THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 02:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Placeholder Poll: What also floats in water?

Bread
Apples
Uh...very small rocks
Cider
Gravy
Churches
Lead! Lead!
A Duck! *gasps*

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2821-2825 (27 - 31 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 79655 times)

LackOfGrace

• Not quite a lurker

Not to derail from the current Marten/Claire speculations.

But is anyone else wondering what became of:
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2802
?

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

Pretty sure he's teased Faye, and gotten his arm nearly broken in return.
Ah. Negative reinforcement. That might explain why we haven't seen him do it often. He's only just recently stopped flinching when he thinks of it.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2802 ?

I think that the two ended up sitting together in the apartment's lounge, discussing that most illogical and incomprehensible of subjects - the human condition. I suspect both Momo and May are a bit frustrated at their respective humans' exclusive focus on each other. Bored intelligences start plotting mischief, even if it is mischief solely for themselves!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

?

They haven't reappeared yet because Momo and May are frantically trying to get May's hair to look semi-decent.
And that's only without making the obvious assumption that she said something tasteless to say the least to Angus for the Faye situation.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

?

They haven't reappeared yet because Momo and May are frantically trying to get May's hair to look semi-decent.
And that's only without making the obvious assumption that she said something tasteless to say the least to Angus for the Faye situation.

I think that they have much in common on the humans front. It might have been a one off gag, but I think it would be interesting to pursue
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

LackOfGrace

• Not quite a lurker

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2802 ?

I think that the two ended up sitting together in the apartment's lounge, discussing that most illogical and incomprehensible of subjects - the human condition. I suspect both Momo and May are a bit frustrated at their respective humans' exclusive focus on each other. Bored intelligences start plotting mischief, even if it is mischief solely for themselves!

I would like to see that interaction.
Momo is well integrated into human interaction, even able to push a human in a positive direction.
May however is still adapting to positive human company.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Jeph needs to do a cover of this for DeathMole, it can be the one really quiet song on an otherwise loud and angry album

I make up lyrics to songs far too quickly:

But people smell better than reindeers
Sven, don't you think I'm right?
That's once again true,
for all except you
And that's because you smell of sh-
*slam*

I want to go up North Mountain.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

BenRG

• coprophage

My best guess is that if she were doing angry, Marty would have the sense not to be doing smugface. I dunno. I can't remember a case of Marten out right teasing Claire. There's a joke or two, but this is a full on tease. Has he ever done that? to anyone?

I have pointed out before that Marten is more experienced in relationships than Claire. Because of that, he might classify as 'harmless teasing' things that upset or seriously discomfort Claire. As in all relationships, they're now in the 'learning how each other ticks' phase.
~~~~

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

My best guess is that if she were doing angry, Marty would have the sense not to be doing smugface. I dunno. I can't remember a case of Marten out right teasing Claire. There's a joke or two, but this is a full on tease. Has he ever done that? to anyone?

I have pointed out before that Marten is more experienced in relationships than Claire. Because of that, he might classify as 'harmless teasing' things that upset or seriously discomfort Claire. As in all relationships, they're now in the 'learning how each other ticks' phase.

I know. I do wonder if were in for a short arc of "getting to know you," right now. But mostly, I'm still trying to process what Marten did there.

And thinking I ought to be asleep. Curse this insomnia.

EDIT: Maybe the REAL Marten Reed has been abducted! This Marten is... A Beta unit!

BenRG

• coprophage

I've just really noticed that Claire had her 'serious' face on from the start. This is only a guess but it occurs to me that Marten may find her 'serious' face intolerably attractive, so the kiss was spontaneous. I'm sort of waiting for Faye to complain to Dora that he seems to have regressed to "teenager with first crush".

Of course, that might actually be a good thing because it puts him and Claire on the same rung, emotionally. I strongly suspect that Claire may occasionally push boundaries too. Remember that Marten is technically above her in the management chain in the library; will she feel that their relationship 'softens' that chain of command? Will she start getting defensive about Marten with the others (she's already shown that, when her emotional buttons are pushed, she'll shout at Tai)?

As I've already said though; it's mostly a case of 'first blush of romance'. Marten is just enjoying having a girlfriend again. Claire, of course, is mostly guessing about how to handle it. Marten and Claire are just going to have to find a middle ground that suits them both.
~~~~

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I don't get why so many people are trying to see signs of trouble in the interaction between Marten and Claire. To me, it looks like a perfectly fine start to a romantic relationship - a bit of teasing is just frosting on the cake at this point.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

I predict tomorrow to be "Happy Arbor Day 2006" esque scene ending with Tai telling everyone to get to work. Wednesday sees Tai playing instrumental covers of soppy romance songs, Thursday Marten and Claire getting swamped by work ending with slumping together outside during lunchbreak/after work, and Friday a cliffhanger on the subject of Faye/Angus or something involving Sven

I make up lyrics to songs far too quickly:

But people smell better than reindeers
Sven, don't you think I'm right?
That's once again true,
for all except you
And that's because you smell of sh-
*slam*

I want to go up North Mountain.

