THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What music should Dora put on for the inevitable bloody reckoning that is to come?

Something up beat and poppy! You can't spell "slaughter" without "laughter" after all!
- 12 (18.5%)
Slayer. Why is this even a question?
- 28 (43.1%)
New Age Spathe Ham Electronica
- 4 (6.2%)
Dubstep, Drop the bass and dropkick someone's soul.
- 8 (12.3%)
I would tell you what band I'd go on a rampage to, but you'd have never heard of them. Pleb.
- 8 (12.3%)
Dora should just calm down and visualize whirled peas till she feels better.
- 5 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: 30 Aug 2014, 02:49

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2776-2780 (25-29 August 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 75798 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

The war starts at midnight, which is why I'm attacking... err, posting now!

Post your rampage song suggestions in the comments, maybe we can get Felix to play them all on the radio!

For bonus points, what obscure film from the early 20th century did I reference with "The war starts at midnight"? Hint: It's one of Martin Scorsese's favorite films.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Hmm. Music to beat somebody up to. Dropkick Murphys?
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

TheEvilDog

Alright, but I'm not shipping up to Boston just yet.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Whom are you shipping however?

And remember that shipping is forbidden here  :mrgreen:
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

Maybe she can go all Guardians and use Hooked on a Feeling as a fight anthem.

TheEvilDog

Nah, I just need to find my wooden leg.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Maybe it's up by the fields of Athenry? It's probably lonely up there EvilDog, you should go get it.

DKM and Five Finger Death Punch are the top of my "Hahah! Time for gratuitous violence!" playlist with Slayer, all three of which are used as a psychological warfare tool in Iraq and Afghanistan. It's a double benefit because it pumps up the soldiers and Marines, and Terry Taliban fucking haaaaaaates metal. Especially Slayer. It's like the perfect bard song IRL, it buffs your guys and debuffs the enemy.

and it's played on one of these:

instead of some wimpy lute.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Nah, I just need to find my wooden leg.

Alright then. Just keep in mind that we're all a wicked sensitive crew here.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Post your rampage song suggestions in the comments, maybe we can get Felix to play them all on the radio!
I highly doubt that my station is going to be okay with a "Songs To Murder By" theme  :psyduck:
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Death Metal?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Nah.  I'd have to go with Feelin' Groovy for murder.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Depends. If you want to get it over with quickly, the Bouncing Souls' "ECFU" would probably do nicely. If you're taking the scenic route (in a manner of speaking) something like "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima" or "Metal Machine Music" might be more apropos.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Nick Cave's "Murder Ballads", obviously.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

Funnily enough, Murder Ballads as an album features a little too frequently on my show. How they let me get away with Stagger Lee, I'll never know  :psyduck:
#shamelessselfpromotion
~She/Her/They/Them~

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

'Cos he's that bad motherfucker called Stagger Lee.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

"Killed by Death" - Motörhead
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

MISTER Stagger Lee
~She/Her/They/Them~

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

So the only thing I remembered concerning Stagger Lee was "Stackalee" by Chris Barber. I was a little bit confused about why that'd be so bad. Then I looked up Nick Cave's Stagger Lee. Uhm, yes, that's a little bit different  :psyduck:

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

MISTER Stagger Lee
Well done.  I was tempted to follow-up my post with that, but I decided to let someone else do it.

So the only thing I remembered concerning Stagger Lee was "Stackalee" by Chris Barber. I was a little bit confused about why that'd be so bad. Then I looked up Nick Cave's Stagger Lee. Uhm, yes, that's a little bit different  :psyduck:
Yeah, he does that sometimes.  And "Murder Ballads" is exactly what it says on the tin.  My personal favourite is "The Curse of Millhaven", especially since I used to tease my ex that it was about her.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.

I figured it would be you or Hodges IICIH.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Nick Cave's "Murder Ballads", obviously.
Of those I only know the duet (Where the wild roses grow) with Kylie Minogue. That song is nice, but the story in it left me with a WTF?

For something totally different, lest we become too serious, Always look on the bright side of Death
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

DrBear

• Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

The Night The Lights Went Out in Northampton?

/yeah, I got nothin'
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Dropkick Murphys always makes me feel like such a hipster, not because I knew them before they were popular, but because I grew up with them when they were pretty much only popular with teenage boys within a few hours of Boston, and then The Departed came along, and now the songs everyone always goes to aren't the ones I remember...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Stoon

Wait a minute!  The Dropkick Murphys have become popular?  Man, I haven't listened to them in like a decade.  Since before their lead singer left to join the Boston Fire Department.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Dooooooom

Okay, I'll just add that the first panel of today's comic reminds me of panel 2 of this one...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yakety Sax. Duh.

