Spathe Ham, Bacon, Waffles and Flat Whites
- 7 (6.8%)
Whatever
- 6 (5.8%)
ClaireMomJob
- 2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2826-2830 (03 - 07 November 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 59067 times)

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

I am offended you would consider Emily to be anything more than a loving homage to Kasuga Ayumu, April. I mean, she's most certainly not as awesome.

(Btw, this is not that I haven't read your post. I just think that I'd probably rush some conclusion or say something utterly dumb and ruin it for everybody even more. I do agree that doing something that literally nobody's seen before is both hard and an exercise in futility as not many people would vouch for it)
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

I am offended you would consider Emily to be anything more than a loving homage to Kasuga Ayumu, April. I mean, she's most certainly not as awesome.

Where would you draw the line between homage and expy, if it were up to you?

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

I recall us going back and forth for six rounds (and 3600 words between the two of us) before I decided I had nothing to say that would move you, and didn't want to hear more from you that would hurt me.

And the things you said were what? All hearts and flowers? What did you expect out of future interactions?
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

Let's just agree to leave each other alone, okay? Keep on squeeing. There is enough room in this forum for both of us.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

I could probably see more of Osaka on Emily if they didn't have different interests or Emily didn't take up the space of 3 osakas.

Seriously, Emily is really huge.

Now to the serious part. The defining trait of osaka is not straight-up wackyness. Osaka is a quick wit, with a very laid back personality, different worries (like why does the cream bun have bumps), and a frame of mind that allows her to be awesome at puns and riddles. The part where the homage comes is that all those characteristics end up in Osaka being weird at times (more like most of the time), but it's a consequence more than an end, and Emily is weird in a way vaguely resembling that of Osaka. But she's not weird as a consequence, it's more like an act. But apart from that and the last name "Azuma", there's little more in her of Kasuga.

I will believe expy when she proves able to outrun Momo in a vocabulary riddle, since that little moment is what truly defines Osaka.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

Well said, osaka! :)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I recall us going back and forth for six rounds (and 3600 words between the two of us) before I decided I had nothing to say that would move you, and didn't want to hear more from you that would hurt me.

And the things you said were what? All hearts and flowers? What did you expect out of future interactions?
Let's just agree to leave each other alone, okay? Keep on squeeing. There is enough room in this forum for both of us.

Now now, we can all be friends and settle these little tiffs reasonably.

*holds up a two battle spatulas.*

"The winner is in the right. May the odds be ever in your favor."
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

5 bucks say they both have to fix different parts of the coffeeshop afterwards.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Marigold and Dale (happy), Veronica and Jim (happy), Marten and Claire (happy happy happy), Faye and Pintsize (punches).

I'm an old softie but I'd like the last panel to be divided in two: Faye on her own in a bar of some kind and the last panel her looking up with a surprised expression at a new male character who has stepped up and is trying to start a conversation with her.

The message? Life goes on.

Nah, I don't see that happening--not for a bedtime strip, at least.  1328 and 2554 both showed the major relationships going on at the time, along with Pintsize bothering one of the single characters, and with the latter comic showing the changes since the first:

1328: Marten & Dora, Faye & Sven, Penelope & Wil, with Hannelore & Pintsize as a punchline.
2554: Dora & Tai, Faye & Angus, Steve & Cosette, with Marten & Pintsize as a punchline.

• Wil & Penelope were still together as of 2554 (and are still together)(and Penelope hasn't been seen much lately), so there's no need to depict them in any hypothetical Sleeping Montage #3.
  • Hannelore remains single, ditto.
  • Dora broke up with Marten and got together with Tai--which, barring fallout from the Svenectomy, is unlikely to change, so they're out too.
  • Steve & Cosette became a couple between those two strips and aren't likely to change.
  • Meanwhile, Marten went from dating Dora to being single to dating Claire, so they're obvious candidates whether or not they end up having sex anytime soon (doubtful--they'll probably take things slow, but I can still see them spending a few nights together before getting too intimate).
  • Faye & Sven imploded, and now she & Angus are crumbling, so unless she gets back together with Sven, she gets to be the Pintsize punchline.
  • Meanwhile, the only other new relationships since 2554 are Marigold & Dale and Veronica & Jim.

