THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 21:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently  (Read 339739 times)

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
Re: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently
« Reply #950 on: 04 Sep 2017, 21:12 »

The Long Dark has finally released story mode.

*I've only died once*
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #952 on: 06 Sep 2017, 18:40 »

DESTINY 2

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2017, 11:56 by Blue Kitty »

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #953 on: 06 Sep 2017, 20:26 »

But what got you?

a combination of wolf attack and freezing to death.
*don't travel at night*
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #954 on: 07 Sep 2017, 04:11 »

Vikings: War of clans

Too addictive - Don't play it!
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2017, 04:35 by JoeCovenant »
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #955 on: 07 Sep 2017, 04:32 »

Man, that link. Joe, are they paying you for that?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #956 on: 07 Sep 2017, 04:35 »

Man, that link. Joe, are they paying you for that?

Altered!
Thanks for the heads up !  :)
Covenant

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #957 on: 07 Sep 2017, 04:45 »

DESTINY 2
Not a valid youtube URL
(click to show/hide)

Yes, I too have been staring at the install button on my Blizzard launcher....

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #958 on: 11 Sep 2017, 19:31 »

I'm still on the fence about buying it. I really enjoyed the beta and am actually rather in the mood for grinding, but the lack of matchmaking for raids really bothers me because I'd have to go in solo.
Quis pater tibi est?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #959 on: 28 Sep 2017, 06:40 »

After 60+ hours, I am finally getting the hang of EU4.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #961 on: 28 Sep 2017, 15:43 »

Pyre's on sale, time to pick that up.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #962 on: 28 Sep 2017, 16:40 »

I finally gave in on Overwatch.

I need to start playing it more.  It probably doesn't help that I can only run it on my laptop unless I bite the bullet and get a much larger SSD so I can set up a dual-boot.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #963 on: 30 Sep 2017, 15:44 »

Seen the trailers for the new Red Dead. Quite excited about it, but is it only for PS4?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #964 on: 30 Sep 2017, 16:00 »

Xbone too, but they'd be stupid not to bring it to PC eventually. It can't have escaped the suits' notice that GTAV didn't leave Steam's top sellers list until well into 2017.

Pyre is drop-dead gorgeous, by the way. Wonderful characters too.

Tlaloc

• Larger than most fish
  • Out of Work Rain Deity
« Reply #965 on: 01 Oct 2017, 02:47 »

After 60+ hours, I am finally getting the hang of EU4.

I play so much ck2 and I'm nervous about eu4!
The point where Existentialist, Taoist and Buddhist thought meet is fascinating.

What goes on inside matters more than what goes on without? If the world beyond our skulls is a cypher that only we can provide meaning to & control is an illusion, what can we expect of ourselves or others?

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #966 on: 28 Oct 2017, 18:09 »

Wolfenstein 2, an excellent game with plentiful poignancy, examinations of the nature of tyranny and oppression, and Hatchet slaughter.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #967 on: 28 Oct 2017, 18:55 »

Picked up a bunch of old D&D-verse games (2nd edition) on Steam the other night.  Right now I'm playing Icewind Dale, and had forgotten how painful it can be at low-level.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #968 on: 28 Oct 2017, 19:00 »

My wife and I are really enjoying The Fracture But Whole.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #969 on: 29 Oct 2017, 08:11 »

My latest mini obsession is Crossout. It's a 'free to play' vehicle build and battle game set in the post apocalypse. So basically, a computer 3D version of Car Wars for those that remember. And I loved me the heck out of Car Wars. Still do, though it's hard to find opponents with the game in limbo. I say 'free to play'  because it's a pretty aggressive market for microtransactions. And most of what you can buy is the actual parts and weapons for your vehicles. It does it in a somewhat round about way though. They've got packs you can purchase with a vehicle, coins for use on the market and the like. Some of which are pretty pricey. Or you can buy coins directly from them in various amounts. The market is an in game where you can buy and sell parts  you need or have spare for coins, with the developers taking a small cut.

To get the parts in the first place there's four avenues... The market is easiest if you've got the coin. Playing battles gets you some base line parts, the cheapest and simplest stuff. As you level up you reputation with the six factions they'll give you new parts and finally you can craft them. Basic stuff may take scrap and copper you get from doing the PVP and PVE battles. More advanced stuff requires harder to get materials and/or other vehicle parts... Like you might need some scrap, copper and basic cannons to make a better cannon. But to craft anything but the basic stuff you need to rent space on the faction's workbenches which costs coins. So one way or another, unless you stick to the most basic stuff you're going to need coins from somewhere. You can play match after match and sell the parts you get or craft on the basic workbench to earn pennies, saving up to buy better stuff from the market or time on the workbenchs to build better. But that's the long grind. Or open your wallet.

