THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 11:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now for something completely different: What happened to Mays hand?

Too much cake-mix
May got too excited with Pintsize
May had a nasty meet-up with Yelling Bird
SOMEONE had to clean up Dale's bed!
The obligatory reference to synthetic ham
MAY IS MELTING FROM ALL THE SQUEE
May found Marigolds stache of sexy dude pictures
butts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2801-2805 (29th September - 3rd October) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 225175 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

How about all three? 

It's life, everything crashes and burns sooner or later. It helps if you imagine James Taylor playing Fire And Rain, somehow lessens the impact.

FYP   :-D :roll:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish

This better not crash and burn!
The odds are stacked against this particular vessel, we must not give up hope though!
Hurp

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I just noticed something from Friday: Marten made the move to snuggle. Claire was satisfied just having her hair massaged; Marten pulled her in for the cuddle/back scratch.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

Cue wailing and gnashing of teeth in:

Meanwhile I'm just going to sit here and giggle at the dashed hopes.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Can't see Monday's comic yet, but the text under it is "ARGH", which I think is a bad sign.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Comic title is "Cooler Heads", so...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

...Faye dumps a cooler full of ice on their heads?

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

Good for Claire.  Hope it pays dividends for her down the road.

Thedrd0nna

• Plantmonster
  • Not actually a doctor

Ah, so that's what it feels like to have my brain melt. Wonderful, wonderful.

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS

This is my reaction to seeing Monday's comic:

http://i.imgur.com/Ou6be3R.png

(shirt relevant)

Comic Strip Critic

• Not quite a lurker
  • I read the funny pages in search of awesome.
    • My YouTube Page!

If you cock your head and listen closely, you can hear my anguished cry of pain.

WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

...well, I guess it could still happen. Marten did call her cute, and there is definitely some attraction there that needs to be talked about later.
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2014, 19:45 by Comic Strip Critic »
I talk about comic strips and webcomics on the Internet.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Yeah, it looks like there's attraction there, the question is how Marten will act when he's sober...

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

On one hand, nooooo!

On the other hand

Thedrd0nna

• Plantmonster
  • Not actually a doctor

Dinosaur evolves into chicken, is eaten by Marten and Faye.

Did they kill it with a fireball? (Obscure references, woooo)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Aww. :(

But, I do have a feeling that it's not just the alcohol talking, there.

McFace

• Plantmonster
  • Myes rather!

Okay okay okay okay okay.

It's fine. It's okay. It's not bad.

The last panel gives me hope of real things happening.

Maybe we can get a goodnight kiss on the cheek? Pwease?

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

This makes me sure that Marten meant something with it, and didn't just go with what felt right. Claire is sober and very cautious because of it, and that's cool and understandable. She's shown definite signs of interest as well. I'd say it's all up to sober Marten tomorrow.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Grismandir

• Not quite a lurker

Welp... the alcohol may be lowering his inhibitions, but I think the case for "Marten is in fact attracted to Claire" just got a whole bunch clearer.

And although I think she's making the right decision (drunk Marten hookup would probably be a mistake... probably), I couldn't help yelling "Dammit Claire stop being reasonable!" at the monitor.

Or at least quietly muttering at my monitor. I already get some weird looks from my neighbors, I don't need to add fuel to their suspicions.

Thedrd0nna

• Plantmonster
  • Not actually a doctor

This is my reaction to seeing Monday's comic:

http://i.imgur.com/Ou6be3R.png

(shirt relevant)

This is mine:
http://imgur.com/BFQJMbu

(Sans therapy boobs, sadly)

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

No one said no.  Just not right now.Our Benevolent Comic Overlord may be stringing us along.  1:1 odds of a Friday Kiss Comic.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

That's alright... it's only Monday, and still early in the arc.

Claire's face in the last panel is adorable, though.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

st08

• Not quite a lurker

(disengage lurk mode)

Well, Claire, as they say "in vino, veritas." At least Marten is sending signals instead of being 100% passive.

Fear not shippers, this may end well yet.

Nyithra

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

This is still adorable and I think pretty well establishes that there's something going on between these two.
Follow your heart, but when your heart starts to shit all over your life, follow your brain.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

So close, no matter how faaaaaar

Carl-E

• Awakened

No worries, there's still plenty of time for mistakes to be made in the cold and sober light of day. 