So my original outline--Marigold & Dale, Veronica & Jim, Marten & Claire, Faye punching Pintsize--still stands.  It took over a thousand strips for all the changes between Sleeping Montages #1 & #2 to occur, but less than 300 for these new developments to happen. Whether or not Jeph eventually depicts these changes in Sleeping Montage #3 is another thing entirely.  Hope so.  Otherwise this post is just going to look silly and obsessive for nothing.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Be a good little woman and back away so my betters can talk about politics? Sorry, not going to stand back so you can dominate the threads. If another POV needs to be offered, it'll be offered.

Now now, we can all be friends and settle these little tiffs reasonably.

"The winner is in the right. May the odds be ever in your favor."

Am I on Iron Chef? Are we making pancakes?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I normally use Kukris for this sort of thing, but battles to the death with Malaysian battle spatulas is a forum tradition.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

[Marten and Claire will] probably take things slow, but I can still see them spending a few nights together before getting too intimate).

That would be pretty unremarkable, as QC relationships go:

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

In the other hand, Dale and Marigold; Steve and Cosette*, and Veronica and Jim, all three couples got to bonin' pretty quickly. There's been many relationships in QC over the years, so I'd say that both tendencies would be unremarkable based on earlier relationships.

This second trend would be more remarkable in this case for reasons mentioned in other threads.

*Although Cosette had to postpone it mid-sex because she felt her whole back snapping. Point still stands.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I'll see your battle spatulas and raise you one war ladle.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

Be a good little woman and back away so my betters can talk about politics? Sorry, not going to stand back so you can dominate the threads. If another POV needs to be offered, it'll be offered.

What the actual fuck?

Why did your "POV" that my commentary was reminiscent of a homophobic "well behaved mormon woman" "need to be offered"? Why not link The Slant's article? Or Fandoms and Feminism's? Or The Daily Dot's? Or After Ellen's? There were four ways to make the exact same point without placing my rhetorical style beside a horrible bigot's.

Please. Leave. Me. Alone. Say whatever you want about the stubborn, hypercritical, hair-splitting wrongness of my arguments, but leave me out of it.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

[Marten and Claire will] probably take things slow, but I can still see them spending a few nights together before getting too intimate).

That would be pretty unremarkable, as QC relationships go

Yeah, good point.  Yay for taking things slow.

In the other hand, Dale and Marigold; Steve and Cosette*, and Veronica and Jim, all three couples got to bonin' pretty quickly.

Also Faye and Sven.  So, yay for bonin' pretty quickly, too.  Yay for consent and respecting comfort levels, etc.  Anyway, 'twas just an observation.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

I normally use Kukris for this sort of thing, but battles to the death with Malaysian battle spatulas is a forum tradition.

What the hell! I don't want to _kill_ April.

What the actual fuck?

Why did your "POV" that my commentary was reminiscent of a homophobic "well behaved mormon woman" "need to be offered"? Why not link The Slant's article? Or Fandoms and Feminism's? Or The Daily Dot's? Or After Ellen's? There were four ways to make the exact same point without placing my rhetorical style beside a horrible bigot's.

Please. Leave. Me. Alone. Say whatever you want about the stubborn, hypercritical, hair-splitting wrongness of my arguments, but leave me out of it.

Single minded zealotry.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

For some reason I read that my comment put you in an uncomfortable spot Gladstone. If that's the case I'm sorry. I was just trying to make a point and lighten the mood, and I though a bit of crassness would help.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

Single minded zealotry.

Do you really not see the difference between arguing against the thing that was said and attacking the person who said it?

Gladstone

• The Tickler

For some reason I read that my comment put you in an uncomfortable spot Gladstone. If that's the case I'm sorry. I was just trying to make a point and lighten the mood, and I though a bit of crassness would help.

Nah, no worries.  I wanted to acknowledge your comment but I also couldn't think of anything interesting to add, so the awkwardness is all me.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Single minded zealotry.

Do you really not see the difference between arguing against the thing that was said and attacking the person who said it?

Do you really not see that when you made your comment we weren't talking about the little mermaid or trans-anything? We can talk about those things, it comes up in conversation often enough, but you couldn't let things pass without turning the conversation around to it. That's zealotry.

The Mormon woman said, you're enjoying a movie OMG don't know know you should be talking about the evil gay agenda.

