THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 18:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Placeholder Poll: What also floats in water?

Bread
Apples
Uh...very small rocks
Cider
Gravy
Churches
Lead! Lead!
A Duck! *gasps*

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2821-2825 (27 - 31 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 79632 times)

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I feel like I'm reading a different comic to everyone else right now.
Some of the people on the forums have a tendency to get overanalytical.   The facial expression of a particular character in a particular frame becomes the subject for a Master's thesis.  Heck, I posted a particular comic to be a funny response to someone's comment and someone wrote a PhD thesis to prove that I was wrong in my interpretation. 

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Something like.. this?

Is it me, or is Sven trying to get a look at Faye's butt?
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I feel like I'm reading a different comic to everyone else right now.
Some of the people on the forums have a tendency to get overanalytical.   The facial expression of a particular character in a particular frame becomes the subject for a Master's thesis.  Heck, I posted a particular comic to be a funny response to someone's comment and someone wrote a PhD thesis to prove that I was wrong in my interpretation.
Fun fact: My Ph.D. thesis is on the geometry of Claire's hair.

(click to show/hide)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I'm calling it......Tai being LBGT positive, inadvertently outs Claire to everyone in a moment of lapse.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

@Cs133 - If you get the doctorate, let us know! :wink:
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Something like.. this?

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking this morning stephen. Maybe even analyzing her body language and inadvertedly thinking "could that mean she'd be free in the future?".

Although a "DAT ASS THO" seems more on character to Sven.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

I mean, we've seen her in two strips since her last smile. In the first, she had something serious to say and didn't get a serious reply, on screen.

In the second, she's concerned about how her boss is going to react, and how her new thing is going to go over socially. At the end of both, she's reacting with some flavor of surprise.
[...]
Keep in mind, we've seen a few seconds of at least several minutes. We don't know what we've missed.

And at home, she was bewildered/taken aback for several strips, then concerned about Marten's thoughts re: her status.  Once they get off work and have the most immediate concerns behind them, hopefully Claire will have some opportunity to relax and smile and crack an awful awesome pun.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Something like.. this?

Sven's sharing a sexy look with Penelope in front of a oblivious Wil!

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish

Something like.. this?

Sven's sharing a sexy look with Penelope in front of a oblivious Wil!

That's a possibility. But the angle of his gaze and the expression on his face could more easily be read as looking at Angus and thinking "so THAT's my competition?" or even looking at Emily and trying to figure her out.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

I mean, we've seen her in two strips since her last smile. In the first, she had something serious to say and didn't get a serious reply, on screen.

In the second, she's concerned about how her boss is going to react, and how her new thing is going to go over socially. At the end of both, she's reacting with some flavor of surprise.
[...]
Keep in mind, we've seen a few seconds of at least several minutes. We don't know what we've missed.

And at home, she was bewildered/taken aback for several strips, then concerned about Marten's thoughts re: her status.  Once they get off work and have the most immediate concerns behind them, hopefully Claire will have some opportunity to relax and smile and crack an awful awesome pun.

It's funny - intellectually, I know there's nothing about anything I've read/seen previously that matters a hill of beans to the progression of the story - Jeph's going to draw the next comic, and then that will be canon, so worrying about it isn't just useless, it's silly.

I am really intrigued at how this particular webcomic romance is hitting all my buttons as opposed to any of the others I've read before (or even currently - DumbingOfAge has about five simmering in the slow cooker).  Whether by design or by accident, Jeph's managed to make me care what happens to these two, and I can't put my finger on exactly why.

Not that I'm complaining.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

That's a possibility. But the angle of his gaze and the expression on his face could more easily be read as looking at Angus and thinking "so THAT's my competition?" or even looking at Emily and trying to figure her out.

That's what I thought - looking at the commotion that will inevitably be caused by the bug chase.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

It's funny - intellectually, I know there's nothing about anything I've read/seen previously that matters a hill of beans to the progression of the story - Jeph's going to draw the next comic, and then that will be canon, so worrying about it isn't just useless, it's silly.

I am really intrigued at how this particular webcomic romance is hitting all my buttons as opposed to any of the others I've read before (or even currently - DumbingOfAge has about five simmering in the slow cooker).  Whether by design or by accident, Jeph's managed to make me care what happens to these two, and I can't put my finger on exactly why.