You're terrible

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

I don't get why so many people are trying to see signs of trouble in the interaction between Marten and Claire. To me, it looks like a perfectly fine start to a romantic relationship - a bit of teasing is just frosting on the cake at this point.
I don't think it's so much looking for problems as trying to read into it as much as we possibly can
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Some people have this dynamic. Partner A says don't go forward 3. Partner B immediately goes forward 2.9. Partner A gets "upset" but not really, because that's the game.

The problem is, and this really is a thing, sometimes Partner B is in a relationship with someone who really meant, "don't do that." Doing the opposite, but in such a way that it doesn't strictly break the letter of the request is very upsetting. Rather than receiving the message "I'm teasing you, they get the message, "I don't care about your requests."

So... Questionable Content is a relationship comic. People speculate on stuff there's absolutely no evidence for. Marten just did a thing that could be very flattering to Claire or very undermining. And Claire is sometimes difficult to read. Relationship stuff happens in a relationship comic... It's ambiguous... Of course people are going to wonder if it means trouble.

In both of the major core character relationships, the thing that served to split the pairing was introduced at about the same time as the pairing got together. Dora's fear and insecurity about Marten's feelings and Angus and Faye both living complacently for different reasons (Faye out of complacency, Angus because he was waiting for a means to move to New York).

Basically, this is one of those times that there's plenty of reason to speculate that these might be signs of the trouble. As it happens, I hope not. I don't know if this ship's gonna float long, but that's only because I don't know where Jeph is going with this. But I really want it to. If it's going to end, I'd like to see it end because of ripe old age (in comic terms) thousands of strip from now.

Until we find out which it's gonna be, talking about the details is entertaining. Also, a good way to slip obscure jokes into conversations. And Puns.

Does that Claire things up?

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

I don't get why so many people are trying to see signs of trouble in the interaction between Marten and Claire.

Me neither.
This is innocent fun, in the context of making at least a token effort to curb their excitement and behave like adults while they're at work.

Almost or actually failing in this could have some comedy potential, too.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