You said, hey a funny reference to a guest strip OMG you should talk about trans themes in fish related media.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I'll put my lurking hand up and say that valkygrrl needs to back off. Other people declared to enjoy April's input, you're welcome to ignore it if it's not your cup of tea. As it stands, I do not appreciate reading your harassment when she is clearly trying to not engage with you/certainly not in any way attacking you.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Perhaps it's time for a separate thread? Anyone else's posts seem to be getting swamped in the turbulence at the confluence of the Exegesis and Response rivers.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Perhaps it's time for a separate thread? Anyone else's posts seem to be getting swamped in the turbulence at the confluence of the Exegesis and Response rivers.

I was going to try to start next week's poll & thread tomorrow afternoon in order to preempt Kugai or anyone else in Far Eastern Timezones, but I could always do it now instead?  The poll I was gonna do last week is still relevant, kinda.

(Not bitter about missing my chance last week AT ALL.)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Go for it and let's see what happens.

NOTE: Not a mod, don't even play one on TV.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

NOTE: Not a mod, don't even play one on TV.

Oops, wasn't paying attention, assumed you were.  Ah well, we can spend the weekend filling up next week's discussion, then start a new discussion for the following week?  It's never too early to talk turkey.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Go for broke Gladstone, I ain't got nuttin'
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

'I respect your right to believe that' means 'I don't think you should suffer legal consequences for that belief'
So "respect" means no more than "I don't think you should be flung in jail", but any insult, expression of contempt, or social ostracism short of that is just fine?
Good question.  And I'm not sure how to answer.  Shunning/isolation is a useful extra-legal tool for dealing with totally horrible people without resorting to violence.  Then again, it can also be used against innocent people, for say just being to "x" for their gender/race/class/culture/religion, etc.  Which raises the question of if || when it's okay to do so.  I know personally, I have no problem shunning and insulting racists/homophobes/sexists, and the like.

“We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.” — H.L. Mencken, 1956

Which I interpret to mean that we don't disrespect it to his face, but snickering about it behind his back is perfectly okay.  8-)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Oh, heavens to Murgatroyd. I demand protection from my opinions being disagreed with. </sarcasm>
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2014, 09:13 by DSL »

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

The Mormon woman said, you're enjoying a movie OMG don't know know you should be talking about the evil gay agenda.

You said, hey a funny reference to a guest strip OMG you should talk about trans themes in fish related media.
And... We're supposed to see these statements as completely equivalent?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Ashilana

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I'll put my lurking hand up and say that valkygrrl needs to back off. Other people declared to enjoy April's input, you're welcome to ignore it if it's not your cup of tea. As it stands, I do not appreciate reading your harassment when she is clearly trying to not engage with you/certainly not in any way attacking you.

I hate that this is my first post, but I have to agree with Fenriswolf.

I really wish I had registered a while back and made a random squee post. 

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

I think it's a sign I'm getting old when I see chain of conversation I want to engage on (especially the original story of Hua Mulan) and just say to myself "Nah. Akima will get it."

See, I take it as a sign that I'm getting old when I look at an argument, decide pretty much immediately which side I agree with and which side has their heads up their asses, and then decide that I don't give enough of a shit to get involved in internet drama.  Unless I'm poking the zealots.  Poking the zealots to watch them froth is always funny, even if I nominally agree with whatever they're fanatical about. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

(mod)Poking people to see them froth is trolling. If you want to have that fun, have it on another forum.

Global Moderator Comment The Valkygrrl/AprilArcus quarrel does not belong here and one way or another it will go elsewhere.
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2014, 11:42 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
    • LDOriginals: GLBT friendly costumes, sweets, and more

'I respect your right to believe that' means 'I don't think you should suffer legal consequences for that belief'
So "respect" means no more than "I don't think you should be flung in jail", but any insult, expression of contempt, or social ostracism short of that is just fine?
'I respect your right to that belief' is not the same statement as 'I respect that belief'.  The former, as I noted, states only one thing, although usually 'legal sanction' is expanded to include things like opposing private employment and housing discrimination based on e.g. religion.
For instance, I respect people's right to believe that the Earth is 6000 years old, (but not to teach same in schools), but I will invariably mock such beliefs, and generally the people who hold them, and feel no guilt about it, because it's a patently stupid thing to believe. 
Then there are beliefs that I don't respect people's right to have, or at any rate to act on; for instance, the belief that praying over a sick child is equivalent to seeking medical help is one that damn well should carry legal sanction (but doesn't in most of the U.S.).
My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up