Marten Mainly Mumbles Methodiclly
Steve Swallows Serially
Battling Bianchi Battlezone
Tai Terrorizes Tall Twin
Jeph Jacques Japes
Waffling Waffles Wander Wonderingly
Butts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2796-2800 (22-26 September 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 155337 times)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I rather think in the lines of the wedding cuddle, or Faye trying to get those two over their "professional relationship" inhibitions, either failing miserably or successfully, and we don't know which of those it'll be until next Tuesday, because Monday will be Steve's adventures with his year's free worth of cereal.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Maybe they'll both puke on him this time.

This.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

What, we're done with the bar -already-? I was expecting a  lot more...

What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

The crazier antics always happen at the after-party anyhow.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Done with the bar, but not the drunken drama!

Also can I say just how cute Dora and Tai look here. ^_^

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Uhoh, they're about to uncork The Emergency Bourbon

This will not end well.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

The Emergency Bourbon is what they have at CoD for emergencies. This is probably more of a Secret Bourbon.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Everything that happened so far is all part of a complex plan made by pintsize to see if he can give Marten a puke fetish.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

Now I wanna write a story where people can only exist if they've been drinking. Or perhaps drinking sends people to an alternate universe, I dunno.
My buddy ran a game a little bit like that.  It was set in a city you could only enter by staying away long enough and wanting something enough to do anything to get it.  It was a surreal nightmarish place, where everyone had at least mild sleep-deprivation madness.

Don't Rest Your Head, I suppose.

What made it better was that we played it at 2:30 AM. 

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.  Judging by the lack of "drunk bubbles", both Dora and Claire are sober.  Don't know if this is significant or not. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Claire is not drunk. No drunk bubbles. Claire should be wary of Faye by now, so I do not really expect her to come along.

Faye has been really adorable in this bar sequence. Reminds me of good old days. Perhaps a bit direct towards Claire, but I guess she has a plan. She is tired of all the hidden feelings, and wants to shake up things. For better or worse. I guess she is going to succeed spectacularly.

There will also be confession time, I guess. Faye will let out all her anxieties regarding her relationship with Angus. Marten will tell about his lack of success in life. Both will get spectacularly drunk.

Fortunately, Sven did not appear :mrgreen:

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.  Judging by the lack of "drunk bubbles", both Dora and Claire are sober.  Don't know if this is significant or not.
Dora may have to open the shop, which IIRC, is around 0700, so she'd probably need to be there a half hour earlier.  More than that if she has to do some roasting in the Spider Zone.  And Claire has either been taking it easy (thus far), or truly *has* Awakened into boozing.  She looks like the sort who might have a hollow leg to put the stuff in.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I noticed that, but Claire already felt safe enough around Marten to drink a little bit if you remember the wedding, so maybe she'll drink some of the secret bourbon. From what we've seen she doesn't drink normally, so she probably doesn't have much tolerance. So lap barfing might still be a possibility.

I have no idea why I wrote all this, because that lap barfing reference was just a joke.

And yes, Faye was absolutely great in her happy moments ("I like this bar!").

Hedgie: If you remember Clinton's reaction, I'd say it's pretty sure that Claire isn't the person to drink. Definitely not in a bar. Maybe she's more willing at Marten and Faye's place.

Edit: And I just realised how incredibly creepy that sounds. It sounds like I would want Claire to get drunk and do something stupid. Please note that that is not what I meant.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Claire should be wary of Faye by now, so I do not really expect her to come along.

After being accused of following Marten around like a puppy it'd make sense for her not to.

But if she doesn't I'll be pretty disappointed because that would be the most anticlimactic thing ever.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Faye is my spirit animal.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Everything that happened so far is all part of a complex plan made by pintsize to see if he can give Marten a puke fetish.

What's disturbing about that idea is how much sense it makes.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

So...are the comics not showing up for anyone else? Specifically any comic before today's? I just get blank blue pages or constant loading tabs. >.>

Edit: nevermind, apparently they're just loading really, really slowly for some reason. Strange.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

Cake batter seems more likely.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Hedgie: If you remember Clinton's reaction, I'd say it's pretty sure that Claire isn't the person to drink. Definitely not in a bar. Maybe she's more willing at Marten and Faye's place.

Edit: And I just realised how incredibly creepy that sounds. It sounds like I would want Claire to get drunk and do something stupid. Please note that that is not what I meant.
Well, maybe *that* bar.  If the kind of place where stools had to be fastened down, I'd have to have someone like Faye for backup, myself, and would certainly moderate more.  Or maybe her tolerance magically has increased, hence the hypothetical "hollow leg".

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

You'd be happy to see Claire do something sensibly stupid. Like maybe getting a tattoo (still small and tasteful, knowing her), or her ears pierced a second time (we are talking about a woman who doesn't push her inhibitions too far, for obvious reasons (at least to Clinton, Marten and Emily). A second set of studs or rings in her ears would probably be some crazy shit).
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

Claire is not drunk. No drunk bubbles. Claire should be wary of Faye by now, so I do not really expect her to come along.
I don't feel I know Claire well enough to guess whether or not she'll take that risk. It will be interesting to find out.