It pretty much straddles the line for pay to win with two major saving points. The best stuff you can't get until you play and level up, there's no shortcut around that. I've been playing for about two weeks now and have reached a level I can use any gear I think. More importantly the size of the vehicles you can make are limited and go up at level milestones. Or if you buy a vehicle pack with a higher limit. That limits how many parts you can place on a vehicle. And each part has a power rating, added together to the total power of your car. And since players are matched in games by power rating you don't run into seal clubbing insidents where guys with a pickup that has a machine gun bolted to the roof are facing off against custom death machines with cannons and missiles.

The game plays great though. Wait times are short, matches tend to be over relatively fast and building vehicles is both intuitive, creative and fun. I do recommend it, even with the pay to play elements in it. Just know that this is one of the free games where you're probably going to want to spend cash in it. So know what you're getting yourself into.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #970 on: 29 Oct 2017, 14:47 »

My wife has really gotten into Nidhogg thanks to a friend and now we have it on Steam

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #971 on: 29 Oct 2017, 15:31 »

Quake: Arcane Dimensions, a free modpack for the original Quake. It's a hell of a lot of fun. I spent an hour on the first level alone, but to be fair a solid third of that was wandering around looking for secrets. I haven't had to really focus on an FPS in such a long time, my eyes have started to feel telescopic.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #972 on: 03 Nov 2017, 12:10 »

News from blizzcon:

Overwatch: New Hero named Moira. 

WoW: release of WoW Classic servers

also new WoW expansion:

Looks like Horde and Alliance are finally in open warfare!
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2017, 13:20 by LeeC »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #973 on: 03 Nov 2017, 13:58 »

Well someone has respecced as a Paladin...

Also, why do I get the feeling that its going to Jaina who sparks the war?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #974 on: 03 Nov 2017, 19:01 »

Well Kul Tiras shows up in this expansion so probably involved.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #975 on: 03 Nov 2017, 20:46 »

And Jaina was the voice on the other video that listed the features of the expansion.

Seems the choices are:
Sylvanas has finally decided to follow in Zombie-Daddy's footsteps and instigated the war.
Alduin has taking a few pages from his dad's playbook, but they're all "How to wage war and annihilate people".
Or Jaina has taken that last step onto the slippery slide into the abyss that is insanity.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #976 on: 03 Nov 2017, 20:57 »

The other video they have show that the Horde have taken all of Kalimdor (and I think Danassus is burning?) and the Alliance have the Eastern Kingdoms.  That would mean the Dreanei NE, BE, and undead have all been displaced!

I really wonder if they will be going down the "Jaina is a dreadlord" route and she set up the whole war...or if its over one too many misunderstandings.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #977 on: 03 Nov 2017, 21:04 »

Honestly I think its going to be one of those situations where so much crap has gone down these past expansions, not to mention that some of the more stabilising elements on both sides have been killed off and other characters have become darker and more warhawkish that its going to be a case of spontaneous combustion rather than anyone striking a match.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #978 on: 03 Nov 2017, 21:08 »

They also never wrapped up certain conflicts.  Like the battle for Gilneas or the invasion into central Kalimdor, etc.  Perhaps this is their way of doing it?

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #979 on: 16 Nov 2017, 20:54 »

Well, I finally caved in and bought an XboneX last week.... aaaand I'm still playing Tomb Raider on the 360.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Charles012

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #980 on: 07 Dec 2017, 12:11 »

Cytus has a significantly more extensive melodic base and an exceptionally extraordinary touch framework that I've never observed for this style of amusement. It's a considerable measure of fun, yet without the plot and heading for Love Live it's not exactly as grasping.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #982 on: 08 Dec 2017, 08:32 »

HOMELAND

is free on Steam just now (24+ hours to go)
Covenant

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #983 on: 08 Dec 2017, 08:41 »

World of Conflict and Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag is free from Ubisoft right now.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #984 on: 10 Dec 2017, 15:17 »

But only on PC

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #985 on: 30 Dec 2017, 01:37 »

I am friggin loving Tooth and Tail!  Seriously, why doesn't this game get more press!

It's pretty much Redwall meets Animal Farm.  Very simple controls too.  You essential are a leader that carries a flag.  You tell your army what to build and where to rally the troops with your flag and try to destroy the enemy's farms before they get yours.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #986 on: 30 Dec 2017, 02:07 »

I've read about how, unlike Animal Farm, the game examines the implications of sapient livestock. You have many carnivores in your army and they need to eat.

