a partner or group.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1038 on: 01 Mar 2018, 19:32 »

I am too much of a scardy cat to play scary games

Me too. Couldn't get past the beginner's levels of Alien: Isolation. Couldn't even play it for longer than 30mins at a time, truth be told - not for fear-overload, simple exhaustion. It's ... intense. Trouble is that it's a double game of cat & mouse - the Alien is hiding from you same way that you are hiding from it (Not cause it's afraid of you, but because it knows you're smart prey. Or maybe for fun).

First thing you learn is that when you see it, you're either in cover - in a locker, under a gurney, in a ventilation duct, whatever - or you're food. So your ears become your primary sense. Don't know about your pair, but human ears are generally not considered the crowning achievement of mammalian sensory equipment.

You spend a lot of time just listening. It moves, you move. You stop and listen - and you hear it banging about in a ventilation duct somewhere. You start to walk a little faster. You stop and listen again - and you hear nothing. There's few things scarier than not hearing the goddamn' thing banging about. Two out of three times, not hearing it means it's out of range. One out of three, it's either smelled you, or is doing the Alien version of a 'crazy Ivan' - just waiting a few seconds and then it doubles back, quadruple-time. Or it's figured you out and is already sneaking up on you from behind. Or it's went up a ventilation shaft that you have to pass and is waiting for you to work up the guts to walk past ...

So actually, the best method of preventing it from stalking you is stalking it - that way you at least know where it is. Its sense of vision isn't that good, methinks (like most Terran predators, it's less good than a human at interpreting still visuals, so standing still is a good tac), but nonetheless: Stalking an alien is ... intense. You get a gun quite early in the game, but that's little use other than for pissing it off. You get a flamethrower later on, but until then, there's nothing you can do except not being seen. Nothing. The sense of vulnerability is so overwhelming that I found it hard to keep playing more than half an hour. Simply stresses me out so much.

And don't get me started about the friggin' motion detector! It's an additional stressor all by itself. On the one hand, the additional info (besides your ears) is handy. On the other, it has some hefty drawbacks: It has a tiny, tiny range and it's not easy to interpret ... it's not like a radar. And it's loud. If you whip out the MD anywhere close to the alien, last thing you'll see is a green dot bearing down on you fast. So you're always thinking "Can I risk a peek on the MD?". They've made even a helpful tool into yet another stressor.

And it learns your strategies. If your preferred method of evasion is hiding in lockers, it starts taking more of an interest in lockers - up to the point were it'll always find you when you hide in a locker. So you've got to vary your evasion strategies, on the fly, using whatever is around you at the time, preferably while stalking it, because that way, you at least know where the goddamn' thing is.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2018, 20:50 by Case »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1039 on: 01 Mar 2018, 20:40 »

I watched markiplier play Alien: Isolation while at my old job around christmas.  It was a government building, so since it was near the holidays it was a ghost town with lots of dark corridors and funky sounding vents. When I had to go to the rare person in the building to help with their computer, it made it creepy since I was pulled away from a scary game where you go down dark corridors in search of a computer terminal with bumping sounds in the vents.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1040 on: 02 Mar 2018, 09:19 »

Have you played Until Dawn Thrillho?  Its about a bunch of teenagers in a private ski lodge and you have to do your best to keep them all alive...until dawn!  Its an homage to slasher flicks and monster movies.  It plays like a choose your own adventure book with some QTEs for the actiony parts.  Its pretty fun to do with a partner or group.

So I saw one of my best friends over the weekend and we burned through the main campaigns of two games and the DLC of one of them. I'll come back to the second one later.

First up - Until Dawn. Spoilers below, if you've not played it.
If you're a fan of horror movies, good or bad, then this game is for you. Take every horror game, novel, TV series and movie and throw them in a blender, staple it together into an episodic adventure that has a handful of Quicktime events to justify calling it a 'game' and you know what Until Dawn is. The idea of the game is to choose whether or not to help a cast of eight characters survive the night by helping them with their decisions. It's got a big 'butterfly effect' thing, which it drills home so many times in the opening credits that it may as well say 'I MEAN LET'S BE HONEST IF YOU'RE PLAYING THIS GAME THEN YOU'RE CLEARLY A MORON SO LET'S GO OVER THIS SHIT A FEW MORE TIMES.'