No, I'm not saying Marten and Claire would necessarily be a mistake.  Just that, no mater what happens in life, mistakes will be made! 

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

"In vino, veritas" is bullshit, though. Sure, some truths come out that wouldn't otherwise, but also some falsehoods come out (and we know damn well how that works with Marten).

But, really, he didn't get raging drunk, he seems in control of his faculties... I think he is interested in Claire.

One thing I do worry about... after Claire sleeps on this, her anxieties may have a chance to flare up. And, she may hide behind the "OK, that was a mistake, we work together, this isn't professional" excuse. Especially if she finds out that he's using that same excuse for not dating Emily (when it's actually a case of him not wanting to date Emily)...

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Masterpiece: Why u awake?

Anyway, this hives me a really positive outlook. Comparable to Tai's "that's why I'm absolutely crazy about you", but even clearer, because both parties have shown their interest.

Let's hope one of them talks to Tai, so she gives them some of her "Waiting's for suckers!" attitude.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé

Ya know, we hit page 2 before the comic was even up.  If the ship makes it out of the harbor, we could hit like 50 pages by the end of the week. 

On a more related note, I noticed she isn't standing up to leave yet.   :wink:

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Ankh, I could ask you the same question.

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS

I haven't been following this forum much lately, and only jumped on because of the last week's shenanigans, so forgive me if I'm bringing up a topic that's already been discussed...but has anyone brought up what Clinton's reaction would be if Marten and Claire became a thing??? It just hit me that Mr. Overprotective Big Brother would likely have some strong feelings on the matter, one way or the other.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I haven't been following this forum much lately, and only jumped on because of the last week's shenanigans, so forgive me if I'm bringing up a topic that's already been discussed...but has anyone brought up what Clinton's reaction would be if Marten and Claire became a thing??? It just hit me that Mr. Overprotective Big Brother would likely have some strong feelings on the matter, one way or the other.

I think Clinton overreacting is a given but before Marten could act on it, Claire would have already put Clinton in his place.

Comic Strip Critic

• Not quite a lurker
  • I read the funny pages in search of awesome.
    • My YouTube Page!

One thing I do worry about... after Claire sleeps on this, her anxieties may have a chance to flare up. And, she may hide behind the "OK, that was a mistake, we work together, this isn't professional" excuse. Especially if she finds out that he's using that same excuse for not dating Emily (when it's actually a case of him not wanting to date Emily)...

No...NO! Stop making so much sense! It hurts too much!

Personally, I'm hoping that they decide to try for a relationship, and take it on a long, slow burn. All of Marten's past relationships and one-night stands (Dora, Padma, Delilah) have been very "suddenly-jump-in-the-deep-end". Perhaps taking things slower will be better for him.
I talk about comic strips and webcomics on the Internet.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I just woke up. I went to bed at 20:00.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé

Personally, I'm hoping that they decide to try for a relationship, and take it on a long, slow burn. All of Marten's past relationships and one-night stands (Dora, Padma, Delilah) have been very "suddenly-jump-in-the-deep-end". Perhaps taking things slower will be better for him.

Huh.  I hadn't thought of that.  I don't know how much of the Dora-Marten breakup had to do with the suddenness of Dora smooches, but it is a suspiciously common factor in his relationships thus far.  Then again, the creation of webcomic drama is also a suspiciously common factor as well. 

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I can't sleep.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Masterpiece: That sucks, man.

Huh.  I hadn't thought of that.  I don't know how much of the Dora-Marten breakup had to do with the suddenness of Dora smooches, but it is a suspiciously common factor in his relationships thus far.  Then again, the creation of webcomic drama is also a suspiciously common factor as well.

The suddenness had a large impact on Marten and Dora. Dora never could get rid of the anxieties that Marten just went for Dora because he couldn't get Faye. It's why they broke up in the end.

Starting a little slower might be a great way to avoid that kind of drama.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé

Masterpiece: That sucks, man.

The suddenness had a large impact on Marten and Dora. Dora never could get rid of the anxieties that Marten just went for Dora because he couldn't get Faye. It's why they broke up in the end.