Not that I'm complaining.

I think it is an investment effect. I cared about Marten and Dora. I can't be arsed about Faye and Angus. I have nothing against Angus. I just didn't have anything for him.

I suppose that's why I didn't give much thought or care about Padma or Delilah. They existed specifically to be Marten's interests. Angus has a bit more background, but even that pretty much sums to being interested in Faye.

Claire isn't quite her own character, in retrospect. It's clear she had a thing for Marten for a while. But she didn't engage as a one trick pony. Because she basically acted to hide how she felt, and we weren't given a look inside her head, she came across as a more complex character.

Also, shipping aside, I don't think I expected the size and brass content of Jeph's ones was sufficient to go there. I pretty much joined this forum because I was so impressed by the effort.

Aside from the character development, there's also the presentation.

I could have gotten behind Padma, and actually cared about the way Marten blew that, because she's drawn cute, and has a pretty unique character trait--she's not afraid of Faye. I tend to poo poo Faye's violence, but mostly because it is nonconsentual. Padma was go from the beginning, and it was just a game (you were supposed to block!).

Except for her first appearance, Claire is almost over the top with the cute. It's over 9000. Her quirk is anxiety that seems ever present but almost never stops her.

None of this is objective, mind you. It's my experience. Other people have a completely different read on her, and that's okay. I just figured this might be relevant to your experience.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

She was a man four years ago, regardless of how she identified.

Her life was indeed shaped by being misgendered, which I believe was your primary point.

Thinking of younger Claire as a "man", though, interferes with careful thinking about trans* people.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

She was a man four years ago, regardless of how she identified.

Her life was indeed shaped by being misgendered, which I believe was your primary point.

Thinking of younger Claire as a "man", though, interferes with careful thinking about trans* people.

That's a bit pedantic, to the point. I'm all for respecting people's identity, but there's an infinite field of "this term means that to me."

Normally, I don't care to correct this kind of thing, but you're talking about "careful thinking" and that's not a half step from thought policing. You're trying to tell me what I mean. That's a thing I'm going to have to claim exclusive province over. Feel free to tell me what you understood, but not what I mean.

What I said was statement about how Claire was previously viewed by the outside world. Unless she's always been presenting as female, which her statements seem to indicate was not the case, there was a time when the world would have assigned her the value of "young man" and treated her accordingly, with respect to unconscious bias. As a guess, it wouldn't have the best of all possible bias sets, since she'd have been short and scrawny, like her brother. But she still would have been the unwitting benefactor of gobs of white, male privilege.

She is, for the practical purpose of this subject, now a woman. Whatever the circumstances, they are such that she can be confident most people in Northampton don't know her as anything else. Which strongly suggest that she's no longer getting those gobs of male privilege.

We don't know exactly when she made the decision to change. She hasn't said. So we don't know how long she may have lived in line with her identify before she began to transition, nor do we know any details of how that went down. It's actually not a subject I care to know about, unless it bears on the story. We do know that she must have spent a good chunk of her life being assigned the role of boy, young man, and possibly man, based on what she told us.

If there's an objection to be made on the basis of technical inaccuracy or potential hate speech, I'm always open to hear it. Please refrain from telling me what I mean, or presuming to characterize my intent.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Comic!

Heh, at least he's honest about it.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

What people being reasonable and adult about relationships? Is this the same comic series?
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

I'm walking on eggshells (whoa oh)
And don't it feel good

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

What I said was statement about how Claire was previously viewed by the outside world. Unless she's always been presenting as female, which her statements seem to indicate was not the case, there was a time when the world would have assigned her the value of "young man" and treated her accordingly, with respect to unconscious bias.
If there's an objection to be made on the basis of technical inaccuracy or potential hate speech, I'm always open to hear it. Please refrain from telling me what I mean, or presuming to characterize my intent.

Yes, that's what I thought you meant.

I've found technical accuracy, even to the point of pedantry, helps me understand better what's going on with trans* people. Words like "presentation" and "assignment" are wonderful for minimizing confusion. When I call young Claire a woman, it helps me focus on the fact that what matters is her involuntary basic identity.

Confession: there's a bit of selfishness in my reply. I hope you can forgive it. If a trans person had taken offense, then I would have had to put on the mod hat and break up an unnecessary fight, when I'd rather overanalyze the comic instead.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

"Kind of a thing now."

