Spathe Ham, Bacon, Waffles and Flat Whites
- 7 (6.8%)
Whatever
- 6 (5.8%)
ClaireMomJob
- 2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2826-2830 (03 - 07 November 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 60313 times)

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

There's something very creepy about Martin's face in panel three. 

I'm not sure if it's actually seeing a character's face dead on (which Jeph seldom does) or actually having a first-person look out of Claire's eyes (which I don't think Jeph has ever done before). 
It's a little uncanny valley to me

Although I have the same question as Claire, what is proper first date attire?
(Although Fancy hats are proper attire for anything except sports/manual labour)
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Although I have the same question as Claire, what is proper first date attire?
(Although Fancy hats are proper attire for anything except sports/manual labour)

Fancy Doublet, breeches, short cape, tall boots, court sword. Can't go wrong.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The Blue Dress With White Piping would not be overdoing it. It will be really awkward if that's what Marten wears too.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Natswash

• Furry furrier

I think a visit to Horrible Revelations is in order for both Marten and Claire, and for this forum

Gladstone

• The Tickler

I think a visit to Horrible Revelations is in order for both Marten and Claire, and for this forum

I still can't believe they didn't go there on The Night of the Scritches.  Jeph loves drawing his characters in Victorian outfits, and he never wastes an opportunity to depict Claire looking adorable, so it surprised me that he passed up the opportunity to do both at once.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Natswash

• Furry furrier

Well he's getting another shot to do by right by the Victorian outfits

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Like I said a page ago, it'll happen eventually.  The Night of the Scritches and Pancake Morning were already loaded with adorable moments; he probably didn't want to overdo it.  Their First Date is probably going to be equally squeeful, though, so maybe it's best to wait.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Natswash

• Furry furrier

You're the kind of person who can really savor a bar of chocolate instead of eating it all, aren't you?

who?

• Not quite a lurker
  • what?

Hopefully Claire will be able to relax a bit and we'll see a smile from her this week

Gladstone

• The Tickler

You're the kind of person who can really savor a bar of chocolate instead of eating it all, aren't you?

I used to hoard empty M&M's Minis tubes because they smelled like chocolate for months after you ate all the candies.

(So what I mean is, I'm good at savoring things longer than necessary, before enjoying the next good thing.)
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2014, 22:02 by Gladstone »

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Marten is happy and it's been so long his face doesn't know what to do about it.

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication

I'm not sure if it's actually seeing a character's face dead on (which Jeph seldom does) or actually having a first-person look out of Claire's eyes (which I don't think Jeph has ever done before). 
It's a little uncanny valley to me

I agree -- it's a really creepy expression. I know the expression is intended to show that Marten is happy about dating Claire, but it comes off poorly.

I find it puzzling that Marten would want to date Claire. Today's comic reaffirmed this feeling. For one thing, Marten is 25 or 26 and Claire is 24. However, Marten has much more romantic experience than Claire. Marten has had four or five girlfriends. In contrast, Claire has kissed one person. I guess Marten is that uncommon 26 year-old who is willing to date someone with essentially no romantic experience.

Marten's paternalism towards Claire also baffles me. If you have to protect and advise someone in a paternal way, to me, that person would not feel like an equal partner. When Marten advised Claire that she "might wanna change out of that dress... so you won't be heartbroken when someone spills a shitty beer on it", it came across like she, a 24 year old, had never been to a bar and didn't know how to dress herself. Marten also had to comfort Claire after she freaked out about harmless snuggling. Today, he told her she can wear whatever she wants on a date. Again, I don't get how one could be attracted to someone when he has to hold her hand through so many scenarios. 

Now, the heart wants what it wants. That's why Marten and Claire are "kind of a thing." But I imagine trouble must be on the horizon.

----

As a side note, the way Jeph has been drawing eyes recently has bugged me. Whenever he draws someone close up, the eyes and pupils are way too big. It is too much like anime. I miss the more realistic style from 1600 to 1800.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

I get the impression that the reason why early Claire's personality was so abrasive was because she's been socially excluded by choice during her transition. She's probably never had any serious adult relationships other than very limited academic ones during her studies; she really didn't know how to relate to people properly. She really doesn't know how to do this. All she's got are the influences of literature and media. Consequently, she probably thinks that there is always more to dating than there is in this case (going out for an informal meal).