There will also be confession time, I guess. Faye will let out all her anxieties regarding her relationship with Angus. Marten will tell about his lack of success in life. Both will get spectacularly drunk.
...and Claire might get discussed in her absence. Though if Marten is remotely interested,  he's hiding his cards well.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Or she will be discussed while everyone forgets she is standing right there to the left of the camera.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Or she will be discussed while everyone forgets she is standing right there to the left of the camera.

Those are the best discussions to listen in on.

Just one thing though - where's Hannelore?  She was at the bar earlier, but not now, seemingly.  Is she off camera, did she decide to go home early, is she still inside, or (cue ominous music) did she leave with someone else?
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

It would make sense for Hannelore to walk home with Marten and Faye since they live in the same building. But that could have made any Marten-Faye-Claire interactions awkward, from a dramatic standpoint. So maybe Jeph made Hannelore go home early because she had to organize her cleaning supplies, or clean her organizing supplies, or something.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

One of them other than reveals to the other(s) about their "secret", and in retaliation, the other(s) do likewise.

Example: Marten blurts out that Sven still has the hots for Faye. Faye retorts by saying that Claire has the hots for Marten. And in a bit of drunken stupidity, Marten "outs" Claire.

Goddamn it, I better not be right.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

You won't be. I just don't believe Jeph would do that.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Jeph has LONG said Claire's status wouldn't be used in that kind of manner.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ChrisSayer

• Not quite a lurker

Yep.  But that doesn't mean he won't address Claire's challenges, given her unique context. 

Knowing how artfully, and carefully, he's presented Claire so far, I trust that he won't be afraid to tell her story, wherever that leads her.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing things develop.  Jeph's got the chops, the smarts, and nowadays, the budget to do this right.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

No, Claire outs herself.
Just another Joe like 46

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

Whatever bad things are still to come, they dodged quite a bullet there now that they've left the bar and ended the possibility of an awkward encounter with Sven, who iirc is a regular at THR.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I don't think they were at THR. The decor doesn't match, and they don't apparently have a dart board.
Just another Joe like 46

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Just one thing though - where's Hannelore?  She was at the bar earlier, but not now, seemingly.  Is she off camera, did she decide to go home early, is she still inside, or (cue ominous music) did she leave with someone else?
Hopefully, she did not leave with the Blood Fukk man. Although he is probably quite harmless. Steve is another possibility. But I agree, it would be natural for her to wait for Faye and Marten to walk home. She may be waiting just off camera, perhaps talking to Sven who happened to walk by?

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Hanners can't leave until the bar is spotless.

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

Did Dora have an accident with the chin sharpener?

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Of course, Hanners has means of transportation not available to the others, so I guess she can suddenly be gone. Her friends are used to it, so they make no fuss about it.

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish

Oh god that 4th panel, the last two bubbles are EXACTLY what happened at my birthday party last week, I'm still trying to repair the social damage (and damage to my house, garage is a mess). I really should stop drinking spirits, they go down waaayyyyy too easy.
Hurp

Smallest

• Curry sauce

I was just noticing that.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Yep.  But that doesn't mean he won't address Claire's challenges, given her unique context. 

Knowing how artfully, and carefully, he's presented Claire so far, I trust that he won't be afraid to tell her story, wherever that leads her.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing things develop.  Jeph's got the chops, the smarts, and nowadays, the budget to do this right.

Notice I didn't SAY that. cesario presented a situation wherein Claire would be used more or less as a punch line, reduced to a stereotype. Jeph has not done this so far, and will, with any luck not do so now, and I would venture to say for Herr Trollmaster, would not do so intentionally in any context in the first place. This doesn't mean her story won't be told, especially as she seems like the intern most likely to join the main cast just on screen time alone.

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.

I already considered Emily and Claire at least semi-main cast since the just after the house party and the wedding arcs respectively. Although that could just be wishful thinking on my part.
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

So...are the comics not showing up for anyone else? Specifically any comic before today's? I just get blank blue pages or constant loading tabs. >.>

Edit: nevermind, apparently they're just loading really, really slowly for some reason. Strange.

I was seeing the same thing. optimize.indieclicks.com was having a problem, and your browser didn't want to display the page until it had timed out. (No relation to indietits.) Seems better now.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

So Claire's still not drinking? Interesting. But aww at hair scratchies :wow:
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

cutecutecutecutecutecutecutecutecute! cute!

cute

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Faye's reading more into this than she should. 

That's one mistake. 

More are about to be made, methinks! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I called already, but I'll do it again: Tomorrow is definitely going to be a cliffhanger.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I can't even figure out Claire's expression there.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

She's melting  :-D

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that at least now she might crush for Marten.  :roll:

But headscratches doesn't mean anything. There's a woman at our hackerspace who headscratches anyone. It's nice. Everybody should get their head scratched every once in a while.
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2014, 18:29 by ankhtahr »

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

and I would venture to say for Herr Trollmaster,

Just because I suggest a possible plot point doesn't give you the right to call me names.

I can't even figure out Claire's expression there.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nyoron

RaineThing

• Plantmonster

Ahhh her face in panel 4, so cute!
SO FLUFFY!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up