I guess it's a bit early to say they're dating or in a relationship, but c'mon, Marten, can't you be a bit more clear than that?  Although I guess "We're a couple" or "we're together now" would also imply a deeper commitment than what they have yet.  Goddamn English, how does it work?

(click to show/hide)
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

In regards to referring to Claire as male at some point, or formerly male. A politer and more accurate way of putting it was that she was perceived as male. That established how she was treated without invalidating either her lived experience or her identity. Which for most trans people sets in and they can verbalize it by the age of 4-5. Usually long before they are given the ability to express that identity. As one of the forum transgender folk, I wasn't offended by the statement. A little saddened at the all to common inaccurate phrasing of it. But I guessed at what the intention behind it was meant to be.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

"Kind of a thing now."

I guess it's a bit early to say they're dating or in a relationship, but c'mon, Marten, can't you be a bit more clear than that?  Although I guess "We're a couple" or "we're together now" would also imply a deeper commitment than what they have yet.  Goddamn English, how does it work?

(click to show/hide)

Hooray for XKCD, and yeah. I think he's going with that because they haven't really been on any dates/been coupley (except maybe some cuddles and kisses off screen right off the bat) so until then he's not using dating
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

In regards to referring to Claire as male at some point, or formerly male. A politer and more accurate way of putting it was that she was perceived as male. That established how she was treated without invalidating either her lived experience or her identity.

This.

Which for most trans people sets in and they can verbalize it by the age of 4-5. Usually long before they are given the ability to express that identity.

I prefer to avoid universalizing narratives like this.

I presented androgynously as a preteen and did not have a clear sense of my female identity or trans status until I was 14. Before puberty, "gender" seemed like a purely superficial distinction like race. I'd certainly have preferred to have been a cis girl, but in practical terms it didn't seem to matter much that I wasn't perceived that way. After puberty, that dissonance became a lot less academic and more of a clear and present threat to my sense of self and ongoing source of personal misery.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2014, 22:19 by AprilArcus »

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Confession: there's a bit of selfishness in my reply. I hope you can forgive it. If a trans person had taken offense, then I would have had to put on the mod hat and break up an unnecessary fight, when I'd rather overanalyze the comic instead.

Once you're a mod, the mod hat is on, whether you mean to wear it or not. I understand the tricky bits, but I'm not sure how anything is served to prevent potential offense by being preemptively offensive.

I don't think that was your intent, but then neither was your characterization of my post related to my intent. Is it presumption of guilt?

Not to beat the horse to death, but there's a simple and fundamental reason I object to the tone and justification of "Careful Thinking." Applied to your response, careful thinking could have avoided offending me. But is that reasonable?

I've mentioned before that I find trigger warnings distasteful. I think I used the context that it really would be reasonable to expect "Trigger warning: Macro shots of spiders." No one does that. Arachniphobes are fucked. Well, having someone phrase something such that they, intent or not, presume to tell me what I mean is a big fat trigger. A trigger for enough years of childhood mental and physical abuse that I don't remember much of my youth, and I find myself having to ask people, "did that happen? How the hell did that even start?"

There isn't a turn of phrase that hasn't been weaponized. There's no gesture that isn't painful for someone. But if we try to respect that, we have no choice but to stop communicating, entirely. I don't have a perfect world answer. All I have is a point.

In regards to referring to Claire as male at some point, or formerly male. A politer and more accurate way of putting it was that she was perceived as male. That established how she was treated without invalidating either her lived experience or her identity. Which for most trans people sets in and they can verbalize it by the age of 4-5. Usually long before they are given the ability to express that identity. As one of the forum transgender folk, I wasn't offended by the statement. A little saddened at the all to common inaccurate phrasing of it. But I guessed at what the intention behind it was meant to be.

The intent was to force the reader into image conflict. The purpose of that conflict was to underscore the unconscious bias people carry with respect to gender.

I'm sorry to have inflected sadness as well.

Here's the thing. Whether you divined my specific intent, you recognized what I was saying. Just as I recognized that you are discussing gender, despite the fact that you use the words "male or formerly male." Male isn't a gender term except at a remove of implicit assumption: If A is male, A must be a man or boy. Except, if you accept gender as construct, you know that A being male tells you nothing about whether A is a man or boy.

