• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's next on our agenda?

Angus and Faye: The Quickening
- 46 (33.3%)
Dora Tells Her Parents (To Predictable Results)
- 10 (7.2%)
The Library Implosion: Emily Finds Out!
- 19 (13.8%)
Moms Meet!
- 8 (5.8%)
Momo and May - The Odd Couple Revisited!
- 12 (8.7%)
Hanners FREAKS OUT!
- 7 (5.1%)
Pintsize!
- 7 (5.1%)
Love and Pancakes!
- 7 (5.1%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!
- 1 (0.7%)
...Wait, who IS that blue guy lying on the ground?
- 11 (8%)
CLINTONSPOLSION!
- 10 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2811-2815 (13-17 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 166295 times)

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Is Dora still in the shop? Is she seeing/overhearing any of this?

She's standing right out of sight, laughing demonically at Faye's plight!  :evil:
What do you know about Pokémon?

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Damn... I feel sad. Mostly for Angus though as I like him more than Faye these days tbh.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

Sure looks like The Breakup v2: Fayngus Edition have started. Can't say I like it, but the signs have been there for a while ever since Angus first started talking about Faye's longtime plans (2440/41). Though, as Jeph already seems to have changed his mind regarding Martens happiness, I'm starting to wonder if his comment here here might be something he have changed his mind on as well. Just letting Faye be late a week or so could cause serious trouble.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

I don't know Jeph's attitude towards show tunes but this situation absolutely demands a week of strips based on Richard Stilgoe's lyrics for Tell Me on a Sunday. Specifically:

"Don't want to know who's to blame, it won't help knowing,
Don't want to fight day and night, bad enough you're going!
"

I'd just like for the two of them to realise that it's over and spend the next week trying to be happy together for this last week. A whole week of strips, entirely without dialogue, just with them doing things together. Then, the very last strip next Friday being Angus stepping onto the bus, waving to Faye and then disappearing within. Then the bus drives off and Faye breaks down on Hanners' shoulder.

FAYE: "I... I'm sorry, I'm getting your coat dirty!"

HANNERS: "My coat I can wash. My friend's heart needs more attention right now."
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

If this does lead to a breakup, it will be interesting to me how Faye and Angus began to wane just as Marten and Claire began to pick up.  Right here, we have Claire having obviously come looking for Marten for the first time, just in time to help Faye realize that Angus has aspirations in the Big City.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

The Breakup v2: Fayngus Edition

You specified Comic Sans in Jeph's forum!  I guess that means you aren't aware of this site, and Jeph's involvement with it!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

You know... Dora's reaction to her jealousy was to push both Marten and Faye away.

I wonder if Claire's will be the opposite - to keep her friends close, her enemies closer... and end up making Faye not an enemy. (Not that she's exactly an enemy per se, but in this context...)

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

You know... Dora's reaction to her jealousy was to push both Marten and Faye away.

I wonder if Claire's will be the opposite - to keep her friends close, her enemies closer... and end up making Faye not an enemy. (Not that she's exactly an enemy per se, but in this context...)

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln
do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

:)
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

I love that quote.  I have such a man crush on Abraham Lincoln.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I have such a man crush

How is a "man crush" different from any other "crush"?  Or is the answer inappropriate for this forum (if it directly implies the assumed inferiority of certain kinds of sexual attraction, then yes).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BenRG

