THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 07:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now for something completely different: What happened to Mays hand?

Too much cake-mix
May got too excited with Pintsize
May had a nasty meet-up with Yelling Bird
SOMEONE had to clean up Dale's bed!
The obligatory reference to synthetic ham
MAY IS MELTING FROM ALL THE SQUEE
May found Marigolds stache of sexy dude pictures
butts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2801-2805 (29th September - 3rd October) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 224922 times)

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB

This is pretty awesome you guys.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

So, I'm good with them calling it a night here!  I'd expect Marten to get a pillow and a blanket for her on the couch (presuming it's after midnight and it's probably safer for her to crash there than for Marten to walk her home), then the two of them get breakfast and talk tomorrow.
Marten's way too much of a gentleman to let her sleep on the couch, he'd be the one sleeping on the couch. But, yes, that is an excellent idea.

What falsehoods? Not saying there aren't any, just that I can't remember them off the top of my head. But yes, I think he's genuinely interested.
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1818

But the not-dating-Emily part? Not sure I agree. I mean, it was never really settled that she was interested in him to begin with, first off, so it's not likely that he's told her that he isn't interested, much less his reasoning. Of course, that could be the other shoe dropping -- Emily deciding to clear the air within earshot of Claire, and some kind of drama ensuing as a result.
Oh, I don't think Emily's been told, either, Marten's plan so far appears to be to just lay low and hope Emily actually isn't interested.

reicreature

• Larger than most fish

aaaaauuuughhhh
mah heart!  :psyduck:
This whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I have a habit of picturing everything that I hear or read and now I see you dressed as a clown watching me from my balcony door WHICH IS GENUINELY TERRIFYING!

Do not look up SCPs then. (I'm not kidding, don't. Maybe after you slept. Those things are terribly nightmare inducing. For more (relatively safe) information look into the SCP thread in Enjoy. Tomorrow. After sleeping.)
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

What falsehoods? Not saying there aren't any, just that I can't remember them off the top of my head. But yes, I think he's genuinely interested.
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1818

I'd forgotten that, but I read it more as Marten being uncharacteristically asshole-ish than outright dishonest.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

ASB84

I haven't been following this forum much lately, and only jumped on because of the last week's shenanigans, so forgive me if I'm bringing up a topic that's already been discussed...but has anyone brought up what Clinton's reaction would be if Marten and Claire became a thing??? It just hit me that Mr. Overprotective Big Brother would likely have some strong feelings on the matter, one way or the other.

I think Clinton overreacting is a given but before Marten could act on it, Claire would have already put Clinton in his place.

I've been wondering about that too, and anticipating some kind of caustic reaction. And of course, that would be understandable, because it does come down to Clinton being a great brother who cares about his sister and doesn't want to see her get hurt.

Of course, Clinton also seems to be a poor judge of character, what with his initial reaction to Claire telling Marten about herself and remark about Marten "not (being) such a bad guy after all". I can't see how someone would get that vibe from Marten, but I suppose that goes back to his concerns for his sister.

Still, I remember reading that strip and thinking...really, dude? You were incredibly creepy when we first met you, going way over the line more than once, and you've got it in your head that Marten's a bad guy? Again, I guess it's just the protectiveness kicking in, but man...glass houses, Clinton.

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish
Hurp

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I'd forgotten that, but I read it more as Marten being uncharacteristically asshole-ish than outright dishonest.
But it's not really an "in vino, veritas", really, it's not who he really is, and not what he really wants to do.

Of course, Clinton also seems to be a poor judge of character, what with his initial reaction to Claire telling Marten about herself and remark about Marten "not (being) such a bad guy after all". I can't see how someone would get that vibe from Marten, but I suppose that goes back to his concerns for his sister.

Still, I remember reading that strip and thinking...really, dude? You were incredibly creepy when we first met you, going way over the line more than once, and you've got it in your head that Marten's a bad guy? Again, I guess it's just the protectiveness kicking in, but man...glass houses, Clinton.
One thing worth noting is how Clinton and Marten's first encounter went, though, from Clinton's perspective. Sure, Clinton was incredibly creepy. But, from Clinton's POV, Marten was abusive towards him (from everyone else's POV, rightfully so, but not Clinton's).

