THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 22:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now for something completely different: What happened to Mays hand?

Too much cake-mix
May got too excited with Pintsize
May had a nasty meet-up with Yelling Bird
SOMEONE had to clean up Dale's bed!
The obligatory reference to synthetic ham
MAY IS MELTING FROM ALL THE SQUEE
May found Marigolds stache of sexy dude pictures
butts

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2801-2805 (29th September - 3rd October) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 225681 times)

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Well, it's built into the counter (just two hotplates, no oven), which is built on top of the cabinet, which is bolted to the wall. There is no way to fix that without ripping the whole kitchen apart.

You just have to adjust the building them

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I could cook, but it sucks cooking for one, so I don't.
cook for two then eat both.
That's pretty much what I do. I make enough for four meals, then end up eating the same thing for two days...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

That's pretty much what I do. I make enough for four meals, then end up eating the same thing for two days...

This made me lol, then it made me sad, because I often do the same and am fat.

Note: I'm not really fat, but I could lose some weight. Also my eating habits are about as fucked as my sleep schedule (and I'm writing this at 05:24 in the morning…).
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

grouchygizmo

• Plantmonster

Huh. Picking up her mobile? Not so cool in my book, but maybe Claire's fine with that.

I don't care if anybody picks up my phone when it rings. Usually my mom does that, just so I don't lose the call, and then brings the phone to me. But to each its own!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Lose the call? Wouldn't it show up as a missed call and possibly a voicemail?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Quote from: Clairemom
... what are you doing right now?... she talks about you all the time.

Marten is so in the clear. He was going to get invited even before he mentioned going to a diner.
Mistakes, ahoy!

grouchygizmo

• Plantmonster

Lose the call? Wouldn't it show up as a missed call and possibly a voicemail?

Mom's brain works differently than others. She doesn't even have a cell phone, so she thinks that if someone calls me on mine I might lose the call. Like it's a land-line. Sorry, I should have explained better.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Hmm. I nearly called this one.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Meanwhile, Marten's munching down on pancakes.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Septentrional

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Jeph really missed a golden opportunity to include a goofy picture of Marten's face as the caller ID for maximum cuteness.

(Long-time reader of the comic and lurker of the forums. Finally registering because Claire has been my favorite character since her introduction and I need an outlet for discussing her punny bibliophile ways.) :claireface:

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I like Claire's ringtone.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

Marten's all like "Mmm-mmmm. That is a tasty pancake! Claire, ever had your mom's pancakes? Wanna bite? They're real tasty."

st08

• Not quite a lurker

Wow. Good for Marten for just calling Claire first thing the next morning. Did not see that one coming, especially after his "I need pancakes before …"

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I love that basically no lifechanging things happened, and we somehow managed around 20 pages of WCDT with speculation and mostly pancakes.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

On a semi-related note, I think Claire's pupils are about to slam shut.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Those are clearly tasty pancakes. That is the face of a man in Pancake-halla.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Thedrd0nna

• Plantmonster
  • Not actually a doctor

I can't figure Marten's expression/attitude here. He looks totally chill, which I wouldn't expect regardless of whether he was planning to brush her off or try to pursue her. Mystery!

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Yaaaay comic.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Rereading the strip I noticed that Clairemom used basically the only method which would have worked to convince me to accept that breakfast. Not allowing to retort.

She said that it wouldn't be trouble, told him the address, told him to come and ended the call basically without taking a breath.

If I could argue, I'd most definitely deny, even if only to not be a hassle. But setting me up would just make me resign and accept my fate. Marten being such a pushover that was just the right method to invite him.

Also: I should go to sleep, my English grammar is worsening.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

By the way, nice little place Claire & family live in, just northwest of the Smif campus.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

We don't know nothing lifechanging has happened. I mean, those could be really good pancakes.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Marten's face in page 4 is great. He doesn't even care about the drama in front of him, he's just really enjoying his pancakes
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish

Did not see that one coming, especially after his "I need pancakes before …"
Yeah I thought he was going to have pancakes THEN deal with shit, but he called her before pancakes. Maybe he just wanted to meet up after pancakes.

Pancakes.
Hurp

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Hm.  Rather a lot of overbite lately.

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish

Apparently Clairemom only wears her glasses while cooking.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

I like how we spent all day today and yesterday evening wondering how Marten ended up there, and then Jeph is all "It was like this, suckas."