This is another area where Marten's niceness helps: He is willing to walk her through her questions and nervousness without getting impatient. That said, I think that Claire would enjoy going on a fancy, formal date with all the trimmings. I hope Marten thinks to do that for her one day!

I think that Jeph is deliberately comparing Claire to Marigold here. Both are somewhat inexperienced at adult relationships and the requirements of life, if for different reasons. Both need guidance from wise figures; Hanners and Marten are unlikely candidates but are doing the job.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

I find it puzzling that Marten would want to date Claire.

Marten gets to take the lead with Claire and I think that's the appeal, for him and the readers. Marten likes strong women and I'd say Claire is a strong woman, she's going after her dreams and just being herself must have taken a lot of courage. But compared to other strong women Martens shown interest in like Dora and Faye she's not a aggressive woman. Marten can't keep up with a Faye or Dora and I think he's figured that out.

Well, that and Claire is super cute.

Natswash

• Furry furrier

Cute is frequently a factor

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

So far Marten and Claire are a pretty conventional couple.

I mean breakfast at her mother, kiss before work, first date ... if Claire was a normal woman, people might complain this story is almost boring.
Carpe Diem

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Claire's face on panel 5 is the face of someone who has just had her whole dressing paradigm destroyed. "All that time lost in the wardrobe and it never even MATTERED!"

Which of course is not true, but it can feel like that in the moment.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

The Blue Dress With White Piping would not be overdoing it. It will be really awkward if that's what Marten wears too.
Hee hee... Yes, that could be a good option.

"Normal woman" would not be my choice of words.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Xfraze

• Not quite a lurker

I actually liked his face in panel three. I didn't really get the creep vibe or an uncanny feeling.

Natswash

• Furry furrier

I dunno if it's just me, but Hanners, Claire, and Marigold seem to be very similar characters to me. They are deeply nuanced and unique but they seem very similar and I can't put my finger on why

BenRG

• coprophage

Are we going to get an adorable scene tomorrow?! I can't stand the tension someone hold me

*Holds Nyithra* There, there! It's going to be okay!

Seriously, it wouldn't surprise me if the date isn't until next week. I can see tomorrow's strip being more of Hanners and Mar-bear with the latter being led towards the realisation that Dale is basically a gender-swapped Hannelore without the physical contact phobia. Then Friday, I think, will be Claire running to CoD to beg one of the ladies to be allowed to use their emergency lipstick before running back to rejoin a weirded out Marten, who is still outside the Library, waiting for her.

I dunno if it's just me, but Hanners, Claire, and Marigold seem to be very similar characters to me. They are deeply nuanced and unique but they seem very similar and I can't put my finger on why