• coprophage

I've noticed that, of late, romantic terms of endearment have started being used for non-romantic emotions. This can get... confusing. In this context, "man-crush" actually means "great admiration of this person's actions, words and nature".
~~~~

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

I have such a man crush

How is a "man crush" different from any other "crush"?  Or is the answer inappropriate for this forum (if it directly implies the assumed inferiority of certain kinds of sexual attraction, then yes).

Synonym for fanboy. Old Abe makes him get his squeee on.

McFace

• Plantmonster
  • Myes rather!

I have such a man crush

I'm pretty sure it means a heterosexual male has a non-sexual crush on another heterosexual male.

At least that's what I mean when I use it. Don't want to assume for Mooski though.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

man crush is a common term amongst straight males (and certain others of my acquaintance) in the United States to jokingly indicate an attractive male (attractive by a variety of standards, be they looks, accomplishments, badassery, etc) they have a "crush" on. It's usually not so much a romantic style crush/lust and more of an "idolization" thing. For example my buddy who's an MMA fighter has a hella man crush on Anderson Silva.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Holy crap that blew up.  Didn't mean to offend anyone - to be clear, valkygrrl has it most correct, at least the way I think about it.  Put another way, I'd happily take six months off the end of my life for ten minutes talking with the man.

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish

I honestly am not sure that Claire will be jealous of Faye. Possibly now that she is going to be dating Marten she will view his interactions with her in a different light, especially if Faye is single, but she knows the backstory. Further, she seemed more impressed that Marten had bagged Dora than that he still lived with a former object of his affection. Claire also doesn't have the history Dora has. Per Sven, all of her pre-Marten boyfriends treated her like shit. I don't think Claire will think to be jealous of Faye unless she starts hitting on Marten or something, which is unlikely.

Oop. I just read ahead from that comic and saw that Claire has issues with infidelity because of her folks and she jumped to conclusions mighty quick about Tai, Dora and Marten. Hmmm. Still, I am not sure Faye would in act in a way that would bother Claire. They seem to genuinely like each other.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I don't think Claire will think to be jealous of Faye unless she starts hitting on Marten or something, which is unlikely.
It is possible we could end up seeing an inversion of this (except without the violence of course...)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I wouldn't even know why Claire would be jealous of Faye in the first place. By the time she met Marten and Faye they had been living together as best friends and nothing more for a long time. She knows about their history, and Marten's relationship with Dora. Plus it was Faye that pushed her towards Marten with an all but stated "hey, I like you, you'll be good for my friend, so go for it." The only reason at all she might be jealous is the dumbness of thinking a guy and a girl can't be friends/live together without either sleeping or lusting after each other. Obviously that's not the case. Faye never felt that way, and Marten got over that a long time ago.

BenRG

• coprophage

I'm just hoping that Jeph avoids the stereotypical and predictable screaming fight, bad-tempered walk-out and Faye going into a spiralling self-destructive depressive episode. It's plausible but I'm not entirely sure it's right.

In today's strip, Faye admitted to herself that it's all gone wrong and that she's at least partly to blame (although Angus has his own screw-ups for which he is responsible). In some important ways, it could be used to show Faye's growth as a character that, instead of tearing herself apart, she's determined to make this end well. She'll be sad in the end but she avoids histronics.

Then, as the final indication that she's looking forward, rather than backward, Sven approaches her again; he's heard about the break-up through the Cossette-Steve-Sven pipeline and wonders if he's now in with a chance. "I think I'm going to stay single for a while, Sven," she says at last and walks off.

I wouldn't even know why Claire would be jealous of Faye in the first place.

Simply because Faye may need Martin's time and company to regain her mental and emotional balance. Claire would be entirely human if she felt a little jealous that someone other than her was the focus of her new boyfriend's attention.
~~~~

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish

I wouldn't even know why Claire would be jealous of Faye in the first place. By the time she met Marten and Faye they had been living together as best friends and nothing more for a long time. She knows about their history, and Marten's relationship with Dora. Plus it was Faye that pushed her towards Marten with an all but stated "hey, I like you, you'll be good for my friend, so go for it." The only reason at all she might be jealous is the dumbness of thinking a guy and a girl can't be friends/live together without either sleeping or lusting after each other. Obviously that's not the case. Faye never felt that way, and Marten got over that a long time ago.

I think this is key, specifically because it was a marked difference from how Faye advised him on Emily. She had to understand that Marten was agonizing over that situation in part because he found Emily attractive and under other circumstances he might have been interested in asking her out. She and Claire are in the exact same situation as "underlings" to Marten. Yet Faye didn't suggest that Marten talk to Emily or even ask her on a night out with friends to gauge their chemistry. He just said he was going to drop it and Faye was like "Good choice." So I think that Faye does really like Claire and feels that she'd be good for Marten and vice-versa. She might get upset over the breakup, and as her roommate and best friend, Marten will be dealing with some of the fallout, but there will also be Hanners and Dora and possibly even Marigold, too.