It is the exact, perfect mix of a great game and a terrible movie, which means that to play it with friends is an absolute blast. We took turns playing it, and had an enormous amount of fun laughing at it, laughing with it, occasionally actually getting scared, and making fun of the truly laughable gameplay-stretching stuff. Here is the way that the game works.
- You need to open the door.
- Press X to activate the QTE.
- Press R2 to grab the handle.
- Push the right analogue stick up, then clockwise to turn the handle.

That's three stages to open a fucking door. What a beautiful joke this fucking game is, it's like a 90s FMV game on 10 discs. I do like that it's lacking in retries; if you kill off a character, they are donion rings, no takesies-backsies. I HATED on the other hand, the 'LAST TIME ON UNTIL DAWN' sections, partially because they're unskippable and partially because they are sometimes flat out wrong (on more than one occasion I saw footage in the 'previously on' which I had not seen when actually playing the earlier scene.)

(click to show/hide)

It's not a good game. I'm not sure you can really qualify it as a game so much as a choose your adventure novel made digital flesh. But if you're in a party atmosphere, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

:-D

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1041 on: 02 Mar 2018, 14:49 »

I'm fifty hours into Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix, and I've just got done saying the name.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1042 on: 02 Mar 2018, 14:58 »

@Thrillho: The weird thing is I totally remember reading that but for some reason thought it was a different forum member who wrote it or that it was probably from a different forum.  :-D

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1043 on: 03 Mar 2018, 00:14 »

That's a very good way of describing it, Case. Especially how you inevitably start hunting it just so you know where the damned thing is, even though you'd *really* like to not be that close, please. Me and Evvy used to tagteam it together, until we couldn't stand it any more.

What was funny to me is how slap-happy, how giddy we'd get after a while. Desperately stuffed under a table as it skulked past, watching its deadly tail just drag and slither past. We decided there needed to be a game mode where your goal was to boop it on the tail, just lean out of your hidey hole and boop!

anyway it was a damned neat experience, but you bet we never finished

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1044 on: 03 Mar 2018, 00:51 »

The worst level in Alien: Isolation is the hospital level when the game design and environment and the bug start tag-teaming you, pushing you into areas with only one exit and the Alien is ahead of you. At least, once you have the shotgun and a decent level of ammo you can at least hope to fight the Working Joes (so long as they don't swarm you). However, the Alien can hit you from all six possible directions and it seems to know how to trap you!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1045 on: 07 Mar 2018, 18:36 »

God help me, I figured out how to work the basics of the Captura mode in Warframe

https://twitter.com/de_la_Nae/status/971574679269003264

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1046 on: 07 Mar 2018, 19:49 »

That's a very pretty Warframe.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1047 on: 07 Mar 2018, 22:09 »

Thank you! My poor Mag was so ugly for so long. And that's not always bad! But I was happy to finally hit on a color scheme that I'm really grooving on right now.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #1048 on: 12 Mar 2018, 11:23 »

I am so glad that Subnautica has been fully released. I envy anyone who gets to play it blind because there are so many bits and pieces of the game that I've seeen built from scratch, but finally getting to FINISH the game after all this time? It feels SO GOOD. Literal tears.

Also, it's one of those great games that has scary bits in it even though it's not inherently a scary game. To me, scary bits in an otherwise NON-horror game are SO MUCH SCARIER than scary bits in a horror game. It's like, what's scarier? The zombie dogs in R.E., or the Wallmasters in Legend of Zelda? One you kinda expect, the other just comes out of nowhere the first time you see it.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1049 on: 19 Mar 2018, 17:06 »

I'm playing Dead Cells. It's quite a sneakily compulsive roguelike, and it's got a lot of difficulty levels. I beat the final boss and thought 'Alright, I guess for higher difficulties I'm going to have to grind out a lot of upgrades, and that's not worth it so I'm not going to.'

Three attempts later I beat the final boss on the next higher difficulty.

'Alright,' I think, 'the two cell difficulty is definitely ridiculous, almost everything one-shots me and it's too frustrating to make any progress, I'm not having fun any more so I quit.'

One more attempt and I beat the final boss again. I don't know whether to be proud or disappointed.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32   Go Up