It's because, whilst they're full grown adults with adult desires, they are socially and emotionally less well developed. This makes them come across as very innocent and even child-like. It is a common theme in a lot of the ladies of Questionable Content (with the exception of Tai and possibly Dora).
~~~~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I find it puzzling that Marten would want to date Claire. Today's comic reaffirmed this feeling. For one thing, Marten is 25 or 26 and Claire is 24.

CALL THE COPS

Seriously, my parents are six years apart. And I am six years older than my girlfriend. And I'm 26.

However, Marten has much more romantic experience than Claire. Marten has had four or five girlfriends. In contrast, Claire has kissed one person. I guess Marten is that uncommon 26 year-old who is willing to date someone with essentially no romantic experience.

So he's a nice guy willing to overlook someone's lack of experience and see the person, rather than just how many people they've kissed. I again fail to see why this is that puzzling.

Marten's paternalism towards Claire also baffles me. If you have to protect and advise someone in a paternal way, to me, that person would not feel like an equal partner.

Precious few relationships are properly 100% equal, and even if they are, there is room for paternalism or maternalism, besides which dominance does not mean inequality, experience does not mean inequality, age does not mean inequality.

When Marten advised Claire that she "might wanna change out of that dress... so you won't be heartbroken when someone spills a shitty beer on it", it came across like she, a 24 year old, had never been to a bar and didn't know how to dress herself.

Why would Marten's friendly advice give any indication of whether Claire has been to a bar? I've got plenty of friends who are practically drunks but still dress pretty for dive bars. Could just be an indication that she's not been to a wedding before. And if she hasn't been to a wedding or a bar, to paraphrase the late Bill Hicks, four questions: Yeah? And? So? What?

Marten also had to comfort Claire after she freaked out about harmless snuggling. Today, he told her she can wear whatever she wants on a date. Again, I don't get how one could be attracted to someone when he has to hold her hand through so many scenarios.

Okay so given how insulting that is to anyone who's ever had anxiety issues, I just stopped caring whether I offend you with this post or not.
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2014, 01:42 by Gareth »
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

I want to make a relevant comment but my current emotional state has eliminated my capacity for rational thought.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico

@Gareth. Thank you. I read that and wanted to say something, but couldn't articulate everything about what that post made me feel and why it made me feel that way, but you managed it.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

No problem. I might have been a bit nicer if I'd not already been in a bad mood.

Actually no I wouldn't because that post pissed me off throughout.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

if Claire was a normal woman
CLANG!

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/drop+a+clanger!

See also, Church, farting in  :laugh:

Not to worry. I actually laughed when I read this. Then again at Akima's elegantly understated comment.
Fortunately, we're all friends here, so no more than mildly chucklesome rather than hurtful.

Now in the UK it would be "dropping a brick", but the US meaning of the phrase is quite different.

OK nuff said, don't want to cause embarrassment.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

BenRG

• coprophage

Actually, Zoe, I do see Snubnose's point. I wonder if Jeph is going to hammer home just how conventional, normal, boring and utterly average Marten and Claire actually are. The point would be that Claire's gender identity doesn't matter because the two of them are just a couple testing out whether they can make a relationship work like millions of others around the world.
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2014, 05:09 by BenRG »
~~~~

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Now in the UK it would be "dropping a brick", but the US meaning of the phrase is quite different.

And please don't do _that_ in the forum either. kthx.
I want to make a relevant comment but my current emotional state has eliminated my capacity for rational thought.

How about 'butts?'
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

BenRG

• coprophage

So, onto the timeline information (for April's benefit). Based on clothing, this is definitely the same day (probably Monday) that Marten officially informed Tai that he and Claire are a couple and that he is willing to co-operate with any changes to his assignment that management impose as a result.

So, this means that we have events probably something like this through the day:
  • Marten and Claire arrive for work (probably around 7-8am);
  • Dora tells Faye she's got to decide what to do next with Angus;
  • Marten tells Tai and Tai spams her Friends list the good news;
  • Marten goes to CoD to tell Faye (around lunchtime);
  • Hannelore and Marigold discuss replacement room-mates for the latter;
  • Marten proposes a sort-of-date during the afternoon shift.
Goodness! I've just realised what a geek I am!