That's why I used the word "man," in addition to "shock value." The construct of gender comes on multiple levels, perception, and identity among them. Now, I could read your use of the word "male" as having specific intent to convey the specific meaning of that word. It would be technically true of Claire, on a genetic level, now. Or I can just go with what I know you mean.

But what if I found it offensive, even knowing your intent? I'd probably be in my rights to say something about it. But, circle back to the above, does "Careful thinking" apply? If so, what's the meter stick for careful look like? There's obvious stuff that fits "not careful" just like there's stuff that's obviously pornography. The longer I think about it, the more it seems to me that the only distinction between "Careful thinking" and "not obviously careless thinking" is same as that between art and "not obviously porn": I know it when I see it.

In a subjective world, that's fodder for arguments and nothing more.

I suppose one could use the "reasonable person" test. It's how most handle that particular conflict. To me, that's hypocrisy. It's using the tyranny of the majority to justify action taken in the name of defending people oppressed by the tyranny of the majority. As an oppressed person myself, I find that distasteful. Others' mileage may vary. I certainly see the potential for satisfaction in giving 'em a taste of their own medicine.

Claire is a woman. A "she." Is she a "she" in same sense that the U.S.S. Enterprise is a "she"? Am I a "he" in the same sense that the former Soviet aircraft carrier Kiev is a "he"? Generally, I take the idea of gender as construct to the logical extension, so my answer is yes. But I suspect a lot of people never considered the question and are rather conflicted, at the least. If they aren't outright rejecting the idea. That's the essentialism of tying sex to gender. That was what I intended to exploit by choosing the word "man" over "presented as" or "perceived by others to be."

As I said, I'm open to criticism about that choice. I'm just upset by the characterization of said choice as careless and the implication that it meant to disparage.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Is it presumption of guilt?

Certainly not! You're clearly one of the good guys here.

Just curious, would "precise thinking" have gotten my meaning across with less baggage than "careful thinking"? Or should I have tried a different angle from the beginning?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Is it presumption of guilt?

Certainly not! You're clearly one of the good guys here.

Just curious, would "precise thinking" have gotten my meaning across with less baggage than "careful thinking"? Or should I have tried a different angle from the beginning?

I don't know. I could only suggest what it would occur to me as an optimal solution in the after-the-fact. I have the advantage of knowing that what you did say is very, super triggering to me. I don't know how useful that is, in any sense.

As it stands. I could have left all that out and stood only on the basic explanation. But I thought, other people get triggered and state their case. Why can't I? Yes, it was upsetting, but I know that the upset stems from something done to me by someone else. Coulda, shoulda, woulda are terrible words. I use them to flay myself all the time. But, being honest and as objective as humanly possible, they just don't apply here. You woulda, if you'd known, coulda if any number of small events had been different through out the day, and shoulda what? I can't think of anything.

Maybe I've developed a new form of Zen, but I don't need to assign blame for my upset. It's a thing that happened because things happened years ago and far away. I really don't have anything more than my point(s). I hope they can help, but I don't know how much of it (from a moderation perspective) applies to anyone but me.

I appreciate you responding without rancor. I know how tough mod jobs can be. If I didn't have that deep thought about gender essentialism trying to get out I'd have kept it to PM.

BenRG

• coprophage

It's an indication of how close friends Marten and Faye are that the two of them can basically joke about such a touchy subject so close to the event. I don't think that Marten meant that he wouldn't have told Faye about Claire but would have done so in a different way, focussing instead more on reassuring Faye.