So, uh...at least she's just forcing herself to be happy because of the shitstorm that's going to come, but...damn. This won't end well. I wonder if she's told Faye yet.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

I've always thought excommunication was underrated.

Chelicerate

• Furry furrier

in before "Isn't she overreacting?"

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

She might be. Maybe underreacting, I don't know.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier

Just because someone is family doesn't mean you have to love them or deal with them for the rest of your life.

Then again, cutting the guy off completely might be kinda harsh. I mean, some of Sven's actions haven't exactly been smart but he's not a completely abusive jackass or something.

Chelicerate

• Furry furrier

His latest behaviour is pretty indicative of "abusive jackass" tho. Others were going 'This is out of character for sven!' but now that it's there, it re-contextualizes a LOT of his previous behavior.

TheEvilDog

Normally I'd say Dora has finally snapped, but she's actually making a huge amount of sense.... :psyduck:

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

How happy she is about it feels like a façade that she's putting up, even to herself, though, so she doesn't break down.

Basically, it's a decent action, but how she's going about it is incredibly unhealthy.

creatureshock

• Plantmonster

OK, registered just to post this: The most toxic person in the comic is calling someone else toxic?  Seriously?

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

How happy she is about it feels like a façade that she's putting up, even to herself, though, so she doesn't break down.

Yeah, pretty much.  It's not much unlike when people who share those image macros on social media that say things like "look at all the fucks I give!".  You kind of just know they're trying to convince themselves of the fact.

That said, I can understand WHY you would exaggerate a feeling or "fake it till you make it", especially if the alternative is continuing to feel shitty and un-empowered. 

Basically, it's a decent action, but how she's going about it is incredibly unhealthy.

Unhealthy because she's basically lying to herself, or because she might be taking it too far?

OK, registered just to post this: The most toxic person in the comic is calling someone else toxic?  Seriously?

Woah, shots fired.  Care to elaborate on your thoughts?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm not sure I can disagree outright, but I would also like to hear more.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

Oh yeah, we're just waiting for the other boot to drop now, because while it is healthy to cut out toxic people from your life, it seems like Dora is about to do it in the worst possible way. I mean, from the looks of it, she hasn't spoken to Sven about this and from what I can see, Dora hasn't spoken to her parents about her therapy, let alone her problems with Sven.

Dora might think she's digging herself out of a hole, but my guess is, she's just making it deeper.

I wouldn't call Dora toxic, she's someone who has not had the easiest path in life and not possessing the best idea of how her actions have consequences and tends to jump before she looks. She's had to deal with a lot of rejection in her life and so it's coloured her view of the world.
Sven, on the other hand, is a guy who has always breezed through life, been the "perfect" older sibling to Dora (perfect in the sense that he could do no wrong), writes crap country-music songs but still makes money off them and felt that Faye should have reciprocated when he announced that he loved her, despite the fact that his own actions caused the dissolution of his relationship with Faye and, more importantly, she is now in a relationship with another person. This is probably the first time he's been rejected and he can't actually deal with it. Add onto that his encounters with the other members of the cast (save for Hanners), the guy is a manipulator, a very toxic kind of person.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Unhealthy because she's basically lying to herself, or because she might be taking it too far?

Yes.

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier

His latest behaviour is pretty indicative of "abusive jackass" tho. Others were going 'This is out of character for sven!' but now that it's there, it re-contextualizes a LOT of his previous behavior.

That's not how I look at it, personally - I just let it stop at "out of character". I mean the guy was talking about reading the situation correctly when taking Hannelore on a "date" and at points in the comic before dating Faye he didn't seem that socially unskilled. It's more like uglier parts of his character have come out ever since some time passed after things with Faye fall out. I don't acknowledge this as part of who Sven normally is, I just see it as him having some kind of nervous breakdown. There WERE moments before Sven and Faye came together that Sven showed some forms of empathy, like giving Dora advice on how to go about pursuing Marten or explaining her history of issues to Marten after their fight over what happened between him and Faye on the couch.

I'm not saying the guy isn't an asshole at times, he definitely has been. But he's also been there for Dora from time to time and I think a complete cutoff in one of his not-too-bright moments is going to come back to hurt her as much as it would hurt Sven for the first moments. Now, a complete bitch-out, I would be 100% in support of.

creatureshock

• Plantmonster

Woah, shots fired.  Care to elaborate on your thoughts?