Aquaisces

• Plantmonster
  • It's an Earthship
If I learn to levitate, can I also fly?

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Sinking ship? Nah, not at all.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish

I was seeing this more of her brother thinking all guys are asses and Marten proving he wasn't, plus the whole "he wasn't a dick about it" thing was probably due to the reaction she might have gotten from others she told.

Sinking ship? Nah, not at all.
Not sinking, half out of the water, half in, alive but needs help.
Hurp

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

(this thread has the dynamics of an IRC channel)

CUBErt

• Not quite a lurker
  • :V

Read Friday's comic and my first thought was "This is too good something is going to go horribly horribly wrong."

Read today's comic and I'm pleasantly surprised. This should be an interesting week (or two).
Plays Minecraft and eats chocolate mhmm mhmm.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I don't think it's sinking at all, I think Claire just stopped the engines and deployed the anchor for now, because the weather conditions don't look good if she continues right now.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

So in fact, she's protecting the ship from damage!

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

I have a habit of picturing everything that I hear or read and now I see you dressed as a clown watching me from my balcony door WHICH IS GENUINELY TERRIFYING!

Really? 

Then you definitely should not open this spoiler. 
(click to show/hide)

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

(click to show/hide)

It should be noted that wherever you are there's always a spider within five feet.

So, all of those.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

Fun fact:  Arachnophobia is often thought to mean the irrational fear of spiders.  This is false.  All fear of spiders is rational. 

/\/\8o;;o8/\/\

reicreature

• Larger than most fish

As a complete aside. I wonder if Claire and Clinton are GWS Clarice's cousin.

... yes I like crossovers and Hazel's "All New Issues" Cousin is on hiatus...
This whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

TheEvilDog

I'm calling this:

http://somethingpositive.net/sp02132004.shtml

LOOK! IT'S NO ONE'S FAULT IF JIM IS TOO BUSY GOING OUT WITH VERONICA TO MAKE THOSE CHEESECAKES! AND THEY ARE REALLY, REALLY TOUGH TO MAKE JUST RIGHT!

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

You should SEE the low-boil shitstorm brewing for weeks on /co/.

JESUS CHRIST why did I read that thread?

Damnit, I only have so much time for my 4chan Redemption project, I can't go taking on fucking /co/ too.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Sleeping kittens radiating comfort and sleepiness.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

Regarding the poll options: Wouldn't it be a hell of a joke on all of us if Tortura was actually Sara? The scar could've come from fighting off the allosaurus, which was in turn part of her deep cover...

Yeah, I know, it's a stretch. As you were.

Nah, if Tortura's true identity is a joke, it will be that she's actually Hannelore's half sister, the product of some liason between Hannerdad and a Russian scientist before he was married.  It would fit in with Hanners paranoid imaginings about her evil identical twin/clone. http://www.questionablecontent.net/1662

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I'd enjoy seeing Hannelore form a friendship with Claire like she has with Marigold. They have quite a bit in common and Hannelore can explain Marten to her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Also it's interesting watching my shitty /co/usins saying stuff like "can't wait for the SJW backlash" over this.

p.s. cuddles plz

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Yay Claire and meaningful consent. ^_^

ElsaStegosaurus

• Not quite a lurker

Pretty awesome, was actually hoping something like this might happen.  Consent is sexy.  Marten is super chill and not pushing anything, but some level of attraction seems to be there (though Marten might over-think things when he sobers, I hope not).  Ship is just waiting for calmer waters.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Yay Claire and meaningful consent. ^_^

^___^

Consent is sexy.

Correction: Consent is obligatory.
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

and therefore sexy by necessity, right?
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2014, 21:44 by Smashwidget »

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Also it's interesting watching my shitty /co/usins saying stuff like "can't wait for the SJW backlash" over this.

p.s. cuddles plz

Burn it all to ashes, and then burn the ashes. Seriously, nothing good comes of reading 4chan.

Thedrd0nna

• Plantmonster
  • Not actually a doctor

Consent is sexy.