So, let's all speculate as to what happens next, and see if we can hit 30 pages by Monday.  I think that Claire-mom will feature heavily for a couple days as she does that polite-yet-insistent interrogation thing that parents do.  It will eventually become clear to her that there was some form of romantic drama, and she will hastily exit with a restrained, yet extremely self-satisfied smirk at the notion that she may have inadvertently played matchmaker.

And by predicting this, I guarantee that it will not happen. 

Platypodes

• Pancakes!

So Claire's mom answers Claire's cell phone, invites a boy Claire likes over for breakfast and doesn't give him a chance to say no, calls Claire downstairs out of a dead sleep without warning her that said boy is in the house, and responds to Claire's consternation by smugly telling her to eat her pancakes?  Dang.  I definitely see where Clinton learned to be pushy.

Marten's face in page 4 is great. He doesn't even care about the drama in front of him, he's just really enjoying his pancakes
I interpreted him as intently staring at his plate in order to avoid engaging in the drama in front of him.  Either way, it's funny.

Yeah I thought he was going to have pancakes THEN deal with shit, but he called her before pancakes.
Or he might have called her from the diner in the middle of his breakfast 'cause by the time he'd finished the first pancake, he'd processed things enough to know he wanted to talk to Claire.

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish

Bloody Ork scum always messing shit up god damn

Or he might have called her from the diner in the middle of his breakfast 'cause by the time he'd finished the first pancake, he'd processed things enough to know he wanted to talk to Claire.
Ahh yes that does make the sense.
Hurp

Comic Strip Critic

• Not quite a lurker
  • I read the funny pages in search of awesome.
    • My YouTube Page!

Did not see that one coming, especially after his "I need pancakes before …"
Yeah I thought he was going to have pancakes THEN deal with shit, but he called her before pancakes. Maybe he just wanted to meet up after pancakes.

Pancakes.

He still hasn't fully processed it. The moment he takes the final bite of pancake, his eyes will suddenly be as tiny as Claire's, and he realizes "Oh God what am I doing here don't panic stay calm oh crap oh crap oh crap"
I talk about comic strips and webcomics on the Internet.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

If Monday's comic was just a few panels of them silently eating their pancakes while glancing around, I'd be pretty pleased about that. Claire looking at Marten while he's looking at his pancakes. Marten looking at Claire while she's looking at hers. Clairemom seeing all of this while pretending she's really looking at a bite of pancake on her fork.

Then, just to be a little cruel, cue Clinton walking in.  :evil:
Mistakes, ahoy!

DrClef

• Plantmonster

I do note that the thin lips seem to be a shared trait among the Augustus ladies.

Re: Marten being so blase about this situation: his mom is Veronica Reed. This sort of drama is probably normal breakfast table conversation for him.

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish

Then, just to be a little cruel, cue Clinton walking in.  :evil:
Oh my god this is so evil pleeeeease have this happen.
Hurp

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

quote trimmed

That's just a bit orkish sympathetic magick of the "give me the reverse of what I predict" variety - it'll takes more than this to get the universe to change course ;-)  I'm not saying that I know what that course might be, mind, but I am liking today's strip very much :-)

T

I could cook, but it sucks cooking for one, so I don't.
cook for two then eat both.
That's why I love freezer.

Make dishes that can be frozen just fine like Curry or Stroganoff and freeze them in individual portions

Now you only need to cook some rice/get some bread/bake some potatoes and add microwave the frozen stuff.

T

I do note that the thin lips seem to be a shared trait among the Augustus ladies.

Re: Marten being so blase about this situation: his mom is Veronica Reed. This sort of drama is probably normal breakfast table conversation for him.
Based on the discussion i think that the most likely it is just Jeph's style evolution. Like how characters who had thick lips lost them or were replaced by robots that by the way all lack thick lips.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

quote trimmed

That's just a bit orkish sympathetic magick of the "give me the reverse of what I predict" variety - it'll takes more than this to get the universe to change course ;-)  I'm not saying that I know what that course might be, mind, but I am liking today's strip very much :-)

Ork magick/psykers consist of believing that something will work, and therefore it works.  Which is why red ones go faster: the mekboy who painted it thinks red paint makes it faster, so therefore red paint makes it faster.

And I believe that we can hit 30 pages by Monday, just in time for a comic in which good things to happen to Marten and Claire.  If it doesn't happen, then it's everyone else's fault for not believing harder than I was believing.

Platypodes

• Pancakes!