Starting a little slower might be a great way to avoid that kind of drama.

Remember, though, she had plenty of insecurities from before.  Sven mentioned Dora's terrible past relationships, and Dora mentioned Sven banging her friends. 

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

THAT WAS PERFECT.

Perfect perfect perfect. For all the haters, for all the shitposters on 4chan who love to bash on Jeph, he has them all hooked hard. You should SEE the low-boil shitstorm brewing for weeks on /co/. The screams of anguish of the basement-dwelling neckbeards is sweet sweet music to my ears.

WELL PLAYED SIR.
SQUEEZE BOX

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I can't sleep.
Clowns will eat you?

I like to think Claire looked up and saw the drunk bubbles, which is what led her to call it off.

As for Claire/Marten...I dunno. It might work. It might not. (shrugs)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Orkboy

• Beyoncé

I can't sleep.
Clowns will eat you?

I like to think Claire looked up and saw the drunk bubbles, which is what led her to call it off.

As for Claire/Marten...I dunno. It might work. It might not. (shrugs)
I hope it does.  They both deserve it. 

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

4chan reads qcverse?

I can't sleep.
Clowns will eat you?

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

TheEvilDog

That being said, his one night stand with Delilah (why, why, why) was more about he wanted to get out of a funk and perhaps have some fun by just having a one night stand. It wasn't so much jumping in the deep end as it was cannonballing off the jump board for once in his life.

Dang it, extra posts.

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!

I'm pretty happy and satisfied with this!

At this point, there's really not much room for other interpretation - both parties seem to be interested in being more than friends.  Marten may be drunk, but I'd agree with his assessment that he's "a little" drunk.  No slurring, no staggering, no tequila monster, no visual cues like lines under his eyes, just drunk bubbles.  I'd wager he's pleasantly buzzed, but still completely in control of his faculties and is acting on actual desires.  As for Claire, I think Faye may have just given a little nudge to something already there.  As careful as she has to be in relationships (platonic or otherwise), she's not going to go off of impulse - if she's sitting on his couch, inches from kissing, she has to trust him implicitly and really want to be more than friends.  Plus, she's as sober as a priest.

So, I'm good with them calling it a night here!  I'd expect Marten to get a pillow and a blanket for her on the couch (presuming it's after midnight and it's probably safer for her to crash there than for Marten to walk her home), then the two of them get breakfast and talk tomorrow.  I look forward to watching the story unfold this week!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

4chan reads qcverse?

Apparently /co/ does. With the same amount of hatred and bigotry to be expected from those assholes.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I figured whatever was keeping you up will seem not so bad compared to that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

"In vino, veritas" is bullshit, though. Sure, some truths come out that wouldn't otherwise, but also some falsehoods come out (and we know damn well how that works with Marten).

But, really, he didn't get raging drunk, he seems in control of his faculties... I think he is interested in Claire.

What falsehoods? Not saying there aren't any, just that I can't remember them off the top of my head. But yes, I think he's genuinely interested.

Regarding the second half: however this goes, I think there'll be anxiety for both of them; Marten will probably worry about how he'll be perceived for dating a coworker, and Claire's anxiety is canon (added to the fact that, by her own admission, she hasn't really been involved with anybody up to this point). But the not-dating-Emily part? Not sure I agree. I mean, it was never really settled that she was interested in him to begin with, first off, so it's not likely that he's told her that he isn't interested, much less his reasoning. Of course, that could be the other shoe dropping -- Emily deciding to clear the air within earshot of Claire, and some kind of drama ensuing as a result.

ETA: 4chan is a shithole. 'Nuff said.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Carl-E

• Awakened

I can't sleep.

You're online  ===>  You're not really trying. 

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I figured whatever was keeping you up will seem not so bad compared to that.
I have a habit of picturing everything that I hear or read and now I see you dressed as a clown watching me from my balcony door WHICH IS GENUINELY TERRIFYING!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

It might be worth to mention, that Marten's idea of dating an intern goes further than just dating-a-coworker-trouble. It's rather a dating-a-superior-trouble. He's afraid that it might come off as him forcing the intern into a relationship through his position of power as superior.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I have a habit of picturing everything that I hear or read
Ok then...puppies :wow: :wow:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25   Go Up