BTW - My head-canon is that Claire badgered Marten into telling his friends about her personally rather than let Tai's email account take the strain. I suspect that he was planning to do so anyway but Claire beat him to mentioning it and Marten wanted her to have the victory of contributing to his decision.
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2014, 00:04 by BenRG »
~~~~

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

For God's sake let's not have not this discussion of trans identity AGAIN.  We've been through it at enormous length at least three times already. There's a thread in DISCUSS where all this is thrashed out.

Also rule 1 below applies in spades, doubled and redoubled.
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2014, 00:07 by Nepiophage »
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

For God's sake let's not have not this discussion of trans identity AGAIN.  We've been through it at enormous length at least three times already. There's a thread in DISCUSS where all this is thrashed out.

Well. That's terribly meta.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I have the advantage of knowing that what you did say is very, super triggering to me. I don't know how useful that is, in any sense.

It means we now know more about you.  But the thing is that the mods here are super-aware of some things that are triggering to a number of different groups of people who are known to be present on the forum, and try to pre-empt the upset they can cause.  When balancing different people's likelihood of being offended, we may try to make a judgement of who's likely to have more offence to deal with in their lives, based on what they have let us know about them.  We can't, of course, know the answer in individual cases until we are told - but in any case, working out a path through life to cause minimum offence is a good way to go, and within this forum we try to enforce it.
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2014, 01:19 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Which for most trans people sets in and they can verbalize it by the age of 4-5. Usually long before they are given the ability to express that identity.

I prefer to avoid universalizing narratives like this.

I presented androgynously as a preteen and did not have a clear sense of my female identity or trans status until I was 14. Before puberty, "gender" seemed like a purely superficial distinction like race. I'd certainly have preferred to have been a cis girl, but in practical terms it didn't seem to matter much that I wasn't perceived that way. After puberty, that dissonance became a lot less academic and more of a clear and present threat to my sense of self and ongoing source of personal misery.

I prefer to avoid it generalizing as well. That is why I chose the word 'most' in there. My own experience is atypical because I didn't even know being transgender was a thing that existed until I was about 22. But I knew something was wrong by the time I was 3 or 4. I just didn't have the wordage to verbalize it beyond wishing I was a girl. I'm just going by what gender experts say, that people's genders tend to be set and expressible by that age.

Here's the thing. Whether you divined my specific intent, you recognized what I was saying. Just as I recognized that you are discussing gender, despite the fact that you use the words "male or formerly male." Male isn't a gender term except at a remove of implicit assumption: If A is male, A must be a man or boy. Except, if you accept gender as construct, you know that A being male tells you nothing about whether A is a man or boy.

Man/Woman and Male/Female are used as descriptive terms for both physical sex and gender though. All to often interchangeably. Which is why I find terms like perceived X or assigned X at birth to be more accurate and less troubling. Because it makes clear the distinction. As I said, I understood your meaning and what you were saying. But I have a lot of experience parsing these conversations that many people don't have, and could easily fall into the all to common expectation that being transgender is some switch you flip part way through your life, instead of a life-long journey of self discovery, doubt and discrimination.

Believe me, I wish we didn't have to keep having this conversation. If you think it is tiresome, imagine how it is for us who have to have it or deal with it on a daily basis. It's absolutely exhausting. But it's a fight we can't put down, since we're fighting to not have a basic core element of our lives erased.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

If you think it is tiresome, imagine how it is for us who have to have it or deal with it on a daily basis. It's absolutely exhausting. But it's a fight we can't put down, since we're fighting to not have a basic core element of our lives erased.

Why? You don't have to make a _political_ argument the core of your life. It can be as simple as, I'm a human being and you will treat me with the base level of decency that everyone deserves because of that, the personal aspects of my life and how I choose to lead it don't require justification, I'm not hurting anyone so buzz off. The core would then be in the living.

When you add justifications, especially for the personal, that invites a counter argument. 'Because x' puts x up for debate and if x is debunked you're put in a very bad position.

Not to mention the content of those justifications put you at odds with people who should be your natural allies. People like me who are ready to say screw the patriarchy and its (biological) sex based social rules but find arguments about brain sex and of statements of identity instantly negating a physical and social history (and possibly a current physical reality) distasteful.

I don't care what you identify as in your head. *holds out a hand* I'll take you as you are right now, what you choose to show the world is fine and good and wonderful and doesn't need to be justified to anyone.

And if it ever changes, it'll be just as fine and good and wonderful.
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2014, 07:27 by valkygrrl »
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

So, then, speaking about the comic:

What are some of the most common ways that spending early life assigned male could have affected Claire's mindset about going into a het dating relationship?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage

What are some of the most common ways that spending early life assigned male could have affected Claire's mindset about going into a het dating relationship?

An awful lot depends on when she started self-identifying as female. Additionally, the primary male-model in her early life would normally be her father, who abandoned the family and about whom she has such negative feelings it's a trigger. So, it's questionable if there would have been a male courting behaviour role model for her that she is emotionally able to copy. Really, an awful lot depends on what her primary romantic role-model is and that is almost certainly a woman.

It wouldn't surprise me if, being something of a bibliophile, if she has read a lot of romance novels (especially classical ones) and she's imprinted a bit on the female protagonists.
~~~~

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

A funny thing is though is that Claire hasn't been shown as being a bibliophile. She wants to be a librarian, so it makes sense that she would enjoy reading and books. And we've seen other characters wandering around with their noses in books, but not Claire. She seems more interested in librarian as teacher rather than librarian as book lover. In fact, she kind of called out Gabby on that when that was the reason she took up the internship. Because Gabby just liked books.