I just noticed the bit where Claire's mom says, "I was just about to get her up," as if she's in the general habit of waking Claire up in the morning--she really hasn't grasped the concept that her daughter is 26 years old, has she?

neurocase

• Furry furrier

I just noticed the bit where Claire's mom says, "I was just about to get her up," as if she's in the general habit of waking Claire up in the morning--she really hasn't grasped the concept that her daughter is 26 years old, has she?

Twenty four I believe. But regardless, lots of moms are like that. Mine included, when she comes to visit. She'll stay the night in my apartment, and come and get me up in the morning like she did when I was a kid.

jruhlman09

• Not quite a lurker
  • Go Blue!

Apparently Clairemom only wears her glasses while cooking.

In my mind she's cleaning them just out of frame in the last panel.
I'll come up with a better one of these later.

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

And I believe that we can hit 30 pages by Monday, just in time for a comic in which good things to happen to Marten and Claire.  If it doesn't happen, then it's everyone else's fault for not believing harder than I was believing.
   quote trimmed

Yup :-) With our thoughts, we make the world.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I think that the real reason people (intentionally) become parents isn't to carry on the family name, or out of biological urge to continue the species, but solely to make their offspring as uncomfortable as possible.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

ElsaStegosaurus

• Not quite a lurker

Yup.  Many people nailed it.  I'm in the camp thinking this may get strung out enough to hit Thanksgiving before this ship truly sinks or sails.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I think that the real reason people (intentionally) become parents isn't to carry on the family name, or out of biological urge to continue the species, but solely to make their offspring as uncomfortable as possible.

And that is because their parents made THEIR lives massively uncomfortable.

Of course, there is a magic curse that comes with this: "I hope you have kids who are just like you."
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Yup.  Many people nailed it.  I'm in the camp thinking this may get strung out enough to hit Thanksgiving before this ship truly sinks or sails.

Oh, no. You mentioned Thanksgiving.

Dear GOD, do you KNOW how much drama and major storyline issues have happened around THANKSGIVING?

"The Talk" happened around Thanksgiving. (Just afterwards.)
Just another Joe like 46

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I like Claire's ringtone.
You and me both :D
Dang, everything I wanted toxsay has been said already.

Yesterday's comic caused me to make pancakes from the pancake mix I happened to have around. They were so-so. I should make my own pancakes.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Of course, there is a magic curse that comes with this: "I hope you have kids who are just like you."
Meh, if they were perfect genetic copies, it might inspire me to want to breed, just so I'd have spare parts lined-up.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

The impression I got was that Marten had already started on the pancakes in the diner when he called.
Francisco

Saral

• Not quite a lurker

Yes. He I think he was, but I feel Claire's Mon's invite was  for Claire's safety, more than anything else.  There are hurdles, some of which have been jumped, and some of which might spring up suddenly, or stay flat. Much better to have the discussion in a safe place such as their home.

Should the hurdles exist? No.

Do they? Unfortunatly so.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Of course, it's quite possible that Claire is such a slugabed (especially on post-party days) that she needs her mother to get her up if she's going to be active before midday! The little things that you learn from your friends' parents!  :wink:

A couple of other thoughts:

1) Jeph has done a good job drawing the family resemblance here;

2) Marten is wisely keeping out of the 'family discussion';

3) DISCUSSION: Just what is Claire's ringtone for Marten?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Channelore HellicottAtham

• Plantmonster
  • OH GOD THERE IS A HAND INSIDE ME AAAAAAAAAUGH

I think the entire reason this could work out between Marten & Claire is that he's so chilled around her. No angst, no stress, he just accepts her as she is and enjoys her company as it is, whether that's regular chat over coffee or at work, terrible-cute puns, or more personal moments such as sharing one's sexuality or post-beer back scratches.

Perhaps because Claire trusted him and valued his friendship enough to share such a private matter as her sexuality so early in their friendship, this has deepened the ease he has around her and strengthened their connection (perhaps without him overtly realising). Even if he saw her as just a friend at first, the best relationships often evolve from such a start-point, and for Captain Angst this start point of zero expectations must be a new and refreshingly untroubled way for a relationship to evolve!

Oh, and as for Marten's countenance during The Discussion twixt Claire & ClaireMum, to me it's simply, MMM PANCAKESSSS... The details of his breakfasty presence aren't as important to him as they are to Claire, and ClaireMum is clearly saying nothing new to him, no story, simply the nuts of what happened for him to have ended up there. Claire is the one more angsty about their evolving relationship due to her crush, not Marten. He was probably going to invite her out for pancakes in a chilled way anyway..
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25   Go Up