I'm not saying that Claire might not be jealous. I'm curious as to whether the Emily thing is going to come up again at some point, for example, but Claire seems pretty empathetic to me, and she might even prove to be a shoulder to cry on if Faye and Angus break up.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

And what I'm saying is that Claire may decide that the best course of action is to actually be that shoulder to cry on for Faye, specifically to reduce the risk that she runs to Marten and does something.

BenRG

• coprophage

And what I'm saying is that Claire may decide that the best course of action is to actually be that shoulder to cry on for Faye, specifically to reduce the risk that she runs to Marten and does something.

The problem is that Claire doesn't really have much of a relationship with Faye except as a friend of a friend, so she'll have no basis for approaching her. If Faye goes to anyone, it will be Dora, Marten or possibly Hannelore.
~~~~

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish

Hmmm. Possibly. It would indicate a level of deviousness I'm not sure we've seen evidence of in Claire, but again, the stakes are different with her being Marten's girlfriend and not his intern. So possibly her previous attitude toward Faye will change as well. I wonder, though, if Faye would fall for that? It would certainly make for an interesting dynamic.

It's true that Claire and Faye are hardly BFFs, but if she's dating Marten, Claire will spend quite a bit of time at the apartment and in that way, see Faye quite  a bit more often than anyone else save Hanners and Dora.

Bologna

• Plantmonster

I don't know why, but if they break up, I don't see an alcohol-inspired crash-and-burn for Faye.  Maybe one pouty drunken night of it, some general sadness, and a trip to see her therapist (which would be interesting - haven't seen her in a while!). 

I feel like Faye's gotten better about controlling her anger.  Angus is probably the more angry one in this situation.  I know it's his dream job and everything, but he's not being very empathetic.  LTRs require more conversation than 'I'm moving, but you can totally come crash on my friend's couch!' and I can understand Faye's alarm at how little Angus seems to care about that.

Can't say I'm too sad about them potentially breaking up, though.  I know they've been a central couple for a good portion of this comic, but Angus  didn't ever seem like good long-term material for Faye.  Yeah, they got along, and they shared the same sense of humor, but, I don't know, it never really 'clicked' for me. 

BenRG

• coprophage

I'd like for Faye, a few strips after the final break-up, to go into a bar and be doing the whole "soulful barritone sax" moment staring into her glass with a meditative expression when a completely new character comes up and asks her name. "It's 'Go away, before I cave in your face. I'm not interested'," she responds.

The guy backs up, pauses, mutters "No, fuck it," and strides forward again. "The thing is... you're too hot to look so sad."

Faye can't help but smirk. "That is a sucky pick-up line."

"Yeah it is... but it's true." Faye looks quite shocked and the last panel is the two sitting at the bar laughing about something. We might never see the guy again and we might never know how the night ended. All we need to know is that Faye isn't quite ready to roll over and play dead just yet.
~~~~

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

I feel like Faye's gotten better about controlling her anger.  Angus is probably the more angry one in this situation.  I know it's his dream job and everything, but he's not being very empathetic.  LTRs require more conversation than 'I'm moving, but you can totally come crash on my friend's couch!' and I can understand Faye's alarm at how little Angus seems to care about that.

They had already discussed it http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2451 and http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2452

Faye agreed, grudgingly perhaps but whenever she's had a chance to voice reservations she chose being supportive over being honest. 

Bologna

• Plantmonster

They had already discussed it http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2451 and http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2452

Faye agreed, grudgingly perhaps but whenever she's had a chance to voice reservations she chose being supportive over being honest.

Aw dang, I completely forgot about those instances. 

Well, that made things a little uglier.  Maybe they need to just sit down and hash more details out, now that it's actually happening.  They've given it passing thought; now they really need to be completely open about everything.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the conversation's heading that way...

mvdwege

• Plantmonster

The amount of people who seem to assume a breakup is inevitable is rather disturbing to me. Even more disturbing is the few who positively seem to want it.

I am not so sure that this is heading to a breakup. The final panel hints that we will get Faye finally owning up to her unhappiness at the situation, but we know that Angus is at heart a decent guy, even if he tends to act and speak before thinking I think he will try to take Faye's fears seriously once she blows up at him.

I hope it will be enough to put Faye at rest enough to at least try a long distance relationship. Even if it fails, it would signify a progression in her working on her abandonment issues.

A breakup would be just going for the obvious. If Jeph does that, I hope he does it with style, but I'd still be disappointed.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

I think people have deconstructed Angus enough now.  Dude is clearly going to be leaving the comic soon, so it's not like we need to hash out much more.  Speculating about the inevitable Sven interaction is better. 

Naturally, Sven will re-enter the picture during her coping, but in what capacity? There was at least one instance (strip #872, idk how to do the fancy weird links you people do. I'm technologically handicapped) where Sven seemed to show concern for Faye getting too drunk, and he doesn't strike me as the type to take advantage of someone who's been drinking. YES he's self-centred, YES he's egotistical, YES he had a spoiled childhood, but he has shown GENUINE remorse for how things went between him and Faye. I can't make myself believe that, if he came across a newly-single and drunk Faye alone in a bar, even IF she made a pass at him, that he would take advantage of her while she's drunk. He has been shown to give genuinely good advice in the past, to Dora, Faye, Marten, and Wil. Perhaps he'd take up that role again.

He's not a great guy. But he's trying to get better, even if he's not sure how to do that.

In the comic arc you cited, Sven did actually make a pass at Faye a few strips later.  It's pretty clear that despite being drunk her judgement was not challenged in any way though, so short of actual rape (which he'd of course never do) it's not like anything could have been in the cards.  Also remember that if Sven really does have feelings for Faye, he could be desperate for any sign of affection from her, no matter how wrong it seems in the moment.  I mean, I may be Sven's polar opposite in terms of personality, but back in the day, when I was crazy about a woman who didn't have romantic feelings for me, I would have taken what I could get, even if it was just pity sex, in the vain hope that it might somehow flower into something more real. 

That said, there's a ton of ways this could work out.  I think the healthiest (if Sven actually wants to court Faye again) would be if he tries to comfort her emotionally without screwing her.  Say, for example, if she's drunk and lonely, and he lets her share a bed, but keeps things PG.  This would take major character growth on Sven's part though - I don't know if he'd be up to it.  But if he wants a shot with her I think that's what he has to do now. 

This is just a vague fear at this point but I wouldn't leave Faye on her own around booze or blades if Angus breaks up with her. I worry that she may decide that she wants to see her father.

You're both severely overestimating Faye's mental instability, and her attachment to Angus.  I mean, I think she likes Angus, but no more than Marten liked Dora, and they've been going out for less time than Marten and Dora did.  It's pretty clear she's the one willing to walk away from the relationship at this point, and the dumper is almost always in better emotional shape after a relationship ends than the dumpee. 

I just thought of this... but in that whole list of things that Angus has "taken care of " Faye was dead last to be mentioned...

That's cause Faye brought it up last, as she was trying to not seem clingy/self important.  She was downplaying her own insecurities to the last. 

I also don't think that it would be a realistic narrative, the svenectomy looks irreversible to me... UNLESS Faye decides out of pure spite or in an uncontrollable fit of rage to turn EVERYBODY against her. Remember, Dora svenectomized because she heard that he confessed his love for Faye completely out of context and situation. Now, this would bring Faye into a situation I would't want to happen. It would alienate and isolate a main character

Faye never said she'd never talk to Sven again, Dora did. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Oh... oh, wait. 

Maybe a drunken night or two, definitely some depression. 

Which she begins to work through by doing something that truly makes her happy. 

She goes back to her art, something Angus was trying to get her to do in the first place. 

While the phrase "living well is the best revenge" pops to mind, that's not really what's going on, but I think this can lead to some serious development of Faye as a person in her own right, not necessarily dependent on a boy to make her happy.  She may even eventually find someone through her art, or not, but she'll be able to look back at how her time with Angus helped her overcome her crippling issues by providing a level of emotional normalcy that she'd been missing for a long time. 

Yeah, I know, not enough drama that way.  I did say "eventually"!   :-D :roll: :angel: :psyduck:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Bologna

• Plantmonster

While the phrase "living well is the best revenge" pops to mind, that's not really what's going on, but I think this can lead to some serious development of Faye as a person in her own right, not necessarily dependent on a boy to make her happy.  She may even eventually find someone through her art, or not, but she'll be able to look back at how her time with Angus helped her overcome her crippling issues by providing a level of emotional normalcy that she'd been missing for a long time. 

I would love to see Faye develop her artistic skills, and I hope this is the way things go.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Then, the very last strip next Friday being Angus stepping onto the bus, waving to Faye and then disappearing within. Then the bus drives off and Faye breaks down on Hanners' shoulder.

FAYE: "I... I'm sorry, I'm getting your coat dirty!"

HANNERS: "My coat I can wash. My friend's heart needs more attention right now."

That would be one of the supreme moments of the entire strip.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Do I want them to break up? No, not really. But I've seen this writing on the wall since the arc started. They are good and happy together, but what they want out of their lives right now are very different and incompatible things. Angus wants this, he needs this. This job is what he has been working for, and it would be extremely unfair to himself to not take it. Faye not only doesn't want to, but she is not in an emotional place to leave Northampton right now. If she were to move with Angus it would undo a lot of the emotional healing she's done over the last year or so.  It would be unfair to herself to go with Angus. They talked about long distance relationship and making it work, but I think they both knew it wasn't going to be. It was just an emotional bandaid. If Angus didn't get the job they could have sighed and gone back to the way things were. But now that it's a done deal, Faye has to face the fact that she really wasn't ready for this, she can't do the LDR thing. That's what I'm getting in the last two panels. "I thought I could do this, but now that it's here, I realize that I can't." The only thing fair to both of them is to break up now. It will hurt, there will be sadness. But it will be quick and done instead of drawing out and lingering for weeks and months, making the end result even worse. Sometimes you just have to take the least bad of your options.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Breaking News Alert!

A paddle steamer has been spotted at the edge of Niagara Falls. The question that remains is how many Youtube views it will get.
Ooh, nice one. (At least 1,000,000. At least.)

But yeah, this is probably going to be a sad one. Probably with a Friday cliffhanger, too.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Mafarfloune

• Not quite a lurker

Nobody's perfect, either IRL or in fiction, so it'd be silly to expect perfection from him or anybody else. But compare him to pretty much everybody else in-comic besides, say, Penelope. Each one of them is a hot mess in some respect, but they also have something -- a skill or talent that sets them apart, or at least makes them bearable. Marten's indecisive as hell, but is a good friend and confidant, and could probably do something with his music if he had the confidence to pull it off. Faye's slowly getting the confidence back to get into her sculpture. Raven, bless her ditzy self, has intellectual gifts that are at odds with her image. Sven's a lothario that you wouldn't want within a country mile of your daughter, but writes mega hits practically without trying, in much the same way that even Jimbo manages to crank out bestsellers even though we only ever seem to see him on the verge of weeping into his yellow beer in dive bars. Try as I might, I can't see anything similar for Angus. Sure, we're told he's witty, but we haven't seen it.

Goes on to list every characters' artistic talents. Conveniently ignores Angus' considerable acting talent, which is the reason he's leaving in the first place.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

The amount of people who seem to assume a breakup is inevitable is rather disturbing to me. Even more disturbing is the few who positively seem to want it

Chekhov's gun. If a gun is seen on the wall in act one, it must be fired by act three.  Jeph has been pretty consistent with that bit of literary theory in so far as the threat Faye worried over has become an actuality. Sven's appearance is basically a new gun. It hasn't been fired yet.

From a theory stand point, Sven is now set to be both a gun against Faye and against Dora. So it is not a certainty that he foreshadows a breakup, as of yet. Chekhov's gun need only fire once. That said, in an open story, doled out in daily chunks, the most efficient use of any gun means firing it as often as you can get away with.

It's not a certainty that the plot complication that is Sven will lead to bad decisions on Faye's part. But it will probably come back as a conflict for her. Trouble in Angusville makes that conflict more immediate. And Faye has finally admitted that Angus's dream is a problem for her.

Jeph has been setting this up for a long time. I just noticed how long this morning. Faye freaked at the possibility that Marten might follow Padma to LA. At the same time she and Angus had a friendly disagreement about the merits of New York. I doubt Jeph has been tending a plot seed that long to have this scene end with make ups and a happy sticker. On the other hand, he might drag the actual conflict out for a few weeks, or more. He might even have a twist happy ending planned. But I am sure Sven will return before we get to the end of this arc.

anahata

• Never knowingly understood

I'm surprised nobody's commented yet on what Faye said in panel 2.
"you're dropping your whole life in a heartbeat. Can't you see why that freaks me out?" (Jeph's emphasis)
Is she doing an action replay in her mind of what happened to he father?
Odd, because Angus isn't dropping his whole life - I guess he sees it as the best bit of his life starting - but from Faye's point of view he's being taken away suddenly, and by his own action, like her father's suicide.

Given that Angus has been so clever in getting round ever-so-prickly Faye in the first place, I'm amazed that he's being so dumb now.

Possible outcome:
Once Angus comes down from the initial high of getting the job, he'll realise how insensitive he's been, and make a huge effort to apologise and make amends; meanwhile Faye will realise that she is projecting, and what's happening here isn't the end of the world like her father's suicide was, she'll still see Angus and he still loves her, and she'll give the LDR a go.

So maybe not breakup. But plenty of LDR tension and drama, and Sven will make an ass of himself again.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

I'd have commented, but I called it before this comic went up. Faye hasn't been trying to resolve her abandonment issues. She's moved to a new comfort level and stopped there.

Also, you are overlooking the fact that Angus just landed his dream job. Being really happy is an emotionally impaired state.

BenRG

• coprophage

I'd have commented, but I called it before this comic went up. Faye hasn't been trying to resolve her abandonment issues. She's moved to a new comfort level and stopped there.

Which is one of the reasons why I think the story demands that there be a break-up, or at least a very weak LDR. Basically have circumstances force her to confront and overcome or let herself be destroyed.
~~~~

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

This does not look good. I expect a breakup statement from Faye tomorrow. As for the future, I am really afraid Sven's confession of love may have consequences. My best hope is that Marten and Dora team up to keep Sven away from Faye (and Faye away from booze) at all costs. This will no doubt be a strain for Claire, who has insecurities to deal with.

This is pretty close to how I see it: Claire being Faye's support and Marten running interference on Sven.
Francisco

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

The problem is that Claire doesn't really have much of a relationship with Faye except as a friend of a friend, so she'll have no basis for approaching her. If Faye goes to anyone, it will be Dora, Marten or possibly Hannelore.

This.

HES

• Emoticontraindication
  • Rhymes with Fez

This.
Unless they both happen to be at Merten's apartment

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

Unless they both happen to be at Merten's apartment

Claire's 24 years of pent-up sexual frustration notwithstanding, I suspect they are closer to the "stroll through a park holding hands" point of their relationship than the "alone at his place tuning his guitar" phase.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2014, 09:36 by AprilArcus »

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

Quick reminder that when Sven initially reappeared, it was with Jeph's note that he'd had plans for him for quite some time.

I think we're underestimating the role Sven is going to play in this arc.  I'm not so sure it's going to be as black and white as "Angus and Faye break up, or take on a long distance relationship, and Sven makes a move in the meanwhile."  It wouldn't really make sense, Sven's immaturity aside, to have him exhibit no growth at all.  Coupled with Dora cutting him out altogether, I think we might be jumping the gun on the version of Sven we're going to be getting moving forward.

Edit to add:
If Faye does have an angry upset bang with Sven I might actually stop reading out of sheer rage.
really?
I don't know where this is from, but this is amazing and it scared me a little.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2014, 09:43 by Somnus Eternus »

BenRG

• coprophage

Claire's 24 years of pent-up sexual frustration notwithstanding, I suspect they are closer to the "stroll through a park holding hands" point of their relationship than the "alone at his place tuning his guitar" phase.

Agreed, although I do think that Faye striding in on a very awkward and tentative couch snuggle would be cute. Naturally, Faye would ignore it in favour of insulting Marten in her usual casual way and going into the kitchen to grab a bite.
~~~~