Sure.  She has admitted she has a rivalry with her brother, but only because he lives an easy life and she can't stand it.  Of the hand full of times they've been shown together in the comic, how many were her threatening to do harm to him?  The majority that I can remember.  If anyone has been toxic in the brother-sister relationship it's been her.  Yeah, he's acted like a scum bag to women, but not to his sister.  If anything, she needs to go have a long talk with her dad about how he treats women because her brother does the same. 

How long did she fuck with Marten's mind while they were in a relationship?  It finally took him having enough of it to break it off with her.  She threatened Faye into going to therapy and it took Faye doing the same thing to get Dora to do it.  Marigold is barely more then spank bank material to her since she acts more like a dirty old man around her then her own girlfriend.  Lets face it, Faye is the only one really able to call her on her shit because Faye is the only one that could and would be more violent the Dora, but at least Faye has made an honest attempt (in the comics I've read) to fix her shit.  Is Dora even going to therapy anymore? 

I admit, it's only a comic character, but Dora is written in such a way that she can't stand it when other people are happy.

T

Dora snapped! And I have the perfect music for that! http://grooveshark.com/s/24hours+OPEN/4RscZg

Stoon

Just because someone is family doesn't mean you have to love them or deal with them for the rest of your life.

Well, I did deal with my mother until she died, but I didn't love her.  The emotion I felt when she died was relief, and the song that kept going through my head after she died was "Ding Dong The Witch is Dead." 

Now for the comic.  Today's comic took a direction I wasn't expecting.

creatureshock

• Plantmonster

I wouldn't call Dora toxic, she's someone who has not had the easiest path in life and not possessing the best idea of how her actions have consequences and tends to jump before she looks. She's had to deal with a lot of rejection in her life and so it's coloured her view of the world.
Sven, on the other hand, is a guy who has always breezed through life, been the "perfect" older sibling to Dora (perfect in the sense that he could do no wrong), writes crap country-music songs but still makes money off them and felt that Faye should have reciprocated when he announced that he loved her, despite the fact that his own actions caused the dissolution of his relationship with Faye and, more importantly, she is now in a relationship with another person. This is probably the first time he's been rejected and he can't actually deal with it. Add onto that his encounters with the other members of the cast (save for Hanners), the guy is a manipulator, a very toxic kind of person.

Sven was clearly the golden child outside the family.  From the few comics that their parents appeared in, neither was treated as a golden child inside the family.  Yeah, things came easy for him, but that doesn't make him toxic.  He has grown as a character, Dora hasn't to me.  And I wouldn't call him a manipulator.  You can't manipulate the willing.  Woman willingly wants to sleep with him, unless he convinces her to do something she would never do, she is willingly a one night stand.  If that is the relationship she is willing to have with him, and he is ok with it, there is no manipulation what so ever.  Hell, he did find a woman he fell in love with, Faye, because she put him in his place and still had sex with him.  He was not used to be a sub and treated like one, and she did.  He liked it, but fucked up the relationship.  Sven _IS_ a fuck up.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It finally took him having enough of it to break it off with her.
It should be pointed out, even if it was prompted by him finally standing up to her, she's the one who broke it off with him.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

Dora's reaction is appropriate for how he's currently acting; it's just that he's lost several levels in character development:

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1747
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1768

creatureshock

• Plantmonster

It finally took him having enough of it to break it off with her.
It should be pointed out, even if it was prompted by him finally standing up to her, she's the one who broke it off with him.

Ah, my mistake.

Nyithra

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

I don't think, of all people on the cast, Dora has any right to be calling anyone 'toxic'. At any rate, I would think that Sven is more being an idiot in this case than toxic. Is her anger really justified anyway? Yeah Sven did wrong her friend, but I'm pretty sure Faye can handle that on her own. He didn't do anything to her directly.
Follow your heart, but when your heart starts to shit all over your life, follow your brain.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1768

Wait, that doesn't make sense!  An object in orbit can only be seen at dawn and dusk, otherwise its either in the earth's shadow or is overwhelmed by the sun.  Unless it's big and far away like the moon...

I wonder what Marten orders in this scenario.  Maybe something decaf to take the edge of the crazy?

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

Is her anger really justified anyway? Yeah Sven did wrong her friend, but I'm pretty sure Faye can handle that on her own. He didn't do anything to her directly.

My thoughts exactly.  Dora's just being dramatic and making it all about her, which is extremely annoying.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up