Obligatory self-mockery aside, it occurs to me that it has taken something like 40-50 strips to take us from the trip to the bar on Saturday night to the latter part of Monday! That's actually a very dense bit of story-telling. I'm wondering if, after the Angus situation is resolved (possibly around Thanksgiving) we might have a big time skip.
~~~~

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

It makes sense that it's a dense bit of story telling, there are at the very least 3 storylines going at the same time right now (QCSS Clarten setting sail to the horizon, Steam Paddler FAngus crashing down Niagara falls, Angus moving to NY and having Marigold looking for roomie). Granted that Marigold's "struggles" are more of a background thing that has just been noted, but this is still a webcomic loosely based on strips and that limits the possible Progress per Unit of Comic (tm)

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

I think ALL of Jephs characters have a certain lightheartedness to them. Even if they all have their issues, on a certain level they are deeply relaxed, ever able to made the trademark jokes of Jeph.
Carpe Diem

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

The way Jeph's drawing him, Marten's eyes make it clear he's so into her that it's giving me warm and fuzzies and I'm starting to worry it might actually be heart problems.

Does anyone have an aspirin?  I want to head this off before I get the tingling down the arm.

It makes sense that it's a dense bit of story telling, there are at the very least 3 storylines going at the same time right now (QCSS Clarten setting sail to the horizon, Steam Paddler FAngus crashing down Niagara falls, Angus moving to NY and having Marigold looking for roomie). Granted that Marigold's "struggles" are more of a background thing that has just been noted, but this is still a webcomic loosely based on strips and that limits the possible Progress per Unit of Comic (tm)

You're forgetting the most important one - Pintsize and Winslow: Entrepreneurs.

Blackbird

• Balloon animal serial killer

CLANG!

Giving snubnose the benefit of the doubt, Claire is NOT a normal woman.  She's an anxiety-ridden nutbar with questionable social skills (I should know, we can smell our own).  There's room for the comment to be alot more innocent than it comes off as at first. 

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

CLANG!
Giving snubnose the benefit of the doubt, Claire is NOT a normal woman.  She's an anxiety-ridden nutbar with questionable social skills (I should know, we can smell our own).  There's room for the comment to be alot more innocent than it comes off as at first. 

Without trying to be the thought police or nothin', I think the word 'normal' used to define a set of criteria that someone does not meet (no matter what the criteria are) is problematic.

Claire has a set of challenges that makes otherwise boring situations interesting (sometimes in the way of the Chinese curse) is another way of saying it, I guess.

I don't think there's any malice intended, so maybe just nod wearily and chuckles all around.

We'll get there.  :-)
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2014, 06:44 by MooskiNet »
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

You know, lot_jockey's post actually really bothers me.

I'm 26 years old, and I've never kissed anyone, and have no dating experience whatsoever, and don't really know what I'm doing in that regard. While the reasons for that are rather different from Claire's reasons (mine is caused primarily by my anxiety issues and the social structures of my upbringing, whereas hers was caused by her transition primarily and her explicitly not wanting to date while she was still figuring herself out), the end result is the same. So, what is someone in their mid-20s with zero dating experience supposed to do, date high-schoolers (which absolutely is creepy - according to age / 2 + 7, 19 is the youngest Claire could date with it being socially acceptable)? Or is Claire supposed to exclusively date people in situations like hers, and if she wants to date someone more experienced than her, sorry, she's too old to be inexperienced and date someone experienced even if (or especially if?) they're really quite close to her in age? (And, it's well within the age / 2 + 7 rule - I'll note that she could date someone as old as 34 and it wouldn't be creepy under that rule.)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Pleeease, the Uncomfortable Revelation on Friday. On please please please. Give us a weekend of Claire in a cute Victorian dress...

Blackbird

You know, lot_jockey's post actually really bothers me.

I'm 26 years old, and I've never kissed anyone, and have no dating experience whatsoever, and don't really know what I'm doing in that regard. While the reasons for that are rather different from Claire's reasons (mine is caused primarily by my anxiety issues and the social structures of my upbringing, whereas hers was caused by her transition primarily and her explicitly not wanting to date while she was still figuring herself out), the end result is the same.

lot_jockey's line about "Marten being the rare 26 year old who would date somebody with no experience" really rings untrue to me.  I'm my girlfriend's first adult relationship (I'm 28, she's 30) and I was 26 when we started dating. She figured out that she liked girls pretty late, barely dated men before that, yadda yadda yadda, it is what it is. Her inexperience in relationshippy things can be irritating as hell sometimes, but most of the time, it's nice to just be with somebody who doesn't have all of that baggage from past relationships.  If I'm being a bitch, I just get told I'm being a bitch rather than hearing "you're acting just like (ex's name)!" (See?  That right there is something my ex used to do, and I brought that bag with me right into this relationship.)