BenRG

• coprophage

Just a thought on strip 2825, panel 2. Faye's first lines are to laugh and she looks very surprised.

What makes this odd is that, in Strip 2810, Faye is telling Dora that she thinks Marten and Claire engaged in 'sexy shenanigans'. So, why the "you're kidding, right?" laugh and the look of surprise?

This is only a guess but I'm thinking that Faye was expecting a one-off drunken fumble followed by a Walk of Shame and weeks of mutual awkwardness and embarrassment. She wasn't expecting Marten to announce that he and Claire are in a relationship. Oh, she guessed that Claire had a crush on Marten but not that it was possibly mutual!
~~~~

davedig

• Plantmonster

I sort of wonder about Faye's response too, maybe it is taht. I'd like to think she's more 'wow you avoided telling me this?'

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish

I took her reaction more as "I'm happy for you to the extent I can be happy about anything romantic, which isn't very at the moment."

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Marten knows Faye so well.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Faye probably just forgot. I mean, she did just have a relationship crisis, and when she checked on the thing, Marten blocked with pancakes. It was, apparently, super effective.

Or she didn't believe Marten when he said one night stands weren't his speed. She's been willing to assume Marten might have wandering hands, despite him being, we'll, Marten. It wouldn't be out of character for her.

I am betting on forgot. Relationship melt down plus Marten brush off is a reasonable explanation.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Faye probably just forgot. I mean, she did just have a relationship crisis, and when she checked on the thing, Marten blocked with pancakes. It was, apparently, super effective.

I think we already made a comment on the connotations pancakes have, so maybe Faye's mind kinda went that way without us noticing.

Although as you said, it's more plausible that she just forgot.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

I think we already made a comment on the connotations pancakes have, so maybe Faye's mind kinda went that way without us noticing.

But Faye probably wouldn't realize that pancakes = sexy times unless Dale told her everything.  She probably shut him up long before he got to enlighten her on the various uses of syrup.

Off-topic, and let me know if this has been answered elsewhere already, but can anyone create a poll for the WCDT?  I know I'm new here, but I came up with one earlier today I'd like to do, if that's cool. 

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.

Generally it seems to be the person that creates the WCDT that makes the Poll. While this is often done by the same "core" group of regulars, most of whom are long time members or moderators, that is not always the case.
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Hey, if you wanna do it, go for it. We usually start the WCDT at about noon-ish EST on the Sunday of the week.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Awesome, thanks!  I shall try to prove myself worthy of the task.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

I think you're right.  I suspect that Faye took pancakes to mean that he put his foot in it so turned to pancakes for consolation.
Francisco

BenRG

• coprophage

I literally don't have a clue where we'll be going next week. There are several options but Jeph's new 'minimise blah' policy means that we might not see as much of key events as we might expect. The optoins that occur to me are:
  • Onto Tuesday; Claire talks to Emily and Faye finally decides to at least talk to Angus;
  • The rest of the time up until Angus leaves for good compressed into one week of strips;
  • Mrs A mentions to Clinton that Claire has a boyfriend; he goes through a long series of ever worse scenarios about who may be playing with his sister's heart delivered in one-strip funny inner monologues. The last strip is him seeing Claire with Marten and saying: "Oh... It's you! I was worried for a while there!"
  • More Momo and May, this time going back a day to Sunday evening when Angus comes home; Momo tries to be helpful but May has no patience for mopey!Angus.
~~~~

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

5. Wait until Monday and see what Jeph does.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

6. Victorian hijinks at the Horrible Revelation.

(I'm going to say it until it happens.)

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

May works the red eye shift.

She approached Momo between "You're cute when you're reasonable," and "I need pancakes before I can process this."

Faye didn't go into work until 5pm the next evening.

Baring a continuity glitch, May probably wasn't in the shower for half a day.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up