I might argue that the two are not mutually exclusive.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

I... this strip. Cute, aye. Disappointing, mildly... Definitely reasonable. Sinking ship? Not really. They're definitely both into each other. I... kind of want to see what happens next. This isn't a resolution. It's gonna be a long week.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

(though Marten might over-think things when he sobers, I hope not). 

This is Marten we're talking about.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Anybody else get the feeling that this will be derailed temporarily, only to be rekindled somewhere around #3,000?

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

(though Marten might over-think things when he sobers, I hope not). 

This is Marten we're talking about.
Hopefully Claire's decision to stall the ship will help mitigate that.

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.

(click to show/hide)
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

I'm impressed with Claire here.  That was not an easy moment at which to think rationally and exercise self-control. 

And Marten is definitely flirting now.

They're both overthinking types, so I expect they'll have an anxiety-ridden conversation about this when they're both sober, but I also expect it to be a pretty positive one.

And now I can stop imagining some horrible scenario in which they make out and then the next morning Marty regrets it or doesn't remember it and Claire is devastated.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I'm impressed with Claire here.  That was not an easy moment at which to think rationally and exercise self-control. 
Although I think it's actually her overthinking that saved her, here...

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I sense a tingling in The Force.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

Although I think it's actually her overthinking that saved her, here...
You could say that Claire is good at just plain thinking, but sometimes does it to excess.  :-)

DrClef

• Plantmonster

So people are all like, "Aww, that sucks that Claire is being cautious but it's great that she's waiting for consent."

I was just thinking it was kinda nice that Marten's the same. . . except that given who his mom is, he's probably gotten the whole, "SAFE SANE CONSENSUAL" lecture a lot. . . even when he didn't want it.

God, I can't believe I registered just to comment on this non-event. :T

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Claire: cute and clever :)

And Marten: good man. Just because you're drunk, it's no excuse to go too far.

I still think this is going to end up massively awkward for them. But Marten is not stupid-drunk, and made a rational decision. Who knows? :)
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

TheEvilDog

I sense a tingling in The Force.
I sense a presence returning!

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Alcohol plays a central part here. We could have a discussion about the pros and cons of alcohol consumption, but I guess this better belongs in another discussion thread. The important fact is that Claire is very afraid of losing control, thus she drinks very little alcohol. Marten is moderately/very drunk, and his inhibitions are obviously lowered.

The sober girl/drunk guy combination is usually not good. Claire realizes this, and slams the brakes. And I guess Marten, when sober again, will regret this (if he remembers), and continue to treat Claire as before.

Sorry shippers, the ship has not sailed yet. This was just some innocent scratching (although Claire loved it).

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

It might be worth to mention, that Marten's idea of dating an intern goes further than just dating-a-coworker-trouble. It's rather a dating-a-superior-trouble. He's afraid that it might come off as him forcing the intern into a relationship through his position of power as superior.

He is not her superior. He is a lowly unskilled helper. She is on the career track to become a librarian. She has way more status than him. Her superior must be some librarian. Marten has been given the task of showing her the ropes. He is not her boss.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Anybody else get the feeling that this will be derailed temporarily, only to be rekindled somewhere around #3,000?

If the story was a fakeout or if this ends up being drawn out I'll be pretty upset at being stringed along.

But, I think we're actually going somewhere. Marten wakes up tomorrow, obligatory week of 'Marten talks about his feelings with a friend', asks Claire out, boom, couple.

Somebody

• Curry sauce

I think he means cute as in "cute infant"* rather than "sexually attractive"...

*"Cute baby" would be more natural, but more ambiguous in-context.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I think he means cute as in "cute infant"* rather than "sexually attractive"...

*"Cute baby" would be more natural, but more ambiguous in-context.

We're not starting this crap again.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

If the story was a fakeout or if this ends up being drawn out I'll be pretty upset at being stringed along.

But, I think we're actually going somewhere. Marten wakes up tomorrow, obligatory week of 'Marten talks about his feelings with a friend', asks Claire out, boom, couple.

I hope so. But hope is a fickle thing. :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25   Go Up