There are plenty of people willing to put up with the pitfalls of having an inexperienced partner, because there are some real perks to it too.

That said, get on that horse, friend. Because 26 and inexperienced can be cute, but you don't want to wake up one day 40 and still inexperienced.

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication

I find it puzzling that Marten would want to date Claire. Today's comic reaffirmed this feeling. For one thing, Marten is 25 or 26 and Claire is 24.

CALL THE COPS

Seriously, my parents are six years apart. And I am six years older than my girlfriend. And I'm 26.

However, Marten has much more romantic experience than Claire. Marten has had four or five girlfriends. In contrast, Claire has kissed one person. I guess Marten is that uncommon 26 year-old who is willing to date someone with essentially no romantic experience.

So he's a nice guy willing to overlook someone's lack of experience and see the person, rather than just how many people they've kissed. I again fail to see why this is that puzzling.

Marten's paternalism towards Claire also baffles me. If you have to protect and advise someone in a paternal way, to me, that person would not feel like an equal partner.

Precious few relationships are properly 100% equal, and even if they are, there is room for paternalism or maternalism, besides which dominance does not mean inequality, experience does not mean inequality, age does not mean inequality.

When Marten advised Claire that she "might wanna change out of that dress... so you won't be heartbroken when someone spills a shitty beer on it", it came across like she, a 24 year old, had never been to a bar and didn't know how to dress herself.

Why would Marten's friendly advice give any indication of whether Claire has been to a bar? I've got plenty of friends who are practically drunks but still dress pretty for dive bars. Could just be an indication that she's not been to a wedding before. And if she hasn't been to a wedding or a bar, to paraphrase the late Bill Hicks, four questions: Yeah? And? So? What?

Marten also had to comfort Claire after she freaked out about harmless snuggling. Today, he told her she can wear whatever she wants on a date. Again, I don't get how one could be attracted to someone when he has to hold her hand through so many scenarios.

Okay so given how insulting that is to anyone who's ever had anxiety issues, I just stopped caring whether I offend you with this post or not.

Gareth, I agree with most of what you're saying. I'm not going to address your comments point by point, but yes: Marten is incredibly nice and is willing to overlook / take on Claire's issues because he likes her so much as a person (I believe I said this in my original post, but I should have lead with that statement). I was going to try to re-articulate my general point, but I (a) have offended a few people and (b) other people's life experiences are different than my experiences and my circle of friends' experiences. So, I'm going to drop it.

bhtooefr, I apologize. 

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Damn I was all set for you to be an asshole about it and you've been really nice. Was in the mood for an argument too.

Ultimately we all only have our own life experience to go from!

(And I was in a bad mood.)

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

DAMMIT I KNEW I FORGOT SOMETHING. Now I won't get my pledged singing dildo :(

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

CLANG!

(mod)Thank you all for not exploding. Everyone covered the points I might have made. Well done. To leave nothing unsaid, the worst interpretation of that would definitely be a moderation issue.(/mod)

(regular user)This would definitely be an interesting story line even if Claire weren't a library science major. Marten is showing character development by dating a woman who's less domineering than Dora or Faye. Claire may even be more ambitious than Dora.(/)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

NemoX

• Lonely nobody

I don't understand the few people who are making their ages an issue. For one, they are not that far apart anyway. Secondly, as you get older age gaps become less and less noticeable/relevant/worth mentioning. Lots of couples I know are a good 8-12 years apart. It's when we are really young that its social taboo. People forget too those times before when a 15 year old would be set to wed a 30+ "gentleman".

I like the half your age +7 rule myself, and I am not encouraging creeps to date well under their age group, I'm just saying its all in context, situation, timing and compatible personalities/maturities.

Marten is not that much older than Claire and he himself is not that "mature" if it comes down to it. They like each other, they click. That's all that should matter.

Also, I agree that this is different in that Marten took the lead. Tho it seems to me that his reactions so far have less to do with him being a nice guy helping guide Claire through unknown relationship territory and more of his brain being so happy he is just enjoying the fact of the relationship existing and being pretty zen about it all, without really thinking about what he says or does. Which is good. Marten overthinks everything so far. This is the first time he is not only acting on impulse and what feels right at the moment (example: the stolen kiss before work without verbal reply) but the first time he is happy with the results from it (previous example of it not going his way are his one night stand, he took the impulse to joke about getting paid in makeouts but after it all discovered it wasn't his thing)
"Wit is educated insolence" - Aristotle

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
    • LDOriginals: GLBT friendly costumes, sweets, and more

I think that BenRG has a finger on it:
I think that Jeph is deliberately comparing Claire to Marigold here. Both are somewhat inexperienced at adult relationships and the requirements of life, if for different reasons.

All three of them are kind, sweet people with massive, massive social issues of various sorts.
My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

How about 'butts?'

That would fail to articulate my intentions or come anywhere near my meaning. I suppose, the closest I could get, whilst being emotionally compromised beyond the capacity for rational thought would be, "tits."

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

The way Jeph's drawing him, Marten's eyes make it clear he's so into her that it's giving me warm and fuzzies and I'm starting to worry it might actually be heart problems.

Does anyone have an aspirin?  I want to head this off before I get the tingling down the arm.

Also, the Svenectomy is still pushed into the background. That could erupt at some point.

... Also, I agree that this is different in that Marten took the lead. Tho it seems to me that his reactions so far have less to do with him being a nice guy helping guide Claire through unknown relationship territory and more of his brain being so happy he is just enjoying the fact of the relationship existing and being pretty zen about it all, without really thinking about what he says or does. Which is good. Marten overthinks everything so far. This is the first time he is not only acting on impulse and what feels right at the moment (example: the stolen kiss before work without verbal reply) but the first time he is happy with the results from it (previous example of it not going his way are his one night stand, he took the impulse to joke about getting paid in makeouts but after it all discovered it wasn't his thing)
Sometimes, being zen about things is a great way to help people out without even noticing that you are. Yay for things just working out!

Going to chortle if she goes for one of the frilly pink dresses. Marten's reaction would be fun.
Mistakes, ahoy!

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Also, the Svenectomy is still pushed into the background. That could erupt at some point.

NEXT UP: Dilly enters CoD preceeding Sven. Dilly goes straight to Faye. Angus sees everything happen as he approached. Hell breaks lose. This actually happens. (Although the harbringer of nuclear fallout would be Dora, and Pintsize would wear the wedding dress as he always wanted)

HeavyP

• Woo!

Just weighing in with what appears to be the standard opinion, that I don't see anything particularly odd about the relationship.  I've been in a number of relationships of varying lengths and wouldn't have a problem dating someone with little to no experience in that regard (though given how long it's been, I might be equally in need of "figuring things out," or in need of some mental WD-40 at the least).  Age gaps don't matter so much, either, I think life experience has more to do with it.  For example, while I'd not have a problem dating a 21 year old (I refuse to consider younger, you gotta be able to buy your own hooch, dammit), the likelihood of someone that young matching my level of life experience and/or maturity is pretty low, as is having anything meaningful in common.

In the end, though, as was previously said, the heart wants what it wants, and if you're really into someone, you'll find a way to work through the problems. 

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

This is going to sound odd, but experience is overrated. I mean, yes, we learn stuff about ourselves in each relationship we're in, and hopefully we eventually figure out what we want and need out of relationships in that process. But the flip side of that is that huge parts of that experience also has to be checked at the door when you start a new relationship. Somebody hurt you? Okay, be careful next time, but you also need to go in with enough of an open heart and mind to trust that the next time can be different. Communication styles, interests, turn-ons and so much else differs quite a bit from one person to the next, so sometimes the best thing you can do is realize that each new relationship's a blank slate. You've both got a lot to learn about each other, and sometimes what you've experienced and what you know or think you know as a result can hold you back as much as it helps. So the inexperience issue isn't really much of an issue if you approach it right (namely, by realizing that neither one of you knows all there is to know, either about each other or much of anything else).

The same applies in a roundabout way to the age thing. I've known people in their early 20's who had it a lot more together than other people I've known who were decades older than me. As long as it's two consenting adults going in with their eyes open (which certainly applies here), it's up to them to figure out what's right for them.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Experience can be overrated, but inexperience has qualities all its own. It's possible to not want to deal with those qualities.

I'm not saying that applies to Claire. I am saying it is possible for a person to project that stance on to Marten.

Everyone has their own style in these things. Marten is not concerned about that issue in any visible way. That may bite them both, but the fact is, something will. They'll either get past it or they won't. But I can't see this being anything but a good experience for both of them either way.

Marten needs to experience not being passive. Claire really couldn't ask for a better first relationship guy than
Marten. I just don't see the down side.

Endellion

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I pun, therefore I am

I smell another dressing montage  :claireface:

Although I do wonder where the "we're two library employees and nothing more" rule went, it looks like it's still in working hours.
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up