In Tooth and Tail, you exploit the pigs. In Animal Farm, the pigs exploit you.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #987 on: 30 Dec 2017, 05:56 »

Bought Okami for the Xbox One, the second time I've bought it. I'm really looking forward to playing it again, though without the motion controls of the Wii

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #988 on: 03 Jan 2018, 04:32 »

I am again playing through "ES: Oblivion!"
Only this time I have finally installed the "Game of the Year" additional content!

(Knights of the Nine, Shiv. Isles, etc)
Covenant

TheEvilDog

« Reply #989 on: 03 Jan 2018, 05:04 »

Shiv. Isles

An expansion where the player fashions knives out of everyday items and stabs people at random.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #990 on: 03 Jan 2018, 05:12 »

Shiv. Isles

An expansion where the player fashions knives out of everyday items and stabs people at random.

Hmmm...
I dunno whether to be intrigued, scared, or annoyed by that!  :)

Covenant

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #991 on: 18 Jan 2018, 06:40 »

Played a bit of Warhammer 40K: Armageddon last night.  The campaign is fun and really illustrates the war with Von Straub being an egotistical idiot and the vainglory commissar attached to your army is a nice way to depict logic vs glory.  The tutorial missions were easy, as were the first few missions against the orks but now the difficulty level has become steep!  Not that its impossible to win or anything, just a challenge.  And the ork AI is very aggressive (who'd have thunk it?!) which is a nice change of pace from other strategy games.  For those not in the know, its a hexagon strategy game in the vain of the old Panzer General games, just with a warhammer 40k setting.

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #992 on: 18 Jan 2018, 14:41 »

I'm playing the open beta for Dragon Ball Fighterz that's on today.

I have a lifelong love for Dragon Ball, but I've never been big on any fighting games other than Smash Bros.

I'm really impressed by this game, though. I've been playing it all day and I'm tempted to drop the financial axe to play it around release time.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #993 on: 19 Jan 2018, 13:35 »

I got Fallout 1, Tactics and 2 from Steam.

Fallout 1 is nut-bustingly difficult so far, it really doesn't meet the user in the middle, but I think I'm too used to the newer games. I am getting annihilated at almost every turn.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #994 on: 19 Jan 2018, 13:49 »

For a fun run, max out your Luck and see what happens.  I ran into a nuka-cola truck filled with thousands of bottle caps at the very beginning of the game.

As for the game play, its a very different style compared to the new games.  I like to think of it like a current XCOM game but very basic.  I learned to play FO1 by watching a few lets plays which helped me figure out the combat.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #995 on: 19 Jan 2018, 13:55 »

Replaced my laptop last week, so I've been playing Fallout 4. Which is fun because it runs smoothly, previously it was just jittery as hell and if I even looked in the general vicinity of Diamond City, the whole thing would slow to a snails pace.

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #996 on: 19 Jan 2018, 14:05 »

I got Fallout 1, Tactics and 2 from Steam.

Fallout 1 is nut-bustingly difficult so far, it really doesn't meet the user in the middle, but I think I'm too used to the newer games. I am getting annihilated at almost every turn.

Please save often, and keep saves from very far behind from where you are. It's 100% possible to reach a state in Fallout 1 where you are completely boned and don't know it until later.

(click to show/hide)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #997 on: 21 Jan 2018, 00:18 »

I'm still alive.

Overwatch is still a thing. Not the only thing. But some of my friends play too. It's fun to play with friends. We talk. We bitch. I heal or tank. Mercy/Rein, when I can get it. cuz i can't aim

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #998 on: 21 Jan 2018, 13:47 »

I'm still alive.

Overwatch is still a thing. Not the only thing. But some of my friends play too. It's fun to play with friends. We talk. We bitch. I heal or tank. Mercy/Rein, when I can get it. cuz i can't aim

I'm very, very tempted ... but I'm a bit reluctant to go back to online gaming (CS-addict, back in the day ...)

Also, I've spent my monthly 'allowance' on AC Origins (It's still "Ubisoft Sandbox" in a way, but all the good things they say about the revamp are true. They took a very long & hard look at Witcher 3 e.g., and while it's not as good as TW3, it's ... pretty good)
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #999 on: 21 Jan 2018, 14:13 »

Should I get the new Star Wars Battlefront II game?  I know people are pretty divided, mostly from EA's handling of it, but is it a fun/good game to get?  Or should I not waste my money?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32   Go Up