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

You specified Comic Sans in Jeph's forum!  I guess that means you aren't aware of this site, and Jeph's involvement with it!
I did not know that. And while I agree that very often Comic Sans is way overused (it should never ever be used for a serious text), in the is particular case, I thought it would be the best choice (of those available) to mark the title of a Comic Arc.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I did not know that. And while I agree that very often Comic Sans is way overused (it should never ever be used for a serious text), in the is particular case, I thought it would be the best choice (of those available) to mark the title of a Comic Arc.
When I first saw it this morning I was a bit confused because I was reading it on a Linux computer that doesn't have Comic Sans MS installed and it instead displayed it as Times New Roman.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Smallest

• Curry sauce

re: Sven in general, I would not mind if something happened between him and Faye, maybe, but only if it was at least a while later. Not a rebound, or at least not an immediate entirely sucky one. I don't think Sven would fuck drunk Faye, and probably not even severely distraught Faye (or at least, not right away).

But I think if anything happens, Faye too may end up not speaking to him anymore, because if he approaches her in any way (rather than she approaching him), she is going to lash out at him, and he will probably lash back. (or there'll be a hug like when she went to his night and met their dad, but that would be a completely different can of worms.).

This does not look good. I expect a breakup statement from Faye tomorrow. As for the future, I am really afraid Sven's confession of love may have consequences. My best hope is that Marten and Dora team up to keep Sven away from Faye (and Faye away from booze) at all costs. This will no doubt be a strain for Claire, who has insecurities to deal with.
Or a week of relationship talk that is obviously ending as a breakup for us all to be frustrated at, rather than the bandaid rip Dora and Marten had.

I have such a man crush

I know people already have replied, but generally it's a non-sexual 'crush' on the gender you're not attracted to (or a person you're not attracted to sexually). Sometimes fanboy/girl y, sometimes on that one person in a group of friends who seems so cool (in that case, also a 'friend-crush'). Ladies sometimes say girl-crush, but I think generally friend crush or fanboy/girling (depending whether it's a friend or a celebrity/character) are easier phrases to make sense and not be offensive to anyone.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Nobody's perfect, either IRL or in fiction, so it'd be silly to expect perfection from him or anybody else. But compare him to pretty much everybody else in-comic besides, say, Penelope. Each one of them is a hot mess in some respect, but they also have something -- a skill or talent that sets them apart, or at least makes them bearable. Marten's indecisive as hell, but is a good friend and confidant, and could probably do something with his music if he had the confidence to pull it off. Faye's slowly getting the confidence back to get into her sculpture. Raven, bless her ditzy self, has intellectual gifts that are at odds with her image. Sven's a lothario that you wouldn't want within a country mile of your daughter, but writes mega hits practically without trying, in much the same way that even Jimbo manages to crank out bestsellers even though we only ever seem to see him on the verge of weeping into his yellow beer in dive bars. Try as I might, I can't see anything similar for Angus. Sure, we're told he's witty, but we haven't seen it.

Goes on to list every characters' artistic talents. Conveniently ignores Angus' considerable ACTING TALENT, which is the reason he's leaving in the first place.

fixed

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

If Faye does have an angry upset bang with Sven I might actually stop reading out of sheer rage.
really?
I don't know where this is from, but this is amazing and it scared me a little.

Transformers: The Movie, 1985. Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime. Amazing.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20   Go Up