BenRG

• coprophage

I think it's because so many readers have become emotionally invested in the relationship in their own right. So, they're worrying over whether it's stable/working like over-anxious grandmothers. Which is cute, when you think about it.  :-D And also disturbing.  :-o
~~~~

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

There's also the fact that Claire's taking the professionalism thing more seriously than everyone else (and Marten damn well knows how professional "Emma", erm, I mean Tai, is, when it comes to workplace romance), and she's about to find out that Tai is shipping them. And, Marten knows how gossip moves at the speed of, well, gossip.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

The amount of blushing Claire is, and is about to be, experiencing can't be good for her heart.  :-D

Gordzilla

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I have read every comic at least 3 times, and have been a long time reader/lurker of the forum and comic. The current events have now caused me to register just so that I may say this:

SQQQQQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :claireface:

That is all....wait, no.

I have a prediction.

Of course Faye and Angus split, but, and as much as I would hate for this to happen, Faye is down for a bit, then says screw it, gets incredibly drunk, and bangs Sven yet again. She then says "screw it" again the next morning when she realizes what she has done, and bangs him again, if not just dates him. The news then hits Dora, who is trying to cut Sven out of her life, and all hell breaks loose.

Please let my prediction be the farthest thing from right.

That is all.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

*sigh* BOYS!!!!!!

What would we do without them?
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

qc001

• Not quite a lurker

I don't get why so many people are trying to see signs of trouble in the interaction between Marten and Claire.

Me neither.
This is innocent fun, in the context of making at least a token effort to curb their excitement and behave like adults while they're at work.

Almost or actually failing in this could have some comedy potential, too.

Hi all!  Delurking for a moment.  I religiously read the comic and forums, though I almost never post (I think I still have a single-digit post count!) but this comic has inspired me to share my thoughts!

For the first time in a long while, I really didn't care for a strip, for the reasons already mentioned by a handful of people.  Marten's kissed Claire in response to her request to maintain professionalism in the workplace.  While I agree that, from Marten's side, he thought he was being cute and flirty, and the wording of Claire's request ("When we go through those doors, we're two library employees, and nothing more" left things open for his actions outside the doors (if you're a pedant), but the gist of the request was clear (work at work, smooches at home) and he violated that one request right out of the starting gate.  They probably should have hashed this out before they were at the library doors, but nevertheless...

Also, Marten's her sort-of boss, and for Claire (unlike all the other characters who work at the library), this is a gateway to her dream career, so not only does perhaps not want to have the idea of an "office romance" attached with her, professionally, but also she probably doesn't want her performance to suffer because she is distracted by her snuggle buddy.

I also wonder if part of her request is to control information, so she can tell people about their new status on her own terms, rather than letting everybody know all at once.

I would probably have been totally fine with things if this strip were about Tai throwing an Arbor Day party and spilling the beans (as a third party), but as it is, I read it as Marten disrespecting Claire's direct request, which just rankles.  My two cents, for what it's worth (:

Okay, relurking!!

BenRG

• coprophage

There's also the fact that Claire's taking the professionalism thing more seriously than everyone else (and Marten damn well knows how professional "Emma", erm, I mean Tai, is, when it comes to workplace romance), and she's about to find out that Tai is shipping them. And, Marten knows how gossip moves at the speed of, well, gossip.

Of course, Claire and Tai are very different personalities and see the Library in very different ways. To Tai, it's a job and one she intends to hold onto if she can. However, to Claire, it's a vocation, a passion and a calling. To her, the idea of misusing library equipment for personal reasons (let alone sex) would be tantamount to blasphemy!

That said, I've got a feeling that, if Claire has a kink, it is something to do with books and libraries (even though she doesn't know it yet). That means that Tai, if she guesses this and offers the right innuendo, may trigger her own Claireblush! :wink:
~~~~

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

*sigh* BOYS!!!!!!

What would we do without them?

You'd be bored! Just admit it!  :wink:

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

BenRG

• coprophage

Um... Okay, as someone else has started it up thread, my guess/prediction is:

Tuesday - Claire pursues Marten into the library demanding an apology; he counters that, as they've gone through the door, they can't do 'personal' stuff; they pause and Claire suggests that they are the only ones not doing personal stuff; the last panel is the congratulations party. Even Gus the Librarian is there!
Wednesday (Option 1) - Filler; Pintsize and Winslow are still in pursuit of Dilly; the prototype seems to have vanished! Cut to a suspiciously-happy looking Raven in her apartment.
Wednesday (Option 2) - Gus confronts Claire; she's surprised that he came to the spontaneous party. He remarks that he'd noticed the way Claire was interested in Marten some time ago. He advises her to keep both hands firmly grasped on love. As he walks off, Tai sneaks up behind Claire and notes that she's walked in on Gus with both of his hands firmly grasped on his love.
Thursday - Tai and Claire working together; Marten walks past and Tai notices that Claire's head nearly unscrews itself as she tries to keep Marten's butt in line of sight. Tai remarks that she knows Claire is preoccupied because she's just shelved the autobiography of a Supreme Court Justice in the erotic fiction shelf.
Friday - Claire leaves the library and sees Marten waiting under a tree. She tells him that she's still mad at him for the kiss earlier; she's even madder that they've been so busy that day that, she hasn't been able to get pay-back! Pay-back? The last panel is the two of them kissing under the tree
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2014, 06:07 by BenRG »
~~~~

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

I'm mostly good with the 'less is more' approach to dialogue; that said, a whole lot of ambiguity could have been removed with the addition of one speech bubble to panel 3:  "Agreed."

It could be that ambiguity is one of Jeph's goals in having less dialogue, but I hope not.

Edited a LOT later to add:  Ya know, my first post here was telling people not to overthink the comic, and damned if I'm not doing it myself.  Awesome story is awesome.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2014, 17:16 by MooskiNet »
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese

Happy Marten is happy.  I think Claire is, too.  Isn't that all that matters?

I spent most of my life wishing for a partner that would be spontaneously sweet just like that. 

*squee*
Please, sir, may I have some more?

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

I doubt Tai will have an Arbor Day banner anywhere in sight.

Confetti OTOH.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2014, 09:55 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Omio

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • ... ... ...

[snipped a lot of stuff.]
Does that Claire things up?
Such clairevoyance!  :clairedoge:
...Trying to meta on Tetris is impossible, I swear.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

I doubt Tai will have an Arbor Day banner anywhere in sight.

Confetti OTOH.

But that party was CRAZY, even by Pintsize's standards
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

That is some blush! Even the background turns a reddish color.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

removed at a member's request
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2014, 22:16 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

I... don't think that's going to go down too well.

*hides behind sofa*

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

snarkyone

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Who knew the grail wasn't dishwasher safe?

I wonder what kind of online presence Claire has.

She could use the 'tubes to explore trends in how minorities get treated.

An elegant experiment on her part would be to pretend to be some other kind of minority, creating less risk to her real life while still exposing her to the range of experiences minorities get on line.

For example, she could try an African-American avatar.

A chocolate e-Claire.
:claireface:

You wen't through that whole speech just to pun the name....   didn't you.
"No one cares how much you know, till they know how much you care.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

So you want Emily to kill everyone?
She used to be quite wacky
    And gave Pintsize forty whacks.
    When she saw what she had done,
    She gave Elmo forty-one.

(click to show/hide)

I spend all day yesterday hauling crap while in hazmat suit and wearing a full face gas mask. Chalk it up to oxygen deprivation. yeah thats it ..... :psyduck: ... I scare me sometimes.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Endellion

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I pun, therefore I am

Why are some people pouring cold water over one of the most adorable comic to date?  :psyduck:

It had me giggling on the trip to work and smiling throughout the morning, can't wait to see what Tai has in store for them.
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

I am with those who worry what this means.  I know it's just friendly teasing from Marten's point of view but I fear that Claire won't see it that way.

I think that a better way of handling that would be to explain that he knows/has strong suspicions that Tai already knows and would probably mention it.
Francisco

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

So you want Emily to kill everyone?
She used to be quite wacky
    And gave Pintsize forty whacks.
    When she saw what she had done,
    She gave Elmo forty-one.

(click to show/hide)

I spend all day yesterday hauling crap while in hazmat suit and wearing a full face gas mask. Chalk it up to oxygen deprivation. yeah thats it ..... :psyduck: ... I scare me sometimes.

Now all I can picture is Lizzie Borden offing random Muppets. :P
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

I am with those who worry what this means.  I know it's just friendly teasing from Marten's point of view but I fear that Claire won't see it that way.

If it weren't meant to be just a cute moment I don't think we'd get the lovey dovey pink background or 'blushing like a idiot'.

At most I think the first panel of tonights comic might be along the lines of 'That was sweet, but seriously..' 'ok, I promise'. I don't think this is planting seeds for the Clairepocalypse.

Besides, this is Marten. If next strip she IS upset there's no way in hell he'd keep doing it.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2014, 14:00 by Rghfrgl »

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

{X-Files}Trust nothing, Agent Rghfgl.{/X-Files}

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

I find Marten's behavior quite understandable. Faced with the prospect of no Claire kisses for several hours, he did the logical thing.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Logic and romance go together like peanut butter and crude oil.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

It can be both at the same time too! Silent agreement merged with an enjoyable tease!

FWIW, to me, Claire's expression in the last panel was "Hey! No fair!"

I still feel like the "teasing" could have been a little more innocent, for example if Marten had just leaned in and whispered "We're not through the doors yet" and given her a knowing look (nudge-nudge, wink-wink, say no more!), which probably would've been equally blush-inducing, but without the implication that he's disrespecting her boundaries.  Like I said before, I worry too much about these tiny breezes capsizing the ship before it gets too far from shore, when I should be focused on tomorrow's Taiphoon.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Netrunner

• Plantmonster
  • I've got too much blood in my caffeine system...

Not to mention that it's typical Martin troll behavior. I mean, they hadn't gone through the doors, yet. If Claire is really upset about it, she'll need to talk about it with him, but she'll also need to understand that part of a relationship is learning to accept your partner for who they are.
Never run on your last click.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Logic and romance go together like peanut butter and crude oil.

They mix together quite well since peanuts have a high oil content...but no one wants to do a taste test.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

stinson6016

• Not quite a lurker

I have to say it!
squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

SteveCostello

• Not quite a lurker

Man... a whole bunch of wet towels in here. It was a sweet little smooch! Haven't you people ever been in love? Sheesh!

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

No need for ad